• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First timer.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Terry, and welcome to this Forum.

Nothing to be nervous about, though being nervous is perfectly respectable and common to most of us. I still get nervous in the run-up to the next one. Had a full blown panic attack at Paddington on my first venture. Got lost in StJdP, had to sit and reconsider at Arneguy and arrived in Valcarlos in a muck-sweat. Where a very friendly barman called the Hospitalera to get the access code for the Albergue, poured me a beer and told me I would be fine. He was right, I was.

And as a by-the-by at that time I was a veteran long-distance hiker, trekker and familiar with Spain since the 1960's.

There's something about the camino that gets under your skin. Hey, if you weren't nervous I would suggest that you haven't thought about this enough yet ;)

Buen camino peregrino

Welcome Terry, of course you are nervous; it is your first Camino, there are so many unknowns, and you want everything to go well. Rest assured this is normal and shows that walking the Camino is important to you and has some meaning for you. Enjoy the feeling and the experience. Many thousands walk each year and many thousands survive it and I would guess most of those look back at it as a positive experience. Many people enjoy it so much that they end up going back and walking again.

I wish you safe travels and Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Terry - I just finished the CF yesterday (still in Santiago right now)! Nerves are definitely to be expected at first, but don't worry, you'll get into the routine, you'll realize you really can do it, and you will meet some wonderful people. Your nerves will happily be replaced by talking with your new Camino friends about all types of foot issues. Have fun and buen Camino!

First time pilgrim first time writing.

I will be doing the CF from SJPDP, August 17th
A bit nervous I must admit.
Hi Terry, I felt the same way last year. Was wondering if this was the right thing to do. My experience tells me that it was the right thing to do. Was it hard? Yes. The kindness of other pilgrims, Hospitaleros, and the Spanish people was phenomenal. I liked it so much that my wife and I are planning to return in December.
Phil

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Terry
I remember being completely terrified the night before setting off to such an extent i didnt sleep a wink and was relieved to set off ,
Go with it all will work out in the long run , enjoy yourself open yourself to everything the Camino offers .
Buen camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Well, maybe not. My plans are to leave for France on May 4th, stay overnight in Paris, train to St. jean, and begin the Camino! and Thursday I came down with covid. and yes, it did indeed put me...
Ten years ago to the day, I returned home from walking the Camino Frances. People asked me if I would do it again, and I said absolutely. I thought I'd be going back in "3 to 4 years." Obviously...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back