• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Ottawa to SJPDP

Kam Wong

Time of past OR future Camino
First attempt Camino Frances (Sep to Nov 2017)
Hi
My wife and I will be leaving from Ottawa, Canada on Sep 20 arriving Paris at 5.50 am on the 21st.
We will then fly to Biarritz at 8.45 am arriving at 10.05 am by Air France.

How do we get to SJPDP from Biarritz? We are a bit confused about going to the Bayonne train station?
--- by bus? How?
--- by taxi?

We hope to get to SJPDP on the dame date of 21st?
Suggestions? Thanks a lot

Kam and Anjulia

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Welcome to the forum!

Take airport bus 14 to Bayonne Gare/railroad station. From Bayonne Gare take local TER line 62 train to SJPdP.
Current train times are
07:45, 11:10, 14:55, 18:06
See https://www.ter.sncf.com/aquitaine
for more info

Total cost per person for bus + train transport should be 12 € or so.
The Bayonne station is small and the staff are helpful and used to tourists as well as pilgrims. Multiple video screens throughout the station display arrivals/departures as does a large board in lobby.

The adjacent station cafe boasts many handy plugs for recharging your computer or smartphone; if you have time to spare relax and have a drink or simple meal.

Bon voyage and Buen camino to both of you!

Last edited:
Thanks for the prompt response. That helps. We hope then we can catch the 12.01 pm train allowing us enough time at SJPDP for the rest of the day. We plan to stay one more night before walking on 23rd to Orisson where we would like to say overnight easing up our first day try.
Do we need to reserve at the Orisson auberge?

Since this is our first try, we budget about 45 days to complete the Camino. Is it reasonable?
We know that weather is hard to forecast, what's the general weather at that time including the whole month of October?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I wish you an excellent Camino. I am from Ottawa also and did that one in 2006. I too, stay 2 nights in SJPDP before starting the walk. It's worth it, as it's such a great medieval town and I also stopped in Orisson, which is a wise thing to do.
Enjoy every moment and take time to smell the flowers and all the little things the Camino will bring to both of you!

Hello and welcome to the forum. October is an excellent time to walk the Camino. The weather will likely be good most of the time, but you must go prepared for everything! By November in Galicia, you can expect rain, but you will be experienced pilgrims by then!

You should make the Orisson reservation as soon as possible, since they do book up well in advance. I would offer the warning that starting from SJPP or Roncesvalles on a weekend might mean you are in a crowd of weekend starters. That would be a good reason to reserve both Orisson and Roncesvalles. If you find you are in a crowd, you can simply slow down, stay in an intermediate village, and take an extra day to walk to Pamplona, since you do have 45 days to complete the trip. I walked later in October and never encountered a problem, but I understand that the typical stages to Pamplona can get crowded as the weekend starters haven't yet spread out. Maybe this won't be the case by late September.

I must also say that the starting "crowds" from SJPP can be one of the most fun aspects of the Camino, so don't be anxious about it. Just make the appropriate reservations!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back