• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Have you been in Zaragoza?

peregrina2000

Staff member
I'm trying to get a rough idea of my likely Camino 2016, and am wondering about whether to tentatively plan a rest day in Zaragoza. I was there a couple of times in the 80s and 90s and I have to admit I didn't feel like it was a place I wanted to explore more. But things may have changed, or I may have been in the wrong state of mind, so I'm wondering if any forum members have spent time there, and if so, whether you recommend a full day to explore. What are your favorite places? Thanks and buen camino, Laurie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I liked Zaragoza very much. I was there during the fiesta of the Pilar, when the streets were alive with concerts, new wine launches, parades, food, etc. I don't think there would be anywhere else on the Ebro worth spending a rest day (especially not, in my opinion, Caspe, which I found almost aggressively charmless).

But I have to admit, having done the excellent Goya museum of Ibercaja (including several quite good ones - ie, done after he left the area for the last time - and a virtually complete set of prints), the Aljaferia and the basilica and its surrounds, I didn't feel I'd probably missed much as I headed out about 20 hours after arriving, after early mass in the cathedral performed by a traditional Aragonese folk group.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
La Seo is another not to miss place in Zaragoza.

If you like modern buildings, you might be interested in visiting the area where the Expo 2008 took place.

There's also some other mudéjar architecture (in addition to La Seo and la Aljafería).

Zaragza cathedral plays a mayor part in the Camino legends (Virgin del Pilar) and is, apart of that, beautiful in its own right. Also lovely eating and wine there. In my books definitively worth a rest day. Buen Camino, SY

Indeeed Laurie, what the others said. On top of that : some lovely tapasplaces to try out too. Was there on a Camino and for our regular holidays.

I did not particularly like the Aljaferia , for me it was too well restored.

I like the Ibis , nice area and close to all the main sights.
http://www.ibis.com/gb/hotel-8521-ibis-styles-zaragoza-ramiro-i/index.shtm

Also lots of urban landscaping going on ! Small independent cultural events popping up everywhere.

And every decent european city has it's own Gran Café.
http://www.tripwolf.com/es/guide/show/703805/Espana/Norte-de-Espana/Zaragoza/Gran-Cafe-Zaragoza

Enjoy.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Somehow, I missed this thread. We stopped there only to sleep one night on the Camino Ignaciano in April. It was a Long day and Lat arrival but we made it around the corner to th gorgeous Cathedral. I could have easily spent the whole day in there and the shops / sidewalks within a hundred meters of it. Along the river and one park where we walked in was lovely but the walk through most of the rest of the city was just okay.

Hotel Inca - 35€ For a double, just around the corner from the cathedral. Nice place with full hotel services.

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone, based on your comments, I think I'll expect to spend an extra day in Zaragoza. I think the day coming in pushes 40 km, so I wouldn't have a chance to see much of what you have all talked about otherwise! Alan's suggestion of the Hotel Avenida looks good -- Sabine's IBis rec a little pricier, but any other favorites? Thanks, Laurie

p.s. Always happy to take recommendations on tapas places and other places to eat!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Laurie,

This one I also stayed in....Double for 30 €.
http://hostalelcarmen.com/

Muchas gracias, Sabine. 28 euros for an individual room makes the Carmen quite the bargain! I'll have to compare locations, etc. I am not opposed to the occasional splurge (I may stay here earlier on the walk, though it is quite indulgent: http://www.parador.es/en/paradores/parador-de-tortosa)
So I'll have to go cheap on some other days to balance it out!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm trying to get a rough idea of my likely Camino 2016, and am wondering about whether to tentatively plan a rest day in Zaragoza. I was there a couple of times in the 80s and 90s and I have to admit I didn't feel like it was a place I wanted to explore more. But things may have changed, or I may have been in the wrong state of mind, so I'm wondering if any forum members have spent time there, and if so, whether you recommend a full day to explore. What are your favorite places? Thanks and buen camino, Laurie
Hello Laurie. I´m Pingüigrino, and this is my first time writing in this forum. My wife an me are active pilgrims, and I am a a Hospitalero Voluntario. Both us love the Caminos, and sharing experiences and helping if necessary.
Actually I´m living in Zaragoza. I think its a good city to take a rest day, and will be our pleasure to be your "cicerone" here.
If you need more information about, hotels, albergue, food ,tapas and good wine :) , please feel free of asking me. Sorry for my bad english, just improving . Buen Camino

Hello Laurie. I´m Pingüigrino, and this is my first time writing in this forum. My wife an me are active pilgrims, and I am a a Hospitalero Voluntario. Both us love the Caminos, and sharing experiences and helping if necessary.
Actually I´m living in Zaragoza. I think its a good city to take a rest day, and will be our pleasure to be your "cicerone" here.
If you need more information about, hotels, albergue, food ,tapas and good wine :) , please feel free of asking me. Sorry for my bad english, just improving . Buen Camino

Hi, Pingüigrino, Welcome to the forum. It's so great to have Spanish participants helping us out, because you obviously have a lot more first hand knowledge than we do.

