• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances May 2017 will it be a race for a bed?

teresanm

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances May 2017
I'm planning to walk the Camino Frances solo in May 2017 and wanted to know if i need to book a bed ahead of time. I would like to keep the planning to the bare minimum and if need be I can stay in private accommodations however, I would rather keep my cost down and stay in alburgues. I am planning on taking my iPhone and getting a sim card when I get to Spain so if necessary i can book the day before or the morning of. I was looking at the statistics and I have read that there is a race for a bed in the summer months but, it looks like May is starting to be that busy as well. Please advise. Thank you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have walked the Camino Frances three times in 2014, 2015 and 2016 starting in May each time and there were around 300 per day leaving SJPP. I don't take a phone, never do bookings just walked each day until I had enough and always found a bed.

I try to avoid staying in the busy places and mostly go for municipal and parrochial albergues in the quieter places between the busier towns and cities. These albergues don't take bookings, it's just first come first served. Last year at one stop in a private albergue I was the only one staying there, had the whole place to myself in June!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Same here....did the Frances route May/June 16 and only had a problem in Leon where I wanted to stay central.
Leon have a great Tourist Information Centre who found me a Private Albergue close to the wonderful Cathedral (@15E)......really no need to pre-book!
Buen Camino

Never did it in May, but have done it in June, July, August and September, the busier months according to statistics.
I never booked ahead, and although touch and go a few times, I always found somewhere to stay for the night. In fact, quite a few times on the stretches before say about Astorga, I was in albergues that were downright empty with just a couple of us in it.
That SIM card is a good option to have in the event you need to book ahead and I will recommend for sure that you book ahead in Santiago. That city gets very busy sometimes, with pilgrims and regular tourists.
ultreia

I personally hope folks start expanding into other routes so by the time I get back the quiet routes have consistent Alburgues. Sounds like the other routes are getting busier. Oh darn I just realized just mentioning this may keep people on the Francis.... It is ok it is all good. :p

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have walked the Camino Frances three times in 2014, 2015 and 2016 starting in May each time and there were around 300 per day leaving SJPP. I don't take a phone, never do bookings just walked each day until I had enough and always found a bed.

I try to avoid staying in the busy places and mostly go for municipal and parrochial albergues in the quieter places between the busier towns and cities. These albergues don't take bookings, it's just first come first served. Last year at one stop in a private albergue I was the only one staying there, had the whole place to myself in June!!!
I agree with devon and actually do the same thing..no phone and no booking makes the Camino a wonderful experience in this manner.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
But how about booking in SJPP ? Because it is the first day for camino, I am wondering if have to book an albergue or a hotel in SJPP.
Please give me an idea where to stay best for the start following morning

But how about booking in SJPP ? Because it is the first day for camino, I am wondering if have to book an albergue or a hotel in SJPP.

If you arrive in SJPdP without a reservation go to the Pilgrim Office for help in finding a place for the night. The SJPdP Pilgrim Office is located on the camino at 39 rue de La Citadelle.

The office is open every day and in season from early in the morning until late at night ie after the arrival of the last bus/train. The helpful multi-lingual volunteers can provide you with a Credential and stamp if needed, as well as a list of major albergues and current weather/ trail conditions.

They can also help locate a bed/bunk for the night. They keep an up to the minute list of all available spaces in albergues as well as regular tourist facilities and will telephone to find you a space.

Most importantly the office is a great spot to meet/ greet other pilgrims.
...Do plan to stop and chat!

