• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Smartphone vs. camera - how to carry the camera?

Mettchen

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (sep 2017), Primitivo (aug 2018)
Hi guys

I have been lurking and searching the forum for years - seems that almost whatever question I have thrown at Google, it has let me here :)

I apologize if I have picked the wrong group for my post. Thought about the mobile/tablet one, but my question is more camera-related, so... Also tried searching for answers for weeks, and finally caved in and here I am :)

I am heading for my first Camino (CF) in a few weeks - and I am still contemplating on whether to bring my camera or just my (smart)phone. My camera is not a big DSLR, but also not a pocket camera... I would prefer to bring my camera - both to take better pictures, but also to not grab for my phone all the time (though I can turn notifications off to not be distracted by msg etc. whenever I want to take a picture).

My issue is - I do NOT want to bring my camera if I will have to carry it in my backpack (do not want to depend on stopping and unloading/loading whenever I wanna take a picture). So, I will only bring my camera if I can find a clever and easy-access kind of way of carrying it. Do you have any ideas/suggestions?

I have a not too big case for it that has a sorta "belt strap" on it. So I could attach it to a fanny pack or perhaps even the hip-belt of my backpack? Has anyone tried that (with success)?

Or how about a slide/string-strap thingie to carry under the backpack, could that work?

Any suggestions - or perhaps I will just stick to my smartphone...
Thank you in advance for any help / ideas you might have.

Buen camino :)
Mettchen

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi guys

I have been lurking and searching the forum for years - seems that almost whatever question I have thrown at Google, it has let me here :)
<SNIPPED to save space>

Mettchen
The Camera I bought was an ACTIVEON CX Action Camera Camcorder with 2"LCD Screen. got it for a bit under 50 Dollars U.S. (here in the U.S.) ... also got a chest harness for it for about 5 Dollars. I've never tested to see if I can wear the harness AND the backpack at the same time ... the only issue I have with it is that video seems to use up quite a bit of space on the micro SD card ... pictures use up a reasonable amount of memory (depending on resolution) ... haven't tested the battery on how long a full charge will last ... you could I suppose attach it to your walking stick? unsure how long it takes to switch on from sleep state ... the woman behind the counter told me that it can accommodate a 64Gb micro SD card, but no where on the instructions does it say it can do this, so I bought a couple of 32Gb micro SD cards instead ... Camera comes with it's own weather proof case ...
NOTE: if a video memory file is too large, you may have issues uploading it or emailing it to someone ...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi guys

I apologize if I have picked the wrong group for my post. Thought about the mobile/tablet one, but my question is more camera-related, so... Also tried searching for answers for weeks, and finally caved in and here I am :)

I am heading for my first Camino (CF) in a few weeks - and I am still contemplating on whether to bring my camera or just my (smart)phone. My camera is not a big DSLR, but also not a pocket camera... I would prefer to bring my camera - both to take better pictures, but also to not grab for my phone all the time (though I can turn notifications off to not be distracted by msg etc. whenever I want to take a picture).

My issue is - I do NOT want to bring my camera if I will have to carry it in my backpack (do not want to depend on stopping and unloading/loading whenever I wanna take a picture). So, I will only bring my camera if I can find a clever and easy-access kind of way of carrying it. Do you have any ideas/suggestions?

I have a not too big case for it that has a sorta "belt strap" on it. So I could attach it to a fanny pack or perhaps even the hip-belt of my backpack? Has anyone tried that (with success)?

Or how about a slide/string-strap thingie to carry under the backpack, could that work?

Mettchen

Doesn't weight over ride the question? How heavy are things? When the weight of the camera takes its toll do you leave it?

Hi Mettchen...the struggles of a pilgrim..haha..!!

I walked the CF last year with only my iphone 6 and was very pleased with the quality of the photos. I had it in a lifeproof case and it slipped into my pocket as per normal. However I also had what I call a bum bag which you may call a fanny pack.....a small bag that hangs usually in the front with a belt around the waist, this worked really well for all sorts of things like water bottle, ear phones, pain relief, snacks, cash, so a camera would probably be fine in there. I did meet others that had massive SLR's and didn't complain about the extra weight....but i'm sticking with my iphone again for this years Camino.

