Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Current active forest fires along the Primitivo route

alaskadiver

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
May 2017-Camino Primitivo
April 2019-Camino de Invierno
Be aware if you are departing in the next few days that there are currently dozens of active forest fires in Asturias. Several are along the Primitivo route and a news article cited that part of the route had been closed. There's a fire right on the hills of Grandas de Salime, as well as as in Tineo. The smell of smoke is reported along the Hospitales route by a pilgrim who posted on the APOC FB page a short while ago.

I read that many were under control and active measures are being taken to control the remaining ones. But as someone who lives in a state is under forest fire threat every summer, I can tell you these things are unpredictable and devastating. Wish all the residents nearby good wishes and safe travels to the pilgrims already on route.

http://www.elcomercio.es/asturias/

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Oh that's terrible. I hope everyone is safe. I'm meant to be heading there very shortly. Will have to decide whether it's a good idea or not in the next few days.

Be aware if you are departing in the next few days that there are currently dozens of active forest fires in Asturias. Several are along the Primitivo route and a news article cited that part of the route had been closed. There's a fire right on the hills of Grandas de Salime, as well as as in Tineo. The smell of smoke is reported along the Hospitales route by a pilgrim who posted on the APOC FB page a short while ago.

I read that many were under control and active measures are being taken to control the remaining ones. But as someone who lives in a state is under forest fire threat every summer, I can tell you these things are unpredictable and devastating. Wish all the residents nearby good wishes and safe travels to the pilgrims already on route.

http://www.elcomercio.es/asturias/
BTW, what's the APOC Facebook page you refer to?... couldn't find it. Can you add a link? Thanks :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We had the same issue when we walked the CF back in September of 2016. It seemed like all of Galicia was on fire. We discussed our route with the local Guardia Civil before leaving each day, and got up to the minute updates on conditions and detours. They are a great asset along the way. - Steve

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I had not heard about this, thanks for posting it. This is the downside to these rain-free caminos we all love so much. When I was in Galicia a few weeks ago as a tourist, people told me near Ourense that they are also in a drought situation and are worried about the same thing. Portugal, too. Hope people are safe, it seems like there is no threat to humans at this point.

Any forum members on the Primitivo now? Stay safe and let us know how it's going. Buen camino, Laurie

I had not heard about this, thanks for posting it. This is the downside to these rain-free caminos we all love so much. When I was in Galicia a few weeks ago as a tourist, people told me near Ourense that they are also in a drought situation and are worried about the same thing. Portugal, too. Hope people are safe, it seems like there is no threat to humans at this point.

Any forum members on the Primitivo now? Stay safe and let us know how it's going. Buen camino, Laurie

I haven't done a Camino in Spain since 2012 so the threat of forest fires hadn't even occurred to me. Yes I hope all are safe. Not sure if anyone from this forum is on the Camino at the moment but there are a few American pilgrims there. They didn't sound worried for their safety on the FB posts I've read which I guess is a good thing.

I've had a look at my guidebook and if I need to abandon my Camino Primitivo plans it looks like I can get a bus from Oviedo to Luarca on the Camino del Norte and from there I could walk to Miraz or maybe a little further in the time I have available to walk. I can then get a bus to Santiago.... all under the assumption there are no serious fires in that area... That's my Plan B at the moment. Let's hope I don't need a Plan C ;)

I walked from Berducedo to Grandas yesterday and the Camino was closed after La Mesa with people turned back by the fire brigade (one person was allowed through very early and needed a 7km GPS detour) There is a road from Berducedo to the dam which is downhill all the way and a similar distance. I would have posted last night but was in Castro with no WiFi.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The news is reporting that the winds are dying down but the temperature is expected to stay high with no rain in the forecast until Monday. They've called in national assistance with tons of choppers and planes to dump water.
They seem optimistic they can get them under control soon but their resources are taxed to the limit. Grandas is under threat . I saw an interview with a resident who said she was afraid to go to bed last night.
I'll try to read the news periodically today and hopefully we can keep getting updates from pilgrims on the ground.
@Stacey Wittig is supposed to be starting this week I think.

I walked from Berducedo to Grandas yesterday and the Camino was closed after La Mesa with people turned back by the fire brigade (one person was allowed through very early and needed a 7km GPS detour) There is a road from Berducedo to the dam which is downhill all the way and a similar distance. I would have posted last night but was in Castro with no WiFi.

Thanks for the update. I hope everyone keeps safe.

The news is reporting that the winds are dying down but the temperature is expected to stay high with no rain in the forecast until Monday. They've called in national assistance with tons of choppers and planes to dump water.
They seem optimistic they can get them under control soon but their resources are taxed to the limit. Grandas is under threat . I saw an interview with a resident who said she was afraid to go to bed last night.
I'll try to read the news periodically today and hopefully we can keep getting updates from pilgrims on the ground.
Thanks Alaskadiver. My Camino plans feel very unimportant compared with what's happening. I just hope everyone keeps safe through all this.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I leave Thursday for Madrid and was planning to start the Primitivo on Saturday. Any updates on the fire situation would be appreciated. I only have 11 days-8 walking days. Can anyone offer suggestions for alternate routes? Like Irishgurrrl, I don't want to walk the CF, want good views and less road walking. I have done the Salvador but I think I can only stretch that to 6 days and would really like 8 days walking. Can anyone suggest an 8 day walk on the Norte or elsewhere with a start/end point that can be reached by bus/train to and from Madrid. I would feel better having a plan B since I will be traveling for work through Wednesday and have little time to plan.

