• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Kindle usefulness?

Lurch

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (parts of) 2018, 2021
:confused::confused:

Would appreciate any info regarding today's Kindles, as a device to take on the Frances next year. My current one is so old it had a analog keyboard on it and its internet usefulness is almost nil. I have a Pantech tablet which is useful as a book reader and internet connection but it is now dicey in its operation and I need to replace it. I am hoping a newer Kindle would fill the bill but would like some feedback from forum members.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, I also have the Kindle app downloaded to my smartphone, and I often buy Kindle books while on camino, especially when someone recommends something . . . I have no problem reading books on the small screen. I hate having to go to bed at 10pm in the albergues, so I curl up inside my sleeping bag, with my smartphone, and read for an hour or so. I rarely use it at home (I much prefer “real” books), although it does come in useful at home sometimes: in the dentist’s waiting room, waiting for a friend at a café and she’s running late, etc.
Jill

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I too have an older Kindle with the analog keyboard (and it's my third one!). I continue to use it for Camino travel for two reasons: lighter weight and bigger battery (runs longer per charge). While it's not good for Internet browsing etc, book downloads while in Europe are no problem. I use the iPhone for all other Internet work. For me, the small phone screen (I have an iPhone 6) just does not work for book reading. Also, the screen is hard to read in sunlight.

When planning for your electronic devices on the Camino, remember the weight driver is the glass screen; so the larger the screen, the heavier the device. Also remember to pack a Euro plug/adapter, cable, and possibly a small backup power supply.

I prefer a 7" tablet (I carry it in one of my pants side pockets) or an 8" tablet for reading, emails and web surfing.
I carry no phone. Skype is my phone connection. I currently use a Samsung but need to investigate the Amazon fire range.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sorry to digress slightly - how easy is it to charge devices? Thinking specifically at hostels.

I've been having the smartphone/kobo battle in my own mind, and figured that the kobo battery lasts much longer than the smart phone, so if I only had my phone on once in a while I wouldn't have to charge either device very often.

I can't remember where i'd read previous discussions about charging, but it did sound like there were a few pilgrim albergues without a lot of charger access.

(FYI I am doing the Norte, not the Frances)

Take a power bank. They are becomig lighter with more power these days, mine charges my Samsung S5 at least 4 times, so its almost impossible to run out of juice.

You will not have as much time as you think for reading! A smart phone is the way to go, if only as it's lighter to carry. It is also quick to charge. You can sometimes sit near a power point whilst stopping for a cafe con leche during the day.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have a kindle touch, and it holds a charge for a week or more. I still have my old analog one, but it's so clunky by comparison that I never use it.

I also read on an iPad mini, and it's much smoother than a kindle, but I need to charge it daily.

People say we won't have much time for reading, and a smartphone is enough, and maybe that's true. Nonetheless, that is the one piece of forum advice I am ignoring. My kindle is coming with me!

I took my Kindle Fire on two Caminos and it was helpful for email and books. I liked the bit larger screen so worked well for me.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I use my kindle at home, on the Camino I used my iphone 6 plus with the kindle app. It was sufficient for my needs, and it was important to me to keep my pack to 10 pounds (4 1/2 kilos). I really didn't do much reading except for the guide books I had. I'm thinking this year walking the CP in October I may have more alone time but I still don't want to carry any more. I am old and arthritic, if I were younger I would perhaps not have to be so weight conscious.

Carry a smart phone if you have one. Leave tablets or notebooks, no matter how light at home. Every gram counts, and grams DO add up quickly to become kilograms.

The only exception I make is for someone who must maintain a blog or conduct some other sort of "business" while on Camino. In this case, you make a logical choice to hump the extra kilogram or two for the device, protective case and charger/ cable, etc.

Personally, since 2015, I have used my iPhone for everything. This one device replaced a SMS flip-phone, Canon digital camera, and iPod Touch. However, I do not maintain a blog.

Also, before I leave, I set up an auto-reply message on my g-Mail server that tells anyone who is also in my Contacts directory that I am on Camino and to please NOT send me anything not urgent and requiring an immediate reply. This reduces my daily e-mail to commercial stuff. These messages do not require reading and can be easily deleted.

Over the two Caminos I have done with an iPhone, I can report that I used the phone everyday for virtually everything EXCEPT as a phone. As I have t-Mobile for a service provider, and they allow me to use my 5 gb monthly data in 140 foreign countries with no roaming fees, I can use GPS routing, mapping, translators, research, online guides, weather, and whatever else. These devices are an electronic analog for the Swiss Army knife, with everything but the kitchen sink on it.

