• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Caminho do Este de Portugal (Tavira - Santiago de Compostela)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for the possible link. A number of years ago, before we were aware of Camino we drove the closest road along the Extremedora, but weren't thinking of hiking then.

I happened to walk the southernmost part of this last month, as it follows the Ecovia do Littoral (a cycle-path also usable by walkers) along the coast. The Caminho seems to be marked not just from the town of Tavira, but from the W border of Tavira council. If anything, it is overmarked. It leaves the Ecovia in Altura, heading north (and I also saw markings where it passes Castro Marim train station).

The Ecovia is largely off-road, but I believe the bulk of the Caminho heading north through E Portugal just follows the main roads. There is some info on the route at https://walkingbaesurissantiago.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/2015-etapas-o-caminho-de-santiago-do.html.

The Ecovia itself starts at Cape St Vincent, and roughly follows the S coast eastwards through the Algarve, so if you like you could start anywhere on the coast, such as Faro, and join up with the Caminho further east. Its marking is a bit patchy, though, and it's not officially open yet (I assume the government ran out of money).

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
About this route a pilgrim visiting the AACS-CV gives us the joint documents.
Buen Camino
Jean-Luc

Attachments

• DSC_0268.JPG
    DSC_0268.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 60
  • DSC_0269.JPG
    DSC_0269.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 57
  • DSC_0270.JPG
    DSC_0270.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 56

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back