I leave Thursday for Madrid and was planning to start the Primitivo on Saturday. Any updates on the fire situation would be appreciated. I only have 11 days-8 walking days. Can anyone offer suggestions for alternate routes? Like Irishgurrrl, I don't want to walk the CF, want good views and less road walking. I have done the Salvador but I think I can only stretch that to 6 days and would really like 8 days walking. Can anyone suggest an 8 day walk on the Norte or elsewhere with a start/end point that can be reached by bus/train to and from Madrid. I would feel better having a plan B since I will be traveling for work through Wednesday and have little time to plan.

Hi LauraK,

It's good to have a plan B just in case eh! :) I have the Cicerone guidebook which luckily includes all the northern Caminos and looking at the maps there seems to be a fair bit of road walking on the Norte. (I'm hoping I'm wrong!) I suggest starting a thread (like I have) in the Camino del Norte section of this forum as there will be people there who may better be able to advise you?

Hope you get sorted :)

Hi LauraK,

Just looking at the Camino that goes from Madrid at the moment... Might be worth having a look at? It's nearly all off road. I'm just trying to work out stages etc at the moment and checking what it's like scenery wise.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
They are reporting that the national reserve Fuentes del Narcea is the number one priority since it's the biggest and is decimated large swaths of the forest. Grandas de Salime is turning out to be harder to extinguish then they had thought. The smoke is so dense that the helicopters can't see through it to drop water. The winds have actually been clocked at over 70km all over the region so that's not helping. They are reporting temps in the 20s Celsius.
I wonder if they have smoke jumpers like we do here? I haven't seen them mentioned.

We need more intel from the ground. News sources are reporting the same thing over and over again.

We had the same issue when we walked the CF back in September of 2016. It seemed like all of Galicia was on fire. We discussed our route with the local Guardia Civil before leaving each day, and got up to the minute updates on conditions and detours. They are a great asset along the way. - Steve
I"m sure it will all be sorted out by the time we get there :)

Grandas de Salime is turning out to be harder to extinguish then they had thought. The smoke is so dense that the helicopters can't see through it to drop water
Intersting, considering how easily accessible water is there. Mist be mich worse than shown in video.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
From the photos it looks as though it is Buspol and the forest down to the dam that is burning. That makes sense if the Camino is closed at La Mesa. It is possible to walk the road from Berducedo to Grandas and that sounds as though it is the route that folk have had to take.
The reports say that the concentration is on preventing the fire threatening the Muniellos spreading - the largest oak forest in the world.
Let us just pray that the fires are soon under control and extinguished for the sake of all those living there.

From the photos it looks as though it is Buspol and the forest down to the dam that is burning. That makes sense if the Camino is closed at La Mesa. It is possible to walk the road from Berducedo to Grandas and that sounds as though it is the route that folk have had to take.
The reports say that the concentration is on preventing the fire threatening the Muniellos spreading - the largest oak forest in the world.
Let us just pray that the fires are soon under control and extinguished for the sake of all those living there.

Yes, people's safety is far more important than anything else. Hope it's brought under control soon. The response crews must be stretched to the hilt with so many fires.

Thanks for all the updates - I would have had no idea - especially this time of year...I start walking on the 25th from Oviedo - I 'm going to start as planned and deal with stuff as it happens ...keep calm and carry on as they say ;) hope others think the same though ..otherwise I'll be walking on my own !

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Fires are now raging up the Valley of Silence outside Ponferrada, now threatening the Cave of San Gannadio just outside Penalba de Santiago. My heart is heavy. This is one of my most favorite camino byways in the world, subject of a little guide Laurie (Peregrina2000) put together a couple of years ago. Towns evacuated, livestock abandoned.
God have mercy.

Thanks for all the updates - I would have had no idea - especially this time of year...I start walking on the 25th from Oviedo - I 'm going to start as planned and deal with stuff as it happens ...keep calm and carry on as they say ;) hope others think the same though ..otherwise I'll be walking on my own !
Can you please post an update from the Camino? I start walking on Saturday, April 29... I would greatly appreciate knowing the conditions. I am thinking about switching from the Primitivo to the Salvador or other Camino...

You could try checking the 2 'local' papers Voz de Asturias and Voz de Galicia - both are carrying local updates, although the focus today is on the threat to the Muniellos forest.

The Asturian paper gives snow for this coming week, down to 500mts, so maybe it will help to put out the fires better than rain could.

