• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any Way Around the Return Trip Ticket Requirement in Portugal?

Willin'

Abiding Dude
Time of past OR future Camino
First Camino in September 2017
I was just about to pull the trigger on an incredibly low one way airfare to Lisbon from Boston when I checked the Portuguese Embassy site and found that proof of return or onward paid transportation is required before entry will be granted.

I'm doing the Portugues starting in mid September and hope to pull it off in about 6 weeks, but am leery of committing to a return airfare because the airlines charges a $200 change fee with no refunds if I miss the departure. I know, that's the risk of doing business with a budget air service.

I figured I'd have a better idea of my finish/ departure date by the time I reached Porto and would make return air reservations and overland travel plans to either Madrid or Lisbon at that time.

I've just e-mailed the Embassy with the same question but it's Saturday AM and probably won't receive an answer before Monday or even later and don't want to miss this airfare.

Anyone have an idea how to get around that return travel requirement?

Many thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That's an interesting thought. Let me check!

Thank you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Two other possibilities:

Book the return flight at the end of your '90 day allowance' and bring it forward if needed (charges for bringing a flight forward might be less/none).

Bring proof of sufficient funds in your bank account (ask embassy if that would work).

And finally, just tell them you are WALKING out of the country - to Santiago in Spain ;-)

Buen Camino, SY

I have never been asked for proof of return booking. I flew in to Lisbon last year and left weeks later from Santiago de Compostela. This year I am flying to the Azores for a few days then to Lisbon. Once I reach Santiago I fly to Seville then leave Lisbon weeks later. I did not book any round trip tickets only single flights.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have undetermined plans to walk the Camino Portugues and was not worried about this issue as;

"I am on pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela in Spain and will be walking."

or

"Eu estou em peregrinação a Santiago de Compostela, na Espanha e estará andando."

To cinch the deal, try to procure a Shell and Credential before yuo go. As you go through Immigration, ask for a stamp.

I have never been asked for proof of return booking. I flew in to Lisbon last year and left weeks later from Santiago de Compostela. This year I am flying to the Azores for a few days then to Lisbon. Once I reach Santiago I fly to Seville then leave Lisbon weeks later. I did not book any round trip tickets only single flights.

That's what I was hoping to hear, but I'm a firm believer in the power of positive pessimism. IOW, the odds of something bad happening are inversely proportional to how much you sweat the small stuff.

To cinch the deal, try to procure a Shell and Credential before yuo go. As you go through Immigration, ask for a stamp.

Ordering my credential tonight!

Many thanks for the great, thoughtful replies, folks!

I have flown into Portugal many times.
Never had the question of an onward or return flight come up.
I feel certain that it is not a policy that is normally used or enforced.
You are in fact leaving Portugal a pied into Spain if you were to be questioned.
Show them your well worn boots!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Don't worry , everything will work out fine.
Never ask me for my return ticket where ever I went.
Wish you well , Peter.

I was just about to pull the trigger on an incredibly low one way airfare to Lisbon from Boston when I checked the Portuguese Embassy site and found that proof of return or onward paid transportation is required before entry will be granted.
It looks like you will be okay.

Countries fine airlines that send over visitors that the governments will not allow in and the airlines also have to send them back at their own cost. So the airlines use their International Air Transport Association to keep track of the entry requirements. IATA publishes the information as a book called Travel Information Manual (TIM) and they also have it computerized as Travel Information Manual Automatic (TIMATIC.)

TIMATIC can be accessed via the web url https://www.iatatravelcentre.com but the following site provides a somewhat easier interface (but likely not as good for general use): https://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps/vendors/default.aspx?i=TIMATIC

I plugged in a 90 day stay with an arrival in Portugal on a US passport lapsing in 2019 and indicated that I had no return or onward ticket. The result indicated that I would be allowed to enter Portugal. You should try it out yourself though.

See also:
http://www.iata.org/publications/timatic/Pages/tim_faq.aspx
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timatic

The return trip requirement applies to the entire EU / Schengen area and is in place in all EU countries. The intent is to make sure you leave not later than 90 days after you arrive.

You CAN arrive in one EU country (e.g. Portugal) and depart from another (e.g. Spain). I have done this many times over the years.

In the airline business, this is called an "open jaw." Your travels form sort of a triangle, with some sort of other transportation option forming the missing "leg."

For example, you fly US to LIS, walk to Santiago, bus to Madrid, then fly home from Madrid. OR, you fly to Madrid, bus to Pamplona, walk to Santiago, then fly home from Santiago via Paris, London, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, etc.

Each of these examples is totally "legal." An individual country, like Portugal, might not care if you come in on a one-way ticket. However, their membership in the Schengen / EU travel area requires that they abide by the shared rules. These rules, provide, in part, that you MUSt have a ticket OUT of the area in order for them to let you in.

I hope this helps.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
membership in the Schengen / EU travel area requires that they abide by the shared rules. These rules, provide, in part, that you MUSt have a ticket OUT of the area in order for them to let you in.
@t2andreo and I wrote some conflicting information so I've done some further checking.

