• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Favorite over the counter pain medication

Time of past OR future Camino
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
Hi all,
I don't often have body aches and pains in my "normal" life, but on the Camino I have had some backaches, especially as I adjust to the first week of walking with my pack. I take ibuprofen, which "seems" to help some. I am wondering what over the counter pain meds you take as your favorite "go to" type or brand. I'm looking for the best relief possible (we all are, right?) so thought I'd ask for some input from seasoned walkers who have struggled with various pains.
Thanks for any suggestions!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ibuprofen! But maybe talk to your health care provider who knows more about your individual body. I have a number of physical issues, and am aware of the risks. I choose to take it, just make an informed decision. If you drink ANY alcohol, do not take acetamenophen(Tylenol in US) the combination will destroy your liver.

First of all - be careful with over the counter meds - also they can have, sometimes very serious, side effects.
Second - backache is most likely a symptom of a badly fitted back pack, or one that is too heavy, treat the problem, not the symptom. Lighten your pack, get the right fitting one and get help adjusting it correctly.

Buen Camino, SY

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have read a lot of posts that vitamin I is readily available in Spain and at higher doses. However, it may have a negative effect on your stomach especially with prolonged use. I prefer to use naproxen at home. It is easier on the stomach.

I can't take any NSAIDs - ibuprofen, Aleve, etc. I managed fine last year without a single pain reliever. I did take a turmeric pill daily, though I don't know if it had any effect.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Actually my favorite was a Pilgrim's meal at a local restaurant with a bottle of local red wine, for medicinal purposes of course! :) Between that and sleeping in late, doing an occasional massage, stretching, and post activity recovery carb/protein drink, life was good!

Seriously, there are lots of things that you can do to help with recovery for day after day exercise. You really should get a good marathon training book and read about the things they do when they train 4 or more times a week for 3 to 4 months. You will be doing long walks for nearly a month, and the tips they use will be important for you to make it all the way through your Camino.

If you focus on how to recover from each day's exercise, take enough rest days (the older you get the more rest days or light exercise days you need each week), do the various tricks, you will do fine. Prior to your start you might want to go to a physical therapist and tell them about your back pain and ask them (1) what can you do to strengthen your back and (2) what can you do at the end of each day to stretch and/or relax your back muscles.

Good luck.

Ibuprofen gel - target it topically to needed areas, keeps it off the stomach. Unfortunately, it's not available OTC in the states. Calmatel is the brand a Spanish pharmacist sold me last time, said was the best.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
325 mg aspirin, and on really sore days a 500 mg aspirin
It may sound kinda yuck, but I chew up the aspirin before swallowing it and chase it with a bunch of water. I think it helps prevent any stomach side effects.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you, everyone, for the great tips and suggestions from your personal experiences. I may be relying on some of them in less than two weeks! ;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My best friend on the Camino is Voltadol Forte Cream. We call it magic goo. First thing in the morning, I slather it on the souls of my feet, on my shins, and on my shoulders where the pack straps say hi. Beware! It is super strong, has both anti-pain and anti-inflammatory properties, and should only be applied every twelve hours. There is also a regular strength available. I also take a 600mg ibuprofen after I have had a decent breakfast to avoid stomach issues. A tube of cream and a box of 40 pills is under 10 euro.

I do not use either of these in the evening as I have other goodies to reward my aching extremities. Vino tinto and massage balms with arnica, ginger, cayenne, etc, which I use copiously after the daily chores have been done.

I have struggled with Plantar Fasciitis and tendonitis on all my Caminos, and this has been a lifesaver. It is also a great ice-breaker when encountering an obviously struggling pilgrim. Some of our best friendships started out by asking "Are you ok? Do you need something for that pain?"
Happy Walking!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Training after a cancer operation in ´09 has done wonders to my carrying a heavy load. (10 -12 Kg)
I train my abdomen and my back in a gym three times a week and walk 3-4 times a week to my job with a 5 kilo load, in all weather all year round. I have a Scheuermann right betw my shoulder blades and this has always given me posture problems and headaches.
To my surprise it wasn´t my back that acted up on my Camino !!

Arthrotec in the morning, wine in the evening.

As long as I keep my dosage of both low enough, and take both with food, my physician approves. (He wants to walk a Camino with his kids as soon as they are old enough to carry their own packs.)

