• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Levante in April

Michael fletcher

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Frances 2010 ,Santiago to Finisterre 2010,G.R.11 Pyrenees 2011, Vi Augusta, Via de la Plata, Via de Sanabria 2013,Camino del Norte ,Camino Primitivo 2015.Camino de Levante planned Spring 2017.
Booked my flight to Valencia 26thApril 2017, two nights stay to give me chance to have a look around also to find my way out of town and on to the Camino for the start of my walk next day, 28th.Still stressing a bit about orientation, the guide book from The Asociacion de Amigos de Camino de Santiago in Valencia was last updated in 2009 and there appears to be many changes to the route. Amended maps are provided but written directions in the guide remain the same. There seems to have been infrastructure changes around Chinchilla,Albacete,La Gineta and Mora Cuervo,has anyone any directional info?. I don't want to take a g.p.s., not very technically minded. Or do I need one?.My worries regarding finding my way are spoiling my usual anticipation of a great walk. Help please!! Any advice would be
Most appreciated. Mike.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Mike. You shouldn't be anxious. i don't think the changes are that major. I am not a cartographic whiz but I found the maps easy to follow.

You've picked a great time of year to walk a great camino. The fields of emerald green waving in the sun with bright red poppy bursts are just astonishingly beautiful. Lots and lots of castles too.

Hi Mike. You shouldn't be anxious. i don't think the changes are that major. I am not a cartographic whiz but I found them easy to follow.

You've picked a great time of year to walk a great camino. The fields of emerald green waving in the sun with bright red poppy bursts are just astonishingly beautiful. Lots and lots of castles too.
Thanks for that,just what I needed to hear,I will think of you when first I see the poppies and I will stop worrying and do more planning. Mike.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Mike will you be posting here as you walk or blogging. ..very interesting in hearing about your Levante adventure. .Buen Camino
Hi Ingrid, I will probably write a blog on my return. Thanks for your interest. Mike

Hi, Mike,

I walked Levante in 2015 and didn't find it extremely difficult to navigate. But on many occasions there was yellow arrow after the point where I needed it. So if not really sure look back a bit more than on other Caminos. ;)
Also be aware that first few days (to Almansa) Levante goes roughly SW and the sun will travel differently than later when the way turns NW.

Ultreia!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Mike,

I walked Levante in 2015 and didn't find it extremely difficult to navigate. But on many occasions there was yellow arrow after the point where I needed it. So if not really sure look back a bit more than on other Caminos. ;)
Also be aware that first few days (to Almansa) Levante goes roughly SW and the sun will travel differently than later when the way turns NW.

Ultreia!
Thanks KinkyOne taken your advice on board, Mike

Thanks KinkyOne taken your advice on board, Mike
Also on the stretches where Levante and Sureste overlapse the marking is much better on behalf of Sureste Assocciacion. But be alert if you really want to be Levante purist ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am on the train from Madrid to Valencia today. The weather looks good for walking! As to advice on the Camino, trust in it and poco-a-poco.
Oh wow, hope you have a very buen camino. Be sure there are a few (maybe even more than a few) Levante fanatics here who would love to read about how it goes for you.

Oh wow, hope you have a very buen camino. Be sure there are a few (maybe even more than a few) Levante fanatics here who would love to read about how it goes for you.

Yes, will keep people up to date. Do you know where to get the credentiales in Valencia?

Hi, pilgr,

I would have suggested that you ask Vanesa at Pensión Paris to get you one, but it's too late for that if you're on your way! She has done that for a number of pilgrims. But now let's think about Plan B.

Try contacting the Valencia Amigos --
Dr. Gil y Morte, 24-1º-3ª
46007 Valencia
Tel.: 96 385 99 82
Fax: 96 313 01 79
info@vieiragrino.com

I think they are only open on Friday evenings though.

Here is a thread that says no credenciales are available in the cathedral. That was my impression as well. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/recent-camino.26572/

Good luck! If you don't find one in Valencia, just keep a piece of paper with stamps and hopefully the albergue in Algemesí will have one. Buen camino, Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, pilgr,

I would have suggested that you ask Vanesa at Pensión Paris to get you one, but it's too late for that if you're on your way! She has done that for a number of pilgrims. But now let's think about Plan B.

