• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is a sleeping bag necessary on the Frances in the summer?

J

JJP

It weighs a lot when one is aiming to carry only 10% of one's body weight, but of course if it can get cold at night in some places along the way then it is necessary. How cold can it get?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
July Camino Frances? No, you don't need a sleeping bag.
Just get yourself a synthetic or silk (or faux silk) sleeping bag liner. I walked last July-August and that's what I used. Worked great. Small and lightweight. About the size of a soda can when stuffed in carry bag.

I bought a light blanket. Light weight as well....I didn't need any more than that. I'm doing the same on the Via De La Plata in March and April.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I agree with the above posters; nay to the sleeping bag.
I prefer a silk liner as it "breathes" better than synthetic and is thought to protect against bedbugs. I find this psychologically reassuring!
Buen Camino

Silk liner, definitely. If freezing weather (!?!) is met, ask for a blanket (manta).;)

How about if you're a cold sleeper? Are albergues really that warm in july-august? Even in Ocebreiro?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I went in April and then again in late October/November. Sleeping bag definitely not necessary. Thin silk sleeping bag liner is best idea. Blankets are usually available. I took long silk underwear for PJ's and all was good.

I would recommend taking a super lightweight (quilt-style?) sleeping bag.
Depending on the altitude and the weather, it can get pretty cold at night and don't count on albergues having blankets available.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When does "summer" start and end for your Camino? If including May, then yes. Mid-October? Then yes. July? Nope.

On the Camino Frances in 2015 my sleeping bag was too warm so I bought a light weight version. There is a European standard for sleeping bag ratings and the one I bought had a comfort rating of 13 degrees centigrade (55F), a thermal equilibrium limit (lower limit) of 10 degrees centigrade (50F) and an extreme limit of -1 degrees centigrade (30F). I used the sleeping bag during most of June mainly as a blanket. For most of July in Galicia I didn't use it at all.

Wikipedia discusses the sleeping bag standard at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EN_13537

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
How about if you're a cold sleeper? Are albergues really that warm in july-august? Even in Ocebreiro?
This past July-August on the Camino Frances it was very warm. A few nights so warm in the albergues that I slept on top of the liner. I could not imagine having brought an actual sleeping bag then. It would have been ditched. You'd be surprised how warm they can get, especially when there is 20-30 pilgrims in there, and someone decided to be archaic and shut all the doors and windows. I have left the sleeping area before and sought cooler grounds on a couch in the albergue's common area. One night I slept on top of a picnic type table they had there. It was kinda nice. I've slept on worse things...:D

There is no evidence silk has any effect on bedbugs. This is an urban myth.
I met one couple on the CF that had bag liners that were a color (I don't remember exactly which) that they had heard repels bedbugs. Unfortunately people believe caca like that.
and to the OP of this thread which is about sleeping bags, not bedbugs.....don't worry about bedbugs. I have over 120 days on the Camino. I have never encountered a bedbug. Never.

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked late August through September. I used a silk liner, and had this very lightweight down blanket for the few cool nights I encountered. I also used the blanket under my silk liner as an extra layer between me and the sometimes plasticky mattress covers.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
they told me color, not content....
Yes. One study has been reported that says that bedbugs like to hide in black and dark-red places rather than bright yellow or green. That makes sense as they are less visible to predators! That doesn't mean that they won't go hunting in a yellow or purple sleeping bag with a yummy person in it!

"I always joke with people, 'Make sure you get yellow sheets!'" study co-author Corraine McNeill, an assistant professor of biology at Union College in Lincoln, Nebraska, said in a statement. "But to be very honest, I think that would be stretching the results a little too much."

It weighs a lot when one is aiming to carry only 10% of one's body weight, but of course if it can get cold at night in some places along the way then it is necessary. How cold can it get?

I always carry a lightweight sleeping bag especially in mid-summer, just in case I have to sleep outside. I’m usually the last to leave the albergue, have a leisurely breakfast and when all the hordes have gone walk alone. I stop about 2pm for a long “menu del dia” lunch, walk another hour or two, and then find a bed about 5pm (in winter) or 6pm (in summer). But if you are like everyone else and leave early, rush to get a bed, sit around all afternoon, then no problem, just take the liner. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
But if you are like everyone else and leave early, rush to get a bed, sit around all afternoon, then no problem, just take the liner. :)

Or if you like to get up late, have a leisurely breakfast, stop for a menu del dia walk for another couple of hours but have booked your bed the previous evening to ensure you will have a roof over your head for the night. :)

Or if you like to get up late, have a leisurely breakfast, stop for a menu del dia walk for another couple of hours but have booked your bed the previous evening to ensure you will have a roof over your head for the night. :)

But make sure you call them again before 3pm, or they will give your bed away thinking you are not going to arrive. :eek:

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I walked the Frances in late August - October with only a sea to summit bag liner and I cannot imagine bringing anything else. Last June-July I walked the Portuguese Camino with the same bag liner but treated it first with Permethrin and had no trouble sleeping or with bed bugs. For more details on what I carried and why you can visit here: https://brickthomasblog.wordpress.com/2013/10/17/camino-what-to-pack/

Dear all!
When I walked the Frances in february (2014) I brought a sleeping bag, but didn't use it once, because there were thick blankets in all albuerges. Now I'm going to walk the Camino Catalan.

