• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Canadians going from Porto to Santiago 23 April 2017.

JP

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2014 & 2017
Camino Portuguese 2016
Camino Del Norte 2019.
DSC04532.JPG We are hoping to return to the Camino Portugese, had to give up because of injuries last April 2016 after walking from to Coimbra to Albergaria a Velha. We are going to continue from Porto/Matasinshos following the Coastal route and heading back the Central route from Villa Conde. But we got to drown our sorrows with port wine before heading home last year!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bom caminho JP!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
After drowning your sorrows in Port you will be sorely tempted along the boardwalk which is the Coastal Route by small village eateries grilling f-r-e-s-h sardines over charcoal. Under any circumstance, Do Not Resist!
Once there and if you remember, this ex-sailor wishes you to give my regards to Saint Telmo by the bridge just before O Porriño, and yes once there take the alternate route around the town down by the river.

Last edited:
View attachment 31970 We are hoping to return to the Camino Portugese, had to give up because of injuries last April 2016 after walking from to Coimbra to Albergaria a Velha. We are going to continue from Porto/Matasinshos following the Coastal route and heading back the Central route from Villa Conde. But we got to drown our sorrows with port wine before heading home last year!
We May bump into each other, we are four Canadians walking from Porto to Santiago, along the Douro to Matosinhos then the coastal to Vigo on to Redondela,Santiago and Fisterra. We plan to leave Porto on Wednesday April 26th.

Quite possible we meet, since we are slow walkers! From our failed attempt last year we found that very few pilgrims walk that time of year so we will be easy to spot. In three days last year we saw less than 10 people, including the ones we met in the Albergues, compared to the hundreds we met on the Camino Frances in April/May 2014.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Stephen Fielding, you will be starting your walk almost a year on from when I walked from Porto to SDC. If you want company, you will find it on this route at that time. I met lots of people, many of whom I am still in contact with. Do stay at Casa Fernanda - see other threads on this topic - where you will meet many people and share a meal together, and, as you will be walking on May 1st try to take the time to enjoy the wonderful festivities. On that day in Portugal all doors (even some car windscreens) are adorned with branches of broom and spring flowers. The parades and music in Tui on that day were wonderful. Bom Caminho!

Hi Stephen Fielding, you will be starting your walk almost a year on from when I walked from Porto to SDC. If you want company, you will find it on this route at that time. I met lots of people, many of whom I am still in contact with. Do stay at Casa Fernanda - see other threads on this topic - where you will meet many people and share a meal together, and, as you will be walking on May 1st try to take the time to enjoy the wonderful festivities. On that day in Portugal all doors (even some car windscreens) are adorned with branches of broom and spring flowers. The parades and music in Tui on that day were wonderful. Bom Caminho!

Thanks for the advice, was in Leon last year on a rest day on May 1st and that was a special day, so Tui this year sounds like a plan.
Meet up last year on the frances with 4 people who will now be life long friends, planning a reunion in 2018 for the camino norte, so hope to do the same this year.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Camino Portuguese is off for this year, my Girlfriend hurt her back! We will try again next year if she feels better. Since I am not doing it, I decided to walk for 3 weeks alone on the Camino Frances instead.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.