I have read a lot of posts that vitamin I is readily available in Spain and at higher doses. However, it may have a negative effect on your stomach especially with prolonged use. I prefer to use naproxen at home. It is easier on the stomach.
Ibuprofen is a big deal and seems to be the drug of choice on the AT. I've seen some hikers eat it like candy. On the trail they refer to it as Vitamin I (makes me cringe, dunno why) Like you though I prefer naproxen that I get from the VA. Aleve is basically naproxen.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ibuleve gel from Spain, but only if needed; bananas as @SYates said and we carry rehydration salts (not sports type) as the lack of salts and sugar can lead to muscle aches and cramp. Diarolyte from the UK or Casen SuerOral from Spain. The former are good for individuals as they each make up to 200ml, the latter are good for a group as a pack makes 1 litre.
If you must take pills then take them with food to lessen possibility of stomach problems. Ibuprofen etc are worse than aspirin I have heard.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My best friend on the Camino is Voltadol Forte Cream. We call it magic goo. First thing in the morning, I slather it on the souls of my feet, on my shins, and on my shoulders where the pack straps say hi. Beware! It is super strong, has both anti-pain and anti-inflammatory properties, and should only be applied every twelve hours. There is also a regular strength available. I also take a 600mg ibuprofen after I have had a decent breakfast to avoid stomach issues. A tube of cream and a box of 40 pills is under 10 euro.

I do not use either of these in the evening as I have other goodies to reward my aching extremities. Vino tinto and massage balms with arnica, ginger, cayenne, etc, which I use copiously after the daily chores have been done.

I have struggled with Plantar Fasciitis and tendonitis on all my Caminos, and this has been a lifesaver. It is also a great ice-breaker when encountering an obviously struggling pilgrim. Some of our best friendships started out by asking "Are you ok? Do you need something for that pain?"
Happy Walking!
Thank you for responding with suggestions that worked for you. Is your "magic goo" the same as Voltran? Someone gave me a small tube last year, but I never used it yet.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you for responding with suggestions that worked for you. Is your "magic goo" the same as Voltran? Someone gave me a small tube last year, but I never used it yet.
My US doctor prescribed Volteran to me in the weeks leading up to our first Camino. It is the Americanized version of Voltadol, but it only has anti-inflammatory (or only the anti-pain) properties but not both. The regular strength of Voltadol is twice better than Volteran, and the Voltadol Forte is the "strong" or "extra-strenth" version, so it's even better.

My US doctor prescribed Volteran to me in the weeks leading up to our first Camino. It is the Americanized version of Voltadol, but it only has anti-inflammatory (or only the anti-pain) properties but not both. The regular strength of Voltadol is twice better than Volteran, and the Voltadol Forte is the "strong" or "extra-strenth" version, so it's even better.
So can I get Voltadol Forte in a Spanish pharmacy over the counter?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi all,
I don't often have body aches and pains in my "normal" life, but on the Camino I have had some backaches, especially as I adjust to the first week of walking with my pack. I take ibuprofen, which "seems" to help some. I am wondering what over the counter pain meds you take as your favorite "go to" type or brand. I'm looking for the best relief possible (we all are, right?) so thought I'd ask for some input from seasoned walkers who have struggled with various pains.

DH has a bad back since his 20s and has just put up with back pain while walking with a pack for 20 years plus. Finally his old pack gave up and he bought a new backpack - no back pain!

Honestly check your back pack has a huge hip belt that carries all the load and a chest strap that allows you to stand up straight without your shoulder straps falling off and pull the tiny straps on top of the shoulder straps in tight so the backpack is close to your back.

He is truely amazed that it was the backpack that was causing him pain.

A physio should be able to work out the cause of the pain maybe. And maybe tell you the best solution exercise wise or physically wise for you.
Voltarin is good for aching muscles in general.

Last edited:
DH has a bad back since his 20s and has just put up with back pain while walking with a pack for 20 years plus. Finally his old pack gave up and he bought a new backpack - no back pain!

Honestly check your back pack has a huge hip belt that carries all the load and a chest strap that allows you to stand up straight without your shoulder straps falling off and pull the tiny straps on top of the shoulder straps in tight so the backpack is close to your back.