Great thoughts,
Mark

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
20170422_020457.jpg I carry a small compact Canon in a pouch that is connected by a single carabineer to the front straps of my back pack. The camera is accessible in seconds, is protected in the pouch from damage and all but the heaviest rains. Unless your camera is easily accessible, you will likely not take that many pictures after the first few days. I witnessed a few people dropping their pack to get out an Ipad every time they wanted a picture. Also, as good as cameras are getting in smart phones, they are still not at the level of a decent compact camera and not even close to a full size DLSR

Forgot to mention, the camera cannot be attached to a selfie stick IF its inside the weather proof case ... it cannot be screwed on. Unsure if this feature is similar in other cameras - I've never really quite had a digital camera such as this one ... it's almost cheap enough to be lost/misplaced/stolen - just as long as the memory card is backed up somewhere else .

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think my best choice was when I didn't take a camera and I didn't take a phone. Instead I decided to take ten minutes a day every day, to stop and memorise a scene. I ended up doing it a few times a day. I can still see, hear, and smell those moments in the valleys and amongst the buildings in my mind's eye*. The ringing of bells and the rustle of wind, the buzz of a distant moped, always there.

I know this is not a fashionable view but I feel that mediating your life digitally distances you from your lived experience.

I carried my small 'point and shoot' camera in this case round my neck. It also has a back loop to fit the rucksack belt. However I felt it was more secure worn across my body (over one shoulder and across to hang at the side not just round neck) under my backpack straps.
(Edit:- For quick access only do up the zip not the clip)

Last edited:
Hi guys

Mettchen
Hi Mettchen,

Since my Camino, I bought one of these, it's the answer to all my prayers: https://www.peakdesign.com/product/clips/capture/
With it I clip my Olympus EM-1 micro four/thirds mirrorless to my pack strap at chest level. It's super-light, camera weight is almost not noticeable. Clip fastened to camera slots into a gizmo clamped to backpack strap, removal is quick-release, camera slots back in instantly. I keep the medium zoom on the camera, two more in backpack.

I had same problems as you mention while on Camino last year. I missed many shots, mostly in the rain when poncho made pack access a pain. Tried carrying camera with a neck strap but very annoying, especially under poncho. I had a neoprene case on the camera but it kept swinging against my walking pole, abrasive upper section of pole tore through the case. Peak Design also makes a thin, tough, weatherproof camera pouch - I also have one of these so camera is not so visible all the time. See their product videos.

The only downside, IMHO: Camera suddenly flops dangerously/expensively if you take off your pack with camera still clipped to the pack-strap.

Good luck, Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was so glad I brought a small camera. I carried it in a waist pack (worn in the front), along with snacks and water. The camera was waterproof and easy to use with one hand. My phone is not waterproof and I can't take an adequate picture without using two hands. Since I was using walking sticks, taking one-handed photos was much easier and quicker.

I carried a small Canon (PowerShot SX260HS) in a small (3.5x6 inch) padded nylon case which had a zipper section for holding spare battery and an additional disc and zipper across the top for access to the camera. It had a belt loop that I put on my chest strap upside down (zipper on bottom) so that unzipping the zipper dropped the camera into my hand. A couple of safety pins held the belt loop to my chest strap so it didn't fall off whenever I unfastened the chest strap. Worked great.

I've taken probably 10,000 pictures in over 50 countries over the years and I would recommend taking only the smartphone (unless you are an avid photographer who likes to really frame each shot or wants to do a lot of post processing on high-res photos). When I walked the Camino two years ago, I took my camera and quickly found out that it wasn't worth the weight during the day. My iPhone 6 has good enough resolution for almost any photo. The newer iPhones are even better in this regard. The iphone can also provide you with a record of where you walked which could be matched into google earth for a better view of where you were. What you might consider (and I did have), is a USB based battery so that you can recharge the phone should the need arise.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Like Finisterre, I tend to try and memorize a scene in the big memory card in my head. However, as I get older, I find that the memory seems to become corrupted a bit with junk files from previous forays into the wilderness. Therefore, I do carry a camera and use it, just not as much as I did in my youth. The digital age spawned many wonders as far as cameras but the ability to take thousands of pics is a downside, in my opinion. If I thought I could get away with film, I would bring a compact 110 SLR but with that format, if I could not convince the TSA types not to irradiate it, the pics could very well be lost.

