• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

So Here's my (draft) packing list

Glenn Rowe

Time of past OR future Camino
Still have several details to work out, but since we're not walking the CF until Fall 2019 I still have plenty of time. Thought I'd toss it up here for comments, suggestions, OMG's, what-have-you.

One clarification: On the list you'll find a cigarette lighter, a small flashlight, a small compass and a multi-tool. These are things I carry with me every day here in Los(t) Angeles. They will be, as someone said, "packed for my fears," but 'fear' is too strong a word. Call it a 'long-ago decision' instead.

The groupings represent how they'll be packed, each in its individual bag or pocket(s). So, here it comes:

In Pack:
1 pair long pants
1 long-sleeved shirt
2 tee shirts (can be worn alone)
2 underwear, 2 sock-sets
1 big bandana or shemagh
1 Coolmax long-sleeve tee shirt
1 base layer pants

Moccasins or Crocs

Hooded rain/wind jacket
Microfleece full-zip hoodie
Fleece vest and gloves

First aid kit (includes sewing kit)

Toiletry kit (Toothbrush/toothpaste, deodorant, travel-size shampoo, all medications plus prescriptions)
Quick-drying packable towel
Sleep mask/Ear plugs
Small package of safety pins (so very useful for so many things)
Phone charger/Adapter
Earphones

Sleeping bag
Travel sheet

Rain poncho
Rain pants or Rain chaps

Water bottle(s)
Metal cup
Spork
Nylon cord
Cigarette lighter
Small flashlight
Small compass
Multi-tool

Wear or Carry:

Hiking staff
Hat or baseball cap
Long-sleeved shirt (over tee shirt)
Phone (has a good camera)
Long pants (and underwear)
Hiking boots (and 1 sock-set)
Big bandana or shemagh, and comb
Notepad and pen
Sunglasses & regular glasses
Wallet/money belt

=======================

So, whaddaya think?

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In Pack:
1 pair long pants
1 long-sleeved shirt If the one you are wearing is quick-dry, 2nd not needed
2 tee shirts (can be worn alone) wear 1, pack 1
2 underwear, 2 sock-sets
1 big bandana or shemagh Already wearing one - don't need 2
1 base layer pants

Moccasins or Crocs lighter weight

Hooded rain/wind jacket If you mean a superlight windshirt type thing, good (see Patagonia Houdini, for example) -
but not a full rain jacket if already carrying poncho

Fleece vest and gloves

Toiletry kit (Toothbrush/toothpaste, deodorant, travel-size shampoo, all medications plus prescriptions)
Sleep mask/Ear plugs
Phone charger/Adapter
Earphones

Sleeping bag
Travel sheet If you mean something like a superlight permethrin-treated tyvek specifically for bed-bug protection, then maybe.
But not just to have a sheet.

Rain poncho
Rain pants or Rain chaps Not necessary with a poncho. It's ok for legs to get wet.
Maybe light gaiters for heavy rain to protect inside of boots, since you are a boot wearer.

Water bottle(s)
Metal cup Why - is this a "what if", or do you have a specific purpose in mind?
Spork
Nylon cord
Cigarette lighter :)
Small flashlight headlamp - handsfree
Small compass
Multi-tool If you mean like a leatherman, then absolutely not. But if you mean something like this, then yes..... Headgehog tool (it comes with "a hedgehog face for added adorability" - irresistable!)

Wear or Carry:

Hiking staff
Hat or baseball cap
Notepad and pen
Wallet/money belt

That would be my first pass cut! Cheers!

I'd agree with the comments about clothes that @fenix has given. Remember, bring enough layers for the coldest day, and wear sub-sets of your collecction all the rest of the time.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The multi-tool is good. Go ahead and bring it. I have a couple. Keep one in my pickup truck. Great for all kinds of things. Slice chorizo. Open beer bottles. etc.....
You don't need to bring anything treated with poisonous, cancer causing insect repellents that you will later and daily put your body into and spend several hours in. Don't sweat the insects. Besides, if you are bringing a sleeping bag (one that weights less that 24 oz I hope) you don't need a travel sheet anyway. Ditch it.
Personally I'd ditch the rain pants. Your legs get wet, they get wet. I never brought any, and I survived! Praise the Lord! :D
If you get there and realize you need something, don't forget you can always buy it on the Camino. For me if I brought too much....donativo!
ultreia

Multi-tool If you mean like a leatherman, then absolutely not. But if you mean something like this, then yes..... Headgehog tool (it comes with "a hedgehog face for added adorability" - irresistable!)
That is adorable, but I wonder if this Hiker multi tool would be more appropriate for the Camino.
multi tool.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I keep one of these on my keychain, and it clips in my pack for the Camino. Five tools in one, but alas no corkscrew. ;)
A Geber "shard". About 4 bucks.
815xWegT51L._SL1500_.jpg

Interesting level of activity around the multi-tool!

