• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

So which is the best guide to the CF right now?

Ian Afloat

Time of past OR future Camino
CF July 25th 2017 from SJPDP
Hello everyone,
In my ill fated attempt to walk the CF in 2015 I took a 2011 edition of Brierley along with the CSJ guide with me. Now that I'm planning a hopefully not ill fated attempt this summer I'm wondering if I need to replace the Brierley and if so with what. Anything new should be up to date and not overly prescriptive about stages etc. What does the hive mind think?
Cheers,
Ian

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello everyone,
In my ill fated attempt to walk the CF in 2015 I took a 2011 edition of Brierley along with the CSJ guide with me. Now that I'm planning a hopefully not ill fated attempt this summer I'm wondering if I need to replace the Brierley and if so with what. Anything new should be up to date and not overly prescriptive about stages etc. What does the hive mind think?
Cheers,
Ian

I recommend no guide at all for the CF. Just go with the flow. That said, when I do turn to a guide I use Gronze.com online.

Ultreya,
Joe

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I just tried going to Gronze.com and got some sort of Apache default page gibberish. Is that the way into it?

Not sure what happened, because gronze.com is the portal. Maybe try something like a google search for "gronze camino frances" and see if a better link pulls up for you.

I agree those who say no need for a guide book, especially if you have internet access. There's absolutely no need for walking instructions; the online sites, including mundicamino, gronze, and eroski all have distance information and lists of albergues/accommodation. BUT... if you want the cultural information, I would bring something. ON my first Frances, I carried the Gitlitz book, and it was heavy, but I hear it is now available on kindle. It's actually probably too much architectural, historical, cultural information for most -- I think remember about 20 pages on the Burgos cathedral, but it will alert you to a lot of hidden sites and monuments you might not otherwise notice.

Cheers everyone...might pick up the Brierley map and just rely on intermittent internet access for anything not on that.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
People who only carried the Brierley will tell you it's the only way to go. People who only carried Village to Village will tell you it's the only the to go. People who only carried the German guide book will tell you it's the only way to go. I carried all three on my last Camino. If I was only going to carry one, it would be Village to Village by Dintamin.

People who never carried a guidebook will tell you not carrying one is the only way to go. I personally cannot image not being able to read about the rich history of the monuments, bridges, and churches I pass each hour. To be able to stop and learn about an extremely important historical sight as I was literally standing in front of it was an important part of my experience. Also, I liked to have a general idea of the remaining route and it's infrastructure each day.

Last edited:
The Camino Francés - A Wise Pilgrim Guide to the Camino de Santiago by Michael Matynka BUT wait for the paperback version which is due very soon. It looks to be compact, informative, maybe a bit light on background but good on practical advice. Elevation maps aren't great but are still better than Brierley's.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
MMD for me, real properly orientated maps, concise information-addresses-options, and straightforward text leaving you yourself to seek your own personal spirituality-insight-epiphany. The Joycean epiphany of course meaning "a sudden spiritual manifestation, whether from some object, scene, event, or memorable phase of the mind--the manifestation being out of proportion to the significance or strictly logical relevance of whatever produces it" which the Camino provides in bucket loads if you will allow it to happen!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
No return date? I've actually thought about that. But wouldn't it be cost-prohibitive when you DO get around to booking a flight/train?
Rules and availability of flights - return, open or nonexistent - vary considerably depending on what part of the world you are flying from. Yes, it can be cost-prohibitive.

Hello everyone,
Cheers,
Ian
I think it's great to have information about albergues that are open, especially if you travel outside the May-October season or if you travel in the absolute height of the season.

I'm sorry to say that I don't remember the app I had on my phone when I did my Camino re: albergue information. In my opinion you don't need a map if you walk the Francés because you can't really get lost. BUT if you need to call for a room it's nice to have an app with phone numbers.
Barring that, there's a PDF with albergue numbers.

Go with the flow. I always book a flight at least 10 days later than I think I need. That way I can be a tourist in some other city. But I couldn't afford a one way ticket on both ends. Too pricey from the US.

