• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dublin to La Puy

PeterBarry

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances
Norte
Portuguese
Le Puy to SJPDP
Hi,
Apologies if this has been asked before, but I am wondering what is the best route to take to get to La Puy?
I can fly to Montpellier which is closest (I think) to La Puy, but am not sure how to proceed from there.

I cold fly to Bordeaux, its further away but again am not sure how to proceed from there!

Any help appreciated.

Best Regards to all

Peter from Dublin

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I think Limoge will be closest if you can get a direct flight there. If not then Lyon. Then get a train from either of those places.
(I haven't done it but I am looking into doing Le Puy myself right now.)

Hi Peter, I think Lyon will be the closest airport, as the direct train journey from Lyon to Le Puy is only about 2 hours, whereas from Montpellier the train takes over 5 hours, and from Bordeaux it's over 9 hours, with multiple connections! In any case you should check train times on the SNCF website before booking your flight.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
4000 Lyon
4100 Lyon to Le Puy en Velay
4200 Le Puy en Velay
4300 Conques

4000 Lyon

4001 This section discusses transportation in Lyon

Index 4000
4002 Lyon Airport
4003 Lyon Transportation
4004 Train Stations Lyon

4002 Lyon Airport

Lyon Airport (LYS) Saint Exupéry
http://www.lyonaeroports.com/eng

The best way to get from the Airport Saint Exupéry to Lyon Gare Part Dieu Villette is the Rhone Express Tram. Be prepared for the price shock.

Rhone Express - Shuttle from Airport to downtown Lyon
http://www.rhonexpress.fr/

4003 Lyon Transportation

Lyon transit
http://www.tcl.fr/

To go from Gare Part Dieu to Gare Perrache, depending on TCL schedule:

a. Bus #9 from Gare Part Dieu Vivier Merle to Metro station Bellacour. Transfer to Metro line A and go to Metro station Perrache.

b. Tram # 1 from Gare Part Dieu Vivier Merle to Gare Perrache.

c. Metro line B from Gare Part Dieu to Jean Mace. From Jean Mace take Tram #2 to Gare Perrache.

Allow 30 minutes.

4004 Lyon Train Stations

Lyon has seven train stations including the TGV station at the airport. The principal station in Lyon is Gare Part Dieu. The other station of interest is Gare Perrache.

Lyon Gare de Part Dieu
http://www.gares-en-mouvement.com/fr/frlpd/accueil/

Lyon Gare Perrache
http://www.gares-en-mouvement.com/fr/frlpe/accueil/

Lyon Gare Saint Exupéry TGV (airport)
http://www.gares-en-mouvement.com/fr/frjdq/accueil/

4100 Lyon to Le Puy-en-Velay

4101 This section describes transportation from Lyon to Le Puy-en-Velay.

4102 Trains

Le Puy-en-Velay is best reached by SNCF provided trains and autocars (bus). Most of the trains to Le Puy leave from Lyon Gare de Part Dieu, however some schedules have trains leaving from Lyon Gare Perrache.

It is possible to buy SNCF tickets to Le Puy from the TGV station at Lyon's Airport, however, trains travel via Paris, an eight-hour detour.

Trains from Lyon to Saint Etienne Chateaucreux may be via SNCF TGV or SNCF TER services.

Trains from Saint Etienne Chateaucreux will involve SNCF TER services either by train or bus.

The trip from Lyon may involve one or more transfers from one train to another at Saint Etienne Chateaucreux and Firminy.

At time of writing tracks (June 2014) from Firminy to Le Puy are under long-term maintenance. Typically service on the final leg, either from Saint Etienne Chateaucreux or Firminy, is provided by SNCF operated train. Currently service is by bus.

See schedule: TER 9 (Lyon - Le Puy)

SNCF
http://www.sncf.com/

SNCF TER Rhone-Alpes
http://www.ter-sncf.com/Regions/rhone_alpes/fr/Default.aspx

4200 Le Puy en Velay

4201 This section provides some information about Le Puy-en-Velay

Le Puy en Velay Tourist Page
http://www.ot-lepuyenvelay.fr/

TwinJet (Paris to Le Puy)
http://www.twinjet.fr/

4300 Conques

Conques Tourism website
http://www.tourisme-conques.fr/en/index.php

Links Checked March 2017

Last edited by a moderator:
If I were flying out of Dublin, I think I'd catch a flight into CDG Paris, then grab the TGV train at the airport to Lyon (2 hours). From the Lyon train station, there are several trains each day to Le Puy. It seems that flights from Dublin into Lyon are expensive and less frequent (I think there's only one direct flight per day that doesn't arrive until 16:30), plus the transport from the airport into the city is a ridiculous 16€ and takes an hour. In the end, flying into CDG then training to Lyon may take an extra hour but it'd be a lot cheaper, if that is a determining factor.

