• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"Couchsurfing" for pilgrims only

Emia

Hola amigas y amigos!

Maybe this is just another one of my very bad, useless and impractical ideas. But sometimes you win and sometimes you loose, so I'll give it a try anyway.

This is such an adorable and lovely community with english speaking members from all over the world.

I have this dream :)

To open our hearts AND our private homes for fellow pilgrims. I haven't really thought about the logistics, the rules, the agreements etc. yet. I can only speak for myself, but I would be delighted to host one or two fellow pilgrims for a couple of days. I live in a very small village in Germany, but there is a trainstation and you can walk for days on end through the woods.

The pilgrims buy their own tickets (bus, train, plane), but the host pays for bed, bath and bread. Maybe Wolfstein/Germany isn't really the place to be :oops: but I would love to welcome some fellow pilgrims.

Any reactions/ideas/feedback?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Like Rebekah says; the moment when you make such an initiative " formal " all kind of issues emerge.
Friends of friends know they can call me when they need a couch here. And I accidentally met a pilgrim on my local road some years ago and I stopped her and she stayed the night in our house.
So my advice is : just go with the flow...
Don't forget that local confraternities of St James already have local chapters where ex pilgrims open their houses for long distance pilgrims. This is the case already in Holland and here in Belgium. Also France and I guess many other countries too.

Here in France there is a often a Chain of Local ( donativo ) Hospitality offered for passing pilgrims. See more in French here.
Those who offer such hospitality do so for the pleasure of meeting/greeting pilgrims as well as helping them find their way.

For example my husband and I live in a small Champagne village, facing the Marne river.
We have a b & b but now also provided simple family hosting for passing pilgrims. My first pilgrim shell hangs at our door marking the path.

Check to see if such a Chain of Local Hospitality/ l'Accueil pèlerins à domicile exists where you might wish to travel in France.

Good luck, Bon chemin and Buen camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I also did couchsurfing in Lillehammer and Trondheim in 2015 for a total of 5 nights. It was my first true couchsurfing experience and the experience turned me into a welcoming host at my end of the world. Though it was through the Couch surfing app, it was with other pilgrims who also needed a place to stay and both hosts welcomed us, learned about the pilgrimage, and shared around the dining table. I remember those nights fondly.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola amigas y amigos!

Maybe this is just another one of my very bad, useless and impractical ideas. But sometimes you win and sometimes you loose, so I'll give it a try anyway.
Maybe Wolfstein/Germany isn't really the place to be :oops: but I would love to welcome some fellow pilgrims.

I'm thinking you mean outside of camino walking. I think it's a great idea! Maybe Ivar could set up a place where folks could offer or look for a place. We have been couchsurfers and hosted, and any from this Forum would be welcome to stay at our country place in Central Texas. We will be walking the Portuguese mid October through November, with a couple of weeks afterwards for visiting Madrid, Lourdes and Paris. It would be great to meet fellow pilgrims in these places. Too bad we're not coming to Germany (this time!).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Okay, I get your point
Thank you for opening your door to your fellow pilgrims, you have a good heart. Here is a short sea story for you. About four decades ago I showed up to register for a full marathon and had no place to sleep [the race was the next morning], a total stranger [good Samaritan] did offer me a ride and a place to stay for the night at his home, very early the next morning he gave me a ride to the starting line. We ran the 42km marathon. That good Samaritan finished in first place overall. The Lord helps those with a good heart. Good luck y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

So did anything come of this? Was there a folder created for it?
Not that I know of. It just ended like this. As I remember there were few doubts about that and all was left for our own initiative to connect in private conversations on offer a bed etc.

Hola amigas y amigos!

This is such an adorable and lovely community with english speaking members from all over the world.

I have this dream :)

To open our hearts AND our private homes for fellow pilgrims. I haven't really thought about the logistics, the rules, the agreements etc. yet. I can only speak for myself, but I would be delighted to host one or two fellow pilgrims for a couple of days. I live in a very small village in Germany, but there is a trainstation and you can walk for days on end through the woods.

The pilgrims buy their own tickets (bus, train, plane), but the host pays for bed, bath and bread. Maybe Wolfstein/Germany isn't really the place to be :oops: but I would love to welcome some fellow pilgrims.

Great idea but personally would have to pass. My wife is very tolerant of me going back to the camino but she might get a bit upset if I told her I was off again to Germany. Would love to though :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back