All in all, I will probably take my Canon Compact Camera. Only 8mg per picture but I do not plan on making murals of any of them. Hooking the straps to the pack, as Tomnorth shows is probably the best choice. As for cellphones, I just have problems with the ergonomics. Turning the phone on, finding the camera icon, finding my fingers are in front of the lens, pushing on the magnification icon; all these are too much for me when a picture should be taken in a hurry. Castles sit still for you, most critters don't.

As an avid amateur photographer, I swore I'd never travel without at least a high-end compact camera, but when we did the Camino Portugués earlier this year I took only my iPhone. I was surprisingly pleased with most of the photos I took. It was always handy in the cargo pocket of my zip-off pants. The only thing I really missed was the ability to optically zoom when composing shots; the in-camera digital zoom (or cropping later) can sometimes cause the individual pixels to be visible in the photos if you go too far. The current smartphone cameras, both iPhone and most Androids, are actually pretty good, but most still suffer from rather convoluted procedures to move the photos onto a computer for post-processing.

If you use a smartphone, be aware of the potential issues of battery power and internal storage limitations if you take a lot of photos daily.

I always walk with a small Lumix LF1 that has a screen and a viewfinder which is so good for bright conditions. It's packed with features and I've put a 64gb SD card in and carry a spare card and a spare battery. I carry it in a small Lowe zip case with the strap across my (right) shoulder and it goes on before my rucsac; in wet weather it goes under my waterproof jacket; in very wet conditions it goes inside my rucsac. It weighs practically nothing and has never been a burden, it's easily accessible and takes great pictures. I'd like to take my Lumix DSLR, and do so on short walks but on long walks it's always the little one. By putting it on before the rucsac you don't take it off when you take your 'sac off so there's less chance of forgetting it when you move on. A smart phone takes acceptable pictures but for really good ones you need a camera.
Ultreïa.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Mettchen,

Since my Camino, I bought one of these, it's the answer to all my prayers: https://www.peakdesign.com/product/clips/capture/

I bought one of these this summer, both for use while working and doing photography here in Katmai National Park (my seasonal job) and to test for possible use on the Camino.

The Capture clamps onto your shoulder strap or your waist belt, depending on the width/thickness of the strap/belt but is lightweight and I don't notice the Capture itself. I do notice the extra weight on my shoulder but think it'll work even better on my waist strap. It's super easy to clip and unclip the camera from the Capture and best of all it keeps the camera from flopping around. I think it would be perfect for something smaller than a full-on DSLR like I use with it.

In the past few years, I've gotten really into using my DSLR (Canon 70D) and have tentatively been planning on bringing it, as I feel I'd strongly prefer the optical zoom. However, I will be needing a new phone and I like the idea of simplifying in terms of weight/devices. In purchasing a new phone, I could choose one with a good camera and better storage. But as a true shutter bug I think I'd prefer the ability to swap out SD cards since I don't plan on using the internet. Hmm.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I bought one of these this summer, both for use while working and doing photography here in Katmai National Park (my seasonal job) and to test for possible use on the Camino.

The Capture clamps onto your shoulder strap or your waist belt, depending on the width/thickness of the strap/belt but is lightweight and I don't notice the Capture itself. I do notice the extra weight on my shoulder but think it'll work even better on my waist strap. It's super easy to clip and unclip the camera from the Capture and best of all it keeps the camera from flopping around. I think it would be perfect for something smaller than a full-on DSLR like I use with it.

In the past few years, I've gotten really into using my DSLR (Canon 70D) and have tentatively been planning on bringing it, as I feel I'd strongly prefer the optical zoom. However, I will be needing a new phone and I like the idea of simplifying in terms of weight/devices. In purchasing a new phone, I could choose one with a good camera and better storage. But as a true shutter bug I think I'd prefer the ability to swap out SD cards since I don't plan on using the internet. Hmm.
In the post I reference above I mention the iXpand drive. You can use it for external storage to take pictures off your phone. Weighs nothing.