I hope this helps.

Count me in the group recommending leaving the Kindle at home. A smart phone with the Kindle app does the same thing, you just have to flip pages more often. And as @t2andreo said, as smartphone is the electronic equivalent of a Swiss army knife. However, typing a blog on a smartphone keyboard can be challenging.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Would appreciate any info regarding today's Kindles, as a device to take on the Frances next year. My current one is so old it had a analog keyboard on it and its internet usefulness is almost nil. I have a Pantech tablet which is useful as a book reader and internet connection but it is now dicey in its operation and I need to replace it. I am hoping a newer Kindle would fill the bill but would like some feedback from forum members.
Kindles are good value for money but tied tight to Amazon - my daughter tells me you have to "root" them if you want Google App Store to work (sounds painful/technical/both) but, as others have said, do you NEED to take one?

I agree with smartphone. I have an iphone6splus for me it's big enough. I don't want the extra weight or to have to remember yet one more thing to pack, charge, etc. this is such a personal preference thing like the whole camera vs smartphone debate for pics!

I took my small Kindle Fire tablet last year, and used it about two times, then left it in my backpack the rest of the time. It's not coming on the Camino with me this year. All I need is my phone.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for the replies...I just have a semi-worn out tablet and smart phone and an ancient Kindle. Was hoping to get something that would replace them as far as internet access and a reader. Maybe I can find a NOS older smart phone and go from there. Will be getting a new phone in a few months with contract renewal but that will stay with my wife when I head out to the Camino.

Again I appreciate all the replies. It is interesting to get insight as to what others use when on their walkabout in Spain.:D:D

Thanks for the replies...I just have a semi-worn out tablet and smart phone and an ancient Kindle. Was hoping to get something that would replace them as far as internet access and a reader. Maybe I can find a NOS older smart phone and go from there. Will be getting a new phone in a few months with contract renewal but that will stay with my wife when I head out to the Camino.

Again I appreciate all the replies. It is interesting to get insight as to what others use when on their walkabout in Spain.:D:D
Some of the new smartphones have screens almost as large as a small tablet. If you want to use it on the Camino with a Spanish SIM card, be sure it's unlocked. My carrier (Verizon/US) does not lock their smartphones, so they're good to go out of the box. Other carriers may require a wait period to give you the unlock code.

I have to say that I absolutely loved having my Kindle Voyage along. It's light enough, and I hate reading for more than a few minutes on my phone. I had about 20 novels & non fiction books plus several guide books on my Kindle, plus even downloaded one spur of the moment when a fellow pilgrim suggested a Camino related book. I could read in bed (it's backlit, and can adjust the brightness way down). I'm a voracious reader and so always had something to read if I wasn't feeling like being social, or if there was simple no one around to talk with (it happens!) I wouldn't go on Camino without it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Brought a Kindle Fire on my second camino. Posted it home from the first open Correos I found. Useless piece of kit, no time to use it as I spent all my spare time interacting with other pilgrims. Bring a notebook and pencil and you can relive your pilgrimage transcribing it to digital format when you get home. If you must read or keep a blog, a smartphone is all you need. It even doubles as your camera and all your pics are stored to Google photos when you get wifi provided of course you have an android device, dont know how an iphone works in this respect

I have to say that I absolutely loved having my Kindle Voyage along. It's light enough, and I hate reading for more than a few minutes on my phone. I had about 20 novels & non fiction books plus several guide books on my Kindle, plus even downloaded one spur of the moment when a fellow pilgrim suggested a Camino related book. I could read in bed (it's backlit, and can adjust the brightness way down). I'm a voracious reader and so always had something to read if I wasn't feeling like being social, or if there was simple no one around to talk with (it happens!) I wouldn't go on Camino without it.

I just have to add something to my own post. When I say voracious reader, I really mean it. Even spending a LOT of time with other pilgrims, I still read 5-6 books on my Camino (over 2 months). SO, I guess my point is that whether or not you bring a Kindle (or similar reader) could depend very heavily on how much time you expect to spend reading. If you think you'll only get through 1 book or so during your entire journey, then, by all means, go ahead and read it on your phone. BUT, if you are a reader like me, then...that could be a different thing altogether.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.