• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

GSB Pass to Vercelli in 10 days (August 2017)

aussieval

Hi all, I'm planning to walk the Italian part of the VF in stages, starting this August 2017 from the GSB Pass to Vercelli (197 km). I've just booked my tickets and I'm very excited (and a little scared too). I wonder if anyone could help me with these questions:

1. What's the best itinerary to cover GSB Pass-Vercelli in 10 days? ( 15-25km per day is my comfortable average) - I'd appreciate your comments especially about days 5, 6 and 8 below:
  1. GSBP - Etroubles (14 km)
  2. Etroubles - Aosta (19 km)
  3. Aosta - Nus (17.5 km)
  4. Nus - Chatillon (12.5 km)
  5. Chatillon - Issogne (or Verres??) (24 or 25.5km)
  6. Issogne (or Verres) - Pt St Martin (19 or 17.5 km)
  7. Pt St Martin - Ivrea (26 km)
  8. Ivrea - Piverone (or Viverone??) (17 or 22km)
  9. Piverone (or Viverone) - Santhia (21 or 16km)
  10. Santhia - Vercelli (26.5km)
2. Can I stay at the Hospice for more than one night, or even one night, if I arrive NOT on foot? If I can't, what's my best option? (Hotel de l'Hospice or Hotel Italia on the Italian side?)

3. What's the easiest way to get to GSB Pass from Milan airport (Malpensa?) And from Vercelli back to Milan? Would you recommend getting train tickets in advance?

4. Any gear tips for this particular stretch of the VF in August? How cold does it get at the top, do i need to take real winter stuff? Do I need 'super' water proof boots (mine aren't really)? And what about the mosquitos after Santhia?? Will I need heavy duty repellent or insect nets? Will I need a sleeping bag and/or liner if I'm not planning to camp? What about a clothes drying line? Any other tips equipment wise for this stage, in August? (I'm a small girl, so trying to keep weight as low as possible)

5. I plan to use Alison Raju's guide. I have a borrowed copy, first edition, 2014. Does anybody know if this is the latest edition, or if there are plans for a new edition before August this year?

6. How reliable are the waymarks during this stage? Can anyone recommend a good app for offline maps if i need help with navigation? Or has anyone downloaded and used waypoints/GPS tracks onto an app for navigation, is that too difficult to do? (I heard the lightfoot guides have these waypoints available for download - does anyone know if the Cicerone guide has them too??)

7. Any accommodation tips for this stage? Should I book in advance, all places or the hospice only, how far in advance? Any places you'd particularly recommend? Any places to avoid?? What's the best, most updated or comprehensive accommodation list for the VF?

8. How much do you suggest i budget for each day (i'm walking alone, so won't be able to share rooms).

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I look forward to any tips or advice.

Ciao for now, Val (from Australia)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Last edited:
You could reach the hospice by a combination of train and bus: train to Aosta then bus to GSB. As this would mostly be by local and regional services there should be no need to book in advance.

Many people begin their walk at GSB so there should be no problem about arriving at the hospice by bus. In fact in August 2015 I was offered a lift for the final 5km or so up the Swiss side of the pass by one of the sisters living and working there. I do not know if the hospice permits stays of more than one night. I suggest you contact them through their website. Even in mid-August the daytime temperature was 5C and reached freezing point overnight. However, the hospice is well heated and you very quickly descend to lower altitudes the next day. There should be no need for winter gear just for the few hours descent to Etroubles and beyond.

I think mosquito nets would be overkill for your time in the rice fields, though a face net might be worthwhile. Certainly I would use insect repellant. I found the insects very irritating in the Po valley - so much so that I know for certain that I will not walk the whole VF again.

I did not book accommodation in advance as I prefer to be flexible in my walking. Even in the past two years there has been a marked increase in the number of walkers and accommodation. However, you may find it reassuring to have reservations. The viefrancigene.org website publishes a regularly updated list which includes contact details. They also have downloadable maps, gps tracks and a navigation app. Signposting is very good and I found the free maps adequate except in larger towns where Google Maps on my phone proved useful.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You could reach the hospice by a combination of train and bus: train to Aosta then bus to GSB. As this would mostly be by local and regional services there should be no need to book in advance.

Many people begin their walk at GSB so there should be no problem about arriving at the hospice by bus. In fact in August 2015 I was offered a lift for the final 5km or so up the Swiss side of the pass by one of the sisters living and working there. I do not know if the hospice permits stays of more than one night. I suggest you contact them through their website. Even in mid-August the daytime temperature was 5C and reached freezing point overnight. However, the hospice is well heated and you very quickly descend to lower altitudes the next day. There should be no need for winter gear just for the few hours descent to Etroubles and beyond.

I think mosquito nets would be overkill for your time in the rice fields, though a face net might be worthwhile. Certainly I would use insect repellant. I found the insects very irritating in the Po valley - so much so that I know for certain that I will not walk the whole VF again.

I did not book accommodation in advance as I prefer to be flexible in my walking. Even in the past two years there has been a marked increase in the number of walkers and accommodation. However, you may find it reassuring to have reservations. The viefrancigene.org website publishes a regularly updated list which includes contact details. They also have downloadable maps, gps tracks and a navigation app. Signposting is very good and I found the free maps adequate except in larger towns where Google Maps on my phone proved useful.
I agree

I agree with all Bradypus says. Vercelli to Milan is easy - there are regular direct trains. A face net is more than useful in the rice fields, but up to Vercelli you're not really in the very midst of them - it's far worse after Vercelli.
Personally I found Raju's guides inaccurate and confusing (others agree), though good on history and culture. The best is to download the Lightfoot waypoints onto an app like PocketEarth for offline use. The maps then expand out to give you street guides for arriving in/leaving towns and finding accommodation. The way marking in the Aosta valley is excellent, and you don't need a guide, though I wouldn't be without one just in case.
Buon cammino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you so much mspath, Bradypus, and sirjohnharington for your replies and tips! Much appreciated. I'm not on facebook so will stick to this forum. I'll check BobM's blog too. I'm sorry I got carried away with so many questions at once! Regarding my itinerary, would you recommend Issogne or Verres to stop at for the night? And Piverone or Viverone?

Regarding my itinerary, would you recommend Issogne or Verres to stop at for the night? And Piverone or Viverone?

I did not stay in any of those places. I walked longer daily stages than you have in mind and my nearest stops to these were in Pont Saint Martin, Burolo and Santhia. The places you name are all quite small. Given the relative scarcity of accommodation along the VF I would be inclined to take the first convenient and available option rather than holding out for an "ideal" choice.

I posted about my walk in 2015 on Ivar's VF forum at the time. If you would find this helpful you can find my daily stages and comments here: https://www.viafrancigena.me/threads/bradypus-is-walking-in-italy.55/

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.