• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sureste journal June-July 2015: first part

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Yes
Hi everyone,

I promised I would publish an account of my camino this summer... I hope it can help someone interested in the Sureste, as well as people interested in the differences Levante-Sureste... I'll begin working on the second part right away.

Oh, by the way: the alternative titel of this work is "The Ultimate Destruction of English Grammar as We Know It." I hope the English teachers out there won't judge me too rashly... I did my best....

Ciaoooo

/Bad Pilgrim

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Great information, quite a professional job there, BP! I have made your post a sticky one so that it will be at the top of the list when people go to the sureste forum.

Thank you Laurie. I feel my work is a bit "over-produced" but I found it difficult to cut it down... A cure for insomnia perhaps... And some pictures mysteriously disappear. Oh well.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks Bad Pilgrim, this is a massive help to me. You should be sent out more often!

Thanks, it's the first time I try to write something like this. But next year I'm thinking of El Norte - Primitivo and there are already so many blogs about it so I don't think I'll write anything... There's no need... But I'm also thinking about the Ruta de la Lana, which is much less travelled, where I see the need of more experiences & information so who knows...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Here is stage 16-18! Happy New Year to all the pellygrims out there!!
I have saved ALL those, BP.
Thank you so much for your input: the information will be VERY useful for me when I start the Sureste next month.
And a Happy New Year 2016 to you...
Blessings from Suffolk, UK.

I have saved ALL those, BP.
Thank you so much for your input: the information will be VERY useful for me when I start the Sureste next month.
And a Happy New Year 2016 to you...
Blessings from Suffolk, UK.

Next month, wow, as I always say: I long to do one of these Caminos in winter, to experience something else than the landscapes in summer. But I've never been able to. Lucky you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Next month, wow, as I always say: I long to do one of these Caminos in winter, to experience something else than the landscapes in summer. But I've never been able to. Lucky you!
I'm just hoping I can manage without too much rain, and also find some intermediate accommodation - can't enjoy walking over 25 kms ... that should probably say "Can't walk over 25 kms!!!
We will see: it's all in God's hands!
Thanks again, BP.

Here's stage 13-15. Take it or leave it!
I enjoyed your description of Almonacid de Toledo's horrible smoky Kuki Bar. It really is the most unfriendly, dirty, borderline racist (probably not borderline if your skin colour is darker than mine) generally ghastly bar in the whole of Spain. Although I was hungry, I left it after one caña and went to the other bar, which may not have done food, but at least gave out a quite decent tapa with each drink, allowed people of both sexes to drink in it, was welcoming to strangers and didn't encourage illegal smoking.

Somehow I missed the cockroaches in the "albergue" there as I slept soundly on a piece of cardboard spread over two benches (sound sleep possibly the result of having had to drink the several drinks I needed to "earn" my much-needed tapas.

Despite its impressive castle and delicious spring water, Almonacid de Toledo somehow doesn't rank very high on my list of "must revisit" camino places.

Here's stage 19-21! And we ain't done yet!

Attachments

• Sureste2015stage19-21.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 120
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When I walked through Arevalo in the spring of '14 with another pilgrim called Don (a forum member) we found a albergue in a sportcentre not too far from the centre. contact keyholder at the local police office, on the right just after the first r'about on entering town. The police guided us to the albergue, met us there with the key, and went and found a cleaner because they decided it wasn't clean enough.!
regards
George

Last edited:
Hi, BP, any chance you are going to finish up the part from Medina del Campo on? I know that it's been a year since you did the last part, but hope springs eternal! :)

As I mentioned in another thread, you have piqued my Sureste curiosity!

Wow, I'm truly aware of the fact that my journal stopped short there. But I'm afraid I've forgotten the details now... Although there are things to write about, as I mentioned in another thread: the eerie albergue of Villalpanda, ha ha...

What is worse, my much more recent account of the Camino de Madrid stopped short before the last stage! But I will post it tomorrow so stay tuned, ah ha ha!! If anyone's still interested.

I think our journals rapidly gets out of date. I'm hoping for Pilgrim Class of 2017 to give their own account of both the Sureste and the Madrid...

