• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Östersund to Trondheim in winter, possible?

beiramar

Time of past OR future Camino
Caminho Português, Camino del Norte, Fisterra,
I'm just camping in Storlien, right by the Norwegian border and was wondering if it wouldn't be an interesting project to follow the st. Olav trail on skis...

Between Östersund and Trondheim snow availability shouldn't be a problem I just wonder if the trail is suitable?

Are there some parts that go literally on the E14 national road by Åre?

Would be nice to stay true to the marked trail of course, alternatively I would partly opt for a route through the mountains...

So from Järpen perhaps till Vålådalen, Vålåstugorna, Gåsån, Sylarna, Storikevollen, Ramsjøhytta, Schulzhytta, Prestøyhytta, Kvittfjelhytta to Stjørdal and from there back on the original route.

Any thoughts?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Are you a good cross-country skier and don't need trails? It does sound rather challenging, but since people ski to the North Pole with some regularity, this should be eminently doable with a lot of emergency equipment, a strong companion and a good tent.

The main problem might be the very short days in the months when full snow cover is assured. How far can you ski on unbroken trails in five hours? What will you do in your tent in the next 19 hours?

Here are the daylight hours in Trondheim in January...

I would go on my backcountry skis with full steel edges.
Certainly not in January but maybe in late March when there is decent daylight.

I can ski about 30 km per day without a trail, but since there are plenty of skidoos around there will be trails of hard snow in the Swedish part. And between the huts on the Norwegian part there should be some skiing traffic as well.

My whole question was more about the original part of the trail, how much actual trail there is and if there are long bits that could probably not be skied.

I would go with Fischer E99 skis, fjellpulken 144 and sleep in a Hilleberg Nammatj.
Normally use an Exped Winterlite together with a thermarest z-lite and a custom Roberts sleeping bag.
I have a Primus Ommifuel cooker but would of course prefer to melt most water and cook most food in a warm hut.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back