• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camiño Frances in 20 days

Jose Neto

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi,

I am thinking about doing the full Camiño Frances in 20 days (35/40 km per day). Is it feasible? Does anyody did so? WHat´s the main issues?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Jose - welcome to the forum.

Blisters, tendonitis, sleep...! I'm sure there are many other issues but those come to mind right away :D

It can be done, however. I've read of marathon runners doing it in the past but the question that may come up is 'why'? Even though guidebooks make it appear so, there really isn't a 'full' Camino, it's just a decision of where you start. You could start in Burgos and have a pleasent walk into SDC without the pain and exertion and enjoy the scenery each day. Just a thought...

Good luck with your planning.

Well, first, I have only 20 days, and that´s all. I know there are other options (start in burgos, do it in 2 different years, start walking, then ride a bus, and then finish walking), but none of them really got me. I am kinda fit and did other physical challenges (i.e. climbed Kilimanjaro) and, theoretically, walk 7 hours per day (5am-12) does not seem impossible, but I would like to share some thoughts with someone who did something similar...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked my first Camino Frances in 1990 in 23 days. With the much lighter pack weight which is possible now because of more frequent accommodation 20 days is probably possible for someone reasonably fit and used to long daily distances. Amongst the practical challenges may be the risk of overuse injuries such as stress fractures in the feet when going rapidly from a mainly static lifestyle to daily distances of 40km or so. A very real risk as I can personally testify.The time of year may also play a part: in the warmer and busier months much of the accommodation fills early in the day and to sustain an average of 35-40km you will have to walk into late afternoon or early evening. Booking in advance would help there but also commits you to fixed stages which you might prefer to vary as you go. Walking in winter in Spain means days are short and you may find it hard to make your daily stages in daylight. Weather is also very unpredictable and a few bad days may throw your tight schedule out completely. On a less practical matter you will probably also have to prepare yourself for people to question your motives for walking at such speed. There is a very vocal group who will insist that the only true camino is a slow camino. Something you may find yourself arguing against.

Thanks a lot Bradypus!

On your journey, how many hours per day did you walk? I am thinking about leaving really early in the day (4:30, 5am) and walk during 6, 7 hours, reaching around noon. Do you think it´s feasible? I am wonder to start early in may 2018.

You have asked if 35-40 km daily for 20 days is feasible. Since you are the only one who can answer that question for youself, I respectfully suggest that you put on your backpack and begin walking some back to back days of that distance. Listen to your body and learn about your abilities and limitations. That knowledge will pay off in many ways. Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
On my first Camino Frances there was no bed race and in many places I was the only pilgrim staying. I started well after dawn and walked until lunchtime. I then stopped to eat and rest before walking for two or three hours and finishing in late afternoon or early evening. Pressure of numbers competing for beds makes that pattern difficult to manage these days. Setting off very early in the morning would mean walking sections in the dark which I personally dislike and find quite dangerous at times. You are also likely to make yourself very unpopular with other pilgrims in albergues if you disturb their sleep at such early hours. I really would advise against it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi @Jose Neto ! I take from your Shirt that you are a Brazilian sufferer (Fluminense's supporter!) am I right?? ;):D:p

I'm a brazilian myself and I can tell that 20 days (if you are fit) is very feasible! I know everyone has a different opinion on if you actually should as "this would be agaisnt the Camino's own characteristic of making you slow down from your real world routine" ( this is just one of the criticisms you will find). But, everyone has their own opinion on everything... And I - personally - find that there are other (way )more common ways to kind of mess up the "way the Camino is supposed to be walked, or appreciated, etc" and bla de bla de bla (sending backpacks ahead by car, booking beds, excessive use of the internet , buses, taxis, etc are some crossing my mind... But once again, this is all personal opinion. Everyone has their own - Fellow pilgrims from the forum, do not throw rocks at me !! :D:D:cool::rolleyes:)

I have walked the Camino Frances roughly in 20 days (considering SJPP as start) more than once , without planning to do so...

Particularly, as I've walked the Frances more than once in the past, I already know most of the towns and small villages...It kind of bothers me arriving somewhere around 1pm and just waiting, doing nothing all afternoon/evening... So I prefer to be actually walking...

