Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Birds

Shauna

Time of past OR future Camino
As avid birdwatchers can anyone tell me if there are many to see between Oviedo and Lugo. Thinking of perhaps taking it a bit slower and not walking as many miles each day to really savour the views, etc.

Early to mid June probably.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The short answer is yes, lots. With such variable terrain; deciduous and pine forest; open mountain meadow; riverine and lake environments you will be able to fill your boots. Just try and remember to walk now and again.

You may find this link useful though its not the best constructed of sites it does carry a wealth of data http://northbirdspain.blogspot.co.uk/
Just tried this link and a lot of pop ups and virus detected so exited quickly.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I HARDLY EVER SAW ANY BIRDS....
Probably because you don't have trained eyes--the wealth of birdlife in a given place isn't obvious to the casual observer.
But Shauna will probably find them. ;)
Buen Camino, Shauna! Maybe give yourself extra days so that there's lots of time to sit quietly.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Probably because you don't have trained eyes--the wealth of birdlife in a given place isn't obvious to the casual observer.
But Shauna will probably find them. ;)
Buen Camino, Shauna! Maybe give yourself extra days so that there's lots of time to sit quietly.
i digress....my sight came back praying at the tomb of saint james....then it was steven king like

Coming from a birder's paradise I must say that I haven't seen a trace of particular birds between Oviedo and Lugo when walking the Primitivo.:(

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On the Frances I saw many species of birds, and I suppose because I find them the most interesting, I saw several species of raptors. I probably saw raptors almost everyday.

I used to study birds as my day job and for the sheer enjoyment of it...and though I have a 'thing' about variety and diversity and rarity, I have to say in Spain my taste is a whole lot simpler: it is impossible to get tired of the storks! The swallows are nice too. And yeah, Mark--all the Raptors. Aren't they great?:)View media item 4888

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
And yeah, mark--all the Raptors. Aren't they great?:)

Most of the time! Day 1 of my very first Camino. Late July. Overheated and a little dehydrated I reached the border on the Route Napoleon feeling headachy and nauseous only to find the fuente was dry. Up above me a pair of griffon vultures were circling right overhead. Only just enough energy left to shout at them - "P*** off! - I'm not dead yet" - before carrying on to Roncesvalles :)

As avid birdwatchers can anyone tell me if there are many to see between Oviedo and Lugo. Thinking of perhaps taking it a bit slower and not walking as many miles each day to really savour the views, etc.

Hi Shauna, where do you live? I would be interested in a report back on how you find the birdlife, as I haven’t walked the Primitivo yet. I am a casual birdwatcher here in South Africa (near the Kruger Park), so I am always checking out birds on the camino. I was thrilled to see the African Hoopoe last time (I get them in my garden occasionally), but generally I find the birdlife in Spain to be pretty thin on the ground (or the trees :rolleyes:). I certainly don’t bother to take binoculars with me, but if you find an area that is good for birding on the Primitivo, I would take a small pair.
Jill

Mark--all the Raptors. Aren't they great?:)
Everyday over the agriculture fields, slowly patrolling, hunting for a rodent or a snake. I saw several species of hawks doing that, and now and then one would do an abrupt dive to the ground and fly off with something in his grasp.
On one CF, just before Burgos I saw a black/dark colored raptor swoop down and catch prey in a tree right by a water fountain. There were several of us sitting there taking a break and saw it. It was a short violent struggle and the raptor actually went to the ground with it, recovered and flew off with it in its grasp. I guess it was a rodent that was in the tree, or maybe a small bird.
I wondered what species it was, and a few days later I was in an albergue that had several books on a table and shelves as many of them do, and one was on birds species in Spain. I identified the raptor as a black kite, ha ha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Me neither on the Primitivo.

I did love all the storks and their nests on the Frances though. I also delighted in hearing the incessant sounds of the cuckoo bird (although never actually saw one). I was told you only hear them in the spring when they are looking for a mate. I'd never heard their "real" sound before, but my German clock at home sure makes a perfect imitation of the real thing!

Skylarks, on the Francés between Hornillos and Hontanas. Enchanting, watching them go up, and up, and up, singing all the way, and then down to the ground.

Gracos in the Paramo area. They nest in groves in numbers over 500! There are several description sites around Villadangos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Quick answer is 'Yes, if you are looking out for them'. Black kites, swifts, swallows (eg they nest round the church at Grandas de Salime) etc. A small lightweight pair of binoculars would be a good idea :).