I'm planning to combine different paths this year but the Lana will certainly be one of them. I'll write something about it when I get home!

/BP

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi! This summer I am plannig to walk from Toledo to Astorga. I will be really happy for informations about this way - distances, albergue,... Thank you.
Tatjana

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi! This summer I am plannig to walk from Toledo to Astorga. I will be really happy for informations about this way - distances, albergue,... Thank you.
Tatjana

Camino Del Sureste Y Francés

Salida Llegada Kms
(Departure) (Arrival)

Toledo Noves 34
Noves Escalona 19,65
Escalona Cadalso 18,1
Cadalso Cebreros 21,7
Cebreros San Bartolome de Pinares 18,6
San Bartolome de Pinares Avila 27,2
Avila Gotarrendura 24,5
Gotarrendura Arevalo 29,5
Arevalo Medina del Campo 32,7
Medina del Campo Tordesillas 26
Tordesillas Mota del Marqués 24,8
Mota del Marqués San Pedro de Latarce 21,3
San Pedro de Latarce Villalpando 20,15
Villalpando Benavente 31,75
Benavente Alija Del Infantado 22,1
Alija Del Infantado La Bañeza 20,5
La Bañeza Astorga 24,2
Astorga Rabanal Del Camino 20,3
Rabanal Del Camino Ponferrada 32,7
Ponferrada Villafranca del Bierzo 22,5
Villafranca del Bierzo O Cebreiro 28,5
O Cebreiro Triacastela 20,9
Triacastela Sarria 24,7
Sarria Portomarin 22,5
Portomarin Palas de Rei 24,8
Palas de Rei Melide 14,6
Melide Santa Irene 30,7
Santa Irene Santiago De Compostela 22,2

TOTAL 681,2

Note from Moderator -- I have changed this from an "all capitals" post, which I found harder to read. In addition, the author, Julian, notes that he doesn't speak much English, but he hopes that this post helps.

Attachments

• mapa caminos toledo a escalona 90x90.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • mapa caminos de santiago salida toledo (1).jpg
    mapa caminos de santiago salida toledo (1).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • SALIDA DE TOLEDO POR EL CAMINO DE SANTIAGO mas del rivero (1).pdf
    548.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited by a moderator:
I start tomorrow.

I would love to go in November - I am so jealous!

Beware that my text was written 4 years ago. The towns are still there so it may serve you as an indication of how to divide the stages, where to stay and what it looks like. But of course accomodation and prices may have changed!

I would like to hear a mud-report from you, so I know if it is safe to walk the Sureste in autumn/winter, which I certainly would like to do!! But I hate mud! XOD

And after Almansa, you know you can switch between the Sureste and the Levante as you like.

Take care!

BP

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Beware that my text was written 4 years ago. The towns are still there so it may serve you as an indication of how to divide the stages, where to stay and what it looks like. But of course accomodation and prices may have changed!

I would like to hear a mud-report from you, so I know if it is safe to walk the Sureste in autumn/winter, which I certainly would like to do!! But I hate mud! XOD

And after Almansa, you know you can switch between the Sureste and the Levante as you like.

Take care!

BP
It's quite dry currently in Alicante. Actually I was hoping for a bit more autumn/winter weather as I've all my gear for keeping dry. I've struggled today to get the official stamp - both the office of the Amigos and the Basilica have been closed all day(the Amigos office is only open on Tuesday and Friday I believe)

Take care!

BP
I'm only going as far as Toledo as I think that's as far as I'll get in the time I have.

I've not been in Spain for two years and suddenly my language barrier has reappeared! Too many Chemin in France recently!!!

It's quite dry currently in Alicante. Actually I was hoping for a bit more autumn/winter weather as I've all my gear for keeping dry. I've struggled today to get the official stamp - both the office of the Amigos and the Basilica have been closed all day(the Amigos office is only open on Tuesday and Friday I believe)
Although the office of the Amigos are supposed to be open only on Tues and I think Thurs(!) I found them open on a wednesday!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back