• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From USA

Fecone55

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking Sept/Oct 2017
I am traveling September 2017 from the southeast US (Charleston, SC). Where is best to fly in to in order to get to St. Jean? Further, how did you get back to the states from Santiago? Thank you

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Many ways to do it...my wife and I flew in to Paris, AF Bus to Montparnesse train station, Train to Bayonne, spent night at Hotel Cote Basque( short walk from train station), took 1100 train to SJPdP the next morning, arrived 1220!
We returned on Ryan Air from Santiago to Stanstead airport, UK, Bus down to Heathrow, spent night at airport hotel for flight out next day. Lots of online support through this website. We are airline staff so travelled where flight loads looked more promising.

As Bruce said, there are many ways to do it. Part of the adventure is figuring out which way will work for you. This year I flew from Dallas to Atlanta to Madrid. From Madrid I took a train to Pamplona, then shared a taxi to SJPdP. There are busses from Madrid which would cost less but I do not care for bus rides.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I flew from PHL via MAD to BIQ (Biarritz). I intended to take the bus to Bayonne, then the train to SJPP. Shortly before leaving, I learned of a group taking a shuttle from BIQ to SJPP. They had an open seat. I chose to ride the shuttle (reserved a seat in advance) instead of the bus/train. I believe the shuttle cost was 19.5 Euros vs. about 9 for the bus/train and took about 1 hour. (I'm a senior). I returned from Santiago via MAD to PHL. The layovers were about 4 hours each way in MAD.

I walked in May 2016. Because I was paying for a flight for myself and my 20 and 21 year old daughters...I researched this a lot. I finally found the best price was flying from Pittsburgh into Dublin (used Delta about $650 each round trip). Then took a straight RyanAir flight over to Biarritz (only about $75 each). Then, I used Express Bourricot taxi service:
http://www.expressbourricot.com/en.html
I think it was $19 each but we shared the taxi (little bus) with 4 other pilgrims. That service took us directly to St. Jean Pied de Port. Once in Santiago, we took a bus to the airport and flew back to Dublin using Iberia (but you could use RyanAir again).

Extra: We stayed in Beilari in SJPdP the first night and it was a great way to start the Camino. Very inviting and lovely hosts and it housed about 25 and the host had a unique and fun way for all of us to get to know each other that first night...and that was great since we met up with many of those same people throughout the Camino and even since returning home. There were people from Germany, S. Africa, US, Ireland, England, Belgium, Brazil, it was great. It was $30 each but included dinner and breakfast.

Now, we chose to spend a day in Ireland on our way over just because.. and since we'd never been...and stayed at a hotel by the airport. A bus from hotel took us right into downtown Dublin. It was a great beginning to our trip. Depending upon your arrival etc., you might be able to arrange to just get off one plane and fly right over to Biarritz but I just wanted to share that Dublin was a great city to visit.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions on preparing for the trip using dmlinohio2@yahoo.com.

Oops. I forgot to add how I got back. From Santiago I took a train to Madrid with an overnight there and a flight back to Atlanta then to Dallas.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The suggestion from @Debora about flying to Biarritz via Dublin sounds good. Would work via London too if you prefer as there are also cheap and frequent flights between London and both Biarritz and Santiago. The small fly-in-the-ointment there might be arriving and departing London from different airports. Choose carefully.

I flew from PHL via MAD to BIQ (Biarritz). I intended to take the bus to Bayonne, then the train to SJPP. Shortly before leaving, I learned of a group taking a shuttle from BIQ to SJPP. They had an open seat. I chose to ride the shuttle (reserved a seat in advance) instead of the bus/train. I believe the shuttle cost was 19.5 Euros vs. about 9 for the bus/train and took about 1 hour. (I'm a senior). I returned from Santiago via MAD to PHL. The layovers were about 4 hours each way in MAD.
What shuttle?

