• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What public transport might be available in the event I can't do every stage - starting at Le Puy

Kharv

Time of past OR future Camino
(2017)
my hubby & I are planning to walk/run to Santiago starting at Le Puy early July. Sadly I have been having a knee problem which may rear its ugly head during our adventure. If this happened and I needed a rest day while he carried on, how easy is it for me to move from around in France by public transport? ( I'm hoping that I can just keep walking but just in case...)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Welcome to the forum @Kharv

I met one pilgrim in 2014 that just hitched a ride with the luggage transport van when being in a similar situation. You also might want to consider to go easy on the 'run' part to save your knees. Bon Chemin, SY

It depends very much on where you are. There are towns that have bus services but that would need careful research.

Taxis are expensive and in small places very hard to book. We got caught out one time on the Le Puy, underestimated badly the time we'd take, stopped for very late afternoon lunch at an isolated cafe and asked the landlady to call a taxi so we could make it to our booked gite in time. She tried the local taxis none of whom had cars available at all. We hitched a lift in the end and arrived safe but wouldn't recommend it.

If you have the the Miam Miam Dodo, check all the villages and towns that have public transport and plan accordingly, you may need to travel to a stop that's a day's walk ahead of your partner and wait for him there.

We had to cut out about 100 km towards the end because we our walking friends were running out of time, but we all still wanted to end in SJPP. We went to the local bus office in the nearest town and the man behind the counter arranged it all - connections in several towns and, being France, carefully allowed for time to "have a proper meal" at each place.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Generally speaking, the bag-transport services are your best bet on the Le Puy route. There is bag service along the entire Le Puy-SJPP route, provided by different firms in different areas. Your gite host will be happy to call and make the arrangements. This will involve waiting at the gite for pickup, which might not be until afternoon. There is not, generally speaking, taxi service available to pick you up any time and any where. If you are in or near a larger town, it may be possible (if not a Sunday, Monday, or other local closing day).

And - speaking of running on the Le Puy route - have you seen the size of the cobblestones? There is quite a good percentage of the route where, even in stiff-soled hiking boots, one must be very careful about placing one's feet.

There is bag service along the entire Le Puy-SJPP route
They carry people, too, sometimes!!

There is not, generally speaking, taxi service available to pick you up any time and any where.
I went to an actual taxi office in Moissac on a Sunday, called, and still waited two hours for the taxi! It will be easier to start the day in a taxi than try to finish the day in a taxi; your host can call as opposed to you trying in the middle of a stage from a remote location.

La Malle Postale who are based in Le Puy do baggage and pilgrim transport along the route. If you Google them you find their website.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Generally speaking, the bag-transport services are your best bet on the Le Puy route. There is bag service along the entire Le Puy-SJPP route, provided by different firms in different areas.

Hi,

For instance this company, which organises shuttles for pilgrims, as well as bag transport.

Edit : Sorry, Gittihare, I have seen your post afterwards.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back