• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Caminho Portugués de Lamego

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, Robert,
I have been in Lamego, and it's a nice town very close to the Douro River and its valley, so any camino that passes through there would have some amazing scenery. I didn't know there was a route through that part. I do know that some walkers leave the Vdlp in Zamora and head up through Braganca, but my hazy sense of the geography suggests that these must be different routes.

If there is a route from Coimbra to Chaves, my guess is that there are no arrows. From Chaves, I bet you would connect with the Vdlp in Verin (actually, this is a variant of the Vdlp, but it rejoins the main Vdlp in Ourense, I think). Sounds complicated but like a great adventure.

But what I suggest is that you contact the http://www.vialusitana.org and ask them. On their web page, there are several email addresses listed, with the flags to indicate which languages they speak. Helena is the go-to person for English speakers, though in my experience they all speak great English.

Good luck with this, keep us informed through the forum, because lots of us camino addicts eagerly await news of new ways to walk to Santiago. Bom caminho, Laurie

Hi Laurie
That was a quick reply.
I have walked from Porto twice, once the normal route and also to Vila Do Conde and then to Rates. So I would like to try a other route ( not pasing Porto) and just recived the latest edition of Brierley's guide that had some options - one being The Lamego Way - but no description.
I will try the link and see what it gives. :)

Bom Caminho :D
Robert

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Robert I had the same feeling about missing out Porto as well, it is an incredible city, but I wasnt keen on walking through it. When I saw the Caminho Lamego listed in Brierleys book I looked it up, from Coimbra it goes to Lamego, then you have 2 options, one route goes on to Braga and the other up to Chaves . Because of Fatima I would say both routes probably have blue arrows pointing in the opposite direction, and they may have as well waymarked them with yellow arrows as well.

A protocol was signed by the various districts it is passes through earlier this year to try and improve the infrastructure and signage on the route http://www.villaoliveira.com/?p=217. This does not say much, there is a downloadable document on it giving details of what was said. There is also http://www.dodouro.com/noticia.asp?idEdicao=354&id=24026&idSeccao=4035&Action=noticia It is still a long way from people going out and painting arrows on rocks and buildings. But because of my Fatima experience, I would not be suprised if there was some kind of yellow arrows out there.

Mike

The unmistakable sound of rumbling bandwagons. Strange way to get to Santiago!

According to http://www.vaipassear.com/novidades/eve ... o%E2%80%9D the Caminho Português do Interior de Santiago (not to be confused with the Caminho Português do Interior from Guimaraes/Braga) is marked "devidamente", whatever they mean by that.

Where did you see the reference to the Coimbra-Viseu and Lamego-Braga sections? Most of the links Google found for me refer only to a route from Viseu to the border at Vilarelho da Raia, though I did find http://campusstellae1.blogspot.com/2009 ... erior.html which describes route from Nisa, joining this route at Lamego. And I did find this map http://lobusdaestepe.files.wordpress.co ... t_novo.gif though to what extent that's real routes on ground or simply wishful thinking, I don't know.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Amsimoes,

Thanks for putting this information on the forum, I take it that you have some connection with the promotion of this route. I have a couple of questions, As a person who sees these developments from afar how will I be able to obtain any information on anything that happens ie. signage, accommodation? Will the various bodies involved only put out notices for their own region, or will there be a central point I can go to to obtain these details.

Mike

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Amsimoes,

Thanks for your reply. I hope you and all the many people who are re-establishing the various pilgrim routes( Santiago and Fatima) in Portugal have success in your various endeavours.

Mike

Hi Amsimoes,

I share Mike's enthusiasm for this effort -- I think we both would love to undertake the Caminho through Lamego. We are so lucky that there are people on the ground who want to help get these routes rolling again.

One thing is unclear to me, though -- will the route start in Viseu, or will there be some cross over from the Caminho south of Porto? It looks like peregrinos would want to turn off at some point -- maybe as early as Coimbra or later, near Albergaria or Agueda.

Bom caminho e obrigada! Laurie

peregrina2000 said:
Hi Amsimoes,

I share Mike's enthusiasm for this effort -- I think we both would love to undertake the Caminho through Lamego. We are so lucky that there are people on the ground who want to help get these routes rolling again.

One thing is unclear to me, though -- will the route start in Viseu, or will there be some cross over from the Caminho south of Porto? It looks like peregrinos would want to turn off at some point -- maybe as early as Coimbra or later, near Albergaria or Agueda.

Bom caminho e obrigada! Laurie

Hi Laurie, it just occurred to me that if they are preparing paths for Santiago and Fatima then there must be a bridge of signage between Coimbra and Viseu. They can leave a gap if they were just doing Santiago, but because of Fatima they have to extend it South Westerly until they meet existing waymarks.

Also if you wanted to turn straight north at Lamego(or just after it) and go to Braga you could use the GPS Co-ordinates from the Camino Torres site.

I wanted to do a simple straight forward camino for my next one, to do that you need to wear blinkers especially looking at this forum.