I have found from multiple Caminos the cheapest and honestly easiest way to get to St Jean from the US is to fly in to Madrid, bus to Pamlona and with a bus change in Sorria (small bus station and they park right next to the bus you change over too) and then in Pamplona catch the bus to St Jean (bigger bus station in Pamplona, but easy to get around and user friendly).
You catch the ALSA bus literally just outside the exit doors at the Madrid airport. ALSA also has a kiosk there where you can purchase your ticket if you don't do it in advance.
The Madrid airport is easy to get around and user friendly. I never had any problems there.
That bus ride to St Jean will take all day, but so will any other trip to St Jean from say Paris (done that route, too) or Dublin. I just found that flying to Madrid from the US and taking the bus to Pamplona and on to St Jean to be so easy.
You can get back to Madrid from Santiago via plane, train or bus. Up to you and your budget. In Santiago it is easy to get to the airport, train station or bus station. I always flew back to Madrid (Iberia Express airline or RyanAir). Flying back when you book in advance can be super cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Many ways to do it...my wife and I flew in to Paris, AF Bus to Montparnesse train station, Train to Bayonne, spent night at Hotel Cote Basque( short walk from train station), took 1100 train to SJPdP the next morning, arrived 1220!
We returned on Ryan Air from Santiago to Stanstead airport, UK, Bus down to Heathrow, spent night at airport hotel for flight out next day. Lots of online support through this website. We are airline staff so travelled where flight loads looked more promising.
Thank you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am traveling September 2017 from the southeast US (Charleston, SC). Where is best to fly in to in order to get to St. Jean? Further, how did you get back to the states from Santiago? Thank you

SJPdP is connected to Bayonne by SNCF train 4 times daily.

SJPdP is connected to Pamplona by CONDA (ALSA) bus. Schedule varies from none to several daily depending on time of year.

Biarritz BIQ is the closest airport to SJPdP. There is Chronoplus bus 14 from Airport to Gare Bayonne. There are flights to London, Dublin, Madrid, Paris and others.

Bayonne is connected by SNCF train to Paris, Bordeaux and Toulouse. There are international flights to airports at these locations.

Bayonne is connected by SNCF train to Irun and Hendaye at the border with Spain. There is Renfe train service from anywhere Spain to Irun/Hendaye. There is an Airport EAS at San Sebastian located about 5 km from Gare d'Hendaye.

Pamplona is connected by Renfe train to Madrid and Barcelona. There is ALSA and Monbus bus service from Barcelona. There is PLM Autocares and ALSA bus from Madrid. There is an airport PNA in Pamplona.

There is a major airport in Bilbao. Bilbao Airport BIO is connected to San Sebastian by PESA bus. There several bus and train options to get from San Sebastian to Bayonne or Pamplona.

A key factor is getting home. Renfe provides train service from Santiago to Madrid, Barcelona, and Irun. Santiago Airport SCQ has flights to London, Madrid, and Barcelona. In summer there are usually flights to Paris.

There is train and bus service from Santiago to Porto OPO and Lisboa LIS where there are international airports.

Lots of options.

I went Vancouver to London Heathrow. Bus Heathrow to Stansted. Overnight Stansted. Ryan Air Stansted to Biarritz. Homeward Bound. Train Santiago to Madrid (with intention to stay a few days). Easy Jet Madrid to Gatwick, bus Gatwick to Heathrow.

Next time I'd consider going by way of Dublin. UK was expensive, customs took for ever, the bus ride between airports is long.

Otherwise Madrid is more convenient as it is centrally located to theater of operations. Unfortunately there is no direct travel from Vancouver to Madrid ... so its a long trip.

Hi! I just booked my flight to Paris to begin my very first Camino Frances in April, 2017. So excited! And I live in Charleston, so if you want to chat about it let me know.

I flew into Paris stayed there for 2 days then took train to st jeans and started my walk. When I got to Santiago I fly back to Paris stay 2 more days and then flew home to Seattle.

Flew California to Biarritz then easy train ride Bayonne to St Jean. Return was train to Madrid. Trains very nice, very convenient, very reasonably priced.