I will be taking the one that I carry with me every day, an older version of this one. It weighs 5.6 ounces and will do everything but balance my checkbook.:D

It even has an excellent corkscrew (but it's not peregrino-shaped).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In Pack:
1 pair long pants
1 long-sleeved shirt If the one you are wearing is quick-dry, 2nd not needed
2 tee shirts (can be worn alone) wear 1, pack 1
2 underwear, 2 sock-sets
1 big bandana or shemagh Already wearing one - don't need 2
1 base layer pants

Moccasins or Crocs lighter weight

Hooded rain/wind jacket If you mean a superlight windshirt type thing, good (see Patagonia Houdini, for example) -
but not a full rain jacket if already carrying poncho

Fleece vest and gloves

Sleep mask/Ear plugs
Phone charger/Adapter
Earphones

Sleeping bag
Travel sheet If you mean something like a superlight permethrin-treated tyvek specifically for bed-bug protection, then maybe.
But not just to have a sheet.

Rain poncho
Rain pants or Rain chaps Not necessary with a poncho. It's ok for legs to get wet.
Maybe light gaiters for heavy rain to protect inside of boots, since you are a boot wearer.

Water bottle(s)
Metal cup Why - is this a "what if", or do you have a specific purpose in mind?
Spork
Nylon cord
Cigarette lighter :)
Small flashlight headlamp - handsfree
Small compass

Wear or Carry:

Hiking staffs
Hat or baseball cap
Notepad and pen
Wallet/money belt
Solomon trail runner shoes None of this heavy boot stuff
wool socks, moreino

That would be my first pass cut! Cheers!

Good edit. Good list Glenn.
Sometimes you have to just do it to get to "your list."

i.e. Clothes .... mmm after two CF and one Ingles... I have "my" core clothing list that seems to work for ME.
Wear:
1 REI LS hiking shirt.
1 REI hiking pants
1 tilly hat for sun/rain
1 wool socks, merino
1 (possible) sock liner..
1 undies NO cotton! Quick dry
money belt
under shirt passport / credit card holder
fake wallet in pants pocket with few euros in it
iPod serves for net, camera, note taking, etc
Solomon trail shoes None of the heavy boot stuff

In pack:
pack cover exterior when raining (also offers some protection when below on the bus...i.e. keeps pack little clean and honest people honest
inside pack: water proof light weight stuff bags for clothes etc
1 LS REI hiking shirt
1 REI hiking pants (these are quick dry, light weight items!)
1 pair undies
2 socks, wool of course, merino
1 tee SS, wool
1 LS wool, merino (the SS wool and LS wool can be worn together for increased warmth if needed)
The wool LS and SS shirt can be worn for sleeping, or even when walking. Make good base shirt for LS REI light weight hiking shirts listed above. These are light weight type wool shirts. Merino got from Rei. Not the heavy duty type wool shirts for the arctic. But put together make a good warm base if needed.
1 rain jacket, light weight
1 rain pants (yeah yeah I like them) light weight
1 wool gloves, light weight, merino
1 wool neck gaither , merino
1 fleece skull cap
1 rain gloves. water/wind proof. After got soaked first camino will never leave home with out them
One MSR bivy I sleep outside sometimes (for next camino may change this to light weight hennessy hammock with light weight tarp)
one light weight therm a rest closed cell type pad. 3/4 length Folding egg shell type.
1 Marmot light weight down sleeping bag. For use with bivy or even when sleeping on floor with pad only
1 silk sleep sac. when too hot for above bag
1 sprock...you know what I mean... fork/spoon/knife combo plastic

2 light weight canteens, see through plastic. No more shaking to "hear" how much water is remaining. Took long time to find what I needed and wanted. I do not trust the store brought flimsy water bottles. Could possible leak. ( note: I used to take a water bladder 3L one. nice to sip while walking ..but kinda of over kill. Found the two bottles I have work perfect. If I walk the Plata...I will take the 3L bladder!
NO first aid kit. Not needed.
Sun screen block rub on type
Clothes line with 10 BRASS safety pins. Line is not para cord. I will have to look up the name. Better and lighter than para 550 cord!