Hi guys

My inexpensive solution was to find a couple of clip rings and a cheap or inexpensive camera bag and clip the bag to the front of my pack straps, across my chest. Total cost was C$4.00. Inexpensive camera bags can be forund in many places including repurposing shops, Walmarts, Tesco or Asda stores.

I will carry an iPhone, two very small Vivitar cameras and a JVC HiDef video camera for some very special video shots. As I do a lot of visual media, these items, cables, adapters and a 35000mAH power bank are worth their weight in gold.

Mettchen

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I agonised for months over this same issue before my Camino last year. Finally, I ended up walking 1000 kms from Lourdes to SdC with my Canon 6D and the 17-40 EF lens in the camera bag attached to the backpack straps at hip height (all 3kgs of gear) and it never bothered me a single bit. I did also take a few photos and videos woth my iPhone 6, but after looking at the more than 6000 images, I would have kicked myself endlessly if I hadn't. The difference in quality (and options) between the phone and a good dslr is significant and well worth the effort if you are a keen photographer.
However, is there a risk that this becomes more of a photographic journey and clouding or compeeting with the main reason for your Camino?... You need to decide. Just keep in mind what Finisterre said: take time every day to be there, to be present and mindful of where you are, of the sights, sounds, tastes, smels, feelings and emotions. Be mindful and you will take the Camino with you, like 'a moveable feast'...
Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Doesn't weight over ride the question? How heavy are things? When the weight of the camera takes its toll do you leave it?

I actually haven't weighed it or any of my things yet, since I don't have all my things yet. And whether it overrides the question, is what I am trying to decide, hence this post :) But it is a fair point. And no, if I bring the camera - I won't leave it behind.

Hi Mettchen...the struggles of a pilgrim..haha..!!

I walked the CF last year with only my iphone 6 and was very pleased with the quality of the photos. I had it in a lifeproof case and it slipped into my pocket as per normal. However I also had what I call a bum bag which you may call a fanny pack.....a small bag that hangs usually in the front with a belt around the waist, this worked really well for all sorts of things like water bottle, ear phones, pain relief, snacks, cash, so a camera would probably be fine in there. I did meet others that had massive SLR's and didn't complain about the extra weight....but i'm sticking with my iphone again for this years Camino.

Great thoughts,
Mark

Hi Mark

Thank you for your input. I'm not sure if my camera would fit into a fanny pack/bum bag (neither are very flattering words, are they? In Denmark we just call them "belt bags" - bit more neutral haha) - but the camera bag might fit on the "belt"/strap of the bum bag.... hmmm. But it is true, smartphone cameras have improved a lot over the years. I've just never actually printed any pictures taken with my phone - and I'm thinking I might like to print some photos from my Camino. But there is a large chance that I will just bring my phone :)

Thank you. Mette

View attachment 35520 I attached my camera strap to my backpack using caribiners. It worked fabulously. None of the weight was carried on my neck. My camera was always there at the ready when I wanted to shoot.
Thank you - I quite like this idea - especially the weight in centered. You didn't feel that the camera was bouncing too much when you walked? Ever scared of tripping - could both be painful and painfully expensive :)

View attachment 35522 I carry a small compact Canon in a pouch that is connected by a single carabineer to the front straps of my back pack. The camera is accessible in seconds, is protected in the pouch from damage and all but the heaviest rains. Unless your camera is easily accessible, you will likely not take that many pictures after the first few days. I witnessed a few people dropping their pack to get out an Ipad every time they wanted a picture. Also, as good as cameras are getting in smart phones, they are still not at the level of a decent compact camera and not even close to a full size DLSR
I would do this too - or have it in a fanny pack / bum bag - if my camera was that size. But it's bigger than a compact camera, yet smaller than a DLSR - for a day it might be ok to hang it there - but for a month, I think it might give too much uneven-weight. I might just take my phone :-/ hmmmm. But thank you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Forgot to mention, the camera cannot be attached to a selfie stick IF its inside the weather proof case ... it cannot be screwed on. Unsure if this feature is similar in other cameras - I've never really quite had a digital camera such as this one ... it's almost cheap enough to be lost/misplaced/stolen - just as long as the memory card is backed up somewhere else .

I don't have a selfie stick so that won't be an issue :) - and also isn't planning on bringing my tripod - even though I have a small/light one.