I did the CF in May of last year. There were a lot of Pilgrims along the way and lots of (mostly unhelpful) chatter in the albergues about bed races and May becoming the new August. We normally walked 20 - 25 km / day and tried to stay + or - 5 to 7 km from the end points in Brierley's guide when possible. Based on my experience, I would say that if you are getting into town by 2 pm you should be fine. After that it could be dicey, especially in Brierley ending point towns. We didn't have any problems until day 16. After walking 35 km from Ermità di San Nicolás to Carrion de los Condes, and arriving just after 3 pm, my friend and I were unable to get a room. We went to every albergue and hotel in town. We also asked to sleep in a large room with tables at Espìritu Santo, but we were told that they were at capacity and could not exceed that number. The Sister there used our albergue list to find an open spot. She finally found one another 30 km ahead at San Bruno in Moratinos. After that, we booked every day. Although I'm not sure it was necessary, it was better for our own peace of mind. We did walk with others who never booked and never had a problem.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
This is not my experience. My wife and I left SJPP on 2 May, and had difficulty finding beds from the outset. We ended up booking a day ahead in most places, and a few days ahead after Sarria.
Different experiences, I suppose. In six different years, on different Caminos (4 x CF, 2x VdlP, Camino San Olav) April, May, June, late August, Sept.) I have never been without a bed at the end of the day. That said, I start at around 07.00 +- and stop 13.00-14-30. Those who stroll in at 16.00-18.00 may have problems. I have witnessed this happening more than once...

"The bed race" is grossly overrated, in my experience over many years. Stop earlier, and if problems, walk a few more kms. You will have the whole afternoon to enjoy each new place ;)

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm planning to walk the Camino Frances solo in May 2017 and wanted to know if i need to book a bed ahead of time. I would like to keep the planning to the bare minimum and if need be I can stay in private accommodations however, I would rather keep my cost down and stay in alburgues. I am planning on taking my iPhone and getting a sim card when I get to Spain so if necessary i can book the day before or the morning of. I was looking at the statistics and I have read that there is a race for a bed in the summer months but, it looks like May is starting to be that busy as well. Please advise. Thank you.
I start May 1 from SJPDP. I'll see you on the road! The only advance booking I'm doing is arrival night. After that I'll take it as it comes. Greg

This is not my experience. My wife and I left SJPP on 2 May, and had difficulty finding beds from the outset. We ended up booking a day ahead in most places, and a few days ahead after Sarria.

My experience last year was the same as dougfitz'. It led me to post the following:

"Our group arrived in Roncevalles on May 3. A Dutch volunteer told me at breakfast the next morning that he was feeling bad that the large albergue (the one mentioned in OP's post and the one where the volunteer worked) was fully booked for the following day. I asked whether the hotel and other lodging in Roncevalles might absorb the overflow. He replied, "No, some people are just going to have to walk on".

The next day, May 4, we walked to Zubiri. I personally saw the owner of the albergue where we had reserved try to find a place for a couple. She phoned place after place. No luck. She finally sent them on to the municipal albergue where beds cannot be reserved. This happened about three more times as more people stopped in looking for a bed. The next morning another couple with whom we walked said that they had finally found a place 4 kilometers out of town. Other people had to sleep in a basement, I believe at the municipal albergue."

For peace of mind, why not ask about the amount traffic leaving SJdPP? The Pilgrim Office can probably advise you and then you can make your decision about reserving.

Buen Camino.

Tom

Thanks for the question and the answer! I'm walking in May 2017 as well (May 23rd from SJPP) and that was my hope. I made a reservation in Orrison, but that's it. I like the idea of taking my time and staying in the in-between places as well. I will ask about a "forecast" at SJPP pilgrim office before I leave as Tom suggests. Thanks all !
Mike

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I made a reservation in Orrison, but that's it. I like the idea of taking my time and staying in the in-between places as well. I will ask about a "forecast" at SJPP pilgrim office before I leave as Tom suggests. Thanks all !
That is a good plan for the first day, because Orrison fills up quickly. Actually, most days it will be fully pre-booked weeks ahead.

Other than that, the best plan is to not have a plan. Get out of your comfort zone and play by ear: You'll love it!

Buen Camino!

