• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I am really doing this AGAIN...

Chacharm

Time of past OR future Camino
Via Frances (2012) Vie Del Norte (2015) Via Frances (2016) Le Puy (2017)
Every year I say that is enough and every March I decide to go again. Why always in the Spring? Onrushing dementia?
Anyway - I am off on Thursday. At least this time I am mixing it up and doing a French route.

So, for Le Puy, I am going to grab a train from the Gare de Lyon and get a direct train with one change for Le Puy en Velay. Is that a good plan? I assume I can take a train to Gare Lyon from CDG?

I am debating whether to take the sweaty rain pants I bought in Spain last year. Thoughts?
Also, Le Puy looks great. Should I take an extra day and check it out?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Welcome to the club and Bon Chemin! And yes, stay an extra day in Le Puy - and don't forget to taste the lentils ;-) SY

You can actually get a train at CDG directly to Lyon Part-Dieu which may save you some time and money.

Another option for getting from Lyon to Le Puy is with blablacar.fr, which is a rideshare. There are usually several rides every day.

Le Puy is a beautiful town and worth a visit.

There is a 7:00 mass which most people attend, then head out en masse together. The adrenalin of starting out all together adds to the excitement - but, don't worry, miraculously the crowd thins out really quickly.

Bon chemin!

Oh yeah... as for the rain pants, they sound horrible. This year I'm trying out a trekking umbrella.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Why always in the Spring?

When April with his showers sweet with fruit
The drought of March has pierced unto the root
And bathed each vein with liquor that has power
To generate therein and sire the flower;
When Zephyr also has, with his sweet breath,
Quickened again, in every holt and heath,
The tender shoots and buds, and the young sun
Into the Ram one half his course has run,
And many little birds make melody
That sleep through all the night with open eye
(So Nature pricks them on to ramp and rage)-
Then do folk long to go on pilgrimage.

Geoffrey Chaucer Prologue to the Canterbury Tales c1387

Lovely! But I live in Austin. It has been Spring here since Summer. ;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You can actually get a train at CDG directly to Lyon Part-Dieu which may save you some time and money.

Another option for getting from Lyon to Le Puy is with blablacar.fr, which is a rideshare. There are usually several rides every day.

Le Puy is a beautiful town and worth a visit.

There is a 7:00 mass which most people attend, then head out en masse together. The adrenalin of starting out all together adds to the excitement - but, don't worry, miraculously the crowd thins out really quickly.

Bon chemin!

Oh yeah... as for the rain pants, they sound horrible. This year I'm trying out a trekking umbrella.
They are horrible! TY for the head's up re: the mass and mass exodus.
Blablacar, eh? Never heard of it! Thanks!

Every year I say that is enough and every March I decide to go again. Why always in the Spring? Onrushing dementia?
Anyway - I am off on Thursday. At least this time I am mixing it up and doing a French route.

So, for Le Puy, I am going to grab a train from the Gare de Lyon and get a direct train with one change for Le Puy en Velay. Is that a good plan? I assume I can take a train to Gare Lyon from CDG?

I am debating whether to take the sweaty rain pants I bought in Spain last year. Thoughts?
I prefer the coach, They were called Air France Cars, but I think they have changed their name, but it is a shuttle bus (No 4) that departs from CDG every half hour or so and drops off at Gare de Lyon at the front door, tickets from the driver, if you have time go to the Garde de Lyon train stations cafe, it's amazing, like having you breakfast in the Palacce of Verseille!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Aéroport-Paris-Roissy-Charles-de-Gaulle CDG ? Le Puy-en-Velay - Monday, 17 April 2017 €91.20
08:31 Aéroport-Paris-Roissy-Charles-de-Gaulle CDG TGV 9810
10:30 Lyon Part-Dieu
Passenger: Charles
Carriage 11, seat 17
12:06 Lyon Part-Dieu TER 89981
13:09 Firminy
Passenger: Charles
13:20 Firminy Coach/Bus 6016
14:35 Le Puy-en-Velay

I prefer the coach, They were called Air France Cars, but I think they have changed their name, but it is a shuttle bus (No 4) that departs from CDG every half hour or so and drops off at Gare de Lyon at the front door, tickets from the driver, if you have time go to the Garde de Lyon train stations cafe, it's amazing, like having you breakfast in the Palacce of Verseille!

The new name of the Paris airport autobus coach is Le Bus Direct; see more here--
http://www.lebusdirect.com/en/

You can buy your ticket on line if you wish.

Bon voyage and Buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Get the train .
We fly 25 hrs to Paris , we get the train to Lyon and then Le Puy.
If flight arrival time stops this in one day , stay in Lyon and get the early train.
Lyon was there capital of France before Paris and believe me it is known for and has the best food in France.
You are going to be in Gods country, you are going to get wet on the Aubrac.
If you thing crossing The Pyrenees on the first day was hard please realise you are at 1200m for a considerable time .
Take your time and enjoy a beautiful walk , beautiful country people who will assist and...... enjoy the peace.