Flew direct to Madrid from Dallas, took the metro and then a train from Madrid to Pamplona ( easy connection even without much Spanish ) and Istvan from the albergue, Corazon Puro, picked me up from the Pamplona train station and drove me to the albergue where his wife ,Barbara, had a delicious dinner waiting. Spent the night with them, had a quick breakfast and then Istvan drove me early to St. Jean.(Almost forgot; since some of my luggage didn't make it to Madrid, Istvan also drove me to a sport shop to buy hiking poles and other key items before he took me to Corazon Puro.)
This was a wonderful and welcoming way to start the Camino and great people. Highly recommend!!

From Santiago I took the overnight train back to Madrid and then flew back to DFW airport before connecting to Albuquerque.

It was possible to leave in the afternoon from A Coruna to Heathrow on Vueling and arrive in time to catch a late afternoon flight back to the USA. There is a bus and/or a train from direct from Santiago to A Coruna so transport is easy. Transport time was an hour +/_. And allows for an easy morning in Santiago before leaving.

From Heathrow you should be able to catch a connecting flight to the USA.

If memory is correct there were flights out of Vigo (again an hour away) to Charles De Gaulle.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Flew direct to Madrid from Dallas, took the metro and then a train from Madrid to Pamplona ( easy connection even without much Spanish ) and Istvan from the albergue, Corazon Puro, picked me up from the Pamplona train station and drove me to the albergue where his wife ,Barbara, had a delicious dinner waiting. Spent the night with them, had a quick breakfast and then Istvan drove me early to St. Jean.(Almost forgot; since some of my luggage didn't make it to Madrid, Istvan also drove me to a sport shop to buy hiking poles and other key items before he took me to Corazon Puro.)
This was a wonderful and welcoming way to start the Camino and great people. Highly recommend!!

From Santiago I took the overnight train back to Madrid and then flew back to DFW airport before connecting to Albuquerque.
One thing one must keep in mind is that if you stay at Corazon Puro, you won't make it to St Jean until about 9:00 am the next morning, and if you plan on getting your credential there and maybe some supplies you won't be able to start your actual walk that day to Roncesvalles until about 10:00 am. That's a bit late to start that walk. Doable, but means a late arrival at the albergue.

I walked in May 2016. Because I was paying for a flight for myself and my 20 and 21 year old daughters...I researched this a lot. I finally found the best price was flying from Pittsburgh into Dublin (used Delta about $650 each round trip). Then took a straight RyanAir flight over to Biarritz (only about $75 each). Then, I used Express Bourricot taxi service:
http://www.expressbourricot.com/en.html
I think it was $19 each but we shared the taxi (little bus) with 4 other pilgrims. That service took us directly to St. Jean Pied de Port. Once in Santiago, we took a bus to the airport and flew back to Dublin using Iberia (but you could use RyanAir again).

Extra: We stayed in Beilari in SJPdP the first night and it was a great way to start the Camino. Very inviting and lovely hosts and it housed about 25 and the host had a unique and fun way for all of us to get to know each other that first night...and that was great since we met up with many of those same people throughout the Camino and even since returning home. There were people from Germany, S. Africa, US, Ireland, England, Belgium, Brazil, it was great. It was $30 each but included dinner and breakfast.

Now, we chose to spend a day in Ireland on our way over just because.. and since we'd never been...and stayed at a hotel by the airport. A bus from hotel took us right into downtown Dublin. It was a great beginning to our trip. Depending upon your arrival etc., you might be able to arrange to just get off one plane and fly right over to Biarritz but I just wanted to share that Dublin was a great city to visit.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions on preparing for the trip using dmlinohio2@yahoo.com.
I am not advocating for any one service but you might sign up with hipmonk.com or pomelotravel.com and watch for that magic flight. Having walked recently with a cousin living in North Carolina my research showed no direct flights, look into Paris (CDG) or Madrid (MAD).

I second the recommendation for Corazon Pura for your first night.

I flew from Asheville, NC to Madrid (connection in ATL). Took a bus to Pamplona, it was easy and I reserved my bus seat online in advance. Istvan from Corazon Pura picked me up at the bus station, really enjoyed the dinner and evening at their albergue, and then he whisked us off to SJPdP the next morning.

From Santiago, I flew from there to Madrid -- did not book before I left but probably a couple of weeks before I was finished with the CF. It was very cheap by US standards. I spent the night in Madrid and left the next morning for home.

