• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My first Camino Route

Eswee

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese - Coastal (2017)
Primitivo (2019)
I will start my first Camino on 7 October 2017 from Porto. My route is as follows:

Day 1 (Senda Litoral) : Porto to Angeiras (Orbitur Campsite) : 25km
Day 2 (Senda Litoral) : Angeiras to Provoa de Varim (Albergue San Jose de Ribamar) : 16km
Day 3 (Coastal) : Provoa de Varim to Marinhas (Albergue de Marinhas) : 28km
Day 4 (Coastal) : Marinhas to Viana do Castelo (Albergue Sao Joao dos Caminhos) : 20km
Day 5 (Coastal) : Viana do Castelo to Caminha (Albergue de Caminha) : 29km
Day 6 (?) : Caminha to Valencia (Albergue São Tetónio) : 30km
Day 7 (Central) : Valencia to Mos (Albergue Santa Baia de Mos) : 29km
Day 8 (Central) : Mos to Arcade (Albergue O Lar de Pepa) : 19km
Day 9 (Central) : Arcade to Barro (Albergue de la Paróquia de Portela) : 21km
Day 10 (Central) : Barro to Padron (Albergue de Padrón) : 29km
Day 11 (Central) : Padron to Santiago : 25km.

Any comments, suggestions or advice?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
eswee,

Your route looks great!

In Viano do Castelo there are two wonderful places for food. The Casa Primavera/Taberna Soares is where local fisherman eat. Delicious huge portions and cheap; you can ask for a half order of anything. Busy at lunch with workers. More upmarket but with a simple daily menu is O Laranjeira. The dining room is handsome with white linen, the service friendly and the food creative and delicious. Splurge and visit both!

Do visit the Iron Age/Roman archeological site/museum at Citania de Santa Luzia on top of the famous hill in Viana do Castelo. The castro ruins are fascinating and the view up and down the coast breathtaking. Located just behind the pousada/ hotel and Santa Lucia church on the same hill you can take either a local bus or funicular to mount the hill.

Bom caminho!

Hi Eswee
Looks good.

If you haven’t seen it already check out the alternative route for Day 7 (Valencia to Mos):
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/the-alternative-route-into-porrino.42507/

Day 9: might be a good idea to carry a few supplies for your night in Barro, as there’s not much there, and family run businesses tend to close for a week or two or three, for all kinds of reasons, in the off-season.

I wish you wonderful weather!
Jill

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
eswee,

Your route looks great!

In Viano do Castelo there are two wonderful places for food. The Casa Primavera/Taberna Soares is where local fisherman eat. Delicious huge portions and cheap; you can ask for a half order of anything. Busy at lunch with workers. More upmarket but with a simple daily menu is O Laranjeira. The dining room is handsome with white linen, the service friendly and the food creative and delicious. Splurge and visit both!

Do visit the Iron Age/Roman archeological site/museum at Citania de Santa Luzia on top of the famous hill in Viana do Castelo. The castro ruins are fascinating and the view up and down the coast breathtaking. Located just behind the pousada/ hotel and Santa Lucia church on the same hill you can take either a local bus or funicular to mount the hill.

Bom caminho!
Thank you for your advice. I would love to eat the local's fish. I will try to visit the museum if I have time.

Hi Eswee
Looks good.

If you haven’t seen it already check out the alternative route for Day 7 (Valencia to Mos):
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/the-alternative-route-into-porrino.42507/

Day 9: might be a good idea to carry a few supplies for your night in Barro, as there’s not much there, and family run businesses tend to close for a week or two or three, for all kinds of reasons, in the off-season.

Jill
Is the alternative route the one which do not go through the industrial area?
Thanks for the warning about the albergue in Barro. I will try to contact them before I go (just to make sure they are open).

Is the alternative route the one which do not go through the industrial area?

Yes, it completely bypasses the industrial area.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Eswee
Looks good.

Jill
Hi Jill
Is there any nice places to eat close to the Albergue in Barro?

Hi Jill
Is there any nice places to eat close to the Albergue in Barro?

Hi, I don't know. I haven't been there, as it's slightly off-route. From Gronze:
https://www.gronze.com/galicia/pontevedra/portela/albergue-peregrinos-portela-barro

google translate says:

"For those who seek peace and spirituality. Camping area. You can order dinner at a nearby restaurant at a good price. A sacristan neighbor opens the church of San Mamede, which is next door, if anyone wants to visit."

But if the nearby restaurant is closed for any reason there is probably nothing else within walking distance.

Gronze says the albergue has a kitchen, so you can cook your own supper, but then you will have to have supplies with you!
Jill

Hi, I don't know. I haven't been there, as it's slightly off-route. From Gronze:
https://www.gronze.com/galicia/pontevedra/portela/albergue-peregrinos-portela-barro

google translate says:

"For those who seek peace and spirituality. Camping area. You can order dinner at a nearby restaurant at a good price. A sacristan neighbor opens the church of San Mamede, which is next door, if anyone wants to visit."

But if the nearby restaurant is closed for any reason there is probably nothing else within walking distance.

Gronze says the albergue has a kitchen, so you can cook your own supper, but then you will have to have supplies with you!
Jill
Thanks Jill. I think I will have my lunch in Pontevedra and buy me some snacks for the next morning. Thanks for the link to the Gronze.com site.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back