• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where should I stay in Le Puy?

kelleymac

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
March/April 2015, Late April 2016, Sept/Oct 2017, April 2019.
This Tuesday, I am arriving at CDG and heading straight to Gare de Lyon and catching a train to Le Puy (three trains actually). I will be arriving at 19:00, and will be tired. I am thinking of staying two days in Le Puy. So advice, stories, recommendations are welcome! I am looking for inexpensive and communal. -- And with good food! I loved Orrison.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And try this site for hotels:

https://www.france-voyage.com/hotels-guide/le-puy-en-velay-commune-15395.htm

There are a small handful near the Cathedral.

But you will need a taxi at that time. The inner roads I found to be quite bendy and twisty and, for me, quite disorienting on arrival.

If you go to the Pilgrim Mass (07h) you may experience a very unique sending out.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This Tuesday, I am arriving at CDG and heading straight to Gare de Leon and catching a train to Le Puy (three trains actually). I will be arriving at 19:00, and will be tired. I am thinking of staying two days in Le Puy. So advice, stories, recommendations are welcome! I am looking for inexpensive and communal. -- And with good food! I loved Orrison.

How do you get to Le Puy from Gare de Leon? I will be arriving to CDG October 5th around 3 pm heading to le Puy.

You can get a train from CDG straight to Lyon and from there train then bus to Le Puy.
You can book on Trainline EU website.
I stay at Logis Meymard Mme Dechaux in the heart of Le Puy.
Def stay 2 nights. It is a lovely town.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I will be staying on Sunday night at the "Accueil St Francois" as recommended by a member of the "Amis de st Jacques". I was told that it is right up behind the cathedral (good location for the pilgrim mass)
You can have a single room for about 20€ breakfast included. ( No dinners on Sunday night). I think that the" Accueil" is run by nuns and has a work/insertion program, seems like an interesting place to stay, you can stay more than one night as it's not just for st Jacques walkers. I don't know how it works if you arrive late from Paris. At night you have a key or code to get in. So... in a few days I will have it all first hand!

Their address is
Accueil st Francois
6rue st. Mayor
Le puy
Tel: (33) 471059886. Call between. 9-12hr and 14hr -19hr

How do you get to Le Puy from Gare de Leon? I will be arriving to CDG October 5th around 3 pm heading to le Puy.
-- I meant Gare de Lyon in Paris. You can look on the https://en.voyages-sncf.com/en/, choose Europe other countries from the pull down menu while you search, then change to France before you buy and choose an e-mail and not mail for your ticket. et voila. There is an early morning train from CDG, but my flight lands at about 10am and I didn't want to spend a day and a night in Paris. So I bought a ticket with the following itinerary:

Outward 12h59 PARIS GARE DE LYON TGV 6685
HAN.gif
PRO.gif
BAR.gif

15h47 SAINT ETIENNE CHATEAUCREUX
16h30 SAINT ETIENNE CHATEAUCREUX TER 86227
VEL.gif

16h51 FIRMINY
17h50 FIRMINY CAR 6024 2e class
19h00 LE PUY EN VELAY

Bon Chemin!

I will be staying on Sunday night at the "Accueil St Francois" as recommended by a member of the "Amis de st Jacques". I was told that it is right up behind the cathedral (good location for the pilgrim mass)
You can have a single room for about 20€ breakfast included. ( No dinners on Sunday night). I think that the" Accueil" is run by nuns and has a work/insertion program, seems like an interesting place to stay, you can stay more than one night as it's not just for st Jacques walkers. I don't know how it works if you arrive late from Paris. At night you have a key or code to get in. So... in a few days I will have it all first hand!

Their address is
Accueil st Francois
6rue st. Mayor
Le puy
Tel: (33) 471059886. Call between. 9-12hr and 14hr -19hr

I wrote them asking for a two night reservation there (26 and 27 Oct), as I will be exhausted arriving from my 24 hr trip (Ithaca-Toronto-CDG-Gare de Lyon-St. Etienne-Firminy-Le puy). I should arrive in Le Puy at 19:00 and will take a taxi to come in time for dinner. Just waiting to hear from the nuns! When are you staying there?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@ElzbietaMaria hi. I suggest, unless you wish an extra journey into central Paris, you catch a TGV from CDG itself.

Going directly to the SNCF site I found:

https://uk.voyages-sncf.com/en/#/proposals/Paris CDG Airport/Le Puy-en-Velay/2017-10-05/17:00/passengers:adult;26;1/class:Economy/direct:0

That journey starts just before 17h (5pm) (allowing 2 hours clear) , has two changes, and arrives at Le Puy at 23h (11pm). An issue will be accommodation that takes you in at that hour.

