• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Route Napoleon early April

Johanna N

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2017
Can someone tell me how long approx. It takes to walk from St Jean to Orisson? I am flying in mid day in early April and hoping to get to SJ and start walking that same day..too amitious? Also a bit worried about the weather as the route only opens after March. Thinking of booking Orisson before had in out. Thought? Thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Johanna, you have to visit the pilgrimsoffice in SJPdP.
They will give you info about the weather and witch route to take.
The walk up to the alberque Orisson is about 8km.
I walked the distance in about 2 hours.

Wish you a wonderful time and a Buen Camino,Peter.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Can someone tell me how long approx. It takes to walk from St Jean to Orisson? I am flying in mid day in early April and hoping to get to SJ and start walking that same day..too amitious? Also a bit worried about the weather as the route only opens after March. Thinking of booking Orisson before had in out. Thought? Thanks!
Depends on fitness level!! some parts quite steep but it is mostly road work

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Keep in mind that the Napoleon route may or may not be open in early April as it is weather dependent. It was closed on April 8th when we left St. Jean in 2016 and was not open until mid April due to heavy snow. Officially it is closed until April 1 and then is weather dependent after that. Don't get fixated on this, it is only one day out of many interesting days you will walk. Do not ignore the signs indicating it is closed as some do. The walk via the Valcarlos route was interesting and even on it we experienced heavy snow the last 2 hours into Roncesvalles, so no cake walk.

Yup, a 1.5 to 2 hour very steep climb on mostly road. Beautiful walk, but I think the steepest stretch on the whole camino. I did what you are proposing. Maybe it was the jet lag that made is seem so steep. We got to St Jean after 2 pm, and just headed up the hill. No problem. You MUST book Orisson ahead of time though. Even if the Napolean is closed, you can still stay at Orrison, and they will bus you around to the Valcarlos route.....at least that was what they said they would do last year when I stayed on April 14th. As it turned out, the Napolean opened for a few days.

I'm setting out from SJPdP on April 13. Any indication of what the snowfall has been like or will be? I left April 3rd in 2015 and had to take the Valcarlos route (which was still wonderful) but hope to be able to do the Napoleon route this time. I thought we might be starting to see what the possibility will be at this point

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Weather forecast for the Puerto de Ibeñata looks cold and wet on Saturday, but otherwise good for the next week. No snow forecast - but as you know things can change quickly in the mountains.

You'll have to be patient a bit longer.

Can you cycle Napoleon route on the first day?
I will be cycling Camino in September 2017.
I will have a mountain bike, and I do a lot of off-road cycling in forest tracks, up the hills etc. I don't mind pushing bike up, if that what it takes for an adventure.

From you experience, can it be done on bicycle? (even if at stages stepping off an pushing bike along).

Dreaming till September,
Sol.

I will have a mountain bike, and I do a lot of off-road cycling in forest tracks, up the hills etc. I don't mind pushing bike up, if that what it takes for an adventure.

From you experience, can it be done on bicycle? (even if at stages stepping off an pushing bike along).

Dreaming till September,
Sol.
Yes many do a variation staying on the road. It has a very steep grade in parts that you may end up pushing your bike up, as I saw many do. The trail at the top I saw no bikes, it would be a lot of work with pan yards & dangerous going down the other side with uneven weight.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Dreaming till September,
Sol.

While a high percentage of the Camino is mountain bike friendly, the first couple of days have some stretches where you will be pushing your bike, more so if the weather turns wet.

Some of the decents would be pretty technical as well, with all the loose scree and rock outcroppings.

Keep in mind many parts of the Camino are heavy clay which turns into complete tire sucking gumbo when wet.

Also you will win friends among the walkers if you have a bell and use it when approaching walkers from behind. Bells seem largely non existant among many riders and I have almost been flattened a few times I stepped in front of a bike that was bearing down on me without knowing it was almost on top of me.

On wet days you can ride the paved roads which may be better than pushing your bike most of the day.

While a high percentage of the Camino is mountain bike friendly, the first couple of days have some stretches where you will be pushing your bike, more so if the weather turns wet.

Some of the decents would be pretty technical as well, with all the loose scree and rock outcroppings.

Keep in mind many parts of the Camino are heavy clay which turns into complete tire sucking gumbo when wet.

Also you will win friends among the walkers if you have a bell and use it when approaching walkers from behind. Bells seem largely non existant among many riders and I have almost been flattened a few times I stepped in front of a bike that was bearing down on me without knowing it was almost on top of me.

On wet days you can ride the paved roads which may be better than pushing your bike most of the day.

Thanks Zrexer for your advice. I have already bought bike bell and promise to be vocal let know that I'm coming. I also intend to say thanks to people who let me pass. and of course to step of the bike and walk with others to have a chat etc.

I didn't know about clay - thanks for mentioning. I will ask rental company for full mountain bike tyres. I like off-road, therefore technical downhill is what I'm looking forward to on the Napoleon Route.

MTtoCamino - thanks for mentioning about the weight of panniers for downhill section. I read about courier, who transport bags from STPDP to Roncesvalles for first day. If the weather is right on the day, I would love to start Camino with a real adventure of the mountain!

Thanks to all....
Dreaming away,
Sol.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back