Take my inputs with a grain of salt:
- All the Caminos I managed to average 35k+/day were walked between late autumn and early spring. On hot weather, I cannot walk past 1pm at all... But again, I wouldnt ever be on the Camino Frances during summer (IMHO).
- I'm also very fit and used to pain and high-intensity outdoor activities. I've been rock climbing and on endless high-altitude alpine endeavors: Walking fairly flat paths carrying "only" 10% of my body weight doesn't hit me that hard!

If you want to be on "the safe side" I suggest leaving from Pamplona: If I'm assuming right, and you are indeed a Brazilian (not even sure if you are living somewhere else abroad), you can fly direct to Madri, from there get a train or domestic flight to Pamplona and walk from there. Your experience will not be impacted at all by missing those initial stages (SJPP to Pamplona), and, if you walk too fast, you can walk to finisterra and muxia after arriving in Santiago.

Just one more thing: Even if you are really fit, plan yourself for some training on longer periods of walking carrying a backpack for several days on a row... This impacts your body in a way that you will only find out after several days doing the same activity.

Buen Camino !!!

Hi,

I am thinking about doing the full Camiño Frances in 20 days (35/40 km per day). Is it feasible? Does anyody did so? WHat´s the main issues?

Do not listen to the "rightness-police"......I am saying it with a smile on my face, but there is a serious side to it....

Why.....cause sceptisism often comes from fellow peregrinos without real experience. Either that or the struggle with kilometers did not add up, physically or mentally...

It's your camino man! Of course it's feasible with 35-40 km.....it all depends of if your body is up for the work you have to put down each day.

First off is how much you walked on homesoil with kilos and gear you bring down...

Secondly....Say ...if you walk 20km at home without any need for breaks...then you can roughly double or more on a full "caminoday"...

Thirdly.....Say 5 km/h ...which means 8 hours plus breaks and rest....that adds up to 12 hours on the go each day....

Last, but not least....you need to plan albuerges a lot more carefully....you finish later than the majorety of walkers

All this depending on that you do not push...have a good flow...and are able to pickup early signs of discomfort, and correct issues right away...

((Pack all up evening before...going total stealth out of dorm...?...of course!))

Bom Caminho my forum friend. I support you!

Last edited by a moderator:
All great hints!

Yes, Vlebe, I am Brazilian and Tricolor! I am thinking about doing that in early May. I will do it alone and normally i am a fast walker. I am thinking about 4.5 to 5 km/h with a 5kg backpack. I normally walk 10 km everyday in my normal life, but i do not want to underestimate the challenge. No technology on daytime might also help me to save some time.

I am evaluating all the options for 20 days, but the felling of trying the whole camino is catching my attention most of the time. I am sure people tend to be judgemental on this type of thing, but any advice is important and welcomed, although the decision is 100% individual.

PlutseligPilegrim, thanks for the heads up on the attention to others and, yes, it is very important. ALbergues are also on the list... maybe some investment on private ones to make sure I will have good nights of sleep without bother other pilegrims.

Thanks once more!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am a snail so can’t offer any personal experience but did meet several pilgrims doing 35-40 km days. Quite a few were Koreans who like you had a limited amount of time in which to walk the camino. They would usually arrive at albergues around 5 pm to shower, wash clothes, eat vast amounts and fall into bed. It can be done.

Well, first, I have only 20 days, and that´s all. I know there are other options (start in burgos, do it in 2 different years, start walking, then ride a bus, and then finish walking), but none of them really got me. I am kinda fit and did other physical challenges (i.e. climbed Kilimanjaro) and, theoretically, walk 7 hours per day (5am-12) does not seem impossible, but I would like to share some thoughts with someone who did something similar...
What time of the year are you thinking of running this Camino Marathon? In winter many albergues are closed; the higher parts of the Camino are either closed or will have snow. Of course in July or August you can get day temps up to 45'. So pick either May or Sep/Nov. best of luck!