The English language version of the EU's Schengen Borders Code can be found at:
REGULATION (EU) 2016/399 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL
of 9 March 2016
on a Union Code on the rules governing the movement of persons across borders
(Schengen Borders Code)

Article 6 is the section for "Entry conditions for third-country nationals" and it does not require a return ticket to enter the Schengen Area. Paragraph 1(c) does state though:
they justify the purpose and conditions of the intended stay, and they have sufficient means of subsistence, both for the duration of the intended stay and for the return to their country of origin or transit to a third country into which they are certain to be admitted, or are in a position to acquire such means lawfully;

In a previous post above I wrote that IATA checks whether you are allowed to fly and has access to a database to determine that. That is because Annex V, Part A, Paragraph 2 of the Schengen Borders Code mentions that a carrier has to transport someone that is refused entry into the zone.
2. If a third-country national who has been refused entry is brought to the border by a carrier, the authority responsible locally shall:
(a) order the carrier to take charge of the third-country national and transport him or her without delay to the third country from which he or she was brought, to the third country which issued the document authorising him or her to cross the border, or to any other third country where he or she is guaranteed admittance, or to find means of onward transportation in accordance with Article 26 of the Schengen Convention and Council Directive 2001/51/EC (1);

See http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=celex:32016R0399 for other versions and languages for the Schengen Borders Code

Last edited:
...Book the return flight at the end of your '90 day allowance' and bring it forward if needed (charges for bringing a flight forward might be less/none)...
I'd be interested in hearing from others who have done that. We tried to move our flights up after our recent Camino Portugués and the cost was going to be more than we paid for our original tickets (although our original tickets were purchased far in advance from one of the Rome2Rio agencies and at a very low fare). I think there are many variables involved here--whether or not original tickets were purchased from the airline itself or through a third-party agent, whether you are a frequent flier on the particular airline with one of the premium miles status levels, etc. Maybe a more seasoned traveler can verify this.

I'd be interested in hearing from others who have done that. We tried to move our flights up after our recent Camino Portugués and the cost was going to be more than we paid for our original tickets (although our original tickets were purchased far in advance from one of the Rome2Rio agencies and at a very low fare). I think there are many variables involved here--whether or not original tickets were purchased from the airline itself or through a third-party agent, whether you are a frequent flier on the particular airline with one of the premium miles status levels, etc. Maybe a more seasoned traveler can verify this.
Whether you can change a ticket depends on the airline's fare rules of the ticket. Unless you buy an expensive fully refundable/changeable ticket you will have to pay a change fee, plus the difference between the cost of the original ticket price and the current ticket price. And if the fare goes down you don't get a credit for that. If you book through a third party they will also impose their own fees. One if the many reasons why it's usually best to book directly with the airline, and not insert a middle man into the transaction.
Most of us buy the least expensive, nonrefundable tickets, so you can expect fairly hefty fees to change.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Whether you can change a ticket depends on the airline's fare rules of the ticket. Unless you buy an expensive fully refundable/changeable ticket you will have to pay a change fee, plus the difference between the cost of the original ticket price and the current ticket price. And if the fare goes down you don't get a credit for that. If you book through a third party they will also impose their own fees. One if the many reasons why it's usually best to book directly with the airline, and not insert a middle man into the transaction.
Most of us buy the least expensive, nonrefundable tickets, so you can expect fairly hefty fees to change.
Thanks.

Embassies in many countries state this and airlines try to enforce this (They have a profit motive). However I have made many one way flights to a lot of countries (at least 30) and I have never been asked to provide proof of my exit from a country.

Why not buy a throwaway Ryanair $25 flight from Porto to say, Madrid, for a week after your arrival as proof of plans to leave Portugal?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As a follow up, I just got a response from the Portuguese Embassy...

Dear Sir,

A round trip ticket is required when travelling to Portugal.

Best,

Dina Silva
Embaixada de Portugal
Secção Consular
2012 Massachusetts Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20036

I've already bought my one way non refundable ticket (dirt cheap through Azores Airways) so I guess I'll just take my chances. I'll let you know how it goes come September. Of course, if you don't hear back from me, it may mean I've been disappeared! ;)

Thanks again all!

As a follow up, I just got a response from the Portuguese Embassy...

I've already bought my one way non refundable ticket (dirt cheap through Azores Airways) so I guess I'll just take my chances. I'll let you know how it goes come September. Of course, if you don't hear back from me, it may mean I've been disappeared! ;)

Thanks again all!
How did this work out for you or have you not traveled as yet?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, I went ahead and took the risk back in September. Nary a word was spoken about any return tickets when I checked through customs and immigration, despite the admonishment from the Embassy that I would need to show proof of onward or return travel from Portugal.

My advice, based on this one admittedly limited sample, is don't sweat it. If they press the issue, you can buy bus or train tickets at the airport.

I have flown into Lisbon and Porto several times without a return ticket. The issue never came up....or anywhere else in Europe over the past 20 years.
I have never even considered it as something to be concerned about.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back