I think my best choice was when I didn't take a camera and I didn't take a phone. Instead I decided to take ten minutes a day every day, to stop and memorise a scene. I ended up doing it a few times a day. I can still see, hear, and smell those moments in the valleys and amongst the buildings in my mind's eye*. The ringing of bells and the rustle of wind, the buzz of a distant moped, always there.

I know this is not a fashionable view but I feel that mediating your life digitally distances you from your lived experience.

Thank you for your input. I know I want to be able to take pictures - but would like to not depend on my phone - and only use it at night or for GPS/map is I get lost which is why I am trying to figure out if I can bring my camera... but I am not ready to leave my phone at home (do plan on deactivating facebook while I am away) but I need it especially for online banking and buying a plane ticket home etc.

However - I do like the idea of taking mental pictures to memories a scene. I hope I'll be able to do that. So hopefully I can mix it - so less (but still some) electronics and more meditation/mindfulness

I carried my small 'point and shoot' camera in this case round my neck. It also has a back loop to fit the rucksack belt. However I felt it was more secure worn across my body (over one shoulder and across to hang at the side not just round neck) under my backpack straps.
(Edit:- For quick access only do up the zip not the clip)

Thanks - the case is similar to mine - though my camera is a little bit bigger... I might just try to attach it to the back pack belt or cross-body. I do still have 2 weeks to go - about time I "unpack" my backpack and begin to practice packing and figuring out what I miss etc. ;-)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Mettchen,

With it I clip my Olympus EM-1 micro four/thirds mirrorless to my pack strap at chest level. It's super-light, camera weight is almost not noticeable. Clip fastened to camera slots into a gizmo clamped to backpack strap, removal is quick-release, camera slots back in instantly. I keep the medium zoom on the camera, two more in backpack.

I had same problems as you mention while on Camino last year. I missed many shots, mostly in the rain when poncho made pack access a pain. Tried carrying camera with a neck strap but very annoying, especially under poncho. I had a neoprene case on the camera but it kept swinging against my walking pole, abrasive upper section of pole tore through the case. Peak Design also makes a thin, tough, weatherproof camera pouch - I also have one of these so camera is not so visible all the time. See their product videos.

The only downside, IMHO: Camera suddenly flops dangerously/expensively if you take off your pack with camera still clipped to the pack-strap.

Good luck, Mike

WOW - that looks quite interesting... I wonder if I can find somewhere in Denmark that sells that - don't really have time for international shipping and time for potentially having to return it before my take-off. But thank you for sharing this.

I was so glad I brought a small camera. I carried it in a waist pack (worn in the front), along with snacks and water. The camera was waterproof and easy to use with one hand. My phone is not waterproof and I can't take an adequate picture without using two hands. Since I was using walking sticks, taking one-handed photos was much easier and quicker.

Thanks - my phone actually is supposedly waterproof (as long as I dont go swimming with it in salt water) :) and think my camera won't fit into a bag like that. But I like the idea of taking pictures with one hand - since I also plan on walking with sticks and I have a cover/case on my phone that sometimes need my other hand to stay put when taking pictures. Other things to take into consideration... hmmmm :)

I carried a small Canon (PowerShot SX260HS) in a small (3.5x6 inch) padded nylon case which had a zipper section for holding spare battery and an additional disc and zipper across the top for access to the camera. It had a belt loop that I put on my chest strap upside down (zipper on bottom) so that unzipping the zipper dropped the camera into my hand. A couple of safety pins held the belt loop to my chest strap so it didn't fall off whenever I unfastened the chest strap. Worked great.
Thats a great idea - not sure if my camera + case it too big for this - but definitely worth a try. Thanks :)

I've taken probably 10,000 pictures in over 50 countries over the years and I would recommend taking only the smartphone (unless you are an avid photographer who likes to really frame each shot or wants to do a lot of post processing on high-res photos). When I walked the Camino two years ago, I took my camera and quickly found out that it wasn't worth the weight during the day. My iPhone 6 has good enough resolution for almost any photo. The newer iPhones are even better in this regard. The iphone can also provide you with a record of where you walked which could be matched into google earth for a better view of where you were. What you might consider (and I did have), is a USB based battery so that you can recharge the phone should the need arise.