He is truely amazed that it was the backpack that was causing him pain.

A physio should be able to work out the cause of the pain maybe. And maybe tell you the best solution exercise wise or physically wise for you.
Voltarin is good for aching muscles in general.
Thank you for your concern. I do have a new 36 liter Osprey women's Sirrus, which has all the nice features. Last year I borrowed a mens 25 liter Osprey. The mid back pain went away after a few days and daily ibuprofen. I do like all these great suggestions from everyone...If I buy one of each, I'm sure my 13 pound pack will weigh 20 pounds! ;)

Excedrin works best for me, especially after red wine. Man but I get a headache after the third battle, bittle, oh heck...bottle. I really miss the misspent days of my youth when Red Mountail was a buck a gallon.

Excedrin works best for me, especially after red wine. Man but I get a headache after the third battle, bittle, oh heck...bottle. I really miss the misspent days of my youth when Red Mountail was a buck a gallon.
Well, at least in Spain you can get wine for "a buck a box". :)

Ibuprofen! But maybe talk to your health care provider who knows more about your individual body. I have a number of physical issues, and am aware of the risks. I choose to take it, just make an informed decision. If you drink ANY alcohol, do not take acetamenophen(Tylenol in US) the combination will destroy your liver.
Ibuprofen in particular is harmful for renal function, it's even more so if you are dehydrated, or suffer from asthma, or have hypertension. It's quite silent and catastrophic to kidneys. There is good evidence supporting this. Paracetamol aka Tylenol (acetaminophen) is actually safer and of course only take as prescribed.

Just a thought.. requirement for pain analgesia is less if one gradually builds up strength and fitness prior to commencing their Camino. Less injuries are likely to occur when one is fitter. Get your pack properly fitted to suit your size and torso length, pack sensibly and lightly, which means take less than 10% of your body weight. For example, if you weigh 60kgs, then the recommendation is that you only carry 6kgs. Accidents happen and it can be quite random, however injuries are usually less serious if you are fitter and have less weight on your back.

€83,-
It's a liquor flavored with sloes berries. Tastes a bit like cough mixture; I'd probably hate it at home. On the Camino, particularly at the end of a long day, it's nectar.
And gives rise to the famous Spanish cry ¿No Pacharan?

WOW you go high end on the wine list don't you? ;)

In the larger centers with supermarkets you can buy wine for less than a Euro a bottle and even the cheaper wine is almost always very good.
If the albergue I am staying at sells wine I will usually support them as I do with meals if this is an option with them.

Ibuprofen in particular is harmful for renal function, it's even more so if you are dehydrated, or suffer from asthma, or have hypertension. It's quite silent and catastrophic to kidneys. There is good evidence supporting this. Paracetamol aka Tylenol (acetaminophen) is actually safer and of course only take as prescribed.
I have found this out the hard way. Fortunately, no real damage to my kidneys, but I no longer take Ibuprofen or any other NSAIDs.
With acetaminophen don't forget to watch alcohol intake, as the two in high enough combination can cause liver damage.

Ibuprofen gel - target it topically to needed areas, keeps it off the stomach. Unfortunately, it's not available OTC in the states. Calmatel is the brand a Spanish pharmacist sold me last time, said was the best.
Diclofenica gel is another. OTC at pharmacia's in Spain. Hope it's available in Portugal.

I have found this out the hard way. Fortunately, no real damage to my kidneys, but I no longer take Ibuprofen or any other NSAIDs.
With acetaminophen don't forget to watch alcohol intake, as the two in high enough combination can cause liver damage.
You guys are kinda scarin' me!

Please don't be scared, be forewarned. While some folks say that if you are fit enough beforehand then you won't need any pain relief, IMHO that is a tad unrealistic. We train plenty before we go but the only way to be fit enough to do the Camino without any expectations of aches and pains is to walk 15+ miles per day with your loaded pack for 30+ days straight. Things are going to hurt until you gain your rhythm, and aches are going to spring up even after you have hit your stride. I prefer the cream as it is applied directly to the sore spots and it does not have to travel internally.

