• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rechargable Headlamp

Monica A

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk the Camino May 2017
I recently purchased the ENO MoonBean Rechargeable headlamp. I have an adapter with USB connections however I'm wondering if I'll need a converter? Thoughts?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm wondering if I'll need a converter?
Probably not. USB ports accept both 110v and 220v. However, you need an adapter for U.S. plugs. Be sure the adapters are 220v compatible. I fried an Apple USB cube, though it said it was both 110 and 220v. Resistance devices, electric heating coils and hair dryers, may blow up if subjected to 220v current.

you could buy a solar powered battery pack and charge your headlamp and other gadgets from this. Usb connectors are usually 5, 5 volt. That´s what I do with a lot of things I bring along...
OR you plug the battery pack into the sockets via small converters that you buy in the country you travel ie correct voltage and sockets. Then you charge gadgets on the go when needs be....for instance your mobile .

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Look at your charger. It probably says 100-240v 50/60 hz. That means that it will work with Spanish electricity except you will need an adapter so the plug will fit the Spanish outlets. It probably will cost about $10. Forget it. When in Spain just buy a similar charger there. Then you only carry one piece of equipment. Give it away when you leave the country.

you could buy a solar powered battery pack and charge your headlamp and other gadgets from this. Usb connectors are usually 5, 5 volt. That´s what I do with a lot of things I bring along...
OR you plug the battery pack into the sockets via small converters that you buy in the country you travel ie correct voltage and sockets. Then you charge gadgets on the go when needs be....for instance your mobile .
Those solar chargers tend to be heavy and very sloooow at charging.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I consider a headlamp a "might need".
Consider the following:
1. Why do you need it in the first place.
2. If you don't know your own person in the dark...well.
3. Are you carrying a smart phone? Has light of its own.
4. Head lamps are for dark nights. If it's that dark you should be asleep.
5. Now, think about it.
Anyone who is walking in the summer when they may want to start before dawn, so that they aren't walking during the hottest time of the day should probably bring a headlamp.

That said, I don't see a need for a rechargeable headlamp. I bought a headlamp from the dollar bin at Walmart, and it was lightweight and perfectly satisfactory for the few days that I needed it.

I just checked the headlamp I bought a year ago for my CF last April, it cost me less than 30 bucks. Never used it, battery still OK. Bought a normal non-rechargeable battery, shame on me. Tiny LED uses very little juice, blindingly bright. I'll use my phone next time if I need a light - the battery is so huge relative to tiny LED that it's mega-efficient, would probably last a week and it's rechargeable. There are a few things I won't take next time to save weight, headlamp is on the list, I'll give it away. The argument for headlamps is that they leave your hands free if you break your leg and need both hands to read a map (?!) or crawl to safety. Looks like I'm doomed or I'll slobber all over my phone holding it in my mouth.

Mike

Anyone who is walking in the summer when they may want to start before dawn

Thats what I love about walking in June & July. Wake up at 4:30 am, annoy the hell out of everyone else in the Albergue and be outside on the pavement by 5:30. Use my headlamp to find a couple of arrows and head off in probably the right direction then notice that it is actually light anyway and that I'm going in the wrong direction. Head back to the Albergue by which time it is full daylight and I can walk briskly for another 6 hours arriving at my destination at least an hour before anyone is serving lunch and probably 4 hours before the Albergue opens. Drink too much beer and fall asleep in the shade. Wake up two hours later in blinding sunshine and with a crashing hang-over. Stumble to Albergue grateful as ever that I brought my headlamp with me.... ;);)

http://www.sunrise-and-sunset.com/en/sun/spain/burgos/2016/july/6

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I made the mistake of bringing a battery headlamp on my first Camino. You have ti keep buying new batteries. On a future Camino, especially if it is the Frances, I will bring a USB headlamp. A headlamp is good for starting in the early morning walking. If you have a red light function, it is good to have to gather your things in the albergue, so that you do not wake up and disturb your fellow peregrinos. Unfortunately, many peregrinos do not think about this with their white lights in the early morning. And I definitely used my headlamp more than once, as in late spring and summer it is cooler to start in the early morning, and be done walking by siesta if possible.

The simple solution, and a huge weight saving measure, would be to purchase a European power adapter with USB output from Amazon.com or other retailer. You can also wait until arriving in Europe to pick one up (should be less than 10 Euros). These devices have the Europlug round pins (Type-C) and are designed to work with the 220-volt/50-hertz power found in Europe, thus saving the need for a travel adapter or transformer.

Buen Camino!!!

I think I'm squared away then. I did purchase a European power adapter with USB output. Thank you all for your feedback!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
For what its worth. I used a LED headlamp extensively for early morning starts (red LED used not bright white light!), late endings and overnight wild camping. It took 3 AAA batteries (which here in UK come in packs of 10 or so from the ÂŁ1 shop) and required only one battery change per camino. The headlamp proved its worth and even with spare batteries still weighed just under 100g. Once again there is no right or wrong answer for what to take it just depends on what you know you are going to use and what you are prepared to carry.
Don.

If you plan on traveling outside Europe after/before your Camino, I'd suggest getting a universal wall-plug converter. They're not too expensive and you'll be able to use it in the UK and Asia ++

The USB portion shouldn't need a separate converter.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back