Thank you very much, I appreciate the input. I am by no means an avid photographer - and have no plans of editing afterwards (other than perhaps a crop or removal of a red eye). My I do have this idea - that perhaps I would like to print some of my photos - and even though the phone take good pictures - I haven't tried to print any just yet. And it was also to avoid grabbing my phone whenever I wanted to capture a moment...
But your opinion matters (well all of your opinions do...) - I am worried that I will end up with the camera in the backpack and therefor not using but solely carrying the dead-weight.

€83,-
Like Finisterre, I tend to try and memorize a scene in the big memory card in my head. However, as I get older, I find that the memory seems to become corrupted a bit with junk files from previous forays into the wilderness. Therefore, I do carry a camera and use it, just not as much as I did in my youth. The digital age spawned many wonders as far as cameras but the ability to take thousands of pics is a downside, in my opinion. If I thought I could get away with film, I would bring a compact 110 SLR but with that format, if I could not convince the TSA types not to irradiate it, the pics could very well be lost.

All in all, I will probably take my Canon Compact Camera. Only 8mg per picture but I do not plan on making murals of any of them. Hooking the straps to the pack, as Tomnorth shows is probably the best choice. As for cellphones, I just have problems with the ergonomics. Turning the phone on, finding the camera icon, finding my fingers are in front of the lens, pushing on the magnification icon; all these are too much for me when a picture should be taken in a hurry. Castles sit still for you, most critters don't.

Thanks - I understand what you mean about taking less pictures. I think I learned this about 6 years ago just - when both my cameras broke and I had not yet turned to smartphones and so for the first time in years I went on holiday without a camera. And it was actually quite liberating to see a place through my eyes and not a lens. I will definitely keep this in mind and really try my best to NOT take pictures every 50 metres.

I found out fairly recently that my smartphone (samsung) has (at least) two shortcuts for the camera. Before I was like you - it would take med 20-30 secs to just get to the camera. Now I mostly double click on the home button and it opens the camera (even when screen is locked) or when the screen is on (though locked) I can also slide diagonal from one corner and it goes to camera. No pincode needed. That helped me a lot :)

As an avid amateur photographer, I swore I'd never travel without at least a high-end compact camera, but when we did the Camino Portugués earlier this year I took only my iPhone. I was surprisingly pleased with most of the photos I took. It was always handy in the cargo pocket of my zip-off pants. The only thing I really missed was the ability to optically zoom when composing shots; the in-camera digital zoom (or cropping later) can sometimes cause the individual pixels to be visible in the photos if you go too far. The current smartphone cameras, both iPhone and most Androids, are actually pretty good, but most still suffer from rather convoluted procedures to move the photos onto a computer for post-processing.

If you use a smartphone, be aware of the potential issues of battery power and internal storage limitations if you take a lot of photos daily.

Thanks - I have a Samsung S7 and an extra memory card and plan on emptying the phone before I go - and I also have a power bank.

Did you print any of your phone-pictures afterwards? And with success? I think the pictures are quite often really good on the phone - but then when viewed on a bigger screen, not always so much. And then worried about potentially printing some. Hmmm - but thanks again.

I always walk with a small Lumix LF1 that has a screen and a viewfinder which is so good for bright conditions. It's packed with features and I've put a 64gb SD card in and carry a spare card and a spare battery. I carry it in a small Lowe zip case with the strap across my (right) shoulder and it goes on before my rucsac; in wet weather it goes under my waterproof jacket; in very wet conditions it goes inside my rucsac. It weighs practically nothing and has never been a burden, it's easily accessible and takes great pictures. I'd like to take my Lumix DSLR, and do so on short walks but on long walks it's always the little one. By putting it on before the rucsac you don't take it off when you take your 'sac off so there's less chance of forgetting it when you move on. A smart phone takes acceptable pictures but for really good ones you need a camera.
Ultreïa.
Unfortunately my mirror-less system camera doesnt have a viewfinder - I miss it - but it was one of the (money) compromises I made. I miss that from my old DSLR, never used the screen... but oh well. Thanks for your input.

