• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gear Selection Stress - Not Just for Camino Newbies

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
Next year can't come fast enough. I'll be setting out on my third Camino, joined by my wife Pat on her second.

But I'm stressing out over gear. And I'm starting to hate the gear manufacturers :(

You see, for my first Camino in 2015, I researched and tested gear for months. I went through three backpacks. Two different pants. About 6 different shirts. But luckily my boots were right from the outset.

My gear got me 800 kms with out getting wet, blistered or chaffed. IT all worked really well.
The same gear gave the same result in 2016, when walking with my wife on a 'shortie' from Sarria.

Now to 2017. The tread on my boots is almost worn down. the uppers no longer give enough ankle support and also have couple of holes. Time for a new pair.

My trusty walking shirt, now needs a twin for evening wear. I'll leave behind the Marinos and others I tried.

And my walking pants, finally split, due to weight gain between Caminos :eek:

No problem. I'll just replace these tried and tested items. Or so I thought.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Salomon are now on the Mark 3 of the boot and these are nowhere near as comfortable as my old Mark 1's....

Mountain Design no longer make the same style of walking pants.

And Yep. Kathmandu no longer make the lightweight shirt that had just the right blend of fabrics to be fast drying without it seeming like I was walking in a plastic bag!

Gear selection is now going to be more stressful than my first Camino. Back then I didn't know any better and was happy with what I had. Now I've got two injury free Caminos without gear failure under my belt and I can't use some of the same gear. Because the manufacturers don't make it anymore! :(

So anything I pick is likely to be second best :eek:

Oh dear.......the trials and tribulations of Camino planning don't get any easier with time......

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes @Robo I'm having the same stress - only over my phone, which I'll have to replace before leaving in three weeks. Too many choices, too many decisions.

Major renovations at my house and contractor moved the contents of my Camino Closet to furnace room with lots and lots, and lots, of other things. Managed to find my backpack, and one pair of poles, but not the clothes, including sunhat, towel, tshirts, macabi, long undies for bed time, socks, Icebreaker undies, and the list goes on.

The good news is that manufacturers have apparently listenened and women can now find outdoor clothes that are not just pink, purple and teal, dark drey is apparently back on the shelves. Will not be looking like a clown this time.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Will not be looking like a clown this time.

I like muted colours. I hate to stand out in a landscape - or even a room. My mother-in-law who is a quilter with a good eye for colour once memorably summed up my entire wardrobe in one word: "mud". She then cheered me up a bit by expanding it a little: "classy mud" :)

Ah the joys of the market economy!! If they didn't produce something new - maybe not better - you would have no reason either to update or even to come into their shops. But I take your point about the shirts - I have a long sleeve one - now almost 3 years old - works well but can't find a mate. Bugger!:(

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Fly to Madrid in 18 hours time and still can't get my arse in gear to get my kit ready. This will be my 3rd camino and on the previous ones I'd have had my pack sitting next to the front door for the last 2 days or so already! I've sort of dragged everything out of cupboards into a heap in the bed this afternoon but that's as far as I've got. I suppose I don't really want to pack it all up too soon as I know I'll just unpack it all and repack in the morning again just to be sure I have everything etc...The gear selection "stress" is coming in the form of trying to resist adding extra items to my mental list of absolute bare essentials (must be under 5kg fetish).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Next year can't come fast enough. I'll be setting out on my third Camino, joined by my wife Pat on her second.

But I'm stressing out over gear. And I'm starting to hate the gear manufacturers :(

Oh dear.......the trials and tribulations of Camino planning don't get any easier with time......

It's not just you, that's for sure. I needed to replace my hiking pants and shirts after years and years of use. I must have tried on every pair of pants and shirts at REI. The pant rises are way too low to be comfortable, the cuts are narrower (because apparently women asked for sexier looking styles), the pockets smaller, etc. The quality of the material has gone down. Even tried and true ExOfficio is now getting reviews that indicate the new underwear falls apart. They used to be bomber proof.

Boots? Hiking shoes? Total crap on the market. You are basically buying disposable shoes. At least I still have my Raichle mountaineering boots for real backpacking.

So I feel your pain :mad:

edited to add: But that didn't stop me from spending hundreds of dollars at REI. So yeah, consumerism at it's best.