Like my Camino friends I have spent many nights on the Camino at various times of the year and have never booked, as suggested target in between busy towns where you will find better opportunities of accommodation also start out early each day , re SIM card if you are traveling from another EU country data roaming charges are going to be abolished this month so you can use your own phone ( but check it out )

Just a general reflection on pre-booking (and this is simply my opinion):

If you feel uncertain, by all means: Book ahead. BUT:

Many things (can) happen on the Camino:

1. You (may) get blisters, needing a rest day (I needed 4 days once)
2. You find a great village where you REALLY want to stay, before the place you have booked
3. In hostals, you will miss the cameraderie/shared cooking/communal meals (you can only book ahead at private albergues, not the public ones)
4. You may end up in a Camino family you REALLY do not want to leave, gettings new friends for life (I have)
5. You may find the love of your life (it happens) and completely change plans ;)
6. You may want to switch to another route for a few days
7. You are walking according to a set/fixed plan, missing out the spontanious life of the Camino

and likely many more points (please share...)

It is higly unlikely that you will not find a bed for the night. As I have said before: In 7 Caminos, it has never happened to me. And what's wrong with rolling out your sleeping bag on a bench/churchstep for that highly unlikely night?

You are on the Camino for several reasons, perhaps one of them is to get away from a life of regularity and rules/must-do's. Why bringing them on to the Camino, and spoil a unique experience? Looking for new ways for your life? Then you must jump... Many unexpected things (can) happen on the Camino. Maybe coincidences in your life? Then remember:

Coincidenses are God's way of staying anonymous...;) (Mahatma Gandhi)

Jump.

Buen Camino!

EDIT: FYI: I am most likely on the CF from early May, starting in Burgos (I think): No pre-bookings whatsoever...:)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
never have and have been there many times.. be hopeful'

I walked last May and June and never had a problem finding a bed. I was generally at the albergues quite early.

The only two places where I met others who had issues were Los Arcos and Leon.

I think Los Arcos is a well known bottle neck.

Leon was only an issue due to arriving on a weekend. The municipal was virtually full when I arrived at 1pm and I was lucky to get one of the last places. Everything on booking.com was full, as I had tried to pre-book, but ended up getting up very early to get into town. Might be worth bearin in mind if you arrive somewhere like Leon on a weekend. The city is very popular with stag and hen parties from Spain.

Last year was a very popular year on the camino too.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I had a lightweight tent and used it about 10 times.. just to have a break from all the noise of the albergues and also times when beds were full.. also slept on floors a few times when there were no beds left. We were on a tight budget so private places were not usually an option. We always arrived very late in the day due to my friend having very sore feet.. so many times there were no beds.. if you arrive around 5pm onwards to a location.. be prepared to rough it :)

Just to add that the only place where I found difficult to find a place is between Roncevalles and Pamploma; the reason is simple; many persons on this strech of the walk; There are enough albergues in SJPP , Roncevalles and Pamploma but not between Roncevalles and Pamploma; there are only 2 villages and not enough beds; I would be careful there;
Otherwise it is true that small albergues a few Km after a " normal" spot was very often a very nice friendly and sharing experiment.
Enjoy each of the moments and if you feel a peace of mind with a reservation, do it. You can then enjoy your walk. Then try without reservation when you feel ready for it.

I have walked in March April May and September. September last year was very busy, much more so than in 2013. I did encounter a number of albergues where they were almost booked out by people phoning ahead but I always got a bed. Given the numbers last September inflated because it was the year of Mercy and the Holy Door was opened ad I always got a bed, I would say you should have no problem. I cant of course let a particular gripe of mine pass. One albergue I stopped in, every bed, about twenty, had a reservado sign on it and I got the last unreserved bed. Next morning, all but two of those signs were still there. The hospitallera was fuming as she had turned away business and no-one bothered to phone to cancel. She said that in future she would only allow reservations for half her beds and if not taken or confirmed by phone by 3pm she would let them go. On the brighter side, In Santa Catalina the albergue filled its unreserved beds not long after I arrived. While sitting outside having a drink I spotted a couple of local ladies stopping pilgrims who had been turned away and offering them beds in their homes. Aren't the people along the camino just absolute wonders. So in summary, go with the flow, stop in the less popular towns and you will be OK