Do anyone have experience from the Camino Catatan, and how the blanket situation in these albuerges are?

Some will say yes, others will say no. It all depends on you. Do you sleep hot or cold? There are some excellent yet tiny sleeping bags available these days; I tend to take one "just in case" and it's not often used but I'm glad when I need it. I sleep very hot by the way.
Ultreïa

A selection of Camino Jewellery
July Camino Frances? No, you don't need a sleeping bag.
Just get yourself a synthetic or silk (or faux silk) sleeping bag liner. I walked last July-August and that's what I used. Worked great. Small and lightweight. About the size of a soda can when stuffed in carry bag.
Hello.
How about May? I was going to bring my mummy sleeping bag as I heard about albergues not as warm inside even in summer and also bedbugs in case. I am not too picky about hygienic stuff but someone wrote something about beds being not cleaned regularly..

silk liner+pareo (multifunctional: sheet, towel, lining of sitting, cape, protection from the sun ....)

Hello.
How about May? I was going to bring my mummy sleeping bag as I heard about albergues not as warm inside even in summer and also bedbugs in case. I am not too picky about hygienic stuff but someone wrote something about beds being not cleaned regularly..
I have never been on the Camino in May, and I'm sure it's cooler weather then, but I just can't imagine the albergues being that much colder. I would say that if you bring a sleeping bag for sure bring the lightest smallest one you can. A summer temp rated one. If it weighs more than 1 1\2 pounds that's probably too heavy.
I never stayed in any albergues that looked unkept or dirty and made it a point to stay in ones with mattresses on the bed that were rubber or vinyl covered if I could.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello.
Bring it in May. I froze in May of 2013 on the Frances, and I am a person who sleeps with the window open at home by 30below. If you don't get a good night of sleep it makes for a very difficult Camino.

In summer albergues will tend to be hot, especially with all those nodies in there, and the disagreements regarding whether windows should be open or closed. As for bed bugs, if, you want your sleeping bag to help protect you, you must spray it with permethryn, but any body part sticking out of the bag is still fair game. This is why I now bring a super light piece of material sprayed with permethryn to cover the mattres and put the sleeping bag/liner on top.

Sleeping bag liner worked well for me. I like to tuck my valuables in with me. Had one night in San Juan de Ortega where it was cool so I slept in my clothes. Made starting out in the morning quicker.

I started last week of May last year and only took a silk liner, didn't need a sleeping bag at all.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have never been on the Camino in May, and I'm sure it's cooler weather then, but I just can't imagine the albergues being that much colder. I would say that if you bring a sleeping bag for sure bring the lightest smallest one you can. A summer temp rated one. If it weighs more than 1 1\2 pounds that's probably too heavy.
I never stayed in any albergues that looked unkept or dirty and made it a point to stay in ones with mattresses on the bed that were rubber or vinyl covered if I could.

Thanks for replying. OK. I haven't weighed my sleeping bag yet. Maybe I should. It's a three season bag. Not quite heavy I think. but it will take up 1/3 of my backpack for sure.
Now I am not sure whether I want to take it or not...

Bring it in May. I froze in May of 2013 on the Frances, and I am a person who sleeps with the window open at home by 30below. If you don't get a good night of sleep it makes for a very difficult Camino.

In summer albergues will tend to be hot, especially with all those nodies in there, and the disagreements regarding whether windows should be open or closed. As for bed bugs, if, you want your sleeping bag to help protect you, you must spray it with permethryn, but any body part sticking out of the bag is still fair game. This is why I now bring a super light piece of material sprayed with permethryn to cover the mattres and put the sleeping bag/liner on top.

Me too. I sleep with the window slightly open most of the time. thanks for the tips about bedbugs. Will keep that in mind.
Now I am not really sure if I should bring it or not. I gave up the idea of camping because my backpack can't take up that much stuff plus my other personal stuff but I didn't abandon the idea of bringing a sleeping bag.

Thanks for replying. OK. I haven't weighed my sleeping bag yet. Maybe I should. It's a three season bag. Not quite heavy I think. but it will take up 1/3 of my backpack for sure.
Now I am not sure whether I want to take it or not...
If your bag is bigger than this (more or less), I would think it's too big.
190-75cm-Foldable-Lightweight-Envelope-Sleeping-Bag.jpg
If your bag weighs more than around 700 grams it's too heavy.
You can find lightweight, packable inexpensive ones on the internet on amazon.com. You don't need a really durable high tech one. The Camino isn't rough on equipment. Also many albergues have blankets available.
As far as bedbugs go, I never encountered a single one in over 120 nights on the Camino. Personally I wouldn't soak down anything I sleep in with toxic, possibly carcinogenic, chemicals. The only thought I ever gave to bedbugs on the Camino had to do with the choosing of the albergues I sleep in. Like I said before, look at the beds (rubber or vinyl covered mattresses)and the overall cleanliness of the floors, walls, etc.
ultreia

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Agree with a lot of fellow pilgrims here , walked from Sept 03 to mid November on Frances, Finisterra, Muxia, Porto , Primitivo, lightvweight liner was all I needed.
Heading out on the Norte in Sept 2017 with a liner

Bueno Camino to all

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.