• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances in 57 days!

GailBolander

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2017)
Hi all!

My name is Gail, I'm currently gearing up to start walking the Camino Frances on April 29! It's my first Camino as well as my first solo trip so I'm getting a little nervous but mostly excited. I think I have my gear all figured out, there's only so many packing lists I can pore over before I start going in circles and stressing myself out! Any sage advice would be appreciated though :)

I've given myself plenty of time to walk the route to Muxia, I leave St. Jean on April 29th and I have to be back in Paris to meet my sister on June 27th. It's too much time in all honesty but I plan to take some rest days, and I wouldn't mind having time after I'm done to explore Spain more or Portugal...or wherever!

I guess a question I have is, when deciding to take a rest day, do the albergues allow you to stay more than one night or is it best to get a private room or hotel?

I really just wanted to say hi to everyone and see if there is anyone out there starting off at the same time!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Most private ones will, and if it's a big enough city/town with multiple albergues, just go to a different one. That's what I did before, and you get an extra, different stamp in your pilgrim's credentials, ha ha. Most open around 12:00-1:00 pm.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Most private ones will, and if it's a big enough city/town with multiple albergues, just go to a different one. That's what I did before, and you get an extra, different stamp in your pilgrim's credentials, ha ha. Most open around 12:00-1:00 pm.
Haha that was a thought I had as well but then I let the "anxious negative thoughts" creep in and didn't know if a new place would turn me down if they saw a stamp from a place in the same town...I really need to stop overthinking and just go with it :)

Haha that was a thought I had as well but then I let the "anxious negative thoughts" creep in and didn't know if a new place would turn me down if they saw a stamp from a place in the same town...I really need to stop overthinking and just go with it :)
I've stayed at a pensiones at a town and then the next night stayed at the municipal albergue down the street. They never batted an eye at what was in my credentials. They know pilgrims rest up and stay multiple nights in the same town.
cheers and ultreia

I've stayed at a pensiones at a town and then the next night stayed at the municipal albergue down the street. They never batted an eye at what was in my credentials. They know pilgrims rest up and stay multiple nights in the same town.
cheers and ultreia
Back in 2015 when I arrived at the Municipal Albergue in Finesterre, a person in front of me in the queue was refused a bed because they had stayed in Finesterre the night before with friends in a private albergue. They were told that the rules in Galicia were that you can stay in the Municipal Albergues for one night when you first arrive in the location, so if staying in the same place for more than one night and wanting to stay at a Municipal Albergue, do it the first night then go private after that.

The only thing which could allow someone to stay in a Municipal for more than one night would be if they are affected by a medical condition which can be verified.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@GailBolander welcome to the forum - pilgrim! I am sure you will find plenty of company on the camino, but do add yourself to the forum calendar. Have a look and you will see there is at lease one person who is leaving on that day. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/calendar/
A calendar! I learn something new about this forum every time I visit.
@Kanga, I did try to add an entry to the calendar but couldn't so I'm guessing it happens some other way?

If you go to the "Members Only" section and the "Introductions"thread, you should see instructions on how to add to the calendar.

"Add your Start date to our Camino Calendar. 1) Start a new Thread about your Camino plans 2) After thread has been created, select "Thread Tools" above your post (over to the right). Then select "Calendar Add". More instructions here."

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Gail and welcome to the forum. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Back in 2015 when I arrived at the Municipal Albergue in Finesterre, a person in front of me in the queue was refused a bed because they had stayed in Finesterre the night before with friends in a private albergue. They were told that the rules in Galicia were that you can stay in the Municipal Albergues for one night when you first arrive in the location, so if staying in the same place for more than one night and wanting to stay at a Municipal Albergue, do it the first night then go private after that.

The only thing which could allow someone to stay in a Municipal for more than one night would be if they are affected by a medical condition which can be verified.
Thank you for the info! That's good to know!

There are so many things to see along the way. If you do have some extra time, I would suggest taking a day to check them out. A couple of suggestions could be:

Monasteries of Yuso and Suso: these are located in San Millán de la Cogolla (La Rioja), less than ten kilometres from the French Route of the Way, in the district of Cirueña. They are known as the cradle of the Castilian language, as it was here that the first written evidence of this language was recorded. Take a walk around the town and discover its majestic Romanesque buildings.