Probably starting around Mat 10th, St Mike. Temperature, humidity, daylight in good balance.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you're determined to do it in 20 days, then you can and will do it in 20 days

Hi - in my personal experience it is entirely possible to do this, if that's what you want to do. With plenty of training beforehand including with a loaded pack, if you are fit and healthy, then go for it. On my only camino experience so far (which was a fairly long one, distance-wise) I found myself walking pretty long days after the first week or two - it took that long to get into the groove of walking for me. Prior to that, I was walking 20-30km/day. Having said all that, on my next camino (there will be one!) I intend to purposefully walk shorter days, as in retrospect, I felt that I was a little rushed (for various reasons). When you don't have an unlimited amount of time and money, there is always a compromise to be made somewhere, in order to fit the experience you want to fit in to your life. My last piece of advice, which others have already said, is to listen to your body and your heart as you go along in your camino. What you want to do now might not be what you want to do by the time you're halfway through your journey. Good luck, and buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am evaluating all the options for 20 days, but the felling of trying the whole camino is catching my attention most of the time. I am sure people tend to be judgemental on this type of thing, but any advice is important and welcomed, although the decision is 100% individual.

PlutseligPilegrim, thanks for the heads up on the attention to others and, yes, it is very important. ALbergues are also on the list... maybe some investment on private ones to make sure I will have good nights of sleep without bother other pilegrims.

Thanks once more!

Hey @Jose Neto just another two cents for you to not limit all your options: there is no such a thing as a "whole camino"...

The start SJPP is merely a convention that became over hyped due to books, movies, etc...

The Caminos come from way before these more known "starting points"... Before Saint Jean pied port it comes through beautiful paths all the way "starting" in Le Puy....and if you research about that area, you'll see that more paths led to Le Puy way before... Somewhere else...

So don't worry about walking "the whole camino"... Just go and walk it! Be reasonable with yourself and go for it!

Experiences vary, for instance: I'd rather start in Pamplona and walk all the way to muxia and finisterra, than starting in SJPP and stopping in Santiago... It's all about trying new things!

So... Don't worry! Just do it! ☺️:cool::D

The first thing you will recognize is that the first 10 or so days are much more difficult than they appear because of the changes in elevation and surfaces you will be climbing, most specifically, descending can be very hard on your feet which can lead to foot issues when you are walking with that intensity including shin splints (example below). You can cover more territory at a faster pace and less tension once you leave Burgos, at least until you walk out of Astorga; so if I were you; I would plan very strategically on how you mark out your 20 day plan, i.e. planning an average of 40 per day will be counterproductive. There are some places where you will want to walk 45-50 Km to offset shorter walks earlier in trip which will also give you time to build your stamina. Given your fitness this could very well be manageable, but you will suffer because that pace day after day will be difficult and your feet and shins will not be used to it. I am making the assumption you don't have time to train at these fitness requirements just the willpower to take on the challenge.

Attachments

• 455A277F-1FCB-4671-B47D-D3B961FDFF41.JPG
    455A277F-1FCB-4671-B47D-D3B961FDFF41.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 33
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I met 4 people who had that same time line.

A couple from Italy who would run /walk it traveled over 40-45 k every day. They just carried running clothes & light Down blanket apiece. I met them in Melide. Quite happy they were. I only caught a little info from a Croatian that could speak many languages. Amazing person, as remarkable as the couple. In their 30's

A man from Wales that trained every year to walk it in 20-23 days, it was his way of doing a spiritual pilgrimage, much honoring the body god blessed him with. It was his 3rd year doing it. 35 yo be my best guess

A Canadian man that I spoke briefly with due to his amazing pace, started in early morning & stopped at dark. In his 50's

They all could do this back then one always found a bed any time of day.

Last edited:
If you need to or have to slow down, I am completely confident that you will take care of yourself and do that! Seriously, who are "we" to tell you that you can't do it? Give it a try, and let us know how it goes.

Best of luck to you, and have a wonderful time.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Jose,
I am 60 years old and have clocked up about 2,000 km on Camino in Spain & Portugal over the last few years, all during the Northern Spring. When I am "in the groove" I find that I can comfortably walk 40+ km in a day, averaging about 6 km per hour, with my pack and sticks. Of course some sectors are more challenging due to terrain, however I am sure you can achieve your 20 day plan as long as you don't get sick or injured. Just be prepared to adjust as the Camino can throw up some surprises. I wish you Buen Camino.

The first thing you will recognize is that the first 10 or so days are much more difficult than they appear because of the changes in elevation and surfaces you will be climbing, most specifically, descending can be very hard on your feet which can lead to foot issues when you are walking with that intensity including shin splints (example below). You can cover more territory at a faster pace and less tension once you leave Burgos, at least until you walk out of Astorga; so if I were you; I would plan very strategically on how you mark out your 20 day plan, i.e. planning an average of 40 per day will be counterproductive. There are some places where you will want to walk 45-50 Km to offset shorter walks earlier in trip which will also give you time to build your stamina. Given your fitness this could very well be manageable, but you will suffer because that pace day after day will be difficult and your feet and shins will not be used to it. I am making the assumption you don't have time to train at these fitness requirements just the willpower to take on the challenge.

