• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buses on the Camino

Gabby233

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances May 2017
Hello all! I will be starting my first Camino in May 2017 and will not have time to complete the entire adventure. If I start at SJPDP and walk as far as I can manage, how easy will it be to get a bus back to an airport? Also any suggestions on which airport to head to? It seems like quite the headache to go back to Paris where I am flying into. I appreciate all your help!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Getting back to Paris is a pain. It would have been much easier to leavefrom Madrid.

Lots of buses from largish towns/cities to Madrid from where you can fly to Paris. Also flights to Paris via Santiago or A Coruna, Bilbao, etc.

How many days do you have to walk? That will give you an idea of where you might end.

You can get a taxi from any small village with a bar to a larger town with a bus station to take you to a city with an airport. Connection tomes may not be optimal, but it's easy to do.

Consider a bus from where you get to, back to Madrid and fly out of Madrid. We flew into Paris last year, but left from Madrid. Check The ALSA site to confirm which towns/cities you can catch the bus from. We enjoyed the bus trip to Madrid as we got to see more of the Spanish countryside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have 3 weeks off but that includes my travel to and from Minnesota. I figure that I safely have 15 days to walk.
So you'll basically make it to Burgos. Plan for returning to madrid from there. Bus or train.

If you get into Burgos with still a few days to walk, do so, and then take a bus back to Burgos to catch your bus or train back to Madrid.

If ypu get to Burgos and still have many days to walk, consider getting back to Madrid from Sahagun.

You will get an idea of where you will be on which date as you start walking. In the mean time, the Brierly stages can gove you an idea, as does Eroski: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/frances/

And yes, the Frances does start in SJPP if yo want to walk every step of the Frances Spain has to offer, if you want the views of the Pyrenees, if you want to see what you are made of as you walk up, up and up. I would not miss it for the world.

Hello all! I will be starting my first Camino in May 2017 and will not have time to complete the entire adventure. If I start at SJPDP and walk as far as I can manage, how easy will it be to get a bus back to an airport? Also any suggestions on which airport to head to? It seems like quite the headache to go back to Paris where I am flying into. I appreciate all your help!

There is bus service to towns and most villages on the camino. Typically, you'll travel to a major hub such as Burgos or Logrono, then onward to a destination such as Madrid, or the Irun/Hendaye border crossing where you can catch a train to Paris.

Aena manages all of Spain's airports. You can find destinations and service providers from airports along the route. Be advised that most of the airports have only limited flight service and that typically goes to Madrid.
http://www.aena.es/es/pasajeros/pasajeros.html

• It's an easy and comfortable bus ride from Burgos to the Madrid airport on the ALSA Bus Line. The Burgos bus station is about a block from the main entrance to the Cathedral. I think it takes a little bit longer than by train but the location of the Burgos bus station and arrival inside the Madrid airport make it worth it. It costs about 20 Euros, I think. Just a general note, I had trouble viewing bus schedules on my iPad, they weren't Apple friendly. The same websites worked great on a windows PC, when I could find one.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As Anemone says, I think Burgos is a reasonable target - I'm planning a similar length of time on the trail, and have planned thirteen days into Burgos, and then a couple of rest days, although I may also just do a few shorter days and enjoy the Apres Camino a little more. I have previously found Spanish buses to be excellent, although as mentioned their websites were a little frustrating when using mobile devices. The best thing I found is how affordable all public transport in Spain was, with trains very similar in cost to buses, and the train to Madrid from Leon was very quick and comfortable.

We flew in and out of Paris. We walked as far as Leon and caught a train back to Paris ( took about 18 hours). I had already booked the train ticket before we started the walk. Next time I will fly in and out of Madrid.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back