Last edited:
Hi,
Apologies if this has been asked before, but I am wondering what is the best route to take to get to La Puy?
I can fly to Montpellier which is closest (I think) to La Puy, but am not sure how to proceed from there.

I cold fly to Bordeaux, its further away but again am not sure how to proceed from there!

Any help appreciated.

Best Regards to all

Peter from Dublin

Hi Peter,

I live in Ireland and have travelled to Le Puy en Velay three times since 2014. Personally I recommend the Dublin to Lyon flight, tram/light rail from the airport to Lyon Part Dieu train station where you can get a train to Le Puy. I normally prebook the train online (SNCF website). From memory the connection time from airport and catching the train to Le Puy can be tight enough so my
recommendation is don't dawdle
once you collect your luggage and walk to where the light rail train/tram leaves. You need to purchase a ticket from a machine before you walk outside and down the steps to where the tram leaves. Best of luck!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Another option. Why not walk from Lyon. Its about 130 km which is probably a 5 day walk. I am planning a Le Puy to Santiago walk and find the idea of taking the first step from the train station exhilarating . My first Camino in 2013 started at the train station in Bordeaux after a flight from Montreal to Paris with a complimentary TGV ticket to Bordeaux provided by Air Corsair.

Hi Peter,

I live in Ireland and have travelled to Le Puy en Velay three times since 2014. Personally I recommend the Dublin to Lyon flight, tram/light rail from the airport to Lyon Part Dieu train station where you can get a train to Le Puy. I normally prebook the train online (SNCF website). From memory the connection time from airport and catching the train to Le Puy can be tight enough so my
recommendation is don't dawdle
once you collect your luggage and walk to where the light rail train/tram leaves. You need to purchase a ticket from a machine before you walk outside and down the steps to where the tram leaves. Best of luck!
I'm starting from le Puy on the 17th of May. I'm flying from Dublin to Lyon and was considering booking my train ticket to Le Puy but i was worried what would happen if my flight was delayed and i missed the train i had booked on?

I'm starting from le Puy on the 17th of May. I'm flying from Dublin to Lyon and was considering booking my train ticket to Le Puy but i was worried what would happen if my flight was delayed and i missed the train i had booked on?

Hi Rosser - the queues for tickets can take time which is why I prefer to book mine (you then just collect them from a machine using the card with which you paid for them with). At the time I travelled (2014, 2015 and 2016) the only train that suited was the last train heading to Le Puy en Velay that day.... As I don't know your flight times so I can't comment on how tight the connection time is to get to the train station and buy/collect your ticket... If you've lots of time then you'll be grand. If you've lots of days to hike the trail you could also 'chance' winging it on the day and worst case scenario stay overnight in Lyon if you are unfortunate enough to miss the train...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I suggest you go to the Trainline site and first check the schedules for the day of your arrival. Then ask them via email what might happen if you miss your train. I think the train from Lyon will be a TER train meaning that seats are not reserved. There will be a transfer in Saint-Étienne, I believe.

From my home in the US it is easy to book my train tickets using this company, I have found their customer service very satisfactory. Here is the Trainline site.

https://www.trainline.eu/

Tom

Thanks for your advice and help.
My flight gets into Lyon from Dublin at 16.30.
I've looked at the Trainline site and by the looks of things there's some kind of maintenance taking place as the journey time is about 5 hrs and a bus trip is involved!!

Based on arriving May 17th at 16:30, plan on at least an hour to get to the Lyon Part-Dieu train station. There is a train at 17:40 arriving at Le Puy at 21:03, another at 19:32 arriving at 23:03. Both require a change of train to a bus. The price is the same as if you buy your ticket when you arrive so there is no advantage for pre-purchasing. If you take the 19:32 train, I would seriously consider booking a room at the Ibis hotel in Le Puy which is right in front of the train station. Literally a 1 minute walk.

Another option is to try Blablacar.fr which is a ride share. It's too early to check for May, but it seems there are several rides available everyday. The price is around 9.50-11 euros and takes a couple of hours.
Bon chemin!

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks BShea for that information, I have a Hotel booked for my stay in Le Puy and that's what I was worried about as when I looked at the train schedule I reckoned that I might not get to the hotel until 11.30 approximately. I then have a tough first day as I have accommodation booked in St Prive D'Allier and have to get there as I pre -booked my first week's accommodation, therefore I must hit certain places on certain days.

Plus, if you plan on attending the 7:00 a.m. mass, which I recommend, you've got an early start after a late night arrival. :( Here's the good news... since your reservations are pre-booked, there's no rush to get to your gite. There is a fairly steep 2 km climb out of Le Puy, then the rest of the way to Monbonnet is gentle ups and downs. You can easily take a short siesta on the lawn at Le Grange in Monbonnet before the short climb as you continue on towards St. Privat. As you climb, breathe deep - the smell of pine sap is intoxicating! Once you reach the summit, it's downhill the rest of the way.
enhance

You're a gem and thanks again so much for your practical and helpful advice.
I more or less panicked into booking my first week's accommodation as I read on forums that May is very busy on the route and that the French walk en masse and block book beds.
Time will tell if this is true!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If I get to my hotel at a reasonable hour I will of course attend the 7am mass!

