• We are struggeling with some issues with images and attachments not loading on the forum. This is some left-over problems from the other day. We have back-ups of everything, so nothing is lost, we just need to link things up again so that it works. In short, we are working on it. Sorry! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

All this talk about Aldi

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
all that talk inspired me to walk (of course) to the Melbourne CBD Aldi when I was over the ditch this week.
In the middle of the store is one row of non-food items. Some are camino-friendly. An elliptical trainer. A high vis vest. A very lightweight bag, also neon bright.
Perhaps less useful would be the clothesline. And big fluffy blanket. And frypan (although, come to think of it, that would be most useful in Galicia!)
I didn't buy anything. But I got a few miles in!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It's a weird store because you never know what you will find. I've seen zimmer frames and commode chairs, full drum kits and electric guitars, washing machines, lovely Colette Dinnegan children clothing and every sort of tool or kitchen gadget. But only in quantities that they hope will sell out within a week. So you can't count on anything. The hiking gear from two weeks ago is now all gone.

all that talk inspired me to walk (of course) to the Melbourne CBD Aldi when I was over the ditch this week.
In the middle of the store is one row of non-food items. Some are camino-friendly. An elliptical trainer. A high vis vest. A very lightweight bag, also neon bright.
Perhaps less useful would be the clothesline. And big fluffy blanket. And frypan (although, come to think of it, that would be most useful in Galicia!)
I didn't buy anything. But I got a few miles in!
But what about the chocolate....... :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Aldi-addicts come prepared. It takes a little practice, but that is worth the while. Simply check the website and look for the Special Buys. Don't know about Australia, but if you start following the German equivalent of the Aldi weekly offers in september, you will haver everything ready for Christmas at least week before, with no rush whatsoever. The best retail therapy ever.

As for now: From July 22: Peppa Pig and other books for young children.
From July 26 on it's Dutch Food Week in Australia!
Lovers of Dutch Salted Liquorice, Syrup Wafers and Chocolate Sprinkles, save the date and run to Aldi!

PS I can read and write all this thanks to my Aldi reading glasses. :cool:

I agree. We always look at the weekly specials to see if we are interested. Most of the time its stuff you're not interested in, but we have picked up our walking poles for €20 for the pair.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I feel like I just stumbled on a secret club. Actually, at first I thought it was Australian slang for something or other (a friend has recently been teasing me with expressions that make no sense to a pasty, white North American. What is this "Aldi"? Is it worth the effort to seek one out, if I am within 30 km? (I will be in Switzerland before my Camino, and could make a point of visiting one).

I went to Aldi today and bought a pair of wireless headphones, a bathmat, a dust pan and 'bamboo' broom, frozen scalloped potatoes, an eyeliner, a pan scraper and a Bratwurst!

....as you do!

Last edited by a moderator:
Locally we have Lidl and this can be a similar experience. I bought my first 30l rucksack there 17€ . I'd given up using it but then used it again for a few days walking in June. It was good! I've also bought walking socks there (good) waterproof jacket. Definitely worth checking out the bargain buys.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I went to Aldi today and bought a pair of wireless headphones, a bathmat, a dust pan and 'bamboo' broom, frozen scalloped potatoes, an eyeliner, a pan scraper and a Bratwurst!

....as you do!
I really liked the brooms!! It seems everything like that in NZ has to be brightly coloured - those ones were such lovely muted tones!
And the bratwurst (or was it bockwurst?) in a jar....we laughed over those the other day. When we were motorhoming around Europe they were one of our staple meats!! I still can't believe we ate them!

I really liked the brooms!! It seems everything like that in NZ has to be brightly coloured - those ones were such lovely muted tones!
And the bratwurst (or was it bockwurst?) in a jar....we laughed over those the other day. When we were motorhoming around Europe they were one of our staple meats!! I still can't believe we ate them!
Brooms R Good!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Locally we have Lidl and this can be a similar experience. I bought my first 30l rucksack there 17€ . I'd given up using it but then used it again for a few days walking in June. It was good! I've also bought walking socks there (good) waterproof jacket. Definitely worth checking out the bargain buys.
We are going to have one of the first US Lidl stores here in Beaufort, SC in the near future. Cannot wait.

A friend once said " if we didn't go to Lidl and buy all those things we didn't know we needed, we'd be rich!"
He had a point but I still love to pop in and browse the weekly offers.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Had the experience of visiting Huber (aldi) in Innsbruck 25 years ago! So when they finally arrived in USA? I was thrilled! There is a Lidl in the center of Logrono.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Forgive me if already in a thread somewhere, but any search for the above brings up basically every post ever written! Did anyone get to see the premiere? Dying to know what it's like as the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back