All of the travel segments were good. I was a bit afraid of the bus to Pamplona, as I can get carsick, but no problems at all. It was actually relaxing.

Buen Camino,
Priscilla

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I will also be starting late August ~ early September from south Florida. I have not booked, but flights from south Florida seem to be cheaper into CDG rather than MAD. I have been using Google Flights. Here is a hyperlink on how to View fares in the calendar. You can also Track fares for your favorite flights.

Tentative schedule using award travel with United. I am leaving how to get home open.
Travel Day 1
• I will fly overnight to Roissy - Charles De Gaulle International Airport (CDG) in Paris France.
• Most of the United Airlines flights to Paris connect through Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR).
• Liberty International (EWR) 18:20 - Roissy-Charles de Gaulle (CDG) 7:45.
Travel Day 2
• There is an easyJet flight that leaves Roissy - Charles De Gaulle International Airport (CDG) in Paris France for Biarritz France (BIQ) at 10:50AM – 12:15PM. The flight time is 1 hour 25 minutes. The cost of the flight is $67.70.
• I will take a taxi from the Biarritz airport to the Bayonne train station.
• I will take a train from Bayonne France to St. Jean De Pied Port France.
• There is a train from Biarrtiz France to St. Jean De Pied Port at 13:30 – 16:23. It is a 10 minute ride from Biarritz to Bayonne. There is a 1:30 layover in Bayonne; therefore, taxi from Biarritz to Bayonne and skip the layover. May consider staying in Bayonne rather than sitting at the train station? Or go get lunch and make it back in time for the train to St. Jean De Pied Port.
• I will spend the night in St. Jean De Pied Port. Get a good night sleep and recuperate from the travel.
Travel Day 3
• I will take a zero day in St. Jean De Pied Port before embarking on my Camino.
• I will spend the 2nd night in St. Jean De Pied Port.
Camino Day 1
• Breakfast and a leisurely start on the Camino.
• I will spend the first night at Orisson.
• That is as far as the plan goes. I am winging the rest.

I have also considered the Dublin, Ryan Air connection mentioned since I enjoy Dublin.

Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi!Mark,
I like your post especially explaining taking bus from the airport.
I am leaving US to Madrid then will take bus to Astorga. From there me and my husband are going to walk the Camino.
I am having problems notifying ALSA bus service, I thought purchasing bus tickets,
providing information plus visa # ect. No email was received. It might not went
thru probably. Guess just wait my visa statement and see.
Like you said I could buy ticket at the airport kiosk.
I am relieved for that information. I booked hotel in Astorga.
Leaving on March 20th form US. First time on the Camino for both of us.
In the meantime continue training and preparing the journey.
Thanks. From Cathy.

I returned from my first Camino about a month ago. I took Iberia direct from LAX to Madrid ($900). Spent a night there to get accustomed to the time change. Took another Iberia flight the next day to Biarritz (around $80) where Express Bourricot picked up me and a van full of others and took us to St Jean. Stayed at Beilari the first night and like Deborah said, it was a lovely way to start with great hosts who get you started with a beautifully human perspective on being a pilgrim. I'm in California and would be happy to talk to you. Feel free to message me.

My return experience won't help you because I hooked up with a friend who had a car... but I'd probably look into taking a train from Santiago to Madrid and then flying back to the US.

Hi!Mark,
I like your post especially explaining taking bus from the airport.
I am leaving US to Madrid then will take bus to Astorga. From there me and my husband are going to walk the Camino.
I am having problems notifying ALSA bus service, I thought purchasing bus tickets,
providing information plus visa # ect. No email was received. It might not went
thru probably. Guess just wait my visa statement and see.
Like you said I could buy ticket at the airport kiosk.
I am relieved for that information. I booked hotel in Astorga.
Leaving on March 20th form US. First time on the Camino for both of us.
In the meantime continue training and preparing the journey.
Thanks. From Cathy.

Most other bus companies in Spain will not sell you a ticket more than 30 days in advance.

