• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My new pack. Show me yours!

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
So after deciding I'd "never walk the Camino again" last year, I tore the patches off and dumped my Arcteryx 30L backpack in a bus station rubbish can and walked away.

It really stunk to high heaven anyway, so not a huge loss.
But it had served me well for 10 years.
And when I think about it, I get a little teary eyed.

That said, that I've decided to walk again next season, I needed a new pack.
I had done some research and tried different packs in 2015.
I contacted Arcteryx and they no longer make my 30L top loader.
I wanted a small pack and I wanted a top loader.
I like being able to stuff my sleeping back down in the bottom and pack my nysil bags on top.

I decided on this one.
It's a Gregory Jade 28L pack.
Plenty big for the Camino.
Another top-loader -
Not quite as streamlined, but small enough to carry on.

I'm in love with it!
Now to decorate it!

12742031_1573680439619391_4601487586375946209_n.jpg Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 2.54.12 PM.png

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A bus station rubbish bin!! How could you? My retired packs live a quiet life in my garage, and sometimes come out for a day walk to remind me what I liked about them or not as the case might be.

I know.
I know.
I was just soooo depressed :(
I'm greatly sorry now.. but too late.:(

Anni,
Do you pack a sleeping bag? And I'm assuming 1 change of clothes wearing 1 set of clothes. What coat do you wear? Thanks

Anni,
Do you pack a sleeping bag? And I'm assuming 1 change of clothes wearing 1 set of clothes. What coat do you wear? Thanks

I cut the hood and zipper out of my down sleeping bag so it's just a down blanket. You can also buy NICE lightweight down blankets at REI. I saw them this week and they were VERY tempting.

I take one change of clothes and the only jacket I take is a Marmot windbreaker and my ALTUS poncho.
I usually buy a large men's merino wool sweater, wash it in a HOT washer and HOT dryer to felt it and use that instead of a jacket.
It's featherweight and pretty much waterproof.

You can see what I pack on my Facebook page called Pilgrims Helping Pilgrims. I just posted photos of my packing list today.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
set a permanent search on ebay for the same rucksack and it will appear. I've too many rucksacks to list ( 7 or 8 + the Mrs has half a dozen. ) They are like the perfect outfit. If you can just find it it will make your life complete.

felted wool is great stuff. Swanndri make some everlasting jackets out of it but it is quite heavy.

So after deciding I'd "never walk the Camino again" last year, I tore the patches off and dumped my Arcteryx 30L backpack in a bus station rubbish can and walked away.

I like being able to stuff my sleeping back down in the bottom and pack my nysil bags on top.

I decided on this one.
Another top-loader -

I'm in love with it!
Now to decorate it!

View attachment 35065 View attachment 35066

We have been passing down/recycling our backpacks to our grandchildren, cheaper than buying them new ones that way. I will say this about backpack sizing, it depends how big you are as to how big it will be. I am 6'1'' tall and 240lbs., my clothes are far bigger than that of a man who 5'8'' and 150lbs. Bigger person = bigger pack. I have a 48L Osprey Kestrel I just bought a few months ago for our upcoming Camino Frances in August which is downsized from a 65L external frame pack. My pack is full and everything in it is minimal and light weight tech clothing, but medicines, diabetic testing kit, first aid kit (homemade and minimal) and such add up. I was on another website where a fellow said his backpack did not exceed 6lbs (not kilos) and he said he has thousands of of miles hiking experience. He posted a photo of those things in his pack which when I looked were not much less than mine. I have become a cynic when people tout how light their pack is especially in the single digits. I have been through my bag at a minimum a 100 times looking how to minimize what I carry and after all this my pack is just at 9 kilos/19lbs. How I wish I was 5'8'' ! Apparently, you are light years ahead of me in packing for the trail, but I am learning :)

Buen Camino Annie and thanks for the info !