Thanks folks for all the info, as usual this forum rocks!
Rosser, would be interested in your accommodation plan, if you had a moment .

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter, basically what I did was book my accommodation as far as Conques according to the stages in a little Michelin guide book that I bought.
Apparently the pressure comes off after Conques as Le Puy to Conques is the most popular section of the route.
I booked a hotel in Le Puy off a Hotel booking site and for other locations I emailed the premises directly, some were on booking sites and in other cases I just did an Internet search for accommodation in the location I wanted.
Hope this is some help. Rosser

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Peter, basically what I did was book my accommodation as far as Conques according to the stages in a little Michelin guide book that I bought.
Apparently the pressure comes off after Conques as Le Puy to Conques is the most popular section of the route.
I booked a hotel in Le Puy off a Hotel booking site and for other locations I emailed the premises directly, some were on booking sites and in other cases I just did an Internet search for accommodation in the location I wanted.
Hope this is some help. Rosser

Hi Rosser,
Thanks for your reply.
Can I ask what michelin guide you are working off?
I would basically like to comlete the route to Conques the same way you are, lazily working off your research if possible.
Any help appreciated.
Peter
P.S Its getting clos for you now!!, best of luck.

Hi Peter, i bought two guidebooks off the English Confraternity of St James.
The Michelin Guide is a slim green covered book, about 6x4 inches and the other book was a Confraternity own publication on the Le Puy route.
The former has good clear route maps, along with elevations and basic information on accommodation.
The latter has historical and cultural information along with some accommodation listings, it is however a bit dated regarding this as it was written about 2006.
Not long to go now and thanks for your good wishes.
Tom.

Thanks BShea for that information, I have a Hotel booked for my stay in Le Puy and that's what I was worried about as when I looked at the train schedule I reckoned that I might not get to the hotel until 11.30 approximately. I then have a tough first day as I have accommodation booked in St Prive D'Allier and have to get there as I pre -booked my first week's accommodation, therefore I must hit certain places on certain days.

There is no way your going to get from a 1630 arrival to catch 1740 train from Lyon.

Even assuming your plane arrives on time it will take a bare minimum 30 minutes and more likely one hour to get clear of the airport. The shuttle train goes every 15 minutes and takes 30 minutes to Lyon Part Dieu. Then you still have to get from SNCF station Part Dieu to SNCF station Perrache using the TCL metro tram or bus ... so you'll definitely be too late to catch 1740. Allow 2:00 as a bare minimum estimate.

Your only choice is the 1932 train from Lyon Perrache. You'll arrive Le Puy 2302.

There is a bus 0024 arr 0713 ... not recommended.

The service is TER train/bus. No reservation possible. Your ticket is good for 90 days.

Service provider is SNCF TER Auvergne Rhone Alpes.
https://www.ter.sncf.com/auvergne-rhone-alpes

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There is no way your going to get from a 1630 arrival to catch 1740 train from Lyon.

Even assuming your plane arrives on time it will take a bare minimum 30 minutes and more likely one hour to get clear of the airport. The shuttle train goes every 15 minutes and takes 30 minutes to Lyon Part Dieu. Then you still have to get from SNCF station Part Dieu to SNCF station Perrache using the TCL metro tram or bus ... so you'll definitely be too late to catch 1740. Allow 2:00 as a bare minimum estimate.

Your only choice is the 1932 train from Lyon Perrache. You'll arrive Le Puy 2302.

There is a bus 0024 arr 0713 ... not recommended.

The service is TER train/bus. No reservation possible. Your ticket is good for 90 days.

Service provider is SNCF TER Auvergne Rhone Alpes.
https://www.ter.sncf.com/auvergne-rhone-alpes
Thanks for that, i will wait for the next train from Part Dieu which is about 19.30 . I'm caught whichever way i go at this stage. The train from Perrache won't get me in any earlier and both journeys are partly by bus due to maintenance work being carried out on the lines

Thanks for that, i will wait for the next train from Part Dieu which is about 19.30 . I'm caught whichever way i go at this stage. The train from Perrache won't get me in any earlier and both journeys are partly by bus due to maintenance work being carried out on the lines

There is no train 1930 from Part Dieu. It leaves from Perrache. (I note the sked does have trains from Part Dieu to St Etienne where you can transfer ... so not entirely true)

http://cdn.ter.sncf.com/medias/PDF/auvergne_rhone_alpes/09af_2017 hiver_V8_du 10 avr au 1er juill_tcm72-116566_tcm72-121419.pdf

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
You are right, all the later evening trains are from Perrache...ouch!!

Okay, I'll have a look and see how the trains from Part Dieu to St Etienne tie in with those from Perrache.
Thanks Again: Tom

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.