• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking poles in cabin baggage Dublin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy Barr

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances ,Le Puy, Norte,Primitivo, VDLP,Ingles,Portuguese, Mozarabe
Hi does anyone have up to date info on carrying your walking poles as part of cabin baggage with Aer Lingus Santiago to Dublin. Thank You.

Reactions: AML
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi does anyone have up to date info on carrying your walking poles as part of cabin baggage with Aer Lingus Santiago to Dublin. Thank You.

Aer Lingus perhaps?

I would not put trust in any statement made on this forum regarding airline and airline security as it pertains to baggage.

Aena manages Spain's airports. Here is Aena website regarding hand baggage: http://www.aena.es/en/passengers/hand-luggage.html

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Tommy,
Aer lingus is not the issue here, its santiago airport security regulations.
you definately will not be able to carry poles as hand luggage through security at Santiago. I have heard but cannot confirm the truth, that aer lingus will let you check in poles for free.

We have taken two sets folded and put in one checked rucksack and used the other rucksack as cabin baggage, when we have flown both Ryanair to St Jean and to and from Santiago/Dublin with Are Lingus, but I would never risk taking them on board with us, its not worth it.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks folks for the info. Aidan will email you good to hear from you

Hi Tommy
There is always the option of posting your poles a number of days before you leave to your starting point. It's just a matter of contacting your first accommodation. I hope to do that at the end of Leon. It saves you a few euro checking in.

Most of these answers are talking about the fact that on the return flight from Santiago, the poles will not be permitted through security at Santiago airport, no matter what airline you are taking. The question of carrying the poles onto the plane from Dublin to fly to Santiago will depend on the security policy/practice at Dublin airport. So you would have to ask the Dublin airport security people.

It is possible that you will be able to carry your poles with cabin baggage on the way from Dublin to Santiago, but not on the return flight.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Most of these answers are talking about the fact that on the return flight from Santiago, the poles will not be permitted through security at Santiago airport, no matter what airline you are taking. The question of carrying the poles onto the plane from Dublin to fly to Santiago will depend on the security policy/practice at Dublin airport. So you would have to ask the Dublin airport security people.

It is possible that you will be able to carry your poles with cabin baggage on the way from Dublin to Santiago, but not on the return flight.
The OP's question was specifically about the return flight, not about travelling from Dublin.

One thing the conversations on this topic do is highlight that there are consistent rules, based on the technical guides from the ICAO and made into regulations by national aviation safety agencies such as the TSA and EASA, and inconsistent application of these rules by humans working on the security checkpoints in airports.

Relying on the human factor has its risks, but certainly the security staff at Santiago have gained a reputation on this forum for being diligent in their application of the rules regarding trekking poles.

You can never tell what airport security will do. I knew I wasn’t allowed hiking poles in the cabin from Santiago, but what about a long big umbrella with all its metal spikes? Santiago security let me take it onboard. Madrid security let me take it onboard. But in Johannesburg, for the little 20 seater plane back to Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport, I had to check it in. Convinced I would never see it again, although now almost home, I was pleasantly surprised when an airport employee handed it over to me at the other end. Jill

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I didn't do it myself but Aer Lingus certainly had free check-in for poles last year at Santiago.

You probably have the answer already. By the way, it is not the airline (Aer Lingus) that is the problem, but airport security. I had the same question myself and asked security at Dublin airport one time when I was passing through. The risk is the sharp pole ends when you remove the rubbers. And, the advice from airport security was that there is every chance that they will not be allowed through and, therefore, it is not worth taking the risk of carrying them hand luggage. For me, the risk of checking in the luggage is - that the bag might not turn up. On the way home, that would be fine because it will eventually turn up, but on the way out, your Camino is in tatters without your bag. I am going back in May this year, (Dublin Madrid - Via de la Plata) and I am thinking of checking the four poles (two of us travelling) and carrying the bags hand luggage. Then, if the poles don't turn up, it is not the end of the world. They can always be replaced in Madrid. But the bag is critical.
Dave

Airport security at Santiago will confiscate your poles unless you check them. They are renowned for it.
Not always true. Last September I left my pole in Santiago (cue for a song) because I've been caught before only to watch a lady board our Ryanair flight not only with her hiking pole in hand but with it fully extended!
Still wouldn't take the chance though.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I must be missing something about the number of people who wish to treat their back pack and poles as carry on luggage.
We have checked our back packs each year along with our poles. We have a light weight over bag we zip our back packs into.
I carry a small folding utility knife as well as a multi tool that includes a cork screw, so none of this would be allowed in with carry on luggage.
Have had absolutely no luggage issues in three years.
No needless worry on a given day will they or won't they let me board with my back pack and poles. I have expensive carbon fibre poles and be unhappy to get them confiscated.
I am sure it comes down to in some cases who is on staff in security on a given day, so it is rolling the dice if you can board with your poles or not on a given day.

Last year we were allowed to check in my husband's walking poles for free. He had been injured and unable to walk without them, but gave them up when a wheelchair was provided. I don't know if our unusual circumstances were the reason or not. Realistically though, I don't want people to be able to carry anything onboard the cabin which could be used as a weapon.

I must be missing something about the number of people who wish to treat their back pack and poles as carry on luggage.
We have checked our back packs each year along with our poles. We have a light weight over bag we zip our back packs into.
Hi ZREXTER The bit that you may be missing is that the return fare from Dublin this year for us is 49Euros + Taxes return and therefore it can cost more to check in the poles than to fly return.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'd like to take my poles, (PLAN A) Hoping to take all my camino items in backpack as carry-on...I have purchased a clear shipping tube that I plan to check with my poles, metal spork and a swiss army knife. Has anyone done this before and did the tube arrive on the same flight/time as you?
(PLAN B) Flying into and out of Barcelona, so thinking any luggage, shipping tube, etc., I may check to carry camino items, I could possibly leave at hotel that I stay at in Barcelona. Has anyone done this before and results?
Thank you,
Kathie

I have purchased a clear shipping tube that I plan to check with my poles, metal spork and a swiss army knife. Has anyone done this before and did the tube arrive on the same flight/time as you?

Hi Kathie, yes, I did this last year. I put my poles, knife and liquids (shampoo, etc) into a separate bag, checked that into the hold, and took my pack as carry-on. I was flying from South Africa to Bordeaux via a change in Madrid. The separate bag arrived on the same plane in Bordeaux. I did have Plan B: I knew where the Decathlon store was in Bordeaux, so that if my bag didn’t arrive I could replace the items that had gone missing.

Flying into and out of Barcelona, so thinking any luggage, shipping tube, etc., I may check to carry camino items, I could possibly leave at hotel that I stay at in Barcelona. Has anyone done this before and results?

Yes, done this before too. Booked a hotel at the start and end of a trip, and had it confirmed in writing (email) when booking that I would be able to leave a small bag with them for about 3 weeks.

Jill

A selection of Camino Jewellery
unhappy to get them confiscated.
They don't confiscate unless the item is illegal! They just don't let certain items through. So you either give them up, or you take them back. You can take the items back and check them through. You just need to allow the time to do so.

Has anyone done this before and did the tube arrive on the same flight/time as you?
Whether you use a tube, suitcase, or cardboard box, if you check the item as your luggage it almost always travels on the same plane with you. If it misses a connection it should be on the next fight!

I ve brought poles from Dublin to Santiago and it wasn't a problem in hand luggage . However on the way home I was told by Santiago security they would have to be checked in . We bought lidl ones which were great and not expensive if you're worried they may be discarded .
Returning with poles from Madrid with aer lingus was not a problem either .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back