Try contacting the Valencia Amigos --
Dr. Gil y Morte, 24-1º-3ª
46007 Valencia
Tel.: 96 385 99 82
Fax: 96 313 01 79
info@vieiragrino.com

I think they are only open on Friday evenings though.

Here is a thread that says no credenciales are available in the cathedral. That was my impression as well. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/recent-camino.26572/

Good luck! If you don't find one in Valencia, just keep a piece of paper with stamps and hopefully the albergue in Algemesí will have one. Buen camino, Laurie

Thank you for all the good info. I already made one trip by the Catedral today, only to be denied due to siesta hours. I will return at 5pm with the expectation of getting denied again.

Hi, @pilgr

I would try at Pension Paris nevertheless. Maybe Vanessa bought few spare credentials at Amigos. Do you need the address? I can send it to you.
Or call/e-mail the Amigos and maybe someone will be extra friendly and sell it to you despite only-Friday opening hours. I doubt the albergue in Algemesi has them because Policia Local is in charge of the albergue but you never know.

Ultreia!

Hi, @pilgr

I would try at Pension Paris nevertheless. Maybe Vanessa bought few spare credentials at Amigos. Do you need the address? I can send it to you.
Or call/e-mail the Amigos and maybe someone will be extra friendly and sell it to you despite only-Friday opening hours. I doubt the albergue in Algemesi has them because Policia Local is in charge of the albergue but you never know.

Ultreia!

Kinky's suggesetion is a good one. Heads up for all future Levante pilgrims -- if you want one of those pretty special Levante credentials (I would love to see one since I used my plain vanilla APOC one -- Kinky do you have a picture you can post?), make arrangements with Vanessa in Pensión Paris. It's a great place for a pilgrim to stay (they have a pilgrim discount and it's a fantastic location -- another one of those family-owned spotless basic pensiones), and Vanessa has been kind enough to buy guidebooks and credentials for pilgrims who then reimburse her when they arrive.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Kinky,

Do you have a phone # or email for the Paris place? i can't find contact info online.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I am sad to report Pensiòn Paris is permanently closed. This info came to me from the cafe next door.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am sad to report Pensiòn Paris is permanently closed. This info came to me from the cafe next door.
I'm afraid that's true. Vanessa's web address is no longer available on-line. So sorry to hear this and I would like to know what happened...
Did you tried calling Amigos?

yes. i got a recording and left my contact info. I dont know why that organization doesnt leave a bunch of credentials at the church book shop! esp if they r as beautiful as everyone says.

Wow, another sad closing. I am really sorry to hear that. It was a great little place. Thanks for the update, pilgr. I guess these family run places just can't keep up with the chains.

I hope you resolve the credential issue. Buen camino, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wow, another sad closing. I am really sorry to hear that. It was a great little place. Thanks for the update, pilgr. I guess these family run places just can't keep up with the chains.

I hope you resolve the credential issue. Buen camino, Laurie
I'm almost sure it's for some personal reasons. If I remember correctly Vanessa gave birth to a baby daughter in spring of 2015. Maybe that's the reason for closure?
Very low prices for excellent location and service - no way chains could beat that. At least in my eyes.

Anyway, thank you Laurie for introducing that nice pension to the rest of us!

I'm almost sure it's for some personal reasons. If I remember correctly Vanessa gave birth to a baby daughter in spring of 2015. Maybe that's the reason for closure?
Very low prices for excellent location and service - no way chains could beat that. At least in my eyes.

Anyway, thank you Laurie for introducing that nice pension to the rest of us!

Yes you're right. Vanessa had a little girl about two years ago. I have written to the email I have for her and will let you know if I hear something.

That would be so nice of you.
I have similar sentiments for Vanessa as I have for "almost famous" Croatian-Spanish couple that sold their bar in Bercianos del Real Camino last autumn and moved to her home in Alicante.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back