• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Start in Toulouse or Bordeaux?

Colton Andre

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to walk the Camino for 3-4 weeks during my 2 month stay in Europe this summer, June-August
Headed to Europe this summer for two months and am planning on walking the Camino from either Bordeaux or Toulouse. My girlfriend and I were wondering which is the more scenic route and if there would be any major time differences in the routes. We planned on around 3-4 weeks for this, is that reasonable?
Thanks,
Colton

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Are you planing to walk to Santiago or simply to explore and enjoy some of the routes to Santiago? I ask because Bordeaux or Toulouse to Santiago is a demanding target in 28 days. 30 to 35 days from the French border is a more common pilgrimage.

www.gronze.com may assist in your planning.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Are you planing to walk to Santiago or simply to explore and enjoy some of the routes to Santiago? I ask because Bordeaux or Toulouse to Santiago is a demanding target in 28 days. 30 to 35 days from the French border is a more common pilgrimage.

www.gronze.com may assist in your planning.
We want to do as much as possible within the time we have available for this, but are more so interested in enjoying the exploration of the routes rather than putting ourselves into a very strenuous time frame. We would like to reach Santiago on the trip So starting from Saint Jean Pied de Port would be a better option?

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
@Colton Andre in my haste this evening I forgot to welcome you to the forum, so welcome. And yes, unless you are very fit and very fast over varied and variable terrain then starting a little closer to Santiago may help you to achieve your goals.

The sainted John Brierley, whose guidebook is not the only english language guidebook available (but all others are heresy ;)) suggests 33 days from an obscure town in southern France to Santiago. His itinerary does not include rest-days but does include some curiously short (and long) days. Some research will give you some comfort I suspect. With 28 days of walking and a desire to enjoy I would suggest starting in Pamplona, Logrono or even Burgos. Many members will vigorously disagree with me - one of the pleasures of this place.

Happy planning and buen camino.

@Colton Andre in my haste this evening I forgot to welcome you to the forum, so welcome. And yes, unless you are very fit and very fast over varied and variable terrain then starting a little closer to Santiago may help you to achieve your goals.

The sainted John Brierley, whose guidebook is not the only english language guidebook available (but all others are heresy ;)) suggests 33 days from an obscure town in southern France to Santiago. His itinerary does not include rest-days but does include some curiously short (and long) days. Some research will give you some comfort I suspect. With 28 days of walking and a desire to enjoy I would suggest starting in Pamplona, Logrono or even Burgos. Many members will vigorously disagree with me - one of the pleasures of this place.

Happy planning and buen camino.
Thanks for the warm welcome I will be sure to put my time into research for what seems to fit our needs best and will keep those towns in mind!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
And I agree also, and wave also 'welcome to the forum', if you want to arrive in Santiago you need to start a bit closer to it. Being under constant time pressure is no fun! So don't put yourself under that kind of stress.
How many km/mi can you walk each day without overdoing it? Err on the low side. Multiply this with the walking days you have available and you have the distance from Santiago where your starting point could be.
Buen Camino, SY

Starting out of Toulouse would be nice, but I would then suggest 45 days or so to get from there to Santiago. If you are stuck on 28 days to Santiago, then Pamplona is a better starting point. If you've got two months, then just enjoy the walk.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi,
south of bordeaux is the Aquatine reigon. It has the largest forest in Europe. Sounds good but it was a wilderness before Napoleon tamed it with the forest. The underlying soil is sand and their is a long distance cycle route that sort of follows the coast. It's ok but the path is basically a square concrete pipe that's difficult to stay on if you cycle - go off and you ground into the sand. In addition it's really hot and its just days and days of pine forest. Pretty empty as well. I would personally start from Bayonne. But I would say easily cyclesble from Bordeaux to Santiago in 4 weeks tho - walking would be difficult tho. Enjoy what ever you do and best of luck ,

Alternatively take an early train from Bordeaux to Dax, local bus from there to St. Palais in the Basque country and walk that afternoon to Ostabat. Good accommodation there, walk next day to St. Jean Pied de Port.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back