Buen Camino! I hope this pilgrimage includes only wonderful surprises

People who only carried the Brierley will tell you it's the only way to go. People who only carried Village to Village will tell you it's the only the to go. People who only carried the German guide book will tell you it's the only way to go. I carried all three on my last Camino. If I was only going to carry one, it would be Village to Village by Dintamin.

People who never carried a guidebook will tell you not carrying one is the only way to go. I personally cannot image not being able to read about the rich history of the monuments, bridges, and churches I pass each hour. To be able to stop and learn about an extremely important historical sight as I was literally standing in front of it was an important part of my experience. Also, I liked to have a general idea of the remaining route and it's infrastructure each day.
I'm with Robert on the advantages of having some info with you about what you are seeing. Though I DID read up beforehand, my mind didn't retain much. Brierly was the one I used at the time, and I liked his elevation diagrams, the spiritual commentary for each stage, and the size of the guide. Another family member is walking CF in one week, she's younger, and picked out the Dinatmin guide, which has more pictures, not a spiritual focus, but a large amount of contact info and availability of cafes, albergues, etc. for various places, all in a coded format. My younger family member prefers this guide. So maybe go to a bookstore that might have both if you can, and compare. Both have very good infomation, just presented slightly differently. One book is tall/narrow, one is more square. You can probably also get an idea from looking at a sample on Amazon.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello,
Thanks for the input. As a UK citizen I don't have to worry about visas or overstaying my welcome etc (for the time being at least!) I have about 40 days to complete and return home for work and shall not be booking a return mode of transport until I am somewhere near to Santiago (or my feet falling off, whichever is the sooner.)
I don't need a guide for the walking - it's quite challenging to get lost I know - but I found the Brierley made for an interesting read on the way and I referred to it most evenings to see what I could expect the next day; on the other hand, I'm intending to travel light weight with a 25l pack, so a big brick of a guide would be counter to this.

There are many apps that work off line that include elevation maps, info about regions, cities, towns, & villages, as well as accommodation, etc. I used Wise Pilgrm Guides but there are others. Best if supplemented with some good history stuff. As a slow walker, I liked this guide because it did NOT recommend stages.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I believe it's illegal to enter Shegan Agreement area without a return plane ticket that has a return date less than 180 days from your arrival. In theory, you could be denied entry. The easier method is to book a return ticket that is 60 or 90 days out and adjust it as you come to the end of your Camino. If you buy your ticket directly from an airline such as Delta, it's usually free to change the return date. At most, you'll pay $150.
I'm not sure how advantageous this is but the Wikipedia article at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_the_Schengen_Area says:
Netherlands exempts visitors from Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, South Korea, United States and Vatican City from holding proof of sufficient funds and return tickets.
I haven't been able to check the reference.

I found it very useful having the Brierley guide, for important information such as where potable water spots are, and days you're going to have to push to make it to the next accommodation. I did find his spiritual commentary a bit much - like scruffy1, I wanted to keep space for my own epiphanies and reflections.

Personally, I used the camino as a time to escape the internet, so I much prefer having a little book. It allowed plenty of scope for going with the flow - meeting people who suggested a nice rest stop, or a good shared meal, or just walking into a village and deciding you'd like to stay. Some real gems from that walk were prompted by the guide, others by chance connections...

Hello everyone,
Cheers,
Ian
I would get Brierley CF Maps only Guide. Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello everyone,
Cheers,
Ian
The Confraternity of St James in London has a 2107 fully updated ( by pilgrim walkers in 2016) CF guidebook for £7 , light to carry, no stages suggested, full accommodation list...Robin Dorkings

Hello everyone,
Cheers,
Ian
ditch Brierley, if you need alternative routes, roads or what is more to the point, exact maps and distances, you will need more than Brierley. He takes a stab at it and has been lacking, seriously. Pellegrinos have used mobile aps. that have perfect maps and info. It shall be my choice if I go again.