Kent, was your picture taken just outside of Atapuerca? I remember the reddish rocks and wire fence warning of the military practice range!IMG_0611.JPG

You choose your own reasons to walk and what type of experience you're looking for. What you see and what you miss will be entirely up to you. I will echo the safety concerns that others have spoken of. If you are convinced that setting off at 4:30-5:00 every morning is the way to go, make sure that you have a STRONG light and a pretty good idea of what the route is supposed to look like. (Review the map the night before). I only set out in the dark a couple of times before realizing this wasn't for me. Some rural stretches of the Way are very dark in the early morning. Possible fog too. Ran into that a couple of times. Check out the picture above. Trying to cover ground like that too fast is a recipe for disaster! You asked 'can it be done?' Of course it can! We are all capable of doing so much more than we think we can. I wish you the best of luck. You still have several months to fully consider if this is what you want to do.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So much good advice and optimism...Thats super duper.

One thing I forgot to mention which been stated by fellow pelegrinos...heres my take on it;

The variations of any given day while walking....

I look upon it in thirds...

1/3 of distance. This is my stamina without breatherfrom homesoil . That is a safehold distance. A minimum if you will

1/3 of kilometers more and I'm round the average figure more or less.....

1/3 more of covered ground on top of that. Sometimes you have to. Sometimes you want to. Plain and simple.

My last camino had it's shortest day with 17 km. Thats just fine when I listen carefully in on whats going on bodywise. Another day I did 62. planned ones because of lacking albuerge in rural Portugal. (I did several days 50 plus.)

After day 12 everything was MUCH more stable.

It's my fourth now and the stats show the same picture more or less. I reckon its a picture of the physical capasities, and that I'm. somewhat driven....walker more than talker.

Downside is that I walked away from some epic company many a time.

Hola @zrexer - yes that is exactly where it is taken - say about 2 maybe 3 km from the village. I have a photo of my walking companion in roughly this area which shows her nearly 2 metres above me. This is one area where our OP will really have to watch where he is putting his feet. Cheers

So much good advice and optimism...Thats super duper.

One thing I forgot to mention which been stated by fellow pelegrinos...heres my take on it;

The variations of any given day while walking....

I look upon it in thirds...

1/3 of distance. This is my stamina without breakes from homesoil . That is a safehold distance. A minimum if you will

1/3 of kilometers more and I'm round the average figure more or less.....

1/3 more of covered ground on top of that. Sometimes you have to. Sometimes you want to. Plain and simple.

My last camino had slowest day with 17 km. Thats just fine when I listen carefully in on whats going on bodywise. Another day I did 62. planned ones because of lacking albuerge in rural Portugal. (I did several days 50 plus.)

After day 12 everything was MUCH more stable.

It's my fourth now and the stats show the same picture more or less. I reckon its a picture of the physical capasities, and that I'm. somewhat driven....walker more than talker.

Downside is that I walked away from some epic company many a time.

Hope this is helpful

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On my first Camino Frances there was no bed race and in many places I was the only pilgrim staying. I started well after dawn and walked until lunchtime. I then stopped to eat and rest before walking for two or three hours and finishing in late afternoon or early evening. Pressure of numbers competing for beds makes that pattern difficult to manage these days. Setting off very early in the morning would mean walking sections in the dark which I personally dislike and find quite dangerous at times. You are also likely to make yourself very unpopular with other pilgrims in albergues if you disturb their sleep at such early hours. I really would advise against it.
Couldn't agree more about the unpopular part. If you got up at 4:40 you would wake everyone up.

When you don't have an unlimited amount of time and money, there is always a compromise to be made somewhere, in order to fit the experience you want to fit in to your life.
patience & faith!!! i really like what you have said!

Hi Jose,

I think you've chosen a good time of year if you are to do the walk in 20 days, relatively cool (though not always) and long enough days to avoid walking in the dark. And I certainly think it's very doable, I as a very overweight, though fairly fit forty something was able to churn out 40km plus days on the flatter stages without too much stress.