Major renovations at my house and contractor moved the contents of my Camino Closet to furnace room with lots and lots, and lots, of other things. Managed to find my backpack, and one pair of poles, but not the clothes, including sunhat, towel, tshirts, macabi, long undies for bed time, socks, Icebreaker undies, and the list goes on.

The good news is that manufacturers have apparently listenened and women can now find outdoor clothes that are not just pink, purple and teal, dark drey is apparently back on the shelves. Will not be looking like a clown this time.
Yeah, just when I learned to embrace pink, purple, and teal. Grey is back. Figures. But I must admit that I love the teal accent on my Osprey back. And the unintentionally matching Black Dimond poles. :cool:

I share everyone's pain. WHY do they make new styles of my trusty shoes? WHY do they change sizes to reflect the population's increasing weight? (In 2000 on my first camino, I was a size 14. Today, at the exact same weight, I am an 8 or 10). WHY do they decrease the quality to keep the price the same? It's enough to make you want to take to the streets!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My walking trousers picked up a canoeing related hole just above the knee. Walking from SJ in July. Ignore, repair or replace? Aaaaaarg!

my view:
Ignore - it will just get worse
Repair - if you can
Replace - if you must

Good Luck!

It's not just you, that's for sure. I needed to replace my hiking pants and shirts after years and years of use. I must have tried on every pair of pants and shirts at REI. The pant rises are way too low to be comfortable, the cuts are narrower (because apparently women asked for sexier looking styles), the pockets smaller, etc. The quality of the material has gone down. Even tried and true ExOfficio is now getting reviews that indicate the new underwear falls apart. They used to be bomber proof.

Boots? Hiking shoes? Total crap on the market. You are basically buying disposable shoes. At least I still have my Raichle mountaineering boots for real backpacking.

So I feel your pain :mad:

edited to add: But that didn't stop me from spending hundreds of dollars at REI. So yeah, consumerism at it's best.
I don't understand why the industry puts these itty bitty pockets in women's clothes, or even FAKE pockets!
And the low rise waist is not only uncomfortable and unbecoming, it's downright dangerous if you're bending over to retrieve something that fell out of those itty bitty pockets.
There is no solution other than buying men's pants that have real pockets and will cover your assets.

I don't understand why the industry puts these itty bitty pockets in women's clothes, or even FAKE pockets!
And the low rise waist is not only uncomfortable and unbecoming, it's downright dangerous if you're bending over to retrieve something that fell out of those itty bitty pockets.
There is no solution other than buying men's pants that have real pockets and will cover your assets.

T'is ever the truth. Clothing manufacturers seem to view women's clothing as that much more "disposable" than men's: the fabric is frequently more flimsy, pockets are not practical, and the construction is poor: and with few exceptions, are made to practically "self destruct" after a short period of time.

I wanted a simple pair of cargo pants. I finally found a pair on ebay, otherwise I would have been shopping in the men's section too.

The boys' section can be of help, especially anything called "cargo". Apparently, teenage boys like real pockets. I found something made for "hefty" 14-year-old boys that had both space for my hips and pockets.
Yeah.
No.
I'm a bit beyond hefty.
I'm bordering heifer, but in a nice Disney Clarabelle Cow way.
clarabelle_by_unauthorized_mermaid-d5ip389.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

You see, for my first Camino in 2015, I researched and tested gear for months. I went through three backpacks. Two different pants. About 6 different shirts. But luckily my boots were right from the outset.

My gear got me 800 kms with out getting wet, blistered or chaffed. IT all worked really well.
The same gear gave the same result in 2016, when walking with my wife on a 'shortie' from Sarria.

Now to 2017. The tread on my boots is almost worn down. the uppers no longer give enough ankle support and also have couple of holes. Time for a new pair.

My trusty walking shirt, now needs a twin for evening wear. I'll leave behind the Marinos and others I tried.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Salomon are now on the Mark 3 of the boot and these are nowhere near as comfortable as my old Mark 1's....

And Yep. Kathmandu no longer make the lightweight shirt that had just the right blend of fabrics to be fast drying without it seeming like I was walking in a plastic bag!