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We walked in Sept/Oct and over 1,000 pilgrims had registered as leaving SJPdP a few days before us, so it was a very busy time. We originally based our stages on the Brierly book but after about day two, we started stopping about 5kms short of the stages in the book which allowed us to walk our 20-25kms per day and still not get caught up in the bed race. We did book ahead when we could, if there were only 60 beds in town, and we did witness in Najera where about six pilgrims couldn't find beds, and no beds were found when the hospitalero called ahead to the next two towns either....so the mayor of Najera opened the community centre and allowed them to sleep there. Proof of 'the camino always provides!'

Buen Camino!

I start May 1 from SJPDP. I'll see you on the road! The only advance booking I'm doing is arrival night. After that I'll take it as it comes. Greg
Hola Greg - I too am starting from St Jean on 1st May - I have booked into Orrison, but after that its see what happens - aim on taking 4 days to reach Pamplona. See you on the road. Cheers

I originally booked Orrison for April 30 when my flight into Biarritz was arriving at 12:00. The arrival is now at 5:00 PM so there is no way for me to start hiking on April 30. I'm going to start May 1 and walk through to Roncesvalle on day 1 EXCEPT the short stop I will be making in Orrison to buy you a beer!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As a solo walker from SJPP last June, I had no problem just turning up and finding a bed, and never considered booking. Its more of an issue for groups who perhaps may wish 4 beds together in smaller villages.

My walk starts this May as well and will prefer quieter albergues but worry about cost. Is there a huge difference in price between municipal albergues and private ones. A private room now and then would be heaven.

Last edited:
I did the CF in May of last year. There were a lot of Pilgrims along the way and lots of (mostly unhelpful) chatter in the albergues about bed races and May becoming the new August. We normally walked 20 - 25 km / day and tried to stay + or - 5 to 7 km from the end points in Brierley's guide when possible. Based on my experience, I would say that if you are getting into town by 2 pm you should be fine. After that it could be dicey, especially in Brierley ending point towns. We didn't have any problems until day 16. After walking 35 km from Ermità di San Nicolás to Carrion de los Condes, and arriving just after 3 pm, my friend and I were unable to get a room. We went to every albergue and hotel in town. We also asked to sleep in a large room with tables at Espìritu Santo, but we were told that they were at capacity and could not exceed that number. The Sister there used our albergue list to find an open spot. She finally found one another 30 km ahead at San Bruno in Moratinos. After that, we booked every day. Although I'm not sure it was necessary, it was better for our own peace of mind. We did walk with others who never booked and never had a problem.
Can I ask if you walked the other 30km for a bed or where did you end up sleeping if there was nothing available in the town.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
See you out on the road! Starting my first camino on May 1st, staying in Orisson and it seems I'm already meeting some of my Camino family! This is so exciting!

My walk starts this May as well and will prefer quieter albergues but worry about cost. Is there a huge difference in price between municipal albergues and private ones. A private room now and then would be heaven.
Generally all Albergues will be priced around 5 -12 euros. The Municipal and Parrochial Albergues are at the lower end, and include some which are Donativo for which you make a donation of what you feel is appropriate.

If you want a private room you will need to check out a Casa Rural which is much more expensive, 25euros plus. I have never stayed in these places, just Albergues so I cannot comment on them.

See you out on the road! Starting my first camino on May 1st, staying in Orisson and it seems I'm already meeting some of my Camino family! This is so exciting!
It is very exciting. I'm in SJPDP 2 nights & start walking 30/4 to either Honto, Kayola or Orisson.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It is very exciting. I'm in SJPDP 2 nights & start walking 30/4 to either Honto, Kayola or Orisson.
G'day mate - and welcome to the Forum. You will be about a day ahead of me - I leave St Jean on May 1st - stopping at Orisson on the first night. But am also in St Jean for two nights prior to the departure. Might see you around! Cheers.