ALSA is a cut above the other bus companies. That being said, I would be surprised if even ALSA sold you a ticket for March at this early date.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I will also be starting late August ~ early September from south Florida. I have not booked, but flights from south Florida seem to be cheaper into CDG rather than MAD. I have been using Google Flights. Here is a hyperlink on how to View fares in the calendar. You can also Track fares for your favorite flights.

Tentative schedule using award travel with United. I am leaving how to get home open.
Travel Day 1
• I will fly overnight to Roissy - Charles De Gaulle International Airport (CDG) in Paris France.
• Most of the United Airlines flights to Paris connect through Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR).
• Liberty International (EWR) 18:20 - Roissy-Charles de Gaulle (CDG) 7:45.
Travel Day 2
• There is an easyJet flight that leaves Roissy - Charles De Gaulle International Airport (CDG) in Paris France for Biarritz France (BIQ) at 10:50AM – 12:15PM. The flight time is 1 hour 25 minutes. The cost of the flight is $67.70.
• I will take a taxi from the Biarritz airport to the Bayonne train station.
• I will take a train from Bayonne France to St. Jean De Pied Port France.
• There is a train from Biarrtiz France to St. Jean De Pied Port at 13:30 – 16:23. It is a 10 minute ride from Biarritz to Bayonne. There is a 1:30 layover in Bayonne; therefore, taxi from Biarritz to Bayonne and skip the layover. May consider staying in Bayonne rather than sitting at the train station? Or go get lunch and make it back in time for the train to St. Jean De Pied Port.
• I will spend the night in St. Jean De Pied Port. Get a good night sleep and recuperate from the travel.
Travel Day 3
• I will take a zero day in St. Jean De Pied Port before embarking on my Camino.
• I will spend the 2nd night in St. Jean De Pied Port.
Camino Day 1
• Breakfast and a leisurely start on the Camino.
• I will spend the first night at Orisson.
• That is as far as the plan goes. I am winging the rest.

I have also considered the Dublin, Ryan Air connection mentioned since I enjoy Dublin.

Buen Camino
Very helpful post! I plan to leave Greenville, SC, on Labor Day 2017 weekend. Probably arrive in SJPP on ~Sep 5. Perhaps our paths will cross!

I plan to travel on September 3, 2017, from Greenville, SC, to Madrid, then train to Pamplona. From there, I will use the service of PensiĂłn CorazĂłn Puro. They pick you up in Pamplona, take you to their pension in Bizkarreta, feed you, provide a night's lodging, provide breakfast, then drive you to SJPP to start your Camino. It looks like the best option for me. Check out their website here: http://www.corazonpuro.es/Enghome.html
For the return, I'll probably train from Santiago to Madrid, then return from there. I will be booking a round-trip flight between home and Madrid.
Hope this helps...

Flew direct to Madrid from Dallas, took the metro and then a train from Madrid to Pamplona ( easy connection even without much Spanish ) and Istvan from the albergue, Corazon Puro, picked me up from the Pamplona train station and drove me to the albergue where his wife ,Barbara, had a delicious dinner waiting. Spent the night with them, had a quick breakfast and then Istvan drove me early to St. Jean.
My sister & I walked CF in May/ June 2016, also staying at Corazon Puro. Seemed a good value for transportation, pleasant room + 2 meals (price then 25€ for transportation (Pamplona to Corazon Puro then to SJPP (or Roncevilles) 25€ for lodging per person). We stayed there again on way back through. I found the recommendation for Istvan & Barabara's here on the forum prior to our trip. Pix of view from our room. IMG_3730.JPG

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This plan is simple enough, but I haven't made first Camino yet,
have to see and how I feel about.
There are so many options you will take to explore and see.
Now finally Gaudi church in Bacelona is finished,
100 years anniversary will celebrate in Fatima ect......plus I would like to take western part of the Europe pilgrims. My husband and I took eastern part of Europe before.
Being an American that pilgrim was a culture shock.
In Astorga there's Cathedral which Gaudi family built.
I do want to taste of that art work.
Hope, everyone is well enough to enjoy all the plans they have.
Your plan actually make me think to do it. I saved it in my iBook.
Thanks, vettesquared. From Cathy.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks, for accurate information.
From Cathy.
I will also learn the towns I am passing.
Hope, you have wonderful Camino.
We have ours too. Hope, this not the first and the last one for us.
From Cathy.