We have been passing down/recycling our backpacks to our grandchildren, cheaper than buying them new ones that way. I will say this about backpack sizing, it depends how big you are as to how big it will be. I am 6'1'' tall and 240lbs., my clothes are far bigger than that of a man who 5'8'' and 150lbs. Bigger person = bigger pack. I have a 48L Osprey Kestrel I just bought a few months ago for our upcoming Camino Frances in August which is downsized from a 65L external frame pack. My pack is full and everything in it is minimal and light weight tech clothing, but medicines, diabetic testing kit, first aid kit (homemade and minimal) and such add up. I was on another website where a fellow said his backpack did not exceed 6lbs (not kilos) and he said he has thousands of of miles hiking experience. He posted a photo of those things in his pack which when I looked were not much less than mine. I have become a cynic when people tout how light their pack is especially in the single digits. I have been through my bag at a minimum a 100 times looking how to minimize what I carry and after all this my pack is just at 9 kilos/19lbs. How I wish I was 5'8'' ! Apparently, you are light years ahead of me in packing for the trail, but I am learning :)

Buen Camino Annie and thanks for the info !
I wouldn't be that unhappy getting the bare pack weight down to 9 kg in these circumstances. Its certainly seems to be well under 10% of your current weight if you believe that is a good rule of thumb. Even with a litre of water and perhaps an allowance of 500 gm for food, you would be around 10.5 kg, still under 10% of your current weight. Of course, if you can trim the weight more, do. It is always better to walk with a lighter load.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
felted wool is great stuff. Swanndri make some everlasting jackets out of it but it is quite heavy.

Not if you find the right sweater. I felt wool for many projects. A lightweight men's merino sweater weighs just ounces when felted. Mine is much lighter than a windbreaker.

Are you going to add your old patches on your new pack? Post pictures if you do please. Your old one looked so cute :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Annie,

That is a beautiful pack now that you have decorated it properly. I'm so glad you decided to walk again, I couldn't believe it when you said you were done walking.

Buen Camino!

I bought a AUD$29.99 Aldi one at the recent sales but it doesn't matter as I am NEVER walking the Camino again! It is a nice aquamarine and could fit many cosmetics in all its cute little pockets. ;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If this is an Ice Breaker, which one do you used for this?

I just purchase a Merino Wool men's sweater, a LARGE, nice soft lightweight one.
I take it home, plop it in the hot washing machine and hot dryer, and voila!
A featherweight, water resistant, WARM as heck, top layer.

Annie,

That is a beautiful pack now that you have decorated it properly. I'm so glad you decided to walk again, I couldn't believe it when you said you were done walking.

Buen Camino!

Ahhhh, but the beautiful one is the one I discarded!
I still have to decorate the new one.. but I did keep the patches! :)
When I said I'd never walk the Camino again, you could hear the roar of laughter from Portland, Oregon all over the world! roflol!

I'm using the Gregory Maven 35l right now on the Camino (3 days from Santiago!) and I've been very happy with it! I hope your new Gregory will be a good replacement for your old pack. And how exciting that you are walking again. Good luck and Buen Camino!

I wouldn't be that unhappy getting the bare pack weight down to 9 kg in these circumstances. Its certainly seems to be well under 10% of your current weight if you believe that is a good rule of thumb. Even with a litre of water and perhaps an allowance of 500 gm for food, you would be around 10.5 kg, still under 10% of your current weight. Of course, if you can trim the weight more, do. It is always better to walk with a lighter load.
Just want to point out that "The rule of thumb" is based on an archaic law that stated, "A man shall use the width of his thumb to dictate the width of the switch he may legally use to beat his wife and children."
It's a pet peave of mine and I'm hoping we can come up with alternatives to said vernacular.

My new baby. My other one pressed on my new hip and gave me great pain.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just want to point out that "The rule of thumb" is based on an archaic law that stated, "A man shall use the width of his thumb to dictate the width of the switch he may legally use to beat his wife and children."
It's a pet peave of mine and I'm hoping we can come up with alternatives to said vernacular.