One small write in rain note book
one write in the rain ink pen
meds
eye drops old farts need this stuff
some TP
foot lotion
shower kit: quick dry towel, 1 bar of castile soap for shaving, hair, and clothes washing One bar does it all
1 small mesh baggie to air dry soap bar. Bar soap will melt if kept in plastic baggie
shower shoes
dental items: brush, paste, floss
extra eye glasses
walking staffs -- hiking poles -- two each. Each to their own. some like some dont. I do. Believe it or not studies show keeps some weight off body if used correctly. and good down hill break. Dog beater. and other uses.
1 charger for iPod with cable. Charger has "euro" type plug built in to it.
very small light weight light. Not head type one or a larger flash light type. Will find pic later.

Yes I like LS light weight hiking shirt and light weight hiking pants. Keeps sun off. keeps bugs off. keeps bushes/brances from rubbing on legs / arms. Dries fast. shower put one set on after shower. While other set is drying on line. or my clothes line.
One small bottle opener. Open bottle of beer with. Finally found one that is "opener" only. No handle. Just it..small and light weight
one P-38 can opener. Small light weight. Does the job.
For next camino may change to only one LS shirt, one hiking pants and take one SS shirt and shorts.

Comment on Glenn's list: I do not think a compass is needed on the Camino. Hard to get lost with so many way markers and walkers. not the AT. But each to their own.
IMHO multi tool is not needed. Consider all the things that will not be used on it. The one thing that may be used...mmmm
Sure forgot something...but that is the basic core to things

Like they say "it's your Camino...you bag it , you lag it"

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh brave man! I haven't been brave enough to post my packing list.
@fenix has done a great editing job. I'd just like to add that I walked in autumn and it wasn't that cold. We finished on 30 October so fairly late into the season. I wouldn't take a fleece jacket and a fleece vest. I would substitute either one of those with a lightweight long sleeved thermal top. I'm not familiar with the term but perhaps that is what a coolmax is so you may already have one on your list? Don't forget you have several other layers including your rain gear so you should be fine.
I would like to vote for taking a sleeping sheet. There are albergues that don't provide sheets or only provide totally inadequate paper sheets that don't do the job. I like having my own sleeping sheet and also a wide lightweight scarf, sarong or piece of silk to wrap around the pillows.
What are you planning to sleep in? I know I don't feel the cold but I found almost all the albergues to be warm if not too jolly hot at night. Which by the way is yet another reason for having a sleeping sheet because all I needed was that light cover. You can of course sleep in a tshirt and undies (lots of folk do) but you might be more comfortable if you added a lightweight pair of shorts.
I took a circle of rubber cut from an old fashioned inner tube to use as a lightweight version of a universal plug. It came in handy. If you like travelling with a lighter. Why not?

I had my last knife fork and spoon set confiscated at London Luton airport , it was in my carry on bag. That was despite it saying that blades less then 4.5 inchs were allowed. I had a long heated discussion with security people and would probably still be there if I didn't have a flight to catch. So I would say to anyone out there don't bother with this bit of equipment if you are going to do carry on only.
also avoid London Luton airport as its a hell hole.

Sorry about that but rant is over now.- I am at peace with the world now.

have a great Camino, I am off in June for my 4 th one - Portuguese.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks to all! You've given me a good bit to mull over, and pointed out a couple of places where increased clarity is needed. In fact, "defending" some of my choices to myself has provided additional insight regarding why they're on my list in the first place.

Example: Two entries of "Big bandana or Shemagh." I simply cut-and-pasted from one spot to another, but now realize that I'll probably carry one of each. They will have two very different, mutually exclusive and occasionally simultaneous, uses.

Thanks to all! You've given me a good bit to mull over, and pointed out a couple of places where increased clarity is needed. In fact, "defending" some of my choices to myself has provided additional insight regarding why they're on my list in the first place.

