• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Phone Plans

Jme

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning on walking the Camino.
Hi Guys,
Coming from Australia with plans to do the Camino next year. I've had a bit of a look around but was just hoping for a few more opinions on what people think is the best option in terms of a phone plan while in Spain (if it's a local sim do people have specific companies in mind?) I am a bit of an over preparer and would love any useful links to websites that possible offer Sim shipping from Spain so I can have it from day one :)
Thank you for any advice
Much appreciated!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A few years ago I bought an Orange PAYG sim and I top it up when I get to Madrid - it's a bit of a pain because I can't recharge it online (it won't accept a foreign credit card).

I've heard very good reports about Le French Mobile - which is now not just for France but also works in Spain and other EU countries. Here's the website:
http://www.lefrenchmobile.com

I've used both Orange and Vodaphone on the Camino Francés and Camino Portugués. I had no problems topping them up with cash at the Orange and Vodaphone stores in major cities along both routes.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Fellow aussie here, we used Lebara for our first camino (Frances) because they were giving free Sim cards at the Barajs airport. For Camino Portugues this year, we bought an Orange Sim card at theBarcelona airport (our entrance poinf to Europe).

All major Spain airports have shops that sell and recharge local Sims, so be confident that is an easy issue to deal with. Looking at prices, I do not think it is a good idea to get it beforehand in Australia, shipping costs are a bit ridiculous. As much as I understsnd the security of sorting it in advance, it is such an easy thing to sort out that it tends to be my first step to enter 'camino mode' - sorting each thing when it becomes necessary and not stressing with problems before they exist

I would advise against having a prepaid Spanish SIM shipped to AUS, they mark it up and also charge a fortune to mail it over.
Say you have one shipped over, you install it, it doesn't work, what is your recourse?
Wait till you get to Spain and visit the phone store, that way you can make sure it works before you leave the store

I did a Spanish SIM in 2011 and 2013, but in 2017 I found a plan in Canada that was $100 extra for the month. Kept my number and my texting used my iPhone like I was at home. Plans are changing so quickly, don't eliminate the possibility of having your home cell company come up with a roaming plan that is reasonable. [Note: My company paid the $100 so I may have fought harder for a discounted method if I was paying myself.]

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just go to the first shop you find in Spain. Consider that cards need some setting up, follow instructions (in Spanish!), etc. The clerk at the shop will do it for you while you browse a magazine or re-arrange your backpack.

Last edited:
Just to add - I had no end of problems with a prepay Vodafone sim this year. Although I recharged as normal in (supermarket, kiosko) and received the confirmation text, the actual recharge was not added to my sim number. In the end I had to ask a Phone Shop to assist. Apparently I needed to enter a code on my mobile to activate the recharge. In all my caminos I’ve never had such a complex plan. I won’t use Vodafone again.

I got the orange plan as I passed through the Madrid airport last year. I used it exclusively for data (internet) as I never could figure out how to make or receive phone calls with the number they gave me.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I got the orange plan as I passed through the Madrid airport last year. I used it exclusively for data (internet) as I never could figure out how to make or receive phone calls with the number they gave me.

You can pick up most any cell phone around the world and call back to the USA, I enter all my US numbers as +1(area code)number, for Spanish numbers, +34(number)

You can pick up most any cell phone around the world and call back to the USA, I enter all my US numbers as +1(area code)number, for Spanish numbers, +34(number)

Yeah, I guess I was able to call there but they couldn't call me on my new number, even with the area code. Not sure what we were doing wrong. I didn't want to talk on the phone anyway!

As @Bajaracer says, take the habit of storing your phone numbers in international format (ie +.....).
This will allow you to use them anywhere on the planet, as this format is known to all phone exchange.
As for the emergency number 112, which will be automatically translated and forwarded to the local police or emergency authority.

Buen Camino, Jacques-D.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.