I do take the ibuprofen daily but only after I have eaten a decent breakfast to coat my stomach. For me. this is a pre-emptive strike as the inflammation from my Plantar Fasciitis does not take a day off. Please know that I do not pop the pills like candy, and I do not use the cream more than recommended. You can adjust your meds as your individual needs change. You can take half a tablet if you only feel a bit achy, or skip it altogether as you get stronger. Some folks we met would take them at night so that the anti-inflammatory properties would work their wonders and they would be ready to go again in the morning. Me, I prefer that they work while I am awake, walking, and in pain....

As far as side effects go, I am more concerned with Tylenol's reaction with alcohol. I am pretty sure that my daily Camino wine/beer intake exceeds the recommended level on that pesky piece of paper that is packed with the Tylenol pills. I feel that if I manage my pain in a conservative/pro-active/ informed manner then I have the best chance of overcoming the numerous physical challenges that I know I will face. If I do not follow my proven regiment, then I will start to limp, which throws off my stride, and even more aches appear. Why would I impose that on myself when I am already asking my body to forgive this crazy whim to walk this Way?

Buen (pain-free) Camino!!!

paracetomol can cause liver damage in high doses but safe at normal doses , ibuprofen and naproxen are both NSAID's and work well as they are anti inflammatory and a pain relief ( aspirin also works this way as well.) ALL NSAID's must be taken with food to prevent damage to your stomach . At normal doses they are safe. READ the labels and adhere to the total amount recommended per 24 hrs. Not all people who have pain are unfit or carrying a too heavy a back pack. Maybe they too are nurses who have been lifting, pushing etc heavy people everyday for 37 years . It takes a toll on ones body .

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I can't take any NSAIDs - ibuprofen, Aleve, etc. I managed fine last year without a single pain reliever. I did take a turmeric pill daily, though I don't know if it had any effect.
Did you take your turmeric pill in the morning or at night?

Hi all,
I use Ibuprofen for leg pain and swelling. Having broken my left ankle last year the tendons are very tight and swell up and stiffen. The other great piece of advice is to take ephavescant Calcium and Postassium tablets with Vitamin C each evening. Available in Spanish pharmacies. Started taking them 3 days into my 8 day walk last year and instantly felt better. I shall certainly take them again when I walk the meseta for a week starting in May. And of course a bottle of vino tin to with the pilgrims meal each nights takes away any aches and pains! At least in the legs if not in the head!

It's a liquor flavored with sloes berries. Tastes a bit like cough mixture; I'd probably hate it at home. On the Camino, particularly at the end of a long day, it's nectar.
I have one every night with a cup of mint tea. Best "sleeping pill" ever.

General tip : do not mix Ibuprogen or any other painkiller with alcohol! Especially not after a day walking in the heat with possible threat of dehydration.
Also : Ibuprofen in Spain is sold in higher dosages than in other countries.

€83,-
I used to compete, and ibuprofen was what all of our coaches recommended after a hard practice.

Tiger Balm, and other related camphor/menthol gels, are another option. I don't think they actually do anything to address the source of the pain, but they feel good and can distract you from it!

edit: Our coaches all recommended it, but that doesn't mean that I am! Or that I actually took ibuprofen daily. For me muscle soreness is just a side effect of getting in shape. And back soreness could be signs that, as others have mentioned, you need to reexamine how your pack fits, or how much it weighs.

Just a reminder, only because they are 'over the counter' doesn't mean this kind of medications are harmless and without side effects! They are not candies to be swallowed lightly ... Plus pain killers that are taken before/during your walk will mask the pain (alert your body gives that something IS wrong) and so make it more possible that you damage your joints/feet/whatever further - because you just numbed the warning signal your own body gives you.

Worst case I have personally witnessed whilst working in health care - complete kidney failure including weeks of dialysis after one single dose of a NSAID (Diclofenac/Voltaren in that case). Thank ... the person recovered. Be careful with over the counter medicines is what I am saying.

Buen Camino, SY

Advil in the morning, voltaren in the pm, as well as cyclobemzaprine, a muscle relaxant at bed time. I have a picture of thos combo somewhere. My GP laughed when I showed it to him.

€83,-
Thank you Sybille for the extra warning.
I really do not understand the need for self medication without the advice from GP or specialist.
Like you I saw some nasty side effects in my line of work.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...
Hi my name is Leah and I am starting the Camino Frances on April 10 and will be leaving Australia on April 4. I have just cut my hand and needed stiches which will need to come out when I am in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.