My one word of caution though would be to plan your days. Rather than just doing 40kms every days check the route profile and recognise that some days it will make sense to do 30-35kms and others 45-50kms. Also as has been alluded to by others perhaps try and take it a little easy in the first few days until you feel comfortable with what you can do on consecutive days.

Good luck,

Rob.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hey @Jose Neto just another two cents for you to not limit all your options: there is no such a thing as a "whole camino"...

The start SJPP is merely a convention that became over hyped due to books, movies, etc...

The Caminos come from way before these more known "starting points"... Before Saint Jean pied port it comes through beautiful paths all the way "starting" in Le Puy....and if you research about that area, you'll see that more paths led to Le Puy way before... Somewhere else...

So don't worry about walking "the whole camino"... Just go and walk it! Be reasonable with yourself and go for it!

Experiences vary, for instance: I'd rather start in Pamplona and walk all the way to muxia and finisterra, than starting in SJPP and stopping in Santiago... It's all about trying new things!

So... Don't worry! Just do it! ☺️:cool::D

I totally agree. I have a small draft starting from Pamplona and going to Finisterre... 3 days aove 50km, though. Still need some work on it. Thanks!

You choose your own reasons to walk and what type of experience you're looking for. What you see and what you miss will be entirely up to you. I will echo the safety concerns that others have spoken of. If you are convinced that setting off at 4:30-5:00 every morning is the way to go, make sure that you have a STRONG light and a pretty good idea of what the route is supposed to look like. (Review the map the night before). I only set out in the dark a couple of times before realizing this wasn't for me. Some rural stretches of the Way are very dark in the early morning. Possible fog too. Ran into that a couple of times. Check out the picture above. Trying to cover ground like that too fast is a recipe for disaster! You asked 'can it be done?' Of course it can! We are all capable of doing so much more than we think we can. I wish you the best of luck. You still have several months to fully consider if this is what you want to do.
Yes, after some heads up, i think it´s better leave at 6. I have no problem walking morning and afternoon, although in my first draft there are still 3 or 4 very long days... ut things are clearer now.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Jose,

I think you've chosen a good time of year if you are to do the walk in 20 days, relatively cool (though not always) and long enough days to avoid walking in the dark. And I certainly think it's very doable, I as a very overweight, though fairly fit forty something was able to churn out 40km plus days on the flatter stages without too much stress.

My one word of caution though would be to plan your days. Rather than just doing 40kms every days check the route profile and recognise that some days it will make sense to do 30-35kms and others 45-50kms. Also as has been alluded to by others perhaps try and take it a little easy in the first few days until you feel comfortable with what you can do on consecutive days.

Good luck,

Rob.
Sure. I do think to go day by day to adequate the km with the terrain and timeframe, as PlutseligPilegrim said. Doing a fast draft, the plan would be like that:

From To Km Acc KM Walk hs Arrival time
Day 1 Pamplona Estella 46.80 46.80 10.40 16.40
Day 2 Estella Vianna 40.30 87.10 8.96 14.96
Day 3 Vianna Azofra 45.30 132.40 10.07 16.07
Day 4 Azofra Vill.Mt.de Oca 51.00 183.40 11.33 17.33
Day 5 Vill.Mt.de Oca Burgos 39.00 222.40 8.67 14.67
Day 6 Burgos Castrojeriz 41.70 264.10 9.27 15.27
Day 7 Castrojeriz Carr.deContes 45.00 309.10 10.00 16.00
Day 8 Carr.deContes Calz. del Coto 45.20 354.30 10.04 16.04
Day 9 Calz. del Coto Leon 52.10 406.40 11.58 17.58
Day 10 Leon Hosp.deObrigo33.20 439.60 7.38 13.38
Day 11 Hosp.deObrigo Foncebadon 43.30 482.90 9.62 15.62
Day 12 Foncebadon Cacabelos 43.70 526.60 9.71 15.71
Day 13 Cacabelos O Cebreiro 36.50 563.10 8.11 14.11
Day 14 O Cebreiro Sarria 47.00 610.10 10.44 16.44
Day 15 Sarria Palas de Rei 48.70 658.80 10.82 16.82
Day 16 Palas de Rei Pedrouzo 48.50 707.30 10.78 16.78
Day 17 Pedrouzo Santiago 20.50 727.80 4.56 10.56
Day 18 Santiago Vilaserio 34.00 761.80 7.56 13.56
Day 19 Vilaserio Finisterre 57.00 818.80 12.67 18.67

Still a lot of work to do...