- Atapuerca archaeological site: this is the most important archaeological site in Europe. It lies about 20 kilometres outside Burgos, but you’ll have a chance to find out all about it thanks to the Museum of Human Evolution in the city itself. As well as an exhibition of the findings from the sites, there is also a shuttle bus to take you to Atapuerca.

- The Palaeolithic cave art of the Cantabrian Coast: it comprises the Altamira cave and another 17 caves which are scattered through the Basque Country, Cantabria and Asturias. The paintings they contain are about 14,000 years old, and most of the caves are very near the Northern Route to Santiago. The most important –Altamira– is in Santillana del Mar, where you can visit the museum and a life-size replica of the cave. This one would be if you have a lot of time as it is not along the Frances route.

There are many more.

Hi all!

My name is Gail, I'm currently gearing up to start walking the Camino Frances on April 29! It's my first Camino as well as my first solo trip so I'm getting a little nervous but mostly excited. I think I have my gear all figured out, there's only so many packing lists I can pore over before I start going in circles and stressing myself out! Any sage advice would be appreciated though :)

I've given myself plenty of time to walk the route to Muxia, I leave St. Jean on April 29th and I have to be back in Paris to meet my sister on June 27th. It's too much time in all honesty but I plan to take some rest days, and I wouldn't mind having time after I'm done to explore Spain more or Portugal...or wherever!

I guess a question I have is, when deciding to take a rest day, do the albergues allow you to stay more than one night or is it best to get a private room or hotel?

I really just wanted to say hi to everyone and see if there is anyone out there starting off at the same time!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi all!

With so much time you will have a wonderful trip as you can stop where you like and when you like, no hurrying wonderfull.

Totally agree with Pat Beals about visiting the archaeological site at Atapuerca. You can actually get a tour from the small town of Atapuerca (which can be your stop the night before you get to Burgos). There are a couple of private Albergues there, they can tell you how to pick up the bus to the archaeological site. The tour won't be in English, but it's still very interesting.

You should also check out the great Facebook Group Camigas (Camino Amigas). Fantastic group of women walking supporting other women walking. They also have a Google Doc calendar with all the Camigas who are leaving: where and when. Very positive and upbeat ladies.

I recommend also that you take a few "rest" days. Do so in the big cities, where there is so much to see that you may in the end not actually get that much rest! The Museum of Human Evolution in Burgos (also mentioned by Pat) is fantastic, and missed by too many pilgrims. The cathedral and museum there are also, of course, amazing. In Leon, there is the Museo de Leon, which focuses on the Roman period and the Middle Ages. Loved it.

Having several days just to hang out in SdC is a wonderful idea too. Just time to decompress, visit the Pilgrim House, talk to other pilgrims and reflect on your experience before going back to the real world. Highly recommend it.

I think it is a great idea to stay in small hotels (Hostels) or Airbnb while in the big cities. I stayed in a private room in a lovely Airbnb in Leon...the apartment home of a sweet little old lady, Nicasia, who insisted on making me breakfast and speaking to me in very fast Spanish even though I told her repeatedly "lo siento, Senora, pero yo no hablo Espanol" It was an 8 minute walk from the Cathedral and very reasonably priced. One of the most memorable places I stayed.

There are so many things to see along the way. If you do have some extra time, I would suggest taking a day to check them out. A couple of suggestions could be:

Monasteries of Yuso and Suso: these are located in San Millán de la Cogolla (La Rioja), less than ten kilometres from the French Route of the Way, in the district of Cirueña. They are known as the cradle of the Castilian language, as it was here that the first written evidence of this language was recorded. Take a walk around the town and discover its majestic Romanesque buildings.

- Atapuerca archaeological site: this is the most important archaeological site in Europe. It lies about 20 kilometres outside Burgos, but you’ll have a chance to find out all about it thanks to the Museum of Human Evolution in the city itself. As well as an exhibition of the findings from the sites, there is also a shuttle bus to take you to Atapuerca.

