• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodations in Irun

MHiker2017

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte
Hi! Arriving in Irun Friday morning, planning to set out on the Camino Saturday. Any suggestions for where to stay in Irun or what to do in the afternoon?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We arrived by train in Irun late afternoon. Our overnight stop was at a simple Hostal very clean, booked on Booking.com. There is an albergue there as well. We had a walk around, then found a square with restaurants where we ate dinner. Back on the train next day to pick up our final etape in Sarria.

Last edited:
Hi, you don't say where you're coming from, how long you would have been travelling for, whether you want to stay in the pilgrim albergue or a hotel, etc...

The first would make a difference in suggestions for what to do, for example if you haven't travelled to this part of the world before, then I'd suggest spending the afternoon in France, for pure tourist reasons (you can just walk over the bridge from Irun into Hendaye). Accommodation suggestions would depend on whether or not you've been travelling for days and need a good night's sleep in a hotel, or whether you're keen to meet some fellow pilgrims asap... More details, please! :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, you don't say where you're coming from, how long you would have been travelling for, whether you want to stay in the pilgrim albergue or a hotel, etc...

The first would make a difference in suggestions for what to do, for example if you haven't travelled to this part of the world before, then I'd suggest spending the afternoon in France, for pure tourist reasons (you can just walk over the bridge from Irun into Hendaye). Accommodation suggestions would depend on whether or not you've been travelling for days and need a good night's sleep in a hotel, or whether you're keen to meet some fellow pilgrims asap... More details, please! :)

Hi! I'm flying in from the Middle East, but I'm staying one night in Madrid, so hopefully I'll be reasonably well rested. I arrive in Irun at around 10am. Perhaps staying in an alburgue would be better? Might be nice to get some tips before I start out. Also, I wasn't able to source permethrin here, so I'm hoping to be able to treat my pack & sleeping bag. Maybe people at an alburgue would have tips about this as well.

I just spent one night in the Pilgrim Aubergue in downtown Irun.

Albergue de Peregrinos de Irun
Google maps takes you right there.

Very basic but clean. The hospiteros (there are 2) are very accommodating and speak multiple languages including English.

They wake you at 7:00am with classical music and serve a light breakfast with coffee and toast before shooing you out at 8:00.

Not a lot of beds and it doesn't open for new arrivals until 4:00pm so arrive early and be prepared to wait in line.

It is donativo. Do future pilgrims a favor and be generous.

It is a good introduction to your Camino life.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
If it's full would they allow us to sleep on the floor? We arrive at 8pm?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Cheers Jan, didn't see that. Could be an appropriate way to start. Thanks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Perfect Jason. If I've got a roof and a place to wash, I'm good.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.