This past summer (July/Aug) I flew to Paris CDG. There is a train station at CDG that has trains to Bordeaux. Then changed trains to Bayonne and finally to St. Jean. You can book online on sncf.com. It took the entire day but I like train travel.
Coming back, I booked a flight from SdC to Madrid and then to Paris on Iberia Airlines. It cost me $48 for the entire flight. Stayed in Paris for two days before flying back to the US.

Re. From Bayonne by Train: If you are taking the train from Bayonne to SJPdP, note that the train terminates at Campo-les-Bains where you will walk around the station to the back where a bus (le autobus, autocar, or car in French) will take you the rest of the way to the train station at SJPdP. This is how it worked for me in 2014.

Re. Spain: Note also that if you buy a ticket from an ALSA bus driver, you'll probably need exact change, or something close. Not a 50€ or 100€ note. So, when you get euros from an ATM, never request an even amount in 100s or 50s. If you request 300€, you'll get 6 x 50s. It's better to request 330€ and you'll get 5 x 50s and 4 x 20s.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Re. From Bayonne by Train: If you are taking the train from Bayonne to SJPdP, note that the train terminates at Campo-les-Bains where you will walk around the station to the back where a bus (le autobus, autocar, or car in French) will take you the rest of the way to the train station at SJPdP. This is how it worked for me in 2014.

Re. Spain: Note also that if you buy a ticket from an ALSA bus driver, you'll probably need exact change, or something close. Not a 50€ or 100€ note. So, when you get euros from an ATM, never request an even amount in 100s or 50s. If you request 300€, you'll get 6 x 50s. It's better to request 330€ and you'll get 5 x 50s and 4 x 20s.

The tracks beyond Cambo les Bains were washed out in April 2014. The tracks havc since been repaired ... the entire route from Bayonne to SJPdP is (usually) by train.

Thank you, our tickets cost closer to 50 euro.
I prepare for the fair, when purchasing tickets on line didn't get thru.
Thanks again. Cathy.

This past summer (July/Aug) I flew to Paris CDG. There is a train station at CDG that has trains to Bordeaux. Then changed trains to Bayonne and finally to St. Jean. You can book online on sncf.com. It took the entire day but I like train travel.
Coming back, I booked a flight from SdC to Madrid and then to Paris on Iberia Airlines. It cost me $48 for the entire flight. Stayed in Paris for two days before flying back to the US.
Thoughts about flying from Orlando to Bordeaux as opposed to Paris? My only concern is getting from Santiago to Bordeaux at the end of the camino.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi! I just booked my flight to Paris to begin my very first Camino Frances in April, 2017. So excited! And I live in Charleston, so if you want to chat about it let me know.
Lisa, I'm leaving Charleston on Sept 11 and if you have time to compare planning notes before you leave please let me know. I am walking with a friend and if getting together doesn't suit him my wife and I would love to meet. let me know.

Thoughts about flying from Orlando to Bordeaux as opposed to Paris? My only concern is getting from Santiago to Bordeaux at the end of the camino.

Renfe train from Santiago to Irun/Hendaye.

Metro Donostialdea from Irun Colon station to Hendaia. Colon station is located across the tracks from Irun Renfe station. Hendaia is co-located with Gare d'Hendaye.

SNCF train from Hendaye to Bordeaux.

I am very late to this thread, but I have a couple of suggestions. I know that there are many people who save money by flying into London or Frankfurt and then booking on another airline for a ticket to Biarritz or taking a train or bus there. And then figure out how to get back there from Santiago. I maybe am not as focused on saving every last euro, but I have found that overall, flying from the US to as close to the starting point as possible and flying out of Santiago will save a lot of time, give a lot more security, and usually doesn't cost much more money, especially if you factor in a night in hotels in Madrid, etc.. For one thing, if you book separate tickets and miss your connection, you lose the second ticket and have to pay for it again (which may be very expensive at the last minute). On the other hand, if you have just one ticket, if you miss your connection, it's the airline's responsibility to rebook you.