I believe that to be a false etymology, if you do some research. It was never law. The rule of thumb has been used to measure beer, edible plants, and wood carving, among other things.

Yesterday in another forum, I found a woman who had ordered an Arcteryx Brize pack. I knew about it because when I wrote Arcteryx asking if they still carried the pack I loved, they suggested it. But I was skeptical. I found out there is an Arcteryx shop in Portland, Oregon! So I had them hold their last black Brize and I'm going to take a look at it today. It's a 32L top loader. Very sleek looking. I may still change packs. We'll see.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-22 at 7.22.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-22 at 7.22.56 AM.png
    119.4 KB · Views: 51
This version of the origin of the phrase appears to have been disproven by two things:
  1. No such law or legal principle actually existed; and
  2. The phrase itself has been identified in English use before the first satirical reference to the otherwise non-existent principle was made in English literature.
It appears more likely to have arisen as a reference to the use of approximations in building trades.

Even had it originated as you describe, it certainly has long lost any such meaning, and would join the plethora of English words and phrases which are acceptable in colloquial use today, having lost the unsavoury associations of their origin. It appears to me a quixotic endeavour to object to their use in modern English.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

New to me, here in Europe we know it as the Daumenregel https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daumensprung a quick and easy method to judge distances. Sorry, no time to translate the text, but the graphics illustrate the principle. From that method developed then the more general meaning of 'rule of thumb' as something that is approximately right, but not 100% correct.
Buen Camino, SY

I bought a AUD$29.99 Aldi one at the recent sales but it doesn't matter as I am NEVER walking the Camino again! It is a nice aquamarine and could fit many cosmetics in all its cute little pockets. ;)
There are many of us on this forum that have vowed we'll "never walk the Camino again".

I said those very words to the nice young man who gave my my 5th Compostela last year.

His response was "See you next year then!"

Peeve ;) How about "I don't know, I'm just guessing but . . . "

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
New to me, here in Europe we know it as the Daumenregel https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daumensprung a quick and easy method to judge distances. Sorry, no time to translate the text, but the graphics illustrate the principle. From that method developed then the more general meaning of 'rule of thumb' as something that is approximately right, but not 100% correct.
Buen Camino, SY
I was taught something similar while doing a coastal navigation course - I understand it comes from an ancient arabian method using a Kamel.
Many years ago I heard of an interesting measurment from southern Germany . . . a day's work.
It turned out to be the amount of land a man with two horses could plough between sunrise and sunset!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I decided on this one.
Another top-loader -

I'm in love with it!
Now to decorate it!

View attachment 35065 View attachment 35066
Great pack. I have downsized for my upcoming Camino. I have learnt the hard way that last time my backpack was too big. Where do you buy those patches?

Annie...
Ellie has used the Jade 28 since 2009.
Many Caminos and km on that pack. She has no intention of changing packs...but it may just have to be retired one of these years.

Added..she also used the Pacer Poles she bought from you many years ago for one year and then resold them and purchased new carbon Pacer Poles to save weight.
She would not walk without her Pacers.

Annie...
Ellie has used the Jade 28 since 2009.
Many Caminos and km on that pack. She has no intention of changing packs...but it may just have to be retired one of these years.

Added..she also used the Pacer Poles she bought from you many years ago for one year and the resold them and purchased new carbon Pacer Poles to save weight.
She would not walk without her Pacers.

Hahaha! I just bought new poles today! The Carbon ones!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have used the Gregory Jade in a size 30 something for my Caminos. I chose it over an Osprey that I exchanged for the Gregory. It's been real good to me.
Did I miss how you decorate? Your pack was very pretty, what are the dots, paint? embroidery?... I can't tell.
I bought all the kiddos each a ULA circuit, they did them well too.

I have used the Gregory Jade in a size 30 something for my Caminos. I chose it over an Osprey that I exchanged for the Gregory. It's been real good to me.
Did I miss how you decorate? Your pack was very pretty, what are the dots, paint? embroidery?... I can't tell.
I bought all the kiddos each a ULA circuit, they did them well too.