Mike

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ola Amsimoes
I am glad to see that the Lamego Way soon is coming to life.
I found a map that shows that the camino splits in Coimbra and also from the John Brierley guidebook : http://lobusdaestepe.files.wordpress.co ... t_novo.gif
I would imagine that the markings are the easy part. 8)
Albergues is an other story :shock:
I sincerly hope it all is posibly, until then my plan is to take the " normal" way :?

Bom Caminho :D

Robert

Sempre vai com os olhos abertos :wink:

Robert, I'm very interested to see how this goes. I'd love to see more of Portugal, and you've got me thinking.

Bom caminho

Rob

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Rob, I still need to confirm the marking and albergues but I hope that all is ready for july :)
If so, I´ll try to write back with my experince :D

Bom Caminho

Robert

Sempre vai com os olhos abertos

Just thought I would add something to this thread, something came along to remind me of it. I was going to walk from Viseu next week and that had been a plan for over a year when in February I read that there had been an agreement signed by local bodies to waymark the route from Albergaria a Velha to Viseu, this will take place in November. Not going to walk it now partly because I want to wait until after this and I found that I had a lot more time to walk. I would provide a link but there is just newspaper reports at the moment. My guess is that the route would be somewhere between 460-490 km long from the start, through Viseu to Verin and onto Santiago.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, Viranani,
Just to make sure you have seen this -- there is a sub-forum in the Caminho Portugues dedicated to the CPI, https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/camino-portugues-interior-route.163/

It does have some more recent updates. Gracethepilgrim walked this year and posted notes in REsources. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/categories/camino-portugues-interior.87/.

I believe Aurelio has mentioned that a forum member is walking now, and she may have a Facebook page, but I haven't seen it.

Several more of us are tempted to walk from Viseu -- it's definitely on my list, but the problem is that my list is very long!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well, I can't give you a paper map, but once you cut through the vocabulary, I think it's manageable. The confusion, for me at least, happens in two places -- one, north of Porto with all those variants between coastal and central routes. www.caminador.es

The other, from Lisbon, with its central route (the "normal camino"), the Caminho do mar, and the Caminho "Trilho das Areias, which goes along the coastline from Lisbon on up. http://trilho-das-areias.webnode.com

From Viseu to Chaves and on to Verin and the Sanabres -- that's the Caminho Portugues Interior.
http://www.cm-lamego.pt/turismo/caminhos-de-santiago.

And one more thing -- the Camino de Torres, from Salamanca to Ciudad Rodrigo and then up through Portugal, intersects with the CPI in Peso da Regua, and Aurelio has posted a map to show how that works. And it now has its own subforum too!

Are you getting ideas for 2017 Viranani?

Hello!

This is the Canadian lady just checking in from her last night before Santiago.

The CPI is amazing. Difficult! Do not discount the warnings of others of the hilly terrain. Being from an hour away from the Canadian Rocky Mountains I didn't think it would be an issue. Hahahaha!! Mind you, my first few days were battling +38C temperatures and my hometown might see 5 days of +30 in a year!

That being said the amazing sights, sounds and especially people of the interior of Portugal filled my heart with joy and energy. The albergues in Portugal were lovely, clean, and, for the most part, better equipped than the ones I've stayed in Spain.

I started in Viseu on September 3 and took my time as I will meet my husband at the cathedral in Santiago tomorrow, the 25th.

Grace the Pilgrim supplied me with her guide from October 2015. It was invaluable!! As was amsimoes' assistance. I have been jotting notes on top of Grace's and will send the file to anyone who wants it once I've transcribed my scribbles. Likely late October as hubby and I are returning to Portugal to enjoy two more weeks there.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi all,

Hubby and I will not be doing the CPI until 2018 (aaaargh the wait for the addicted). But reading and researching with all of your help is just incredible. Thank you all.

Connie and Adriano

Hello!

This is the Canadian lady just checking in from her last night before Santiago.

The CPI is amazing. Difficult! Do not discount the warnings of others of the hilly terrain. Being from an hour away from the Canadian Rocky Mountains I didn't think it would be an issue. Hahahaha!! Mind you, my first few days were battling +38C temperatures and my hometown might see 5 days of +30 in a year!

That being said the amazing sights, sounds and especially people of the interior of Portugal filled my heart with joy and energy. The albergues in Portugal were lovely, clean, and, for the most part, better equipped than the ones I've stayed in Spain.

I started in Viseu on September 3 and took my time as I will meet my husband at the cathedral in Santiago tomorrow, the 25th.

Grace the Pilgrim supplied me with her guide from October 2015. It was invaluable!! As was amsimoes' assistance. I have been jotting notes on top of Grace's and will send the file to anyone who wants it once I've transcribed my scribbles. Likely late October as hubby and I are returning to Portugal to enjoy two more weeks there.

Still planning to do this starting Aug 28 but it sounds pretty intimidating. I just downloaded wikilocs and am trying to learn it..

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back