Last edited:
This is good. I'll be heading out to Le Puy also and will have to make a note of visiting the Garde de Lyon train station. Thanks for the heads up.

-I took the train from Paris to Le Puy with one change. It was very simple and cheap! I explain the process on my Le Puy guide website
-Definitely take the extra day to check out Le Puy! I wish I had, it's a beautiful city and I ended up just rushing out without seeing any of the magnificent statues and sights
-Rain pants are 100% worth it, and it's not too hot so sweaty won't be such a huge problem

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This is good. I'll be heading out to Le Puy also and will have to make a note of visiting the Garde de Lyon train station. Thanks for the heads up.
I think there's some confusion here. The city of Paris has 7 train stations. (8 if you include the one at the airport) One of the train stations is called "la Gare de Lyon". It is the station you use to go to Lyon from the city of Paris.

Lyon Part-Dieu is the name of the train station in the city of Lyon. Chuck, you are bypassing the city of Paris and going directly to the city of Lyon from the Charles de Gaulle CDG airport. Therefore, you will not be able to visit la Gare de Lyon.

It only takes two hours from the airport to get to the city of Lyon with the direct train, which is why I said earlier that it would be faster and possibly cheaper to bypass Paris and take the CDG--> Lyon Part-Dieu train. When the OP asked if there was a train (actually, it's the RER/metro) from the airport into Paris to the Gare de Lyon stop, I assumed the OP was not planning on visiting Paris. The only reason I can see to take the train from the Gare de Lyon (rather than the airport) would be if you are planning on sightseeing in Paris prior to heading for Le Puy.

Last edited:
Thank you for being so generous with your time and worthy advice . Yes I am spending a day in Paris and have a room booked there...soooo guess I miss great restaurant...:( ... ah well maybe next time... steep learning curve here..lol... sorry about the confusion

Thank you for being so generous with your time and worthy advice . Yes I am spending a day in Paris and have a room booked there...soooo guess I miss great restaurant...:( ... ah well maybe next time... steep learning curve here..lol... sorry about the confusion
and what does "OP" mean... i've seen it used a bunch of times on this forum... thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
OP = original poster
Yes, Le Puy is worth a day to explore. Yes, do attend the 0700 pilgrim mass. Do not be intimidated by the term "mass exodus" as the number of pilgrims on even popular days is only around 50. And you might think about taking those rain pants with you, as it is cooler than Spain, and the spring will be rainy.

Thanks
OP = original poster
Yes, Le Puy is worth a day to explore. Yes, do attend the 0700 pilgrim mass. Do not be intimidated by the term "mass exodus" as the number of pilgrims on even popular days is only around 50. And you might think about taking those rain pants with you, as it is cooler than Spain, and the spring will be rainy.
Thanks Kits..actually I am spending 2 days in LP. I wasn't the OP on the rain pants question. I use a poncho and knee high gaiters. Used them a lot here in the US on the AT, Palmetto, etc. I also have waterproof boots so with the gaiters, poncho. my pants stay clean, my feet dry. The poncho actually hangs below the gaiters so it allows for good rain flow i.e. over the gaiters then over the boots.. The "mass exodus" does not intimidate me but thanks for getting my 6. I like the idea that I will be starting out some pilgrims. Dunno where I got the idea but I really thought I'd be heading out alone so this is good news. Seems like I may get the best of all worlds on the Le Puy. I sure hope.. getting excited here..I didn't believe in all the gear, logistics, etc that go along with this.. i think my head finally slowed down a little this AM as a lot of the transportation is booked, supplies ordered and arrived, etc. etc.

Thanks

Thanks Kits..actually I am spending 2 days in LP. I wasn't the OP on the rain pants question. I use a poncho and knee high gaiters. Used them a lot here in the US on the AT, Palmetto, etc. I also have waterproof boots so with the gaiters, poncho. my pants stay clean, my feet dry. The poncho actually hangs below the gaiters so it allows for good rain flow i.e. over the gaiters then over the boots.. The "mass exodus" does not intimidate me but thanks for getting my 6. I like the idea that I will be starting out some pilgrims. Dunno where I got the idea but I really thought I'd be heading out alone so this is good news. Seems like I may get the best of all worlds on the Le Puy. I sure hope.. getting excited here..I didn't believe in all the gear, logistics, etc that go along with this.. i think my head finally slowed down a little this AM as a lot of the transportation is booked, supplies ordered and arrived, etc. etc.
I promise to make the mass. I hope to attend a lot of them along the way.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
O.K., now I'm even more confused...
Your ticket to the city of Lyon bypasses Paris. In order to catch your train, you will need to go back to the airport. You may want to check to see if your ticket is changeable. See if you can leave from the Gare de Lyon rather than Paris CDG with a destination of Lyon. PM me ("Start a Conversation") if you need help with this.

