• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A sex ofender have been arrested.

Pingüigrino

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Aragones, Vasco del Interior, Baztanes. (Frances Winter, La Plata, Camino de Invierno, Mozarabe, Norte, Primitivo.)
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, but it was the Guardia Civil from Castrojeriz who investigated, and it was the Guardia Civil in Castrojeriz to whom she complained. Unless I'm misreading - quite possible considering I rely on Google Translate!

Over the years there have been a few incidents reported from Castrojeriz. I'm hoping it is the same perpetrator and he has now been caught.
The original guy in Castrojeriz was well into his 70's at least. Females had been groped by him for at least 2 years, as I found out the hard way. He was not demented, but rather approached with a benevolent smile and outstretched arms, then when close enough - grabbed hard and groped with his other hand - all the while watching one's eyes closely for a reaction. His face was a nasty leer by that time. The shopkeepers knew and warned peregrinas if they spoke Spanish. The innkeeper where I stayed knew his reputation. And within 10 minutes on the women's Facebook page, at least 4 other women said they had had the same experience with the same man there. Then a woman I ran across the next day on the trail had had the same experience with him in town. She had managed to evade his grab, fortunately. There were no police in town that afternoon, nor would I think it would have mattered since this had been going on openly for quite some time. Eventually someone on another forum suggested I write to a certain organization in the region just to report it. I did and someone later said the man had been dealt with. This could be a new person, could be the same guy and someone just grossly underestimated his age, or it could be the one from the women's Facebook page today that reports a sexual assault in Sarria (with linked article from Sarria).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hola @Kanga & @Rebekah - this is what Google Crome provided: (first headline & first sentence or two)
Arrested for sexually abusing a German pilgrim in Lugo.
The facts were developed after the complaint filed by a foreign young woman, who reported that while pilgrimage along the Camino de Santiago, was approached by a man about 60 years of age. (Looks like the man also became more aggresive and grabbed her by or around the throat.)
After a struggle the victim was able to escape and escape running the place, putting the facts in the knowledge of the Civil Guard of Castrojeriz.

Why the matter was reported in Castrojeriz I cannot say. We await developments!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Civil Guard cover rural regions, they are based out of mini garrisons out of town. There are also local police, national police and even some provincial police forces. It's very complicated. But I think no-one in a big city like Lugo would report an assault to the Guardia Civil, as there would not be a post there. So they must be separate incidents, as @Saint Mike II says.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Headline of the new said "Arrested in Lugo", but reading the full article, it said: "La inmediata actuación de los miembros del Puesto de la Guardia Civil de Castrojeriz (Burgos) The Castrojeriz´s (Burgos) Guardia Civil Garrison menber´s inmediate intervention" and "Se han instruido diligencias entregadas junto con el detenido en el Juzgado de Guardia de Burgos The detainee and police proceedings have been delivered at Burgos´s court"
I understood there was a mistake in the headline, and posted the link to Radio Camino de Santiago, realizing later that the new was published last year by ABC newspaper. The article of "Radio Camino de Santiago" are mixing both news the abuse and detention produced in Sarria last Tuesday, and the last year abuse in Castrojeriz
I

Last edited:
I know it must be difficult, but many thanks to those who make the effort and report to the Spanish authorities. Chances of stopping the offensive and scary assaults is greater when the authorities have the information. My heart goes out to all who's 'Camino' isn't all 'buen'.

I hope all these various police forces share their information properly, and don't try to compete with each other. I was told that since the sad fate of Denise, the registers from all the albergues get inputted daily to a central computer portal which is coordinated by the intelligence section of the Guardia Civil. That doesn't mean that if you don't arrive somewhere, people will automatically go looking for you, but they do now know exactly who is in the albergues and they do check to see if someone on international and national 'wanted' lists or known criminals are checking into albergues.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@HighlandsHiker I'm sorry this happened to you on the camino or anywhere else for that matter and good on you for reporting it.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back