Gear selection is now going to be more stressful than my first Camino. Back then I didn't know any better and was happy with what I had. Now I've got two injury free Caminos without gear failure under my belt and I can't use some of the same gear. Because the manufacturers don't make it anymore! :(

I'm so glad to hear that a seasoned walker is having these problems. My friend and I will be walking Camino April/May 2018 and I cannot find a comfortable backpack! I have tried just about everyone in every store. I'm also confused about what size to take as we are walking the entire 800kms and then travellling back to Paris for 4-5 days and will need clothes for there as well. Can anyone help??

I'm so glad to hear that a seasoned walker is having these problems. My friend and I will be walking Camino April/May 2018 and I cannot find a comfortable backpack! I have tried just about everyone in every store. I'm also confused about what size to take as we are walking the entire 800kms and then travellling back to Paris for 4-5 days and will need clothes for there as well. Can anyone help??
You don't need special clothes for Paris. People will know you are a tourist even in your "other" clothes. Embrace your Camino gear.

Fly to Madrid in 18 hours time and still can't get my arse in gear to get my kit ready. This will be my 3rd camino and on the previous ones I'd have had my pack sitting next to the front door for the last 2 days or so already! I've sort of dragged everything out of cupboards into a heap in the bed this afternoon but that's as far as I've got. I suppose I don't really want to pack it all up too soon as I know I'll just unpack it all and repack in the morning again just to be sure I have everything etc...The gear selection "stress" is coming in the form of trying to resist adding extra items to my mental list of absolute bare essentials (must be under 5kg fetish).
My stuff is on the kitchen island and on dog crates. I don't like packing ot ahead of time because then I start wondering "did I pack this or not?".

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Backpacks are a very personal choice.

The size will be dictated by:

1. Your body size. Larger people = larger clothes = more pack space required.
  2. The time of year you are travelling (hot/cold) and hence the need for warmer/bulkier clothes.
  3. If you walk hot or cold. In April/May I just walk in a shirt, but many others have three layers on.
  4. If you sleep hot/cold. Many will make do with a liner, whilst others will want a sleeping bag.
I use a 34 L pack and it fits all my gear easily. But I only carry a liner. (I'm 175 cm and 90 kg)
My wife is 155 cm and 50 kg and can get away with a 24 L pack! (though some of her heavier gear is in my pack ;)

You will find ultra lite packs, lightweight packs, and others.... IMHO the actual pack weight (unloaded) is important. A lighter pack makes more sense, but don't compromise on comfort. You'll be carrying it a long way and an extra 300-400 gms to get more comfort is worth it in my mind.

Above all make the sure the pack is comfortable to wear. Load it up in the store with suitable weight. (they have weights in the store) or as I did, I took all my gear in a bin liner and stuffed it in the pack to make sure it would fit.

And get the pack professionally fitted. Get the salesperson to show you how to wear it and adjust it. Modern packs are quite 'technical'. You don't just throw it on. There is a sequence to adjusting all the straps to get the right fit.

Other than that, it's down to personal choice. I selected a bag a little heavier than I wanted, because it was so comfortable to wear.

Good hunting. Your pack is out there waiting for you :)

PS. Not sure which brand of packs you are looking at, but Osprey seem to be one of the most popular. Might be a reason for that?

If you have the budget, it might be fun to do some shopping in Paris for clothes. I like to bring a merino dress, for evenings, sleeping or even walking in sometimes. Its lightweight and comfortable, and can be dressed up with a scarf or jewelry.

As to the backpack, keep searching everyone is different, but I like deuter women's ones. Though if you haven't been fitted at an rei or similar store I would recommended that, I learned from that quite a bit.

I don't understand why the industry puts these itty bitty pockets in women's clothes, or even FAKE pockets! There is no solution other than buying men's pants that have real pockets and will cover your assets.
Hola @Coleen Clark , finally a woman who knows when someone is trying to "rip her off". Your suggestion about trying the male equivalent is spot on - provided the female hips are not overly wide, most "M" or "SM" shirts and pants will fit the female form. Unfortunately the male colour palette is a bit plain. Cheers:)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Backpacks are a very personal choice.

