• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Have a look at this Camino Primitivo Guide made by one of our members.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternative accommodation

Shauna

Time of past OR future Camino
we are planning our camino for June and just wondered if there was accommodation along the way such as bed and breakfast or pension, rather than albergue? As we have less time this year we will be walking further so I would like to book some rooms along the way.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Shauna. There are plenty of accommodation options. It sounds like you walked the Camino before, staying in Albergues? So you will know that booking too far ahead imposes a few restrictions and is rater inflexible.

There are websites that will help with booking.
booking.com
http://www.toprural.com/
http://www.gronze.com/camino-frances

And a very useful Guidebook called Miam Miam Dodo. It lists a lot of accommodation options. You could scan this and keep it on your phone. It's in French but easy to follow.

I used booking.com a few times as well.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I don't believe there's a Miam Miam Dodo for the Primitivo. Gronze will give you options.

From memory there are pensiones in Esclampero, Grado, Salas, Tineo, Campielo, Berducedo, Grandas de Salime, A Fonsagrada, O Cadavo, Lugo, and then on the Frances,

I don't believe there's a Miam Miam Dodo for the Primitivo. Gronze will give you options.

From memory there are pensiones in Esclampero, Grado, Salas, Tineo, Campielo, Berducedo, Grandas de Salime, A Fonsagrada, O Cadavo, Lugo, and then on the Frances,

Ah. You're right!

There's plenty of private accommodation on the Camino Primitivo. We walked last September/October and there was no need to pre-book.
Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Shauna!
There are B&Bs on virtually all caminos.
I've reached that certain age where an 'en suite' is very useful a couple of times a night, and I tend to use inexpensive B&Bs. Cost between 18 Euros and 30 Euros, so much cheaper than the UK.
Having said that, I do miss the 'camino family' of other pilgrims: there are some pilgrims who use B&Bs but visit local albergues [hostels] for evening company.
Don't pre-book too far in advance: admittedly I walked the less busy caminos, but I never booked in advance. Booking in advance means you've simply GOT to get there by evening - and such a requirement doesn't really suit my mode of walking at leisure!
Good luck, and .... buen camino!

The Gronze 'Primitivo' guide gives a list of all types of accommodation and also indicates which are on 'Booking'. In June it is probably worth booking the places where accommodation is scarce, even if you want the freedom where there is plenty of choice. We carried a list of phone numbers to call a day or so ahead which worked fine in May of 2012, but would maybe feel a greater need to book now that the Camino Primitivo is more popular.

The handy Gronze.com list in Spanish mentioned by Tia Valeria offers both pilgrim albergues and regular tourist accommodation. Cited by location the albergues are printed first in one ink and the tourist accommodation below in another. Tap each citation for further info such as address/web/email/cost etc. Booking.com links are also provided.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Pre-book all you want: on the Primitivo it's not as if you will spontaneously,decide to walk to,the next village, since said village may be 10 or 15 km later. O Cavado and Berducedo are two places where albergues fill up and even those who would prefer to stay in an albergue end up,having to use the few beds in pensiones.

You have a great memory! Wish mine was as good!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Pre-book all you want: on the Primitivo it's not as if you will spontaneously,decide to walk to,the next village, since said village may be 10 or 15 km later. O Cavado and Berducedo are two places where albergues fill up and even those who would prefer to stay in an albergue end up,having to use the few beds in pensiones.
We got the last two beds in mid May at the albergue in Berducedo! It was the worst one on the whole Primitivo that we stayed in, but all the privates and pensions were filled up! We unaffectionately called it "the dump" because it was dirty, had bunks packed in like sardines with almost no room for backpacks and cold showers. Yet I can laugh as it brings back Camino memories for me...and all of mine are good!

We got the last two beds in mid May at the albergue in Berducedo! It was the worst one on the whole Primitivo that we stayed in, but all the privates and pensions were filled up! We unaffectionately called it "the dump" because it was dirty, had bunks packed in like sardines with almost no room for backpacks and cold showers. Yet I can laugh as it brings back Camino memories for me...and all of mine are good!
I had one of my best ever Camino memories in that muni. Granted, not super clean, but the company was excellent.

Berducedo should have at least one more private albergue option this year, let's see. I agree, though, that booking in advance, if at all, is needed only in Berducedo.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I stayed in Albergue Casa Antigua and went for 7pm dinner at the new AlberguePrimitivo,very friendly on our one rainy evening last October.

Heading out on the Primitivo from Oviedo at the start of May.

The wife won't entertain the idea of an albergue (she's a bit of a diva) and to be honest I don't like the idea of being told what time to go to bed.

So we're doing pensions/hotels all the way. Booked about half of them including Berducedo.

When we did the Portuguese coastal route in 2013 we didn't book anything in advance whatsoever but the Primitivo seems to be getting more popular so we're being a bit more cautious this time around.

Hi. Just to add for a few more places...: in Ferreira (26km from Lugo) you've also got a couple of places with private accomodation: Casa da Ponte (rural house) and Albergue A Nave. About 8km further ahead there is another casa rural: Casa Camino.

In Lugo a new hostel has opened this year, just next to the muni: Shiku Hostel (www.shikuhostel.com). In Cadavo there is a very nice new albergue also recently opened, with a couple of private rooms (really nice ones) at a very good price: www.albergueportasanta.com. Also in Cadavo there is the pension Casa Eligio, and a new one will be opening probably in Summer this year just on the first floor above Bar A Marronda. Also in Cadavo there is Hotel La Moneda working since many years ago. In Castroverde I just know Pensión Cortés.

Last edited:
we are planning our camino for June and just wondered if there was accommodation along the way such as bed and breakfast or pension, rather than albergue? As we have less time this year we will be walking further so I would like to book some rooms along the way.
Yes Hotel Hostal pension Casa Rural Tent and church porch in emergency

Berducedo should have at least one more private albergue option this year, let's see. I agree, though, that booking in advance, if at all, is needed only in Berducedo.
Hi Laurie,

Not long now before I head on Camino. How far in advance do you recommend booking accommodation in Berducedo?

Thanks in advance,

Eilish

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Laurie,

Not long now before I head on Camino. How far in advance do you recommend booking accommodation in Berducedo?

Thanks in advance,

Eilish

Hi, Eilish,
When I walked last June (late in the month), one member of our group called the night before and got 14 or 16 beds, so I can't imagine you have to do it much in advance. And especially if there is another albergue opening this year.

Buen camino, when are you walking? Laurie

Hi, Eilish,
When I walked last June (late in the month), one member of our group called the night before and got 14 or 16 beds, so I can't imagine you have to do it much in advance. And especially if there is another albergue opening this year.

Buen camino, when are you walking? Laurie

Ah that's great. Thanks Laurie. Heading in about 3 weeks time. :)

Hi Eilish
We go at the star of June so would love to hear how you get on and any tips re accommodation. I am a little worried about the 30km stage to Lugo.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Eilish
We go at the star of June so would love to hear how you get on and any tips re accommodation. I am a little worried about the 30km stage to Lugo.

Hi Shauna,

I decided to split that stage up... First I walk to A Cadavo Baleira to Castroverde (9km) as a quasi rest day. Castroverde to Lugo is then about 22.5km which should be a lot more manageable! Yep will post here on my return if any tips to share not already covered by others

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back