- The Palaeolithic cave art of the Cantabrian Coast: it comprises the Altamira cave and another 17 caves which are scattered through the Basque Country, Cantabria and Asturias. The paintings they contain are about 14,000 years old, and most of the caves are very near the Northern Route to Santiago. The most important –Altamira– is in Santillana del Mar, where you can visit the museum and a life-size replica of the cave. This one would be if you have a lot of time as it is not along the Frances route.

There are many more.
Thank you for this Suggestion as I plan to take Time in this walk to SEE various sites

Can you also Suggest a Map Or Maps of Spain as I'm yet to purchase these
Will be in Spain all of May 17

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am on the site for the calender how do I put my trip on the calender?
It's actually not on the calendar site, if you click the link to "start a new thread" and select the "pilgrim introductions" forum you can then add your title and content to your post and click "create thread", on the next screen you'll have the option for "thread tools" (above your post and to the right) and that should allow you to add to the calendar.

Hi all!

I'm starting my 2nd Camino leaving SJPDP on the 26th April, but you will probably overtake me as I go very slowly!! I wish you Buen Camino and I offer one piece of advice, it's not a race, enjoy the ride, you may only ever do it once, dont waste this opportunity

Hi Gail,

If you have a few days at Santiago, do consider to visit other towns within the Galicia province.

A few years ago the Spainish national train company REFREN has this promotion deal on for pilgrims: 80 Euros for a 3 days of unlimited train pass to travel within the Galicia province. In 3 days, I visited the beautiful coastal city of A Coruna and Lugo, which has a walled fortress surrounded the old town. On the 3rd day, I took the train from Santiago to Vigo, then bought another ticket from there to travel to Lisbon. I thought it was a great value and it allowed me to see other towns at Galicia. So much history there.

Worth of try if they still have that promotion on. Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Where are you in CO? I was walking a path a month or so ago in Colorado Springs and saw a woman with a full back pack off of Gold Camp Road. Is that you?

Either way, I wish you happy Trails. Life is good

Where are you in CO? I was walking a path a month or so ago in Colorado Springs and saw a woman with a full back pack off of Gold Camp Road. Is that you?

Either way, I wish you happy Trails. Life is good
Hi! I'm actually in Eugene, Oregon for the moment. I lived in Fort Collins for the last 2 years but I moved to Oregon to live with my sister for the past 8 months-ish to help save for the Camino, but I miss Fort Collins so much and I'm moving back after my trip! Probably more info than you wanted haha but it wasn't me, maybe someone else prepping for their Camino, who knows!

You are going to have such a wonderful experience. I was really hoping you were the woman I met so I could be present physically to cheer you on and send you off at the airport. I will just do it from here. Go for it! Have fun and be well

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You are going to have such a wonderful experience. I was really hoping you were the woman I met so I could be present physically to cheer you on and send you off at the airport. I will just do it from here. Go for it! Have fun and be well
I hope you know how much I sincerely appreciate your support! I am so glad I decided to join and get involved in the forum, I don't know why I was kind of nervous to post! Part of the reason I'm doing the Camino is to meet amazing people like you and the outpouring of encouragement from you and everyone else on this site means everything! Thank you, thank you!

Hi Gail :)

I've planned to leave SJPDP April 29 also. Staying overnight in SJPDP April 28.

A little nervous as well, as it's my first solo trip and first Camino and i have 3 months up my sleeve - so I'll be taking it easy as well (no rushing around).

Might see you around :) Buen Camino!

Nate.

Hi Gail :)

I've planned to leave SJPDP April 29 also. Staying overnight in SJPDP April 28.

A little nervous as well, as it's my first solo trip and first Camino and i have 3 months up my sleeve - so I'll be taking it easy as well (no rushing around).

Might see you around :) Buen Camino!

Nate.
Hey Nate!

I'll be traveling from Bordeaux to SJPDP on the 28th and staying the night there as well so I'm sure we will be seeing each other! Can't wait to meet you, and Buen Camino!

Gail

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back