• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Montserrat Albergue

peregrina2000

Staff member
I think I read somewhere, but now can't find it, that the albergue in Montserrat has limited hours in which you can get the key. I'd appreciate any information from those who have stayed there. Do you know if a two-night stay is possible?

Buen camino, Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Reply directly from the monastery on 16 April 2014:

We normally provide accommodation for pilgrims in their way to Santiago de Compostela. They spend the night in a building called “Nostra Senyora”. The price for them is free. In the case you are not pilgrims going to Santiago, you should pay 10 € per night.
The rooms are very simple. They only have 2 or 3 bunk beds and small wardrobes, and obviously toilets and showers. Bed linens and towels are not provided. You have to come with your own sleeping bags and towels.
To collect the keys, you should come to our office, the Pastoral Coordination Centre. Our timetable is as follows: from 9,30 a.m. to 13,00 p.m. in the morning and from 16,00 p.m. to 18,00 p.m. in the afternoon. We open every day of the week, including Saturdays, Sundays and holidays. If you wouldn’t be able to come within the office timetable, we could leave you the keys at the reception of the Hotel Abat Cisneros. They are opened the 24 hours, and the hostel for pilgrims is just 1 minute walking from the Hotel. You cannot get lost. Our telephone number is: 93 877 77 66

So no details about two nights - but I imagine it would be possible. You could contact them at
ccpastoral@santuari-montserrat.com

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I think I read somewhere, but now can't find it, that the albergue in Montserrat has limited hours in which you can get the key. I'd appreciate any information from those who have stayed there. Do you know if a two-night stay is possible?

Buen camino, Laurie
Hola, Laurie,

It seems like you've already got the contact/info you were looking for. But maybe you remember this:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/sauntering-to-santiago-free-pdf.32/?
It's very good read as such and there might be more info you could use. I don't remember exactly because I was reading that while in progress.

Ultreia!

I didn´t know you were thinking of walking this Camino! Thanks so much, Rachael. Buen camino, Laurie
It was one of our options for last year - but obviously we ended up not doing it. It's still on my wishlist - I want to hear those boys sing and also get to Barcelona.

It was one of our options for last year - but obviously we ended up not doing it. It's still on my wishlist - I want to hear those boys sing and also get to Barcelona.
I am not going to Monserrat this time but it is a fantastic place,a really good place for contemplation and prayer

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks to Rachel, I was able to contact the monastery to get the info on the albergue. Just as they said to her, the first night is free for pilgrims. Pilgrims can stay an additional night at the non-pilgrim price of 10 euros.

This is great, gives me good wiggle room if I happen to be lucky enough to have a friend meeting up in Montserrat for the next section of the walk. If I get there early, my treat would be a day in Barcelona or a day hiking around the monastery itself.

Buen camino, Laurie

Hola everyone
Firstly Thank you all for the incredible amount of information on this site. It's been invaluable to me while I've been working my way from Girona.

Secondly, a question about the Montserrat Albergue. Does anyone know if it's possible to hire blankets? I'm travelling with just a light weight sleeping sack. I know they don't have sheets etc but definitely need a bit of extra warmth!

I'll post my accommodation info when I finish this stage as hopefully it will be useful for those that come after me :)

Buon camino

Katherine

Hi, Katherine,

Welcome to the forum!

Hope you are enjoying the walk from Girona, and I hope to follow in your footsteps in a couple of months. I don't know the answer to the question about blankets in Montserrat, but I have written to the albergue to ask them and will post as soon as I hear.
Buen camino, Laurie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola Laurie!

I am so sorry I completely missed your reply, that would have been welcome news on Monday! I am indeed walking now. On Monday I decided that I was just worrying too much and set off, blankets or no blankets I was sure it would be wonderful!