(Edit - trying to search for reports brings up incidents from 3 or 4 years ago - so is not helpful)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Fires are now raging up the Valley of Silence outside Ponferrada, now threatening the Cave of San Gannadio just outside Penalba de Santiago. My heart is heavy. This is one of my most favorite camino byways in the world, subject of a little guide Laurie (Peregrina2000) put together a couple of years ago. Towns evacuated, livestock abandoned.
God have mercy.
Oh, Rebekah, this is just tragic, made me gasp. That three day circle from Ponferrada remains at the top of my list in terms of beauty, peacefulness, majesty, etc. The world can't afford to lose this beauty. And the poor people who are living there must just be devastated. It is good to hear that so far there seem to be no human casualties, though. Is that still true?

So the fires are not limited to Asturias, it seems, now hitting El Bierzo, are there other places threatened as well? Peñalba is not that far from the Camino Francés and El Acebo.

Thinking about these fires made me remember a conversation I had with a fire ranger in the albergue in Ruesta (Aragón) on the Aragonés. She told us that most of the comunidades autónomas had drastically reduced their budgets for this type of work, but that Aragón had kept the funding stable. (Actually, I'm not sure if the funding came from the Comunidad Autónoma or from the Province, which I think is Zaragoza for the town of Ruesta). Some of her comments about the consequences of de-funding seem prescient now. I'm not suggesting that budget cuts caused these fires to get out of control, but it's a tragic reminder of how important it is for a country to make sure it has a well-funded system in place.

God have mercy.
God have mercy.

Oh that is so sad! My heart goes out to them. They will be in my prayers.

Petro

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Lots of pictures of the Bierzo fire here. http://www.infobierzo.com/las-fotog...vel-2-y-amenaza-la-tebaida-del-bierzo/309864/

One of the pictures shows how close the fire is to Montes de Valdueza, site of a monastery we visited on that three day walk. So so sad.

There seems to be no doubt in the minds of the authorities interviewed that the fires were intentionally set, either by a pyromaniac or someone trying to "clear out" the weeds. I wonder if that is also true in the fires in Asturias.

The Asturias authorities have been saying all along that they are certain the fires were human caused.

There's a guy on the FB apoc page who has friend walking the primitivo and is reporting no problems getting through Tineo. The mad Scotsman is the pilgrim. Posted this picture looking toward Grandas.

Attachments

• IMG_0952.JPG
    IMG_0952.JPG
    214.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
...The Asturias authorities have been saying all along that Rhett are certain the fires were human caused.
I don't remember exactly when and where in those past years I was talking to a local that told me a lot of fires are set by the owners of the forests which later claim insurance money. Might be true, might not be. Anyway, even thrown away glass bottle can cause a fire when hit by the sun at the right angle...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, people's safety is far more important than anything else. Hope it's brought under control soon. The response crews must be stretched to the hilt with so many fires.
The Voz de Asturias now says that the rain has helped to bring the fires under control or extinguish them. The damage around Grandas is to 500hectares of forest. Whether that will still affect the main Camino or not it does not say. It may be undamaged, or maybe need a detour on the road around the burnt area.
So good that the rain came in time to save a worse disaster. There has also been significant snow in the Cordillera - photo in the same 'paper' of snow half way up the road sign near Pola de Lena (C de Salvador)

Thanks for the update Tia Valeria. I leave for Madrid in a few hours. I have decided to keep to my original plan to walk the Primitivo. I arrive in Oviedo tomorrow. Plan B is to walk the Salvador from Oviedo to Leon if I hear that the route is not open. I'll post the conditions in a few days.

The Voz de Asturias now says that the rain has helped to bring the fires under control or extinguish them. The damage around Grandas is to 500hectares of forest. Whether that will still affect the main Camino or not it does not say. It may be undamaged, or maybe need a detour on the road around the burnt area.
So good that the rain came in time to save a worse disaster. There has also been significant snow in the Cordillera - photo in the same 'paper' of snow half way up the road sign near Pola de Lena (C de Salvador)

Thanks for the update. Was just thinking about this today.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for the update Tia Valeria. I leave for Madrid in a few hours. I have decided to keep to my original plan to walk the Primitivo. I arrive in Oviedo tomorrow. Plan B is to walk the Salvador from Oviedo to Leon if I hear that the route is not open. I'll post the conditions in a few days.

Me too - decided to stick to the Primitivo unless advised otherwise when I arrive. Plan B is either the Norte or Madrid...
Safe and happy hiking and buen camino! :)

Currently on the Primitivo in Tineo. Beautiful but cold weather and rain yesterday (with some sleet and heavy wind for an hour). Lots of mud between Salas and Tineo. No problem with forest fires...

Currently on the Primitivo in Tineo. Beautiful but cold weather and rain yesterday (with some sleet and heavy wind for an hour). Lots of mud between Salas and Tineo. No problem with forest fires...

Except for the sleet, 50sF is perfect walking weather for me. Long range forecast has the temps pretty warm in the 60F degree range with occasional rain. Thank goodness. I hope it stays cooler. I dread having to walk in 70+ temps. Glad the fires are no longer a problem. I'm sure that was stressful for the locals.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back