Sure. I do think to go day by day to adequate the km with the terrain and timeframe, as PlutseligPilegrim said. Doing a fast draft, the plan would be like that:

Wow! The good thing is if you have any trouble for any reason early on you can always jump forward. You make your own rules..

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Jose, all the way to Finistere; this is an impressive objective. In the first 16 days you are basically going as far as a marathon on 11 of the days. Given the terrain, your feet are going to swell significantly so I would be very careful about the shoe size that you decide upon, at least 1 size bigger than normal. I would also be proactive by bringing a steroid for your shins ( you can purchase on the trail) and be careful with your tendons; your health is going to be key, probably even more than your fitness. You will definitely experience some pain but it can be overcome. Days 14,15,16 will be challenging but yet probably a good strategy. Buen Camino

Jose, all the way to Finistere; this is an impressive objective. In the first 16 days you are basically going as far as a marathon on 11 of the days. Given the terrain, your feet are going to swell significantly so I would be very careful about the shoe size that you decide upon, at least 1 size bigger than normal. I would also be proactive by bringing a steroid for your shins ( you can purchase on the trail) and be careful with your tendons; your health is going to be key, probably even more than your fitness. You will definitely experience some pain but it can be overcome. Days 14,15,16 will be challenging but yet probably a good strategy. Buen Camino
I am now checking the terrain, and I have a spare day to include... thinking about turn the first 4 days into 5 (down the average 45km to 36 km in the period), but still researching the best cities to stop.

Makes a lot of sense, the terrain can be brutal in the beginning and the descent from Foncebadon is a day to be careful on distance. Terrain Example from the first few days is attached.

Attachments

• C098B6F7-9F32-4DC6-B0F2-266C9695EDDF.JPG
    C098B6F7-9F32-4DC6-B0F2-266C9695EDDF.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi,

Something that turned up on my last Camino over and over again:

"La tortuga conoce mejor el Camino que la liebre."
"The tortoise knows more of the Camino than the hare."

Just something to think about ...
Buen Camino whoever you decide to do it ... SY

PS A "full Camino" is/was traditionally one that started at your own door step and back again ... anything else is a compromise, so don't put yourself under too much (time) stress ...

You are a planner Jose.....good for you...it helps you in preparations ahead.....but....and there is a but...

Your restitution....your quality of sleeping!....there are numerous factors that is truly out of anyones pockets...

In other words....the only thing you can plan is that plans is ever changing....and your camino change accordingly...

I now I babble to much.....I'll stop....just get out walking steadily on homesoil, testing gear all along, and your camino is going to bee sweet. Whatever happens!!

Regards from Norway

By using the search function you will find one of my threads answering this question including my stages.

On my first Camino in 2010 (54 y.o. female) I walked from St Jean to Santiago in 21 days, 23 to Finisterre. This was not planned but I felt good on day 2 and walked from Roncesvalles to Pamplona. After that I got into the routine of walking an average of 40 per day, sometimes longer, other days shorter. This is not for everyone but it worked for me. It was in July and Holy Year and so very busy, much like it is now. I usually left around 5.30 (people were up and out before me so no way to sleep ) and walked till around 3, making usually 2 stops for coffee or to eat/rest. I saw no one in the afternoon so it was quite peaceful, I never reserved as I stayed in municipal albergues. What I did do is stay between the "official" stages.

8 years on and 14 Caminos later - at 61 - I still will average 33-35 km a day with the occasional 40-45 km. Why? Because I can and actually enjoy it. And no, I do not rush but walk an average of 5 kph, stopping to talk to locals or fellow pilgrims.

I would say give it a shot but be flexible. No two Caminos are the same and one never knows what lies ahead.

Ultreia
LT
p.s. my pack weights no more than 5-7 kg depending on the season and water
p.p.s. I do not have a sedentary job and spin, walk, bike or practice yoga daily so have a decent all-round fitness.