I can confirm that the rooms do indeed have blankets. Also, after getting badly lost I actually hobbled into Montserrat about 8pm (just as the sun was about to set and the place was empty of tourists. Despite my bruised feet, parched throat and aching limbs I was almost glad for the wrong turns as it meant I arrived at this beautiful time. Almost!). Anyway, it meant that the albergue office was closed and I went to the hotel. Taking pity on to me, the lady from the hotel also leant me one of theirs (before I´d found the albergue ones), although judging by the look on the cleaners face when I told her where I got it from this isn´t commonplace!

Unfortunately that day has battered my feet more than they could take and a few days later I´m having to retire. Feet stopped play! The Camino Catalan is very beautiful though, I´ll post my full list of accommodation shortly.

All the best

Katherine

I have a plan to Camino this June. Thanks for everybody for all information. I wish to stay the Albergue in Montserrat but there are not enough information to find detailed information on websurfing.
From Kiwifamily's reply, I got some clues. Here is my question. DO WE NEED RESERVATION to stay there? or first come first like many other albergue?
Best,
David

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, DAvid,
Welcome to the forum. You can reserve a room via email if you want to,but I don't think there are ever too many people there. So I would not say it's at all necessary. We stayed there in June last year, and there were only three other pilgrims. Buen camino, Laurie

Muchas gracias Laurie. You make us happy. We are happily waiting the day to go to Montserrat.

Muchas gracias Laurie. You make us happy. We are happily waiting the day to go to Montserrat.

I would just add that it is probably not a bad idea to write to tell them you are coming. Look at kiwi-family's post at the top of this thread. You will see they respond in English and respond promptly. The main advantage of advance notice is that if you get there when they are closed for lunch, from 1-4 pm, then they will leave the albergue key in the hotel right across from the albergue. Otherwise you may have several hours before you can shed your packs, take a shower, etc.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks. I will try to do that. By the way, I wonder their email address, ccpastoral@santuari-montserrat.com is still working or not. Actually I sent email to them yesterday, but I didn't get back yet. I will wait few more days. Mahalo!(This means 'Thank you' in Hawaiiana. We live in Hawaii^^)

Thanks. I will try to do that. By the way, I wonder their email address, ccpastoral@santuari-montserrat.com is still working or not. Actually I sent email to them yesterday, but I didn't get back yet. I will wait few more days. Mahalo!(This means 'Thank you' in Hawaiiana. We live in Hawaii^^)

Hi, I emailed them on 28 April and got a reply on 1 May, so be patient - I think they work at a slower pace to the rest of the world!
My email was in my terrible Spanish and I got a very short confirmation reply back in very simple Spanish! I did not say when I was arriving, so I suspect that I might have to wait until 4 for my shower. I will time my arrival accordingly, and take the phone number in case I get delayed.

Thanks Felice. I got an email from them and could make reservation. \o/ Yes, I got Spanish email but it is not that hard to understand with my poor Spanish plus google translator. Once again, thanks for every body.

€83,-
Reply directly from the monastery on 16 April 2014:

We normally provide accommodation for pilgrims in their way to Santiago de Compostela. They spend the night in a building called “Nostra Senyora”. The price for them is free. In the case you are not pilgrims going to Santiago, you should pay 10 € per night.
The rooms are very simple. They only have 2 or 3 bunk beds and small wardrobes, and obviously toilets and showers. Bed linens and towels are not provided. You have to come with your own sleeping bags and towels.
To collect the keys, you should come to our office, the Pastoral Coordination Centre. Our timetable is as follows: from 9,30 a.m. to 13,00 p.m. in the morning and from 16,00 p.m. to 18,00 p.m. in the afternoon. We open every day of the week, including Saturdays, Sundays and holidays. If you wouldn’t be able to come within the office timetable, we could leave you the keys at the reception of the Hotel Abat Cisneros. They are opened the 24 hours, and the hostel for pilgrims is just 1 minute walking from the Hotel. You cannot get lost. Our telephone number is: 93 877 77 66

So no details about two nights - but I imagine it would be possible. You could contact them at
ccpastoral@santuari-montserrat.com
Thanks very much for this info. Very useful!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back