• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

VF Canterbury to Arras

Doogman

Time of past OR future Camino
?
Hello: A friend and I are considering walking the first bit of the Via Francigena from Canterbury to Arras in summer 2017. We would also be spending a few days touring WW1 battlefields. The plan would be to continue walking the route in sections over the next few years. While there seems to be a reasonable amount of information on the Italian sections of the VF, there is much less on these opening sections. Has anybody done this recently? Is it a good route in terms of scenery? Is there a lot of road walking? Busy roads? Any information you have on the actual trail would be great. Thanks in advance!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Not a bad route but tough finding food and accomodation, even on a bike. Plan well. Consider camping.

Hello: A friend and I are considering walking the first bit of the Via Francigena from Canterbury to Arras in summer 2017. We would also be spending a few days touring WW1 battlefields. The plan would be to continue walking the route in sections over the next few years. While there seems to be a reasonable amount of information on the Italian sections of the VF, there is much less on these opening sections. Has anybody done this recently? Is it a good route in terms of scenery? Is there a lot of road walking? Busy roads? Any information you have on the actual trail would be great. Thanks in advance!

Hi Doogman!
I walked that section of the VF from Canterbury to Arras in July 2014. I used the Alison Raju Cicerone guide and took a tent.
When you book accommodation, always ask if they can provide food or if there is a shop or somewhere to eat nearby, otherwise you'll go without. Oh and make sure they know you are walking, otherwise they may direct you to a restaurant in the nearest town which is miles away!

I'll pass on one tip that served me well: if you run out of water, look for a cemetary, there will always be a tap with drinking water available...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks again to everyone that responded and provided some advice on this thread last year. I am off to the UK on Friday night and will start the walk from Canterbury on Wednesday. Unfortunately I will be on my own, as my regular walking buddy recently had heart surgery, so he is not in much condition at this point to carry a backpack for long distances. I will report back when I am done to try to keep the information on the Forum current. Safe travels to everyone this summer!

Hi Doogman, I am so looking forward to hearing all about it. Are you taking a tent? I’ve written off the VF through France, as I cannot carry a tent, and I couldn’t possibly afford hotels every night. Hope it goes well.
Jill

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Doogman, I am so looking forward to hearing all about it. Are you taking a tent? I’ve written off the VF through France, as I cannot carry a tent, and I couldn’t possibly afford hotels every night. Hope it goes well.
Jill

Hi: Thanks! I will be staying in hotels and B&Bs. It seems that accommodation is fairly sparse along this part of the route so a tent would be a good idea for a longer trip. But I have not used a tent for quite a while. I think those days are over for me.

Hi
I've only just seen this thread ...
I did the VF last year , along the established route...
And didn't camp ( although I did sleep on the floor of a church !!)
Which guidebooks are you using ?
- I used Lightfoot guides , which had route info and accommodation details in them, also Confraternity of Pilgrims to Rome had an accommodation guide/ details ..

First tip ... get a 'day return' ticket on the ferry... its cheaper than a 'single' !!

Secondly campsites regularly have 'pilgrim accomodation' available at very reduced rates..although you'll still find it expensive compared to Portugal/Spain

Check for local associations who can help with accommodations , particularly across Northern France- I was passed along like a parcel !!

Good tip to always check that an evening meal/ breakfast is available - when you book anywhere ... otherwise you'll go hungry ( I did !!)

As for viewing the battlefields ... perfect , you walk through them !!

If there's anywhere in particular you struggle with, just send a message and I'll tell you where I stayed

Hi Jotown: Thanks for your message. I have the Cicerone guidebook and I have the route outlined on MAPS.ME, so that should hopefully be sufficient to get me to my destination each day. Since it is a relatively short trip (11 days of walking), and since accommodation seems sparse, I have pre-booked my accommodation each night. I'll try to prepare a summary once I get back to let everyone know how it went. That must have been quite a journey going all the way to Rome. I would like to do that, but it will have to be in sections.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You're well organised then !!

Enjoy , safe travels Bonne Chemin !!

Camping might still be an option, modern super light weight gear, tent, sleeping bag & mat can be under 2.5kg. With a small stove and pan + a few clothes you should be able to reduce a pack to 6-8kg. Obviuosly depends on season. Such gear is more pricey, but opens up the options. When I am out on a trip my pack for several days camping ( inc. food) weighs less than some folks day packs.

Most read last week in this forum

Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back