• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Clothing in Portugal

ConnieAdriano

Time of past OR future Camino
Past 2016:Sarria - Santiago
Past 2018:Central CP & Finist-Muxia-SdC
Future 2020:Via Francigena
Hi all,
We are doing the Caminho Central in 12 months and doing our preparation. We are giving ourselves four weeks for the walk and then two weeks to head back to Lisbon to fly home. We are reading a lot of information about clothing in Portugal and reading lots about no shorts, tight clothing, but smart casual clothing. Is that right?
Kind regards, Adriano and Connie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi all,
We are doing the Caminho Central in 12 months and doing our preparation. We are giving ourselves four weeks for the walk and then two weeks to head back to Lisbon to fly home. We are reading a lot of information about clothing in Portugal and reading lots about no shorts, tight clothing, but smart casual clothing. Is that right?
Kind regards, Adriano and Connie

Hi, must say that this is the first time I hear about this.
People will know that you are a pilgrim and understand you can't bring your entire wardrobe with you.
I did not see many differences in clothingstyles between Spain and Portugal.
Locals tend to " dress up " a bit for going out but again not any restaurant or bar will frown upon you when you come in with your walking gear.
Churches tend to be more open in Portugal for visits than in Spain and then you could put a sleeved shirt on and some trousers. Although again everyone will understand that you are a pilgrim when you are wearing a short trouser and sleeveless shirt.

Enjoy your preparations. Portugal and the Portugues people are wonderful.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked most of it in short pants that I bought in Sport Zone in Porto. Didn't expect the heat. In the evening or on colder days I wore baselayer leggings used to sleep in at night.
The only thing I would change on my next camino is sleeveless tops instead of t-shirts. It was too hot for sleeves.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
This is a very amusing thread. When I first saw the title, my immediate thought was Doh! Of course they wear clothes in Portugal!

But, on closer examination, I realize the OP is seeking advice on how to dress for the Camino, while still being appropriately dressed for tourism afterwards. I spent four days in Lisbon after my Camino from Lisbon to Santiago this May. Here is my take on this question.

If you made reservations for a hotel at Lisbon for the end phase of your travels, and you are starting from Lisbon, inquire with the hotel in advance, by e-mail, if they will store a locked suitcase for you (to share) for your return. For better hotels, the answer is usually yes.

This works best if you arrive at Lisbon, stay overnight before continuing to your Camino, then return to the same hotel. But, it should work even if you have to take a taxi to check your bag with the end of the route hotel.

If this works, then leave the extra/tourist clothing, shoes, accessories, etc. at Lisbon. Only carry the absolute least amount of stuff you can get away with. Of course, keep all your valuables with you at all times.

If the hotel will not hold a piece of luggage for you. And as far as I know, your sole alternative will be to ship a box of clothing from Lisbon to Santiago using the Portuguese postal system (CTT). Here are some tips.

1. At Lisbon, perhaps the most convenient CTT office (IMHO) is at the Oriente Train station. It is on street level. They will sell you boxes.

2. The CTT requires you to use a Portuguese 'return to' address. I advise using the address of the hotel you plan to use at Lisbon at the end of your Camino.

3. My choice and recommendation is to ship to the hotel you have reserved at Santiago. Check with them via e-mail, in advance, to ask if they will accept and hold a parcel for you until you arrive.

4. If #2 fails, post the box(es) to Ivar at Santiago using the instructions in this forum.

5. DO NOT ship from the Portuguese CTT to the Spanish Correos (post office using Poste Restante). I recommend against this as the Spanish post office has time limits on how long they will hold stuff at the post office for you to pick up. I do not even know if the CTT will do this.

6. Do not send anything ahead of you that is not readily replaceable. In early May, I sent a box to Ivar from Porto. It ended up lost in the Portuguese mail system for about 10 days before being spit out and mysteriously arriving at Ivar's place. I had already left Santiago to return home via Lisbon. Fortunately, I am returning to Santiago in three weeks and will retrieve this "walkabout" box then. While this has happened occasionally, it is rare. The usual time for a box to get from Porto or Lisbon to Santiago is 5 - 6 days.

Both the CTT and Spanish Correos have excellent apps for smart phones. The CTT app has an outstanding tracking system for you to track your parcel(s) on their way to Santiago. I used it for the several boxes I send to several addresses in Spain and Belgium from Portugal. I recommend getting them for you Android or iOS device.

I hope this helps.

On my Portuguese camino, I took a simple microfiber dress (just above knee length) and leggings for my after hiking clothing. I wore the dress (and the leggings if cooler weather) whenever I wasn't walking. I'm 62, and managed to find an age-appropriate, not skintight dress. This worked perfectly for me.

Whenever we've stayed for 3 or 4 days after the Camino to do the tourist thing, we've found that our convertible zip-off trousers do just fine. Add a shirt/top or two that you can purchase in Lisbon, Porto, or wherever if you want something a little more dressy to wear around. That works fine for most common tourist attractions of the sort you'd find in Rick Steves' travel books--it's basically the type of clothing he recommends. However, if you're more of an upscale, 5-star hotel and fine dining type of tourist and bring extra luggage for dress-up wear, then @t2andreo's advice is wise.
Bom Caminho!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you everyone. I should have made myself a little more clear. Clothing on the Caminho is not such a problem. It is what I am reading for post our walk, just touring Portugal for our last two weeks of six. But from what you are all saying Portugal is relaxed which is great. Thank you. Adriano and Connie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Then I guess @ConnieAdriano the article you read was aimed at people that make a 'beach holiday' to avoid that they appear in a restaurant or church with only their 'beach wear'. Buen Camino and Happy Holidays in Portugal, SY

Thank you everyone for your insights

Until you get a sunburn on your shoulders - BIG OUCH when putting your backpack on ;-) Buen Camino, SY
My skin goes from white to red to white again... I'm used to sunburns and to pain (scoliosis and a backpack). However, sleeves are my nemesis.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My skin goes from white to red to white again... I'm used to sunburns and to pain (scoliosis and a backpack). However, sleeves are my nemesis.
I have a fair complexion and burn easily. I never used to worry about skin cancer when I was young and felt invincible. Now that I'm older and have started developing precancerous (so far) skin growths, I'm wishing I was not so nonchalant back in my younger days.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back