The size will be dictated by:

1. Your body size. Larger people = larger clothes = more pack space required.
  2. The time of year you are travelling (hot/cold) and hence the need for warmer/bulkier clothes.
  3. If you walk hot or cold. In April/May I just walk in a shirt, but many others have three layers on.
  4. If you sleep hot/cold. Many will make do with a liner, whilst others will want a sleeping bag.
I use a 34 L pack and it fits all my gear easily. But I only carry a liner. (I'm 175 cm and 90 kg)
My wife is 155 cm and 50 kg and can get away with a 24 L pack! (though some of her heavier gear is in my pack ;)

You will find ultra lite packs, lightweight packs, and others.... IMHO the actual pack weight (unloaded) is important. A lighter pack makes more sense, but don't compromise on comfort. You'll be carrying it a long way and an extra 300-400 gms to get more comfort is worth it in my mind.

Above all make the sure the pack is comfortable to wear. Load it up in the store with suitable weight. (they have weights in the store) or as I did, I took all my gear in a bin liner and stuffed it in the pack to make sure it would fit.

And get the pack professionally fitted. Get the salesperson to show you how to wear it and adjust it. Modern packs are quite 'technical'. You don't just throw it on. There is a sequence to adjusting all the straps to get the right fit.

Other than that, it's down to personal choice. I selected a bag a little heavier than I wanted, because it was so comfortable to wear.

Good hunting. Your pack is out there waiting for you :)

PS. Not sure which brand of packs you are looking at, but Osprey seem to be one of the most popular. Might be a reason for that?
Thanks Robo. I have been to Katmandu, Trek and Travel, Paddy Pallin and the sales staff have spent many hours on trying to fit me. Apparently I have an unusual shape shoulders and the straps rub on my neck. I bought a Osprey Kyte 66 and cannot wear it. I spent all day in the City yesterday and found the mens Osprey Aether 60 S Mens which was not too bad and had the room and features I want and the Kestral 38L pack which is also comfortable but too small :(
Trek and Travel have the AARN Peak Aspiration pack which is comfortable but needs the balance packs on the front. I am so aware that I need to train and wear the pack in but can't find the "right" one.

I spent all day in the City yesterday and found the mens Osprey Aether 60 S Mens which was not too bad and had the room and features I want and the Kestral 38L pack which is also comfortable but too small :(
Why are you trying packs in the 60l. range? 38 will be perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Robo. I have been to Katmandu, Trek and Travel, Paddy Pallin and the sales staff have spent many hours on trying to fit me. Apparently I have an unusual shape shoulders and the straps rub on my neck. I bought a Osprey Kyte 66 and cannot wear it. I spent all day in the City yesterday and found the mens Osprey Aether 60 S Mens which was not too bad and had the room and features I want and the Kestral 38L pack which is also comfortable but too small :(
Trek and Travel have the AARN Peak Aspiration pack which is comfortable but needs the balance packs on the front. I am so aware that I need to train and wear the pack in but can't find the "right" one.

As mentioned above. 60 L is way too big. I think most members would agree, that 35-45 L is probably an ideal size. Any larger and you will be tempted to fill it :)

Try a few of the smaller Ospreys. Don't worry too much about 'features'. Basically it needs to fit your gear, and be comfortable. Give up 'features' for comfort.

Remember that all of the pack weight should be on your hips when adjusted well. There is really no weight at all on the shoulders. The shoulder straps merely stop the pack falling off your back!

I'm just looking at the various Ospreys. (there are other brands of course) These are just my 'opinions'. We all have different views. But they might help. And maybe some 'direction' as to what to try might help you?

The Kyte 66 is a bit big and starting to get quite heavy at 1.77 kg.
The Aether again too big and too heavy. 2 kg.
Kestrel 38. A good size and weight. 1.4 kg.

I would also look at........

Kyte 36 1.45 kg.
Sirrus 36. 1.4 kg
Stratos 34. 1.4 kg (my pack)
Talon 33. 0.9 kg. Seems very popular with members
Talon 44. 1.1 kg

Many of the packs have a Ladies version. I think the main difference is the length of the back panel. But many are unisex.

The pack size that most people seem to use, being around the 35-45 L size is really classed as a Day Pack. A lot of staff in stores think when you tell them you are walking 800 kms that you need a big pack. They don't appreciate that it's really just a series of day walks...

Possibly, you found some of the pack straps uncomfortable due to their size and height on your back. maybe...