I put on patches, then decorated with puff paint.
It was fun.
I'm planning on decorating my new pack the same way!
Makes it easy to connect with forum members. :)

Not if you find the right sweater. I felt wool for many projects. A lightweight men's merino sweater weighs just ounces when felted. Mine is much lighter than a windbreaker.
How many sizes does felting the garment change, smaller?

I think it is a fantastic idea though at first I cringed inside, but anyone who has worn a lovely merino sweater in the wind, might suddenly find, the felting idea, acceptable.

I am 6'1'' tall and 240lbs., my clothes are far bigger than that of a man who 5'8'' and 150lbs. Bigger person = bigger pack
I do beg to differ :D
I'm 5'11" and about 210 lbs (mostly size XL, some XXL), and I have no problems getting my pack below 5 kg, even with quite a few luxury items thrown in. I have a 34 liter pack, carry a sleeping bag, a full set of extra clothes, and my crocs inside the bag, and still have plenty of room left over for food and the cardboard tube with the Compostela/Fisterrana/Muxiana, etc..

as I am NEVER walking the Camino again!
Been there too, but that feeling never seems to last very long, and before I know it, I'm feeling the call of the siren again. The Camino seems to resonate with something inside of me.

And somehow, I seem to manage to save for yet another Camino.

I put on patches, then decorated with puff paint.
It was fun.
I'm planning on decorating my new pack the same way!
Makes it easy to connect with forum members. :)
My girls would love to do this, I'd take this private but others might want to know. How is the integrity of the puff paint , does it chip or does it remain looking nice.

Please keep the replies on the original topic...discussion of Facebook pros and cons should be taken to private messages.

Thanks for staying on the original subject...

I'm not sure I understand this warning. But since the OP showed my decorated pack, I"m assuming this is the original subject.

The puff paint worked great - stayed on for several years.
I'll use it again!

How many sizes does felting the garment change, smaller?

I think it is a fantastic idea though at first I cringed inside, but anyone who has worn a lovely merino sweater in the wind, might suddenly find, the felting idea, acceptable.

Well, it's sort of a hit/miss thing.
I try to find an XL man's sweater.
I'm 5'3 and 165 right now, so I wear a L woman's size, but by the end of each season I'm in Mediums.
But since the sweater is an over-garment and I usually peel it off pretty soon after I start walking, it doesn't really matter that it's large.
You can stop the felting process at any point - if you check it regularly.
Those Spanish machines though, will REALLY shrink it up. I had one that I felted here at home and wore for 2 Caminos.
At the end of the two I spent a few days in Santiago where a kind lady landlord offered to do my laundry.
When she finished with my sweater, it was the size for a 5 year old! ::laughing::
She was horrified.
I just laughed and told her I'd make another one.
So you CAN over felt it...but you'd have to use boiling water.

So I went to Arcteryx and tried on their "BRIZE" pack.
I found it to be absolutely unsuitable (in my opinion) for the Camino.
It was the perfect size, nice waist belt, BUT no way to adjust the shoulder straps, which meant the pack, if fully loaded, would pull back and possible even pull you off balance on some hills.
I find I adjust those shoulder straps for hills as well as for heat/cooling.
A shame really, but I'm happy with my new Jade pack :)

Well, it's sort of a hit/miss thing.
I try to find an XL man's sweater.
I'm 5'3 and 165 right now, so I wear a L woman's size, but by the end of each season I'm in Mediums.
But since the sweater is an over-garment and I usually peel it off pretty soon after I start walking, it doesn't really matter that it's large.
You can stop the felting process at any point - if you check it regularly.
Those Spanish machines though, will REALLY shrink it up. I had one that I felted here at home and wore for 2 Caminos.
At the end of the two I spent a few days in Santiago where a kind lady landlord offered to do my laundry.
When she finished with my sweater, it was the size for a 5 year old! ::laughing::
She was horrified.
I just laughed and told her I'd make another one.
So you CAN over felt it...but you'd have to use boiling water.
I have only ever felted garments by mistake before, so I would love to be in control for once! :rolleyes:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Jeff - Otherwise known, in these parts, as an acre.
Now THAT caught my interest (and it's a cold, wet and windy day here) and a bit of Googling came up with:

"A furlong - furrow-long - used to be how far a pair of horses could pull a plough before they got tired and stopped - further in sandy soil than in heavy clay."

