• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Husband getting late start

lisac

Camino Closner
Time of past OR future Camino
CF- 17
CF- 18
Planning CP- 23
My husband, son and I have been planning to begin our Camino from SJPDP on September 9th of this year. My husband just found out that he has a work obligation that will put him about a week behind my son and I. He would really like to complete the whole walk so he's thinking about walking from SJPDP to Roncesvalles then renting a bike to catch up with us. He'll have his backpack which would probably be difficult to manage on a bike but he could have it sent from town to town. Any thoughts or ideas for us?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There are transport services for his backpack. Here is one that I have seen recommended on the forum.
http://caminofacil.net/en/

Does your husband know if / where he can rent a bike for the Camino? Also where he can end and return the bike.

We are leaving SJPP on the same day. Hope to see you on the trail.

I have no experience (or interest) in bicycling on the Camino, and i prefer to be on the camino "alone"so my response will be prejudiced ;). I also have no idea if bikes would be available before Pamplona.

It seems to me that this would complicate things a lot. Remember that there is no "whole walk." With your suggested plan, you might be almost 2 weeks into your walk before he caught up. If you want to walk this "together" then he could join you faster by going straight to a meeting point. If you are happy with largely separate experiences, then have him work out the details as he goes. It is all possible!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I agree with @C clearly Just take it as it comes - You do not HAVE to walk together, actually it might be quite an interesting experience, especially if you have different walking speeds/preferred daily distances to walk separately. Buen Camino, SY

If you do want to walk together I can think of two other alternatives.
1. You walk short distances for that first week+ until he catches up with you (and he walks farther obviously)
OR (my preferred option)
2. You walk elsewhere first. Assuming you want to start together in SJPdP, you could walk the Baztan route from Bayonne, for example. Or do part of the Le Puy route.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Some good advice as usual from SY & C!
One very important question - how experienced a bike rider is husband? Here I mean both off-road and road riding on a very hilly and sometimes very busy highway (especially the N135 from Roncesvalles to Pamplona) (a quick look at Brierley will show what I mean). Another item - as Sept is likely to be a busy period if he rides "off-road" then I recommend riding at a speed where he can stop when he comes to (large) groups of pilgrims - on and use the BELL!

Most of the better bike rental companies will provide a bike for pick-up in Roncesvalles although they will almost, always, insist on you providing the name of a hotel/hostel rather than an albergue where the bike will be left (secured?) for him to pick-up after completing any additional paperwork. He might have to do some simple assembly as well! (Check with the company on this aspect!)
One other point - if he does end up renting ensure that he brings a very, very good lock to secure the bike each night. The companies usually provide cheap ones.

Bicycles and backpacks are generally unhappy companions. Even if a backpack is quite small it will be awkward to carry it on a bike. The centre of gravity and balance of the bike is dangerously impaired. This is why paniers are normally instead utilised.

I understand the desire to complete the entire Way, but it seems that cycling at a fast pace for a hundred and fifty kilometres or so in order to catch-up with someone would undermine the experience somewhat.

Maybe he could fly to Madrid, find-out where you are, and get on the next train to meet you.

Sounds quite romantic, actually!

Thanks everyone for your responses! I love the different perspectives and they are giving us good food for thought. We are really sitting on the thought for him to go to SJPDP and taking it a day at a time. He doesn't want to miss anything by being focused on catching up with us. So appreciate all of you!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I can't hear high frequencies. It feels like luck alone has left me and many fast cyclists uninjured. I'm not the only old codger with hearing issues on the camino. Tell him to get a bus, spend time together, safeguarding the hearing impaired is a saintly bonus.

Due to all the great thoughts on this thread, we really feel like this sudden change in his travel plans is part of his Camino experience. The idea that he will begin his walk alone feels good. He'll start in SJPDP as planned and make the decision each day as to whether he will walk that day or bus ahead to the next town. We'll keep in touch and he will eventually catch up. We talked about his focus not being on Ryan and I but on himself and what each day brings. He's stepping out of years upon years of a stressful work life, a life so many of us live in the US. This time alone will be incredibly valuable to his process and experience.

You all are champions in this adventure and we are so grateful for your insights! I've been planning this trip for two years. I've packed and unpacked my Osprey so many times over the past year. My pack sits by my bed ready to go with a packing cube on top with the clothes I'll be wearing when I leave my house. I'm counting the days until September 6th when I take off from this continent and land in Europe!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That sounds like a great decision, and is a indicator that you are already letting go of expectations and are adaptable to changes. Fron what you say, I think this sounds like a better plan than the original!
Thanks @C clearly ! I agree with you...a much better plan! :)

I agree, that having a first solo camino, is the best.

But will he be able to relax, and concentrate on living each day, rather than being obsessed with catching you? That will be the trick. I have walked with people who are goal oriented to get ahead, either because they have a timetable or because they want to catch up with people they have met along the way and from whom they have become separated. It tends to consume them, and they miss the opportunity to make connections with others on the path.

My suggestion is that if he does feel driven, he may be better to hop on a bus there and then and relax once he is with you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I would be like that. Wanting to catch up. Making it a thing. And losing all perspective. Being in the moment, mooching and musing, is the best bit. For me.
K
Its's a good warning.

Buen camino to you all. Sounds like your husband will be able to sort himself out a bit. Good for him. Do keep us abreast of this family adventure.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks again everyone for your thoughts. It really has been a journey already talking about how to work this out. We are going with the plan of him starting his Camino alone in SJPP and taking each day as it comes. I believe the alone time will be an important part of his time. So grateful to all!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.