Since you will be in Paris, you can visit the restaurant that I think @piggyhinton is talking about. It's called Le Train Bleu and is the restaurant where Mr. Bean eats seafood in the film Mr. Bean's Holiday. Nicest place in Paris I've ever eaten - but then, I always do budget trips, so this was a special treat...

I
O.K., now I'm even more confused...
Your ticket to the city of Lyon bypasses Paris. In order to catch your train, you will need to go back to the airport. You may want to check to see if your ticket is changeable. See if you can leave from the Gare de Lyon rather than Paris CDG with a destination of Lyon. PM me ("Start a Conversation") if you need help with this.

Since you will be in Paris, you can visit the restaurant that I think @piggyhinton is talking about. It's called Le Train Bleu and is the restaurant where Mr. Bean eats seafood in the film Mr. Bean's Holiday. Nicest place in Paris I've ever eaten - but then, I always do budget trips, so this was a special treat...
sent you a conversation.. there is something amok here..I am leaving from CDG..??? check your conversation msg. thanks for the help

Ahhh. I forgot how nice Chaucer sounds! Thank you. Methinks I shall rekindle on Kindle. Hahaha. Thanks Notion900!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
"I am debating whether to take the sweaty rain pants I bought in Spain last year. Thoughts?"

You really aren't seeking opinions on this, are you?

Hey Chuck,
So I'll hone in on the #1 issue that seems most troubling.
Leave the rain pants
you'll be ok with:
poncho
quick-dry walking pants
gaiters (optional) to cover lower leg/boots for extra protection during possible April Showers...

-I took the train from Paris to Le Puy with one change. It was very simple and cheap! I explain the process on my Le Puy guide website
-Definitely take the extra day to check out Le Puy! I wish I had, it's a beautiful city and I ended up just rushing out without seeing any of the magnificent statues and sights
-Rain pants are 100% worth it, and it's not too hot so sweaty won't be such a huge problem
I happened upon your site by chance. Without your help I would have taken a train from Austerlitz - so ty very much :)

Just checked out your site too. Awesome. Are you saying that there is backpack shuttle service along the Le Puy? also..i know they have it along the Frances route.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ahhh. I forgot how nice Chaucer sounds! Thank you. Methinks I shall rekindle on Kindle. Hahaha. Thanks Notion900!
I went to the Pilgrim Albergue (now museum) in Canterbury and the guardian gave me a peregrino discount!

Yes, @Chuck Cunningham, there are transport and also taxi services all along the Le Puy. You should find links to them in the Miam Miam Dodo guide - which I assume you have, or will buy at the Cathedral shop in Le Puy.

There is a welcome in Le Puy by the local pilgrims group, every evening between 5:30 and 7:30pm from April 1st to October 15th. They meet at 2 rue de la Manécanterie. Just turn up.

The mass in the early morning at the Cathedral is a really nice way to start - being blessed by the Bishop (it seems to be everyone, regardless of religion or faith), leaving the Cathedral with others, walking down those ancient stone laneways out of the city. It does feel positively medieval!

Yes, @Chuck Cunningham, there are transport and also taxi services all along the Le Puy. You should find links to them in the Miam Miam Dodo guide - which I assume you have, or will buy at the Cathedral shop in Le Puy.

There is a welcome in Le Puy by the local pilgrims group, every evening between 5:30 and 7:30pm from April 1st to October 15th. They meet at 2 rue de la Manécanterie. Just turn up.

The mass in the early morning at the Cathedral is a really nice way to start - being blessed by the Bishop (it seems to be everyone, regardless of religion or faith), leaving the Cathedral with others, walking down those ancient stone laneways out of the city. It does feel positively medieval!
Thank you for that information Kanga. My friend and I will be heading off next year from Le Puy to SJPP, so all advice is appreciated.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you for that information Kanga. My friend and I will be heading off next year from Le Puy to SJPP, so all advice is appreciated.

I would spend the day i arrive there which is normally after lunch , plus 2 extra evenings.
This is a beautiful town , it leaves STJPdP for dead.

I happened upon your site by chance. Without your help I would have taken a train from Austerlitz - so ty very much :)

That makes me so happy! Glad I could help you find your way there :) Step number one complete!

Just checked out your site too. Awesome. Are you saying that there is backpack shuttle service along the Le Puy? also..i know they have it along the Frances route.

Thanks for checking it out :) There are two baggage/human shuttle services along the route. You can find more information about them on my transportation page.

Be sure to book them the day before, and make sure you know exactly where you'll end up!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

This is great info thanks.

That makes me so happy! Glad I could help you find your way there :) Step number one complete!

Thanks for checking it out :) There are two baggage/human shuttle services along the route. You can find more information about them on my transportation page.

Be sure to book them the day before, and make sure you know exactly where you'll end up!
Thank you Chloe. The transportation page is loaded with great info besides the baggage info there is info on buying local sim cards, etc. Excellent.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.