If you are planning to fly in, walk the camino, and fly home (without tourist stops at the beginning or end) I would suggest looking at a One World Airlines partner (Iberia, American, or BA are the main ones in the US). Then, fly into Pamplona or Biarritz and out of Santiago (this is a multi-city option on the websites). Your add-on costs will then be minimal. Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I looked into this for a summer Camino and found the prices to travel into Biarritz or Pamplona to be cost prohibitive. For late june travel to SJPDP I ended up with 600USD RT New York to London, plus 53USD London to Biarritz (plus 23USD hostel stay in London so I fly next day) plus 49USD SAntiago de Compostela to London for return (plus 23 USD hostel stay in London again so I fly next day) equals total 750USD Roundtrip NYC to the Camino. This compares to over 1200USD going directly NYC to Biarritz or Pamplona. I did spend a lot of time researching. Costs RT NYC to Madrid will be similar to routing through London if you can find NYC to Madrid for 600USD.

Istvan unfortunately is not opening Corazon Puro this year due to family illness in Hungary.

I've flown nonstop from Chicago to Madrid, then a train to Pamplona the same day I arrive in Madrid. This spring I will be taking a taxi from the Pamplona train station to SJP as there is only 1 bus running each day in early April all the way to SJPdP and the time did not work for me.

I have always taken Ryan air for the flight from Santiago back to Madrid. Very reasonable if booked online ahead of time. The only negative is that daily flight departs quite early in the morning.

I've flown nonstop from Chicago to Madrid, then a train to Pamplona the same day I arrive in Madrid. This spring I will be taking a taxi from the Pamplona train station to SJP as there is only 1 bus running each day in early April all the way to SJPdP and the time did not work for me.

I have always taken Ryan air for the flight from Santiago back to Madrid. Very reasonable if booked online ahead of time. The only negative is that daily flight departs quite early in the morning.

Save a few bucks.

Renfe train Madrid to Irun/Hendaye.

SNCF train from Hendaye to Bayonne.

SNCF TER train from Bayonne to SJPdP. 1st train leaves at 0745 making a stay at Hendaye or Bayonne viable.

Else take ALSA bus from Madrid to San Sebastian and Renfe Cercanias from San Sebastian to Irun.

San Sebastian to Bayonne is a major transportation corridor with several options not stated here. Pamplona to SJPdP is a summer tourist route with very limited service. The train from Bayonne to SJPdP runs all year, usually 4 x daily.

Thank you for your kind suggestions on how to save money on transportation to SJPdP. Some of us, after a long transatlantic flight, prefer to simplify the trip by eliminating some transfers, even if it does cost more. Fortunately there are multiple ways of getting there so each of us can choose our own best option.

Thank you for your kind suggestions on how to save money on transportation to SJPdP. Some of us, after a long transatlantic flight, prefer to simplify the trip by eliminating some transfers, even if it does cost more. Fortunately there are multiple ways of getting there so each of us can choose our own best option.
You have expressed my thoughts exactly, Sparrow! I prefer to pay a little more to try and have the most seamless route available to me.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Save a few bucks.

Renfe train Madrid to Irun/Hendaye.

SNCF train from Hendaye to Bayonne.

SNCF TER train from Bayonne to SJPdP. 1st train leaves at 0745 making a stay at Hendaye or Bayonne viable.

Else take ALSA bus from Madrid to San Sebastian and Renfe Cercanias from San Sebastian to Irun.

San Sebastian to Bayonne is a major transportation corridor with several options not stated here. Pamplona to SJPdP is a summer tourist route with very limited service. The train from Bayonne to SJPdP runs all year, usually 4 x daily.
When I did the Norte last year I did take the Renfe train from Madrid airport to San Sabastian, where I started my walk. But your suggestion to get to SJPdP, while knowledgeable on the various methods to get there, takes me farther out of my way and takes more time. The taxi will only cost me 25euro as I'm sharing it with 3 other family members and gets us to SJ by late afternoon.