I am not an avid birdwatcher, but I do keep an eye out for wildlife when walking. Living in the UK I saw a number of "new" species of birds in the north of Spain. among them, Black Redstart, Red-backed Shrike, Black Kite (strangely I have not seen a Red Kite in Spain!), Griffon and Black Vultures, along with more common ones like Dippers, Kestrels and Buzzards.
Wildlife is easier to spot when walking alone, or in a small quiet group. Small light binoculars (ours weigh 310 grams with case) would be well worth while, especially to identify those tiny dots circling in the sky!

DSCF3161.JPG
There are at least 6 in this photo - equivalent of a naked eye view!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Everyday over the agriculture fields, slowly patrolling, hunting for a rodent or a snake. I saw several species of hawks doing that, and now and then one would do an abrupt dive to the ground and fly off with something in his grasp.
On one CF, just before Burgos I saw a black/dark colored raptor swoop down and catch prey in a tree right by a water fountain. There were several of us sitting there taking a break and saw it. It was a short violent struggle and the raptor actually went to the ground with it, recovered and flew off with it in its grasp. I guess it was a rodent that was in the tree, or maybe a small bird.
I wondered what species it was, and a few days later I was in an albergue that had several books on a table and shelves as many of them do, and one was on birds species in Spain. I identified the raptor as a black kite, ha ha.

Thanks Mark, I like birds and am a casual birder. We have the Black Shouldered Kite in Sacramento CA. They are gull-like in appearance and easy to mistake for gulls from a distance. It has a hawk diet of rodents and insects although it is not in the hawk family. Sometimes they hover in one spot while searching for prey. Did you see any Red Tailed hawks, one of my favorites?

Thanks Mark, I like birds and am a casual birder. We have the Black Shouldered Kite in Sacramento CA. They are gull-like in appearance and easy to mistake for gulls from a distance. It has a hawk diet of rodents and insects although it is not in the hawk family. Sometimes they hover in one spot while searching for prey. Did you see any Red Tailed hawks, one of my favorites?
I didn't see any red-tailed hawks in Spain, and quite familiar with them as I have seen countless over the years where I lived in south Texas.

I didn't see any red-tailed hawks in Spain, and quite familiar with them as I have seen countless over the years where I lived in south Texas.

It would be very unlikely as the red-tailed hawk is a New World species and not native to Europe or Asia. On this side of the pond we have a closely related species, the common buzzard (Buteo buteo) and they are certainly to be found in Spain. Where I live in the western part of the UK they have made a remarkable come-back in recent years and are often see circling overhead or perched by the roadside. Our other huge success story is the red kite (Milvus milvus) whose entire UK population was under 20 in the early 1970s and now number in their thousands thanks to re-introduction programmes. I see them from my kitchen window most days. Sadly still in very low numbers in France and Spain.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It would be very unlikely as the red-tailed hawk is a New World species and not native to Europe or Asia. On this side of the pond we have a closely related species, the common buzzard (Buteo buteo) and they are certainly to be found in Spain. Where I live in the western part of the UK they have made a remarkable come-back in recent years and are often see circling overhead or perched by the roadside. Our other huge success story is the red kite (Milvus milvus) whose entire UK population was under 20 in the early 1970s and now number in their thousands thanks to re-introduction programmes. I see them from my kitchen window most days. Sadly still in very low numbers in France and Spain.

Thanks, very interesting. We have the Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura) in California which is sometimes called a Buzzard, kind of a slang expression for a Turkey Vulture here, but it is quite different in appearance from your Buzzard. Also looked up your Red Kite on the internet; what a beautiful bird; our Black Shouldered Kite (Elanus axillaris) is mostly white. I plan on bringing my binoculars on my El Camino and I will search for the Red Kite and Buzzard even though they are rare in Spain. The call of the Red Tailed hawk, ke-eeer, is often used as a sound effect in movies and t.v. shows even when they show an Eagle, which doesn't sound like that.

The call of the Red Tailed hawk, ke-eeer, is often used as a sound effect in movies and t.v. shows even when they show an Eagle, which doesn't sound like that.
The call you most often hear from the common buzzard is usually described as "mewing". It does sound very like a cat who wants you to open the door :) Very distinctive.