If you have an Android device I would seriously recommend that you check out this free app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.moemke.android.mycamino&hl=en

Gives you route maps, can turn on location so you can see exactly where you are, shows details and prices and facilities for EVERY form of available accommodation.

Will display daily weather and four-day forecast for a donation. Can download maps so you won't need to use up your download quota.

PS I am in no way affiliated with the app but have used it twice and I find it vital to navigating the Camino Frances.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello everyone,
Cheers,
Ian
Hi Ian

I plan to walk my first Camino in May/June this year and guide books (like yes or no to walking poles) seem to be one of those never ending hot topics. Like you, I'll only be taking a summarised map version on the trail. I've purchased two types to compare. Predictably one is the Brierley and the other is the Michelin SJPD to Santiago, product code 160. It also has a companion guide Le Puy to SJPD (161). It's lighter (every gram counts) than the Brierly and provides a helpful topographical elevation view of every day's walk. One day to a page with walking map on the adjacent page. It lacks the extra city plans and detailed albergue lists but is very easy to follow. Considering the volume of people and easy directions on the trail I think it may be the guide for me. Hope this helps.

Happy trails

Read the book and wanted to post here for the author's info rather on Amazon. Book is useful for both cycling and walking but much info is not useful for me. Author does not stay in hostels and did the Camino in 3 segments.

That being said, if I were to write a book for the masses who may or will walk the Camino, I would definitely leave out the references to politics and negative comments about people. Specifically, there must be more than a dozen diatribes about Brexit, which the author was against. All the comments and pics of people wearing his 'I love the EU' shirts definitely takes away from the narrative. Same for his dislike of President Trump and his labeling of Americans as either suffering from dementia, stupid or xenophobic. While the author certainly has the right to write the book as he sees fit, all it will take is one reviewer on Amazon to complain about the above concerns and he may well lose potential buyers who were for Brexit or are Americans.

In his book the author seems to glory in the fact that his wife, the walker, has to leave early while he can stay later, have a leisurely breakfast and then cycle off when he feels like that. Suppose someone has told him he was lazy and was not really doing the Camino, especially in relation to his wife's walking. I imagine he would have been upset by these allegations, which may be just as true as his dislike for Americans and Brexit supporters.

I am writing this in the hope that the author will review his book and consider deleting the offensive portions. I have a feeling doing so will increase sales.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Take a paper guide book and make notes in it every day. I know your teacher told you not to write in books but for this walk ignore your teachers word of wisdom, it's your book.

Three months out of your walk you will be so pleased you wrote all those notes, great memories.

I mentioned it in another thread already, but will it also here. The WisePilgrim guide is soon (starting May) available as a print edition. More info here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-camino-de-santiago-a-wise-pilgrim-guide#/

From all the guides I have seen so far that looks like the best 'paper guide' available - good maps, height profiles, up to date info, no fluff/opinions. Buen Camino, SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Ian

I plan to walk my first Camino in May/June this year and guide books (like yes or no to walking poles) seem to be one of those never ending hot topics. Like you, I'll only be taking a summarised map version on the trail. I've purchased two types to compare. Predictably one is the Brierley and the other is the Michelin SJPD to Santiago, product code 160. It also has a companion guide Le Puy to SJPD (161). It's lighter (every gram counts) than the Brierly and provides a helpful topographical elevation view of every day's walk. One day to a page with walking map on the adjacent page. It lacks the extra city plans and detailed albergue lists but is very easy to follow. Considering the volume of people and easy directions on the trail I think it may be the guide for me. Hope this helps.

Happy trails

I like the Michelin guides (used one from Le Puy in conjunction with MMD) but there is one huge drawback with them in my opinion. They only show one route. Often you will have a choice of variant routes and often the route you fancy walking is not the one in Michelin. They are not good with accommodation listings either. I use the Brierly map only guide for the Frances as it shows all variants. Just don't adhere to the set stages (though in busy months these are useful, as you know what towns to avoid)!

Davey

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back