"The double furrow ploughs turn over 2 1/2 acres per day; and the single furrow 1 1/8 acre per day; the former worked by three to four horses, and the latter by two horses."

"The normal walking speed of a draft horse is 2.5 miles per hour or 220 feet per minute." (Much like a Pilgrim then)

"It took a farmer an hour and a half to till an acre of ground with five horses and a gang plow. With a 27-horsepower tractor and a moldboard plow, it took only a half-hour to plow an acre and only 15 minutes with a 35-horsepower tractor and a moldboard plow. Today, using a 154-horsepower tractor and a chisel plow, a farmer can till an acre in five minutes."

A digression from the OP but, like I said, it's a cold, wet and windy day here!

I know there are no stupid questions, but I have one. :p

Does sewing patches onto backpacks lead to a bigger chance of a bit of water leaking in? I have a new Osprey pack, and sat with needle & thread in hand, about to sew on a small Canadian flag patch, and I decided not to. I figured it would just lead to leaking...but as I'm typing this, I think I can answer it myself. That was rain covers are for...or ponchos if you're into those.

I dunno...I just couldn't bring myself to poking holes in my new backpack. :eek:)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Does sewing patches onto backpacks lead to a bigger chance of a bit of water leaking in? I have a new Osprey pack, and sat with needle & thread in hand, about to sew on a small Canadian flag patch, and I decided not to. I figured it would just lead to leaking...but as I'm typing this, I think I can answer it myself. That was rain covers are for...or ponchos if you're into those.

I dunno...I just couldn't bring myself to poking holes in my new backpack. :eek:)
I think the answer is that if you sew onto a waterproof pack and puncture the waterproof membrane, that will increase the prospect of water getting in. You could seal the sticking. For other fabrics, I suspect it won't make much difference, and you might already be considering a rain cover, etc. While it doesn't seem that common on the camino, using a waterproof liner bag is another option, although the couple that I have are relatively heavy, and I have never used them on the Camino.

The last option that I can think of is to glue the patch on, which I have also done with varying degrees of success. Out of three patches applied this way, two are still in place. I used a simple craft glue gun for this.

I have a belt-and-braces approach to keeping my gear dry. Anything susceptible to damp goes inside roll-top dry bags or plastic pouches before being stowed away. I also spray my rucksack with a good quality waterproofing agent about once a year to keep it moderately showerproof. And I also carry a raincover for foul weather which gets sprayed with proofing at the same time as my rucksack. If I sewed anything on to my rucksack I think I would apply a hefty dose of waterproofer on the reverse side covering the stitching.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My Osprey pack has a mesh type pocket that is outside of the main part of the pack. My patch is sewn on to this outer pocked so it does not compromise the integrity of the pack. Maybe yours is similar?

Thanks for all the comments on sewing patches. Mike, my Osprey doesn't have any mesh....well it does on the side a bit, but not where I'd put a patch.

Since I'm only putting maybe 1 or 2 patches at most on, I can't see it affecting the integrity of the pack, and as suggested above, I'll try some sort of sealant where I've stitched. If it rains, the pack will be covered.

All good. Thanks for the feedback.

I had the same qualms myself but the tiny punctures don't seem to have been a problem.
Mind you, if the rain goes Galician on me I reach for the poncho.
Now here's a thought, kill two birds with one stone - a Canadian flag poncho! I've seen tourists in London with Italian and Japanese ones so surely there must be a maple leaf one out there?

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.