• We are struggeling with some issues with images and attachments not loading on the forum. This is some left-over problems from the other day. We have back-ups of everything, so nothing is lost, we just need to link things up again so that it works. In short, we are working on it. Sorry! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Have a look at this Camino Primitivo Guide made by one of our members.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lodgings in Lugo on Easter Weekend 2017?

nichollsb

We will be arriving in Lugo on Easter weekend 2017. (We leave Oviedo on April 4.) When I planned this trip, I wasn't even thinking about Easter. Now I'm wondering if I need to be concerned about finding lodging in Lugo that weekend. Will the albergue most likely be full? And if so, should I book a hotel room in advance? Last time I did this hike (Primitivo, October 2013), I would call a day ahead if I wanted to stay in a hotel instead of an albergue. It worked out well. However, I've heard the Primitivo has gotten more popular, and now that I'll be inthere during Semana Santa, lodgings might be more difficult. Advice, anyone?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The hotel Metropol was very pilgrim friendly (2012) and offered a pilgrim discount at that time. We booked through booking.com last time we were there (2015) which gave us flexibility if we were likely to need to change dates. Worth booking if you think you might want to spend an extra night in Lugo, or for peace of mind over Easter.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There are now several albergues in Lugo. The municipal one has 42 beds and won't take reservations. Roots and Boots also opened one a few years ago and will take reservations. http://www.rootsandbootslugo.es/en/ I'm not sure how big of an endeavor this is, but I know there is also a Roots and Boots in Santiago and people generally like it. There is also one a bit outside town, http://alberguecasadachanca.blogspot.com.es/ And one more, http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-juvenil-lug2 . A bunch of my walking buddies stayed there last year while I decided to stay inside the walls in a pension. It's not pilgrim specific, but they said it was fine.

There are lots of hotels, pensiones, etc. I don't think you will have a big problem, but maybe someone out there has had an experience that will prove me wrong. I have been in Lugo during its biggest fiesta, Arde Lucus, and there wasn't a lodging problem. So I'd be surprised if there were one on Easter weekend. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi nichollsb. You won't have problems to stay in Lugo on Easter weekend, but you might have to book in advance to make sure! peregrina2000 informed you well, but additionally you have another new hostel that just opened this year just about 20m from the municipal albergue (which is not municipal by the way, but managed by the Xunta): www.shikuhostel.com (the site is currently still not working, but shows you the phone number). I still don't know this place personally, but I can recommend Albergue Casa da Chanca: the place is nice and cosy, not too far from the center, and Sara (the hospitalera) is really nice! Roots & Boots is situated just in front of the Roman bridge in Lugo in a nice surrounding (passed the city center, and you have to walk uphill to get to the city center), though I usually hear comments from pilgrims that the rooms seem to be a bit old.

I would say definitely book ahead in Lugo. We had trouble booking the day before a big Fiesta on 8th October last year. I ended up just taking a room at the beautiful ,though expensive Hotel Mendez -Nunez..

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.