I plan to travel on September 3, 2017, from Greenville, SC, to Madrid, then train to Pamplona. From there, I will use the service of PensiĂłn CorazĂłn Puro. They pick you up in Pamplona, take you to their pension in Bizkarreta, feed you, provide a night's lodging, provide breakfast, then drive you to SJPP to start your Camino. It looks like the best option for me. Check out their website here: http://www.corazonpuro.es/Enghome.html
For the return, I'll probably train from Santiago to Madrid, then return from there. I will be booking a round-trip flight between home and Madrid.
Hope this helps...
As an update to my previous comment, Corazon Puro is now closed indefinitely. I'll check back with them about 60 days out to see if it has changed.

I agree completely. And I think that a lot of people wrongly assume that adding intra-Europe flights on to their transatlantic ticket will cost them a lot more. For the last ten years or so, I have flown US-Madrid-some point in Spain and then Santiago-Madrid-US. This "multi city option" or "open jaw ticket" adds at most a couple hundred dollars to my total. Yet it saves me a ton of time. Especially on the return home, I leave Santiago in the early morning, get a US flight in Madrid before noon, and am home in my little east central Illinois town that night. If you fly American or an American partner like BA or Iberia, you can add these Iberia flights in Spain with very little add-on. Sometimes I want to spend a few days in Madrid at the end, so I just train it down from Santiago, but if I'm going straight home, this is hands down the best way to go. It's crucial to maks sure it's all on one ticket, though, because if my flight from Santiago is late, the airlines will have to take care of me and get me home. If the Santiago-Madrid flight is a separate ticket, it's much riskier because a missed Madrid flight will be your problem. Buen camino, Laurie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello and thank you all for such wonderful details from everyone's research. I am planning to walk Camino de Santiago in late Aug-Sept 2018. So many choices to get to SJPdP! I am one who will pay more for ease of transition and travel.
For clarification .. I think this is a viable route... please comment if not ...
Thank you NOLA Cajun for this BTW
1.I will be flying from LAX to Paris ( been to CDG before so comfort in that)
2.Catch train from CDG to Bordeaux
3. At Bordeaux catch train to Bayonne
4.at Bayonne catch train to Saint Jean I
Read that train possibly stops at Campo Los Bain's ??
Anyone recently travel straight to SJPdP on this train from Bayonne?
Q. How far away is the train station in Saint Jean to the office to pick up my compostella!
Q. Suggestions on where to stay in SJPdP to rest up before starting?
Thank you Thank you!
SLOChick

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello and thank you all for such wonderful details from everyone's research. I am planning to walk Camino de Santiago in late Aug-Sept 2018. So many choices to get to SJPdP! I am one who will pay more for ease of transition and travel.
For clarification .. I think this is a viable route... please comment if not ...
Thank you NOLA Cajun for this BTW
1.I will be flying from LAX to Paris ( been to CDG before so comfort in that)
2.Catch train from CDG to Bordeaux
3. At Bordeaux catch train to Bayonne
4.at Bayonne catch train to Saint Jean I
Read that train possibly stops at Campo Los Bain's ??
Anyone recently travel straight to SJPdP on this train from Bayonne?
Q. How far away is the train station in Saint Jean to the office to pick up my compostella!
Q. Suggestions on where to stay in SJPdP to rest up before starting?
Thank you Thank you!
SLOChick

123 - Tickets are from CDG to Bayonne and Bayonne to SJPdP. You might find a train from Gare Montparnasse to be more convenient to your schedule. Bordeaux transfer is usually ten minutes involving crossing of the platform from train to train.

4. Train was out of service due to track damage and service was provided by bus. The train is back in service and the entire journey from Bayonne to SJPdP is by train.

If you don't have any trouble with the twisted streets ... and follow the walkways over the wall ... you can get from SJPdP station to pilgrim office within 15 -20 minutes. Its best if you have a map or sketch (from google earth perhaps).

You might consider obtaining a credencial from Ivar (see link at top of this page) before you travel.

If its a compostella you're wanting ... its about 800 km to Santiago where the pilgrim office issues.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
Greetings! I will be traveling with my daughter to walk the Camino Portuguese from Porto in July. The dates are a bit flexible, but not completely so. I’ve been researching flight tickets, and...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back