I left my expensive and heavy DSLR at home. Instead I used my iPhone 7 Plus. Here's why: http://www.musingsfromthelastfrontier.com/raw-capable-iphone-camera-apps/
Thanks - my Samsung also allows me to shoot in RAW, but I have never done that - since I don't really do any editing afterwards besides some cropping. So not sure if I should use the ekstra storage for the RAW files...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I agonised for months over this same issue before my Camino last year. Finally, I ended up walking 1000 kms from Lourdes to SdC with my Canon 6D and the 17-40 EF lens in the camera bag attached to the backpack straps at hip height (all 3kgs of gear) and it never bothered me a single bit. I did also take a few photos and videos woth my iPhone 6, but after looking at the more than 6000 images, I would have kicked myself endlessly if I hadn't. The difference in quality (and options) between the phone and a good dslr is significant and well worth the effort if you are a keen photographer.
However, is there a risk that this becomes more of a photographic journey and clouding or compeeting with the main reason for your Camino?... You need to decide. Just keep in mind what Finisterre said: take time every day to be there, to be present and mindful of where you are, of the sights, sounds, tastes, smels, feelings and emotions. Be mindful and you will take the Camino with you, like 'a moveable feast'...
Buen Camino!

AAARRRRGGHHHHH such a tough choice!!!! :)
Every time I read a new reply and change my mind and go with that :D - thank you though. I think you might have just hit the nail on the head - that I am not going on a photographic journey. And don't want to experience the Camino solely through a lens or constantly looking for motives... but on the other hand - I also wanna capture some of this things I see in the best possible way. And at the same time - I wanna use my phone as little as possible - and a camera with help with that. But if I do end up bringing my camera - then I will definitely keep in mind WHY I am walking... I am there to walk with an occasional photo - not walk from motive to motive with my camera or phone constantly in my hand.
Thank you.

The evolution of this pilgrim is as follows:
First camino - husband carries Big Camera, I carry Little Camera.
Second camino - husband has iPhone, I carry the Real Camera (having decided the Little One will be adequate, not worth lugging weight of a big one) and iPhone. I take every picture twice, once on each device! After about 1,200km I reach only for the iPhone.
Third and fourth caminos - iPhone.

Walked with daughter one year, she has a Masters degree in Fine Arts specialising in photography. Took the whole kit and caboodle. Camera emerged from the case about five times in the whole 800km. Lovely photos, but just not worth the weight. The next time she walked she took an iPhone.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Its not the camera, it's the photographer ... I'd rather buy the most cost effective camera and load up on micro SD cards and take tons of pics/vids and choose the best ... Those Dollar store pill cases (the Sun-Mon-Tues-Wed-Thurs-Fri-Sat types?) make excellent micro SD storage cases. One can easily organize/classify when the pics were taken. Minimal danger of overwriting picture data. Also, there is the added advantage that the cost effective camera will be cheap to replace IF it gets damaged/lost/stolen (knocking on wood that it doesn't) ... In short, it won't be something in the back of one's mind to worry about ... suggest one brings a micro SD card reader so you can backup the files onto a more significant/stable platform (Desktop? Laptop?tablet? chromebook?). I've never had a micro SD card fail on me, but there is always a first time for everything ...

it won't matter if I have the most expensive camera on the planet. it won't do me much good if the camera forever stays inside the backpack ... if I'm too scared to use it because I fear that people are going to steal it, if it's too heavy to remove from the pack to take pics ... it's all dead weight ... and lastly, even if I have the best camera ever made, my girlfriend will always take better pics/vids than me ...

The battery seems good. Charged it 3 weeks ago, its still has full charge (it was switched off, naturally) ... cost of a spare/replacement battery is strangely about half the cost of getting a replacement camera. Maybe this is the norm ... "cheap" compared to other more expensive equipment ... Unsure how much a top of the line camera costs, but I'm more than certain that their batteries cost more ...

Bought a weird assortment of mini lenses from Walmart. by Vivitar? (zoom, closeup, and fish eye)... cost was about 7-8 Dollars. Unsure if it'll work with the camera as it was designed for use with a smartphone or iPad (or iPhone) ... there doesn't seem to be a way to attach the lens to the weather proof case (maybe I'll just hold it in place while I take the pic? Am already regretting buying the lenses ...