You might find the smaller packs fit you better? 40 L is ample ;) It will fit a sleeping bag as well as all your gear. Just take all your gear into the store to double check, once you find a pack you like. If your gear won't fit into 40L, you probably have too much gear ;)

Be aware that the lighter packs (below 1 kg) generally give up that weight by using smaller/thinner hip and shoulder straps. And also less back padding/support. Lots of people like them though. Personally, I like the extra padding.

Don't lose heart. Your pack is out there somewhere!

Afternote. You will get loads of advice from members here. And that advice will vary. Often wildly. Because it is based on our personal experiences and preferences. All you can do is process the advice, work out what sounds best or fits your circumstances and make your own choices ;)

Last edited:

€149,-
Yes @Robo I'm having the same stress - only over my phone, which I'll have to replace before leaving in three weeks. Too many choices, too many decisions.

LOL. Me too. Though next year I want to take a very compact camera to make another 'mini movie'. (not use my phone camera) Sadly no one makes the Camera I would like......yet.... Still hoping one will be released this year.....fingers crossed.

If you have the budget, it might be fun to do some shopping in Paris for clothes. I like to bring a merino dress, for evenings, sleeping or even walking in sometimes. Its lightweight and comfortable, and can be dressed up with a scarf or jewelry.

As to the backpack, keep searching everyone is different, but I like deuter women's ones. Though if you haven't been fitted at an rei or similar store I would recommended that, I learned from that quite a bit.
Where did you find the merino dress?

I start in SJPP on the 10th. As I will be very, very slow, you will probably pass me and I hope to meet you as I have greatly benefitted from this forum!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Where did you find the merino dress?
I bought mine from icebreaker, from either Sierra trading post or 6pm, I think.

Thanks everyone. Really appreicate everyone's imput. Definitely made me re-think the pack size.

I way overspent in my effort to go Superlight, but it helped ease my anxiety knowing I got the best gear that I could!

Thanks everyone. Really appreicate everyone's imput. Definitely made me re-think the pack size.

I put up on a Poll so we can see what size packs others carry.
Pack Size Poll

There was a book written about the 'Wisdom of Crowds'. i.e. the 'group' answer is likely to be a better answer than an individual :)

I also found an old Poll about pack Brand. It seems that Osprey is indeed the most popular. Or was, at the time of the Poll.

Pack Brand Poll

Last edited:
Hi Kanga - what date are you leaving and where and when are you starting from?

I bought a pair of mens pants today and they are by far the most comfortable that I have tried on. Womens hiking pants are pretty carp now.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Africa just to add to your confusion and expand the choices - my experience with packs is that small size does not equal comfort. My Aarn pack is 50 litres plus, but so comfortable I forget I'm wearing it.

@Hutton24 walking the Via de la Plata and Sanabrés, from Salamanca about 22 April. Leaving Sydney straight after Easter.

THANK YOU! I thought it was just me.
I'm going on my second Camino- but third long-distance hike- this summer. I'm taking my brother who has never long-distance hiked and my husband who has never done the Camino. I find it so easy to get them "geared-up". Women's gear is ridiculously priced and relatively useless unless you you really know what to look for. And by that, I mean, you really have experience in what works for YOU. My boots needed replacing. I think my Asolo boots have met their match in a new pair of Oboz. But I'm still breaking them in so we'll see. I love that REI in the States allows me to return my boots for a complete refund for up to a year after I buy them... no questions asked!

But I'm really struggling to find a mate to my old hiking shirt that bit the dust. I want quick drying, light weight, decent and usable pockets, and I wouldn't mind a collar that flips up to cover my neck from the sun. Oh yeah- and sleeves that roll up and actually stay up!

I've also lost 30 pounds (about 14 kg) since my first Camino 4 years ago. So I need to figure out decent hiking pants. I don't need tons of pockets, just deep enough ones with at least one that zips. And i prefer convertibles that zip off even though they weigh a bit more than roll-up pants. UGH...I no longer enjoy the hunt like I did the first time I did the Camino. I know that higher cost isn't necessary for most things (My footwear being an exception!). I just haven't found the combination of price and functionality that I want.

I'm sure we'll all survive the "ordeal" though! Enjoy the process!

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.