• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue heaven -- 6 km after Abadin

peregrina2000

Staff member
I think this albergue may be my #1 ever. O Xistral, in a several hundred year old stone home with slate roof. Lovingly restored by the pilgrim owners, Paula and Jaime, over 4 years. Just opened this year. Rather than describe it, I will attach pictures. It sits in a little hamlet about 6 km beyond Abadin. Beds are 12 €, dinner 10€, breakfast 3. 3 rooms with a total of 17 beds.

Lots of the original has been preserved--the huge stone oven, ancient beams, the "saladero"--a big granite bathtub-like structure where meat was cured and salted, the pig trough, etc. The lawn outdoors has tables and chairs and lots of trees. It is really beautiful. They are cooking dinner now and the smells are wafting out here. Saludos from one happy peregrina.

Attachments

• IMG_7253.JPG
    IMG_7253.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 2,143
  • IMG_7257.JPG
    IMG_7257.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 371
  • IMG_7262.JPG
    IMG_7262.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 296
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Laurie,

It looks like they have done a wonderful job restoring that place. I am happy you found it and thanks for the pictures.

Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Laurie,
We walked past this last October (wasn't open yet) and I took photos so I wouldn't forget about it! Looks beautiful!
buen camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It's in Castromaior. I took this picture in November last year. The builders were working inside.
567Castromaior.jpg
Jill

A bit different from your standard Xunta albergue (no complaints here).

I remember seeing the place after leaving Gonzón. It did look like an idyllic and restful place. And nice to hear that it is run by pilgrims.

They have flyers advertising it in the albergue in La Caridad.

Buen Camino from Póvoa do Vazim!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ye, it's an amazing place to dont miss, Jaime is such a loveble and helpful person. Totally worth to walk those 6 km after Abadin.

And they also have a swimming pool in the garden outside !

Hi, danioku,

When I was there, the pool was not yet installed. Glad to hear it is up and operational. This is not an in-ground pool, btw, but a circular above-ground place to sit and cool off. Don't be expecting to do lap swimming in this pool. ;)

Were there a lot of people when you stayed? Fingers crossed that they are successful!

Hi, danioku,

When I was there, the pool was not yet installed. Glad to hear it is up and operational. This is not an in-ground pool, btw, but a circular above-ground place to sit and cool off. Don't be expecting to do lap swimming in this pool. ;)

Were there a lot of people when you stayed? Fingers crossed that they are successful!

Ye, it's a circular pool big enought to hold 4-5 chilling pilgrims :D
When i stayed (12 july 2017) it was full, they accepted 2 more guys that slept in the garden with tents.

If you plan to stay there, It's possible (and raccomandable) to book in advance to be sure to get your bed/room. Dinner (10€ probably) and breakfast (3.5€) are also served and they were good !

Their phone number is : +34 673524257 // albergueoxistral.com

I just saw on their facebook page that their stone Santiago statue, right at the entrance, was stolen. Go figure. Can't imagine there is much good karma coming from that incident.

Would love to hear from more forum members who have stayed there -- just to show you all that my enthusiasm is totally justified!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.