[QUOTE="Mettchen, post: 544471, member: 72694]

Thanks - my Samsung also allows me to shoot in RAW, but I have never done that - since I don't really do any editing afterwards besides some cropping. So not sure if I should use the ekstra storage for the RAW files...[/QUOTE]
You don't have to shoot in RAW. It gives you the option of using JPEG but gives you the manual control of a DSLR. If you are using your DSLR in auto mode, then you might as well leave it home.
As I stated in my article, the external mini drive will save space on your phone.

http://www.musingsfromthelastfrontier.com/raw-capable-iphone-camera-apps/

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you - I quite like this idea - especially the weight in centered. You didn't feel that the camera was bouncing too much when you walked? Ever scared of tripping - could both be painful and painfully expensive :)

I would do this too - or have it in a fanny pack / bum bag - if my camera was that size. But it's bigger than a compact camera, yet smaller than a DLSR - for a day it might be ok to hang it there - but for a month, I think it might give too much uneven-weight. I might just take my phone :-/ hmmmm. But thank you.

No, I didn't find the camera bouncing or bothersome at all. I tried this setup out extensively at home before committing to it. I think the camera was more stable because it was tied into my backpack and not handing off my neck. Fortunately, I didn't trip or fall on my Camino. The camera had limited free rein, so if I had fallen I don't think it would have whacked me in the face.

Thanks - I have a Samsung S7 and an extra memory card and plan on emptying the phone before I go - and I also have a power bank.

Did you print any of your phone-pictures afterwards? And with success? I think the pictures are quite often really good on the phone - but then when viewed on a bigger screen, not always so much. And then worried about potentially printing some. Hmmm - but thanks again.
If your phone allows the use of an inserted micro-SD card, get the largest card you think you'll need. iPhones do not have a slot for an added memory card, but I found an external 64 gb thumb drive that had an Apple Lightning plug on one end and a standard USB plug on the other, so as my internal memory filled up (I only had 16gb for everything on that phone), I saved a batch to the thumb drive. I later transferred all the photos to my computer for selection and editing. That was a somewhat inconvenient procedure, and after returning from the Camino I upgraded to a newer phone with 128gb of memory.

Perhaps the reason for some of the photos not looking good on the bigger computer screen might be that you zoomed in too tightly when you composed the picture. Smart phones have a fixed lens, so when you zoom in you're actually using digital zoom, rather than the optical zoom on a regular camera with a zoom lens. Using an optical zoom keeps the size of the pixels in the photo at their actual size (which is measured in microns), but digital zooming works by blowing up the size of the pixels. If you zoom in too closely with digital zoom you'll start seeing the individual pixels as increasingly larger blocks, which can cause the image to look fuzzy and sometimes the edges appear jagged. Cropping the photos too closely can produce the same effect.

And no, I have not printed any of the photos from the phone. However, assuming you have not zoomed too close, the standard rules for print sizes would apply; if you print the photo too large, it has the same ultimate effect as digital zooming and the picture will loose its sharpness.

You lot are a bad influence.
I'm now checking out little fujifilm mirrorless gizmos.
Ever so tempting but a bit pricy.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Buen Camino!
No agonizing here :) - I am lugging my beloved 6D and 16-35mm along too, plus 70-200 zoom (though I am agonizing about this one). 3 kg the lot. Seems insane, no doubt about it. For me, though, seeing through the camera eye enhances the deep exploration of place and mood.
Buen camino to you!

No agonizing here :) - I am lugging my beloved 6D and 16-35mm along too, plus 70-200 zoom (though I am agonizing about this one). 3 kg the lot. Seems insane, no doubt about it. For me, though, seeing through the camera eye enhances the deep exploration of place and mood.
Buen camino to you!
Yes, I would have loved to take my 70-200 but that was clearly beyond what I considered sensible... Too heavy, too expensive, too obvious and too silly to take with me to the showers every day!!! My 14-35 was not a bad compromise... Especially for inside the old churches and for the ochre hills of September.
Buen Camino! :)

If it fits, the camera could go to the hip belt pocket (as in my case sony dsc hx5v compact camera fits into ospreys hip belt pockets). Then it would be always at hand and in rainy weather it can go into one of the waterproof jacket's pocket.

Anyway thread stirred a little bit in my thoughts about bringing camera for another Camino starting in little more that two weeks.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.