• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Camino Olvidado Guide created by one of our forum members

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another camino waiting to be discovered

peregrina2000

Staff member
If I'm reading the forum posts right, there has been no comment about the Camino Olvidado for 15 months. Seems like all the attention has been on the Invierno recently, as the up-and-coming-ready-to-break-into-prime-time Camino. Maybe this is what has led an association in El Bierzo to start a push for the Camino Olvidado.

http://www.infobierzo.com/la-asocia...ere-una-alternativa-al-camino-frances/289815/

Bilbao to Cacabelos or Ponferrada, with some absolutely stunning scenery. There is one 14 km stretch that rivals any other spectacular mountain day on any other camino. The people are fantastic. I started out walking with someone, but after about 7 days, her feet told her she had to quit. So the rest was totally solitary, but it is the kind of camino where there are plenty of people who are interested in talking to you, happy to help you -- the mayors come and buy you a drink, etc.

I've been told that the marking has improved dramatically since I walked. I know that Ender has been spending some time working to put in arrows, and if Ender is on it, you know the result will be good. Anyway, it works as a nice prologue to the Invierno, too -- Bilbao to Ponferrada to the Invierno!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You are absolutely right. Currently there are several associations, along the route trying to promote this Camino, its marking and the logistics. I am quite quite sure that new albergues will be built in the short-middle term. The number of pilgrims is still very limited but growing.
I will walk this Camino from Leon, with my son and our two donkeys, on the 20th of April. I will post more info about it.
As you said, the scenery is amazing, and you can enjoy solitude for a number of days as well as a more busy environment when joining the Camino frances.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
it works as a nice prologue to the Invierno, too -- Bilbao to Ponferrada to the Invierno!

I love that idea. For those of us who who find it hard to get away for more than a month. 18 days + 11 days? something like that. Perfect.

I'm torn. This plus the Invierno is at the top of my list for next time I can walk for more than a few weeks at a stretch (it would be this year if it weren't for visa woes, alas). And. Tied at the top of the list is the Salvador/Primativo. Not the least because the Salvador is a pilgrimage in its own right.
Laurie, you've done both. Your thoughts on the merits of each?
(Now the thought crosses my mind that the Salvador must cross the Viejo someplace, right? Could one peel off at some point and head to Oviedo?)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Viranani. Now why would you want to collapse two beautiful caminos into one? :p The olvidado connects with the Salvador in La Robla, which is the end of most people's first day on the Salvador. Walk south from Boñar into La Robla, turn and head north on the Salvador. But that has a serious drawback. You will miss Fasgar and the 14 kms through the mountains. By far the most beautiful Olvidado day, though there are many nice spots.

Walk them both!!!

Hi Viranani. Now why would you want to collapse two beautiful caminos into one? :p
:D:D
Well, for starters I had no idea about where that 14kms is!
Now another idea surfaces: that it would be easy to walk from Leon up to the Viejo and thence to the Invierno. A good option for those on the Frances who who're getting to the point where they want some solitude.
And definitely a nice Camino in its own right.

Walk them both!!!
Twist my arm. (Can you please talk to the visa gods, by the way??)o_O:D

:D:D
Well, for starters I had no idea about where that 14kms is!
Now another idea surfaces: that it would be easy to walk from Leon up to the Viejo and thence to the Invierno. A good option for those on the Frances who who're getting to the point where they want some solitude.
And definitely a nice Camino in its own right.

Twist my arm. (Can you please talk to the visa gods, by the way??)o_O:D

Um, I'm sorry, but I think that's a worse idea. You would have only one day on the Salvador from Leon to La Robla and then miss the most gorgeous days of the Salvador! I think we will have to talk to the visa gods.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well, I trust your judgement here, Laurie. :oops:
...But what about for someone who wants to start at Leon and go to Santiago without much company?

I think we will have to talk to the visa gods.
Please. But until Spain issues a Pilgrim's Visa, it would likely be a waste of breath. SAD. :p

Please. But until Spain issues a Pilgrim's Visa, it would likely be a waste of breath. SAD. :p

Remember, Viranani, I'm a mom, I'm used to wasting my breath. :D

But, here's what I think after looking at a map. León to Ponferrada is about 100 km on the camino. The Olvidado from León-La Robla to Ponferrada is about 150. (These numbers are VERY rough). So if you want to add 5-7 days instead of 3-4 days to the Invierno, that's a way to do it.

But, since I don't think your goal is arriving in Santiago, the Olvidado from Bilbao to Ponferrada is a very nice "complete" walk. And don't forget, there is also the three-day add on from Ponferrada to El Acebo to Peñalba de Santiago and back to Ponferrada, which is truly jaw-dropping.

Nothing wrong with having a list of caminos waiting to be walked, though it does put a point on our race with the inevitable toll that time takes on us!

Well, I was thinking of that as a hypothetical option more for those on the Frances who might want more quiet...to ditch the superhighway at Leon as opposed to waiting until they get to Ponferrada. For myself, if I can ever manage the combination of enough personal and visa time, the Viejo all the way from Pamplona connecting with the Invierno would be my definite preference.

As for Caminos...I expect to expire (or succumb to injury) long before I manage to scratch the surface. :D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back