• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue Recommendations

Rossco

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2015, Camino Portugues 2017, Camino Finisterre 2017, Le Puy Route (Sept. 2018)
I'm about to start the Camino Portugues from Lisbon to Finisterre at the end of August and would like some albergue recommendations along the Camino. I haven't really made any plans for daily stages, I'll just see how I feel towards the end of the day. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm about to start the Camino Portugues from Lisbon to Finisterre at the end of August and would like some albergue recommendations along the Camino. I haven't really made any plans for daily stages, I'll just see how I feel towards the end of the day. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi Rossco, it’s possible to stay in an albergue almost every night from Lisbon, but the choices are limited. Perhaps make a note of where they are, so you can decide to stop, or not, when you get there. Below is a suggested list. I have stayed at, and can recommend, the ones in Vila Franca de Xira, Santarem, Golega, Tomar, Alvaiazere, Mealhada and Angeiras. Alpriate and Azambuja are new; definitely stop at those two. Avorge is also quite new, and super-friendly when I stopped and chatted (and filled in their visitor’s book). I had breakfast at the albergue in Agueda, which also looks very nice.
Jill
upload_2017-8-17_10-16-3.png

Hi Rossco, it’s possible to stay in an albergue almost every night from Lisbon, but the choices are limited. Perhaps make a note of where they are, so you can decide to stop, or not, when you get there. Below is a suggested list. I have stayed at, and can recommend, the ones in Vila Franca de Xira, Santarem, Golega, Tomar, Alvaiazere, Mealhada and Angeiras. Alpriate and Azambuja are new; definitely stop at those two. Avorge is also quite new, and super-friendly when I stopped and chatted (and filled in their visitor’s book). I had breakfast at the albergue in Agueda, which also looks very nice.
Jill
View attachment 35709
Thanks Jill. Great help.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Rossco,

I only walked from Porto but these are some of the albergues I can recommend.
Albergue San Pedro de Rates
Casa Fernanda
Monasterio de Herbon near Padron
Albergue San Rogue @ Corcubion

buen camino
Aidan

Hi Rossco,

I only walked from Porto but these are some of the albergues I can recommend.
Albergue San Pedro de Rates
Casa Fernanda
Monasterio de Herbon near Padron
Albergue San Rogue @ Corcubion

buen camino
Aidan
Thanks Aidan

Jill
View attachment 35709
You must, MUST stay at El Recuncho do Peregrino in Redondela. Miguel is the host of the nicest hostel ever. He is what the Camino is all about. So helpful and thoughtful. His place is nice and clean and if you want a room with your own bed, just email him and request. All for 10euro. Tell him Renee from the USA who lost his keys sent you!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You must, MUST stay at El Recuncho do Peregrino in Redondela. Miguel is the host of the nicest hostel ever. He is what the Camino is all about. So helpful and thoughtful. His place is nice and clean and if you want a room with your own bed, just email him and request. All for 10euro. Tell him Renee from the USA who lost his keys sent you!

I'll second that. Meeting Miguel makes you think more deeply about your Camino.
I would also recommend Alberque Camino Do Sar in Padron. Phim and his partner run this new and clean hostel. It is the first Alberque into Padron.

My faves along the Portugues were Casa da Fernanda, and Refuxio de la Jerezana in Cesantes (word was when I was on the Camino last year that the albergues in Redondela weren't good, and this was just a few km farther). In Santiago, I stayed in the Last Stamp, which was just great.

My faves along the Portugues were Casa da Fernanda, and Refuxio de la Jerezana in Cesantes (word was when I was on the Camino last year that the albergues in Redondela weren't good, and this was just a few km farther). In Santiago, I stayed in the Last Stamp, which was just great.
I'm booked into the Last Stamp. I've read a lot of good reviews about it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Many thanks for the heads up.....! will give this one a go. setting off next month.....!!

Yes, wonderful facility and wonderful host.

It is great that you have not made a rigid plan - At times on the Camino Frances I have stayed in some of the most questionable albergues but on occasions they have blossomed into unforgettable nights along with other pilgrims - there is no real recipe. In the past I have returned to one of my favourive albergues only to have a mediocre experience.
Along the way you will hear of 'Must Stop' albergues from other folks and Camino buddies as in this thread - enjoy;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My friend and I are starting from Porto on Sep 23rd and plan to walk the coastal route as much as possible. I have a Brierley book, older edition, but it doesn't provide as much info as we would like for the coastal way. Suggestions would be helpful.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back