2. You find a great village where you REALLY want to stay, before the place you have booked
3. In hostals, you will miss the cameraderie/shared cooking/communal meals (you can only book ahead at private albergues, not the public ones)
4. You may end up in a Camino family you REALLY do not want to leave, gettings new friends for life (I have)
5. You may find the love of your life (it happens) and completely change plans ;)
7. You are walking according to a set/fixed plan, missing out the spontanious life of the Camino

It is higly unlikely that you will not find a bed for the night. As I have said before: In 7 Caminos, it has never happened to me. And what's wrong with rolling out your sleeping bag on a bench/churchstep for that highly unlikely night?

You are on the Camino for several reasons, perhaps one of them is to get away from a life of regularity and rules/must-do's. Why bringing them on to the Camino, and spoil a unique experience? Looking for new ways for your life? Then you must jump... Many unexpected things (can) happen on the Camino. Maybe coincidences in your life? Then remember:

Jump.

Buen Camino!

EDIT: FYI: I am most likely on the CF from early May, starting in Burgos (I think): No pre-bookings whatsoever...:)
im innn

Jump.

Buen Camino!

I like your comments alexwalker. I am wondering if I need to rest up with sore feet or blisters etc. where do you stay if you're only allowed one night in each albergue and have to leave by a certain time each morning. Do you have to wait around and move each day to a new albergue or find a private one to stay the duration while you get well. Thanks

Can I ask if you walked the other 30km for a bed or where did you end up sleeping if there was nothing available in the town.
The Sister at Espiritu Santu called a cab for us and we slept at Albergue San Bruno in Moratinos. It ended well as it is a wonderful Albergue run by Italians. We had one of the best dinners along the Camino there and reconnected with a young woman we had walked with for awhile on our first day. Before pleading for help, the Sister had recommended that we go to the camping site that is somewhere near the entrance to the town. This was not an option for us as we did not have tents and I only had a sleeping bag liner.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Download the Booking.com app to your phone before you leave, its the most used app on the Camino.
You may struggle in Zubiri if trying to stay there and its busy on the day. It's a couple of days in and a lot we walked with found Roncesvalles to Zubiri the hardest day.
You'l only need to book for the same day or one ahead if you wish, unless looking for private rooms.
Buen Camino!

im innn

I like your comments alexwalker. I am wondering if I need to rest up with sore feet or blisters etc. where do you stay if you're only allowed one night in each albergue and have to leave by a certain time each morning. Do you have to wait around and move each day to a new albergue or find a private one to stay the duration while you get well. Thanks
On the Via de la Plata once, I stayed 4 nights in the public albergue bc. blisters (doctor's order). No problem. Other than that, I think all private albergues will let you stay more than 1 night: They run a business.

Remember: For the Camino, the best plan is to not have a plan. IMHO.

One thing to watch is places where two Caminos or two options meet. The first town after a confluence can be more busy. So Arzúa is the place where French Way pilgrim numbers are swelled by people off the North Way. [There is a way of avoiding it if you are coming off the North Way.] Melide is where Primitivo walkers join. Similarly there is a very busy village Berducedo on the Primitivo just after the hospitales option re-joins, although folks spread out again soon after.

Also be aware of 25 July St James's Day. Local fiestas and ferías can also affect accommodation options.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If I start my Camino on a weekday rather than a weekend, does anyone have an idea of the numbers may be smaller? Read somewhere earlier that the weekdays were quieter than weekends. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks to all for all the great information. My wife and I are staying in Lourdes a couple of days and then on to SJPdP maybe the 2nd. We are excited to start our first Camino.

I'm currently in Fromista and it's becoming depressingly necessary to make bookings to secure a bed for the following day. I would expect May to get worse.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back