I'm planning on walking the Camino Frances in late March/April 2020 starting from St. Jean Pied de Port. Do you think I will hear any of the cuckoo birds. I've been so interested in hearing them since I found out they were a real thing. I thought it was just a cuckoo clock. Will the storks be around that time of year? Thanks in advance for answering because I know this is an old thread.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You may find this site helpful: https://www.bto.org/our-science/pro...MItd6Uoefz4wIVhrHtCh3AWQ0_EAAYASAAEgLLy_D_BwE

But you are unlikely to see or hear the classic "English" Cuckoo in Spain because birds on the Western Migratory route are in passage. They do not breed in Spain and therefore do not exhibit the classic "Cuckoo" call in that location. You may encounter http://www.birdwords.co.uk/bird-factsheets/great-spotted-cuckoo-clamator-glandarius/

As I posted way back in 2017 you will encounter lots of birds. Though the extensive, sadly, Eucalyptus plantations sustain little native wildlife there is still plenty to find. You'll have to work hard to spot Hoopoe but you will certainly hear them. Bee Eaters are to be seen and you might get lucky and spot a Roller https://notesonaspanishvalley.com/2015/06/04/bird-song-roller/

If you really want to see & hear a Cuckoo then you'll need to spend time, May perhaps but mostly June, in south - eastern England and even then be lucky. The population decline over the last decade has been catastrophic. I heard Cuckoo on three days this season. In my childhood I heard Cuckoos everyday.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Keep your eyes open and you might see things in unexpected places:
You'll have to work hard to spot Hoopoe but you will certainly hear them.
I saw one in the garden of an albergue right on the Frances, in Muruzabel. Was I surprised, or what!?

The population decline over the last decade has been catastrophic.
:(:(:(
No words. Because one of the things that could mean is that all their hosts have declined too.

@VNwalking now you are getting into realms that are not for this forum. Though I would hope that anyone who is camino inclined might care. The decline in Meadow Pipit and Reed Warblers has impacted the availability of host nests but the expansion of the Sahel for birds migrating in either direction in any season has made successful migration a huge challenge that many species will not overcome - even if Darwin was right.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'm planning on walking the Camino Frances in late March/April 2020 starting from St. Jean Pied de Port. Do you think I will hear any of the cuckoo birds. I've been so interested in hearing them since I found out they were a real thing. I thought it was just a cuckoo clock. Will the storks be around that time of year? Thanks in advance for answering because I know this is an old thread.
Hi Jeane, when i walked last April/May i heard alot of cuckoos in the stretch between Melide and just past Aruza. If storks are those big white birds who build nests in every available tower they are everywhere! Dee

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A note from my blog in 2016 - Monesterio to Calzadilla and the Villafranca de los Barros 24/25 Apr. Left Monesterio at just after 0700 and walked in near perfect conditions. Clear sky with an almost full moon to start and a good track. Hundreds of birds including lots of cuckoos- in fact so many cuckoos the they sound like there had a stutter.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I heard cuckoos on the Invierno this past June. Birdsong was amazing every morning - especially if I could set off at dawn. Cuckoos were always very present and dominant within the many different varieties of calls.
It is magic to hear a Cuco in an oak forest in Galicia.
I obviously need to get up earlier. :oops:
I didn't hear a single one.

I obviously need to get up earlier. :oops:
I didn't hear a single one.
To be honest I was talking about the carballeira (oak forest) in my home village that now almost doesn't exist.
There I used to hear the cuco's song with echo.
I am sure that in other carballeiras in Galicia there must be cucos. They were quite elusive so the less people around the better.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Next time.
And did I say? I am envious.:oops:
(You were there just days behind me so they must have been around. I heard a lot of birds there, but no cuckoos.)

I didn't hear cuckoos, but did see glimpses of both local species. My general experience of cuckoos is that they're hard to spot!

The birding has been pretty good on the CF. There are species like stonechats, chaffinches, and linnets that are common but don't occur where I live. Plus all those great storks, of course!

You'll have to work hard to spot Hoopoe but you will certainly hear them

The best birdwatching territory I’ve come across is in Extremadura, where I did indeed spot a hoopoe near Casar de Caceres. The only hard work involved was having to push my bike through an interminable stretch of loose sand (June 2019) and glutinous mud (May 2018).

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back