I'll be walking with another forum member, @anniethenurse, and if all goes well, we will be in Zaragoza in late May. I'll pm you and hope that we can meet up then! Buen camino, Laurie

I will be in Zaragoza late May too. My wife and me are planing to return to Camino Frances for easter holidays ( she is younger than me and is still working). Probably we´ll start in Ponferrada, maybe Sahagun. Hope we can meet in Zaragoza you and anniethenurse, I´ll pay for the first beer o glass of wine of course. ;)

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I will be in Zaragoza late May too. My wife and me are planing to return to Camino Frances for easter holidays ( she is younger tan me and is still working). Probably we´ll start in Ponferrada, maybe Sahagun. Hope we can meet in Zaragoza you and anniethenurse, I´ll pay for the first beer o glass of wine of course. ;)

Ok, you're on! Looking forward to it, I will let you know in a few months where we are and when we hope to arrive in Zaragoza!
We will want to stay in a pensión or hotel, do you have any recommendations? Sabine recommends Hostal Carmen, Michael the Hotel Inca, and Stephen the Hotel Avenida. I've also done some poking around on tripadvisor, etc, and have added Hotel San Jorge and Hotel Río Arga to the mix. Any opinions on those choices? Or any other recommendations? We're not too picky but would like a quiet and clean room and bath. Central location is high on my list (and I know that may mean asking for an interior room to get the quiet part :)).

Well, its depends of the day of the week you want to stay. Inca hotel its absolutely central and no too expensive. but in weekends could be noisy. Same for Avenida and the others. Zaragoza is a city full of students and they love party. The best pubs and lounges are in the historical center of the city, and you know, sometimes parties in Spain could be wild. When you know the day youll be here, we´ll see. There are a Pilgrims albergue in Zaragoza too. I´ve never been there obviously, but I`ll glance. For sure we´ll find a good acomodation.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Not just students. As you'll know, it's said that even the lion of the coat of arms of Zaragoza is dancing (a jota)...:)

P.S.: I should go back to Zaragoza. It has been a long time since my last visit.
Shisss! We, ederly people of Zaragoza, are trying to seem respectable. ;)

I plan on doing the Aragones in late September and am thinking about catching the bus from Jaca to do a day trip to Zaragoza. Any thoughts?

I plan on doing the Aragones in late September and am thinking about catching the bus from Jaca to do a day trip to Zaragoza. Any thoughts?
You can take the train from Estacion Canfranc (or Jaca) to Zaragoza. It is an interesting ride. The road bed will scare you to death (it scares the engineer; he goes about 10 kph in some stretches).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

It's 2h. 20m. by bus from Jaca to Zaragoza (plus another 2h. 20m. to return from Zaragoza to Jaca). It's doable as a daytrip. If it's worth it, that's something that depends on how interested you are in visiting Zaragoza, on how much attracted you are by whatever you plan to visit/make in Zaragoza. The bus company linking Jaca with Zaragoza is Alosa: http://alosa.avanzabus.com

Train is another option to go from Jaca to Zaragoza but it takes longer and there are less frequencies than by bus. A daytrip by train would give you not too much time to visit Zaragoza. If you are a train fan, you could consider to go from Jaca to Zaragoza by train and return by bus in order to get more time to see Zaragoza. The train from Canfranc to Zaragoza that stops in Jaca among other stations along the route is a well-known one among train fans in Spain. For info about trains: www.renfe.com

Hello Pingüigrino,
Are you still living in Zaragoza?
I lived there, 108 Via Hispanidad, from 1981 - 1984. I remember going to Nuestra Senora del Piler and seeing something on the southeast corner of the building that always made me wonder "Why is this here?"
Now that I know about The Camino, I am wondering what that something was! I am thinking it was the seashell symbol of The Camino. Can you help solve the mystery?
Thanks in advance!

Hello Pingüigrino,
Are you still living in Zaragoza?
I lived there, 108 Via Hispanidad, from 1981 - 1984. I remember going to Nuestra Senora del Piler and seeing something on the southeast corner of the building that always made me wonder "Why is this here?"
Now that I know about The Camino, I am wondering what that somethingwas! I am thinking it was the seashell symbol of The Camino. Can you help solve the mystery?
Thanks in advance!

Yes. I´m still living in Zaragoza. You are right, there are scallops on El Pilar square, and all along the Ebro river´s right shore. The Camino del Ebro go trow this way.

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.