I hope you enjoy your journey from Le Puy. For me the two standout gite were at:

1) Moissac - http://lapetitelumiere.org/fr/accueil.htm - Anne is a grand host and does a wonderful evening meal whether for two or a full house. Access is up a steepish pathway - no trouble if you've walked from Le Puy. The prize is an expansive view. And great conversations and insights. I stayed two nights to give a lay day.

2) Eauze - https://www.lagrangedemariefrance.com/ - Marie France is also a grand host and does a wonderful wonderful meal cooked as we sit on high chairs at an island bench facing the action, with a discussion of the merits of armangnac ("better than any other brandy, including imposters with a similar sounding name" - I paraphrase). I was suffering from a temporary leg-foot joint issue, so stayed two nights while Marie France ensured I saw a local doctor. On departure day she drove me to Manciet, 10 km away to ensure I got sufficient rest. And all this while she spoke no English, I spoke no French and without a third party, except at dinner.

And so many other encounters and experiences. A unique experience for me, given the circumstances of my journey, was the sending out from within the Cathedral after the 07h Pilgrim Mass. But the oh so wide a range of people I met and talked with (and I am an extreme introvert). I'm still buzzing nearly 18 months on.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Kelleymac! I will probably miss you in le puy as I will arrive on Sunday afternoon and head to st privat on Monday. But one never knows? I am slow and might need a day off to digest it all!
I will go in the early evening to the " Amis de st jaques de velay" cafe
(17hr30 to19hr30?) for the pleasure of meeting other walkers and hopefully some much need advice. I see that you are thinking about going with a donkey, there is a farm near Conques that rents them at about 250€ a week. "Les Anes de monédies" 0565784906.
I think there are still pilgrims on the way, but now it's the season for "retirees ". Everyone else at school or work....

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
No Orrisons in Le Puy or on GR until La Soulie

About 60 km due south from Figeac (which is on the GR 65) I can find a La Soulie. But this locality is nowhere near the GR 65!!!

While I have not stayed at Orisson (out of Saint-Jean) I have stayed at l'Abri du Jacquet at Saint-Privat-d'Allier.

This is the first gite one encounters when entering the town. It ahead and to the right at a cross roads, slightly above the road.
https://www.labridujacquet.fr/

This was my first stop walking alone in a country where English was little known.
Hosts Alain and Michèle made me feel especially welcome and provided a marvelous dinner and breakfast to all.
Being above the road, there were grand views of the valley to take in.

About 60 km due south from Figeac (which is on the GR 65) I can find a La Soulie. But this locality is nowhere near the GR 65!!!

While I have not stayed at Orisson (out of Saint-Jean) I have stayed at l'Abri du Jacquet at Saint-Privat-d'Allier.

This is the first gite one encounters when entering the town. It ahead and to the right at a cross roads, slightly above the road.
https://www.labridujacquet.fr/

This was my first stop walking alone in a country where English was little known.
Hosts Alain and Michèle made me feel especially welcome and provided a marvelous dinner and breakfast to all.
Being above the road, there were grand views of the valley to take in.

Hi Alwyn, its about 20km after Estaing , 4km before Espeyrac, by donation in a lovely garden setting
A church service amongst pilgrims , pretty low key , in late afternoon.
Michel welcome you with a cold one and the bed rooms are private
You participate in the evening cooking ,
Its a wonderful experience.
Page 22 MMDD or
Gite d' étape , Accueil au Soulie de Saint jacques , Espeyrac.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Gite d' étape , Accueil au Soulie de Saint jacques , Espeyrac [about] 4km before Espeyrac

@Thornley . Yes, I can see Le Soulie now on Open Street Maps (using Google Maps before and searching for La Soulie)

In early April I had walked from Saint-Come-d'Olt to Golinhac. I had already encountered muddy paths and was keen to avoid them wherever possible. So the next day I walked the D42 to Espeyrac and beyond, leaving it just before Conques. Thus missing Le Soulie and other hamlets I could see in the valley below.

Below are a few images I took en route that day.

DSCN1695 d07 on 2016 04 12 Tue @ 11h34 - lunch stop at 600 m (2000 ft) asl - copy.JPG
day 07 on 2016 04 12 @ 11h34 - lunch stop

DSCN1696 d07 on 2016 04 12 Tue @ 11h34 - speard for a picnic - copy.JPG
day 07 on 2016 04 12 @ 11h34 - spread for a picnic (I've improved/progressed: I now have two poles)

DSCN1721 d07 on 2016 04 12 Tue @ 13h02 - field cafe approaching Conques - copy.JPG
day 07 on 2016 04 12 @ 13h02 - field cafe approaching Conques

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back