Example: Two entries of "Big bandana or Shemagh." I simply cut-and-pasted from one spot to another, but now realize that I'll probably carry one of each. They will have two very different, mutually exclusive and occasionally simultaneous, uses.
Shemagh's are quite thick and heavy (the real ones at least) for the "Fall" unless you want to look like the PLO or a member of the LRDG (for motorbiking in the UK, however, they are brill!)
Take a look at a KRAMA https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krama instead. Thinner cotton, acts as a towel, scarf, head dress, sweat rag, shopping bag . . . dries quicker than a shemagh too.

Or go native and buy a Buff.

You mention a phone charger but not a phone. I'm guessing a smartphone? If so there are built in or add on flashlight apps available. Mine allows you to change colour and intensity. A dull, red light for that late night trip to the bathroom is less disturbing to your roomies!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
No corkscrew, it's not peregrino shaped, and it contains no added adorability.
Fail. :D
I don't know - looks like a seal to me (aquatic mammal not elite special forces member). Seals are cute and adorable.
I have a similar gizmo from Geber which takes a removable scalpel blade. Fly without the blade and buy some when you arrive. Stopped carrying mine because it won't open cans like a P38 can (so to speak).

Interesting level of activity around the multi-tool!

I will be taking the one that I carry with me every day, an older version of this one. It weighs 5.6 ounces and will do everything but balance my checkbook.:D

It even has an excellent corkscrew (but it's not peregrino-shaped).

And if you sharpen the can opener like this:

upload_2017-2-25_16-40-29.png

it will even open cans!

Or go native and buy a Buff.

The buffs I've read about are all "one-size-fits-most", which means they probably won't fit me.

I have a very large head, making it a challenge to find hats/caps that will fit. The "one-size-fits-most" caps are much too small and, since buffs go over the head, I'm pretty sure they will be too small as well.

I wrote "shemagh" because the term is widely known and understood. What I'm actually likely to bring is known as a "wild rag", straight out of the American West. Wild rags are slightly smaller than a shemagh, but just about as useful.

I guess I could resort to "do-rags" made from milsurp triangular bandages, but they look too - um - militant.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The buffs I've read about are all "one-size-fits-most", which means they probably won't fit me.

I have a very large head, making it a challenge to find hats/caps that will fit. The "one-size-fits-most" caps are much too small and, since buffs go over the head, I'm pretty sure they will be too small as well.

I wrote "shemagh" because the term is widely known and understood. What I'm actually bringing is known as a "wild rag", straight out of the American West. Wild rags are slightly smaller than a shemagh, but just about as useful.

I now have a vision of leather chaps and silver conch buckles floating in my head ;)
Ah, I feel your pain! With a "buzz cut" I fit comfortably into a size 8 (25 inch) Tilley hat :( baseball caps never adjust far enough though I do have my eye on a rather spiffy looking panama for next summer!

Real Buffs are big enough for me - the copycats skimp on material and are just too small - and you can get some very attractive "Camino" editions nowadays.

Of course last year I took an umbrella which was even better!

Jeff,

I also wear size 8 or thereabouts, depending on the specific hat. For well-fitting baseball caps, check out the
BIG HAT STORE. Nearly all of my baseball caps, both adjustable and fitted, came from there.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Now THAT would cause a stir on the Camino . . . I see many pilgrims heading into Santiago, none coming out!

Buen Camino hombre!

I wrote "shemagh" because the term is widely known and understood. What I'm actually likely to bring is known as a "wild rag", straight out of the American West. Wild rags are slightly smaller than a shemagh, but just about as useful.

I guess I could resort to "do-rags" made from milsurp triangular bandages, but they look too - um - militant.
Buff xl is what I use and I wear a 7 3/8 hat and am 6'2" 320 pounds.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Buff xl is what I use and I wear a 7 3/8 hat and am 6'2" 320 pounds.

And I wear a size 8 hat. For those who are curious, that translates to a size XXXL hat. Definitely not in the "one size fits most" range.

PS: Blame it on my "big square-headed German" genes that constitute 1/4 of my heritage overall. I look German while my younger sister (same exact gene pool) is clearly a lovely Choctaw woman.... o_O

Am I jealous? No. Well... maybe a little bit... mostly around the edges.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.