I'm on the Camino now (Leon). One thing I've learnt is that you can't 'know' the Camino until you start walking it. Of course you can research and get some information, but it's very different when actually doing it.
For me the Camino is a giant. I average 35kms a day and my average speed is 6km per hour. I walk quite quickly because I always walk quickly - so its my natural speed. I start walking at 6:30 am. I don't know when I will finish because I never really think about it. Each day is like a different Camino. I can't imagine doing the Camino to a precise schedule.
If you want to do it in 20 days then make sure your pack weighs 6kg or less. If your pack weighs more than 6kg then I would say you won't be able to do it in 20 days. There have been some fit young guys carrying too much who have had to skip parts or abandon the Camino altogether because of injuries and tiredness.

By using the search function you will find one of my threads answering this question including my stages.

On my first Camino in 2010 (54 y.o. female) I walked from St Jean to Santiago in 21 days, 23 to Finisterre. This was not planned but I felt good on day 2 and walked from Roncesvalles to Pamplona. After that I got into the routine of walking an average of 40 per day, sometimes longer, other days shorter. This is not for everyone but it worked for me. It was in July and Holy Year and so very busy, much like it is now. I usually left around 5.30 (people were up and out before me so no way to sleep ) and walked till around 3, making usually 2 stops for coffee or to eat/rest. I saw no one in the afternoon so it was quite peaceful, I never reserved as I stayed in municipal albergues. What I did do is stay between the "official" stages.

8 years on and 14 Caminos later - at 61 - I still will average 33-35 km a day with the occasional 40-45 km. Why? Because I can and actually enjoy it. And no, I do not rush but walk an average of 5 kph, stopping to talk to locals or fellow pilgrims.

I would say give it a shot but be flexible. No two Caminos are the same and one never knows what lies ahead.

Ultreia
LT
p.s. my pack weights no more than 5-7 kg depending on the season and water
p.p.s. I do not have a sedentary job and spin, walk, bike or practice yoga daily so have a decent all-round fitness.
That´s a great experience! I really think that walk during afternoon bring a different perspective to the journey. When I climbed Kilimanjaro, I got a less crowded route, in order to really feel myself in the journey. That´s something I am really looking forward to. Pack will be around 5kg. Check. Between official cities. Check. 5:30. Check! Thanks!!

I'm on the Camino now (Leon). One thing I've learnt is that you can't 'know' the Camino until you start walking it. Of course you can research and get some information, but it's very different when actually doing it.
For me the Camino is a giant. I average 35kms a day and my average speed is 6km per hour. I walk quite quickly because I always walk quickly - so its my natural speed. I start walking at 6:30 am. I don't know when I will finish because I never really think about it. Each day is like a different Camino. I can't imagine doing the Camino to a precise schedule.
If you want to do it in 20 days then make sure your pack weighs 6kg or less. If your pack weighs more than 6kg then I would say you won't be able to do it in 20 days. There have been some fit young guys carrying too much who have had to skip parts or abandon the Camino altogether because of injuries and tiredness.
Wow! 6km/h is huge! I am calculating around 4.5. It´s not really a precise schedule, but all the time I have to do that. If I think I won´t make it, it´s always time to improvise. Thanks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, everybody is different. I averaged 4 km/hr on the Camino, and just over 20km per day. Turns out that while the rest of my body is up for walking farther, my feet just aren't - not day after day after day. I didn't know that until I got there though. I think my longest day was about 27km. So there's no way I would plan the "whole" Camino in 20 days. But if you think you are up for it, then sure, why not? If it turns out that you can't keep up that kind of mileage, then you can always bus ahead to make up some ground.

And don't worry about getting up too early and being unpopular with the other pilgrims - you'll out-pace everybody, so you are unlikely to see most people again ;)

Well, my comfort zone is 20-25km/day. And I won't get too smart here but... ;)

Very good advice in above posts, from size of the boots to pack weight etc. You'll get the picture once there no doubt.
But I think days 4, 12 and 19 can be a bit too strenuous, at least in my view.

Would really love to hear how it goes eventually.

Anyway, I wish you all the luck, no shin splints or other injuries and a lot of joy!

Last edited:
@Jose Neto hi and prepared a worksheet to follow your calculations

Can't upload a worksheet so got a screen shot instead.

Hope you find it helpful. Let me know of any issues.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Daily Planner on 2017 09 27 @ 19h09.png

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Jose Neto, best of luck with your endeavor. That's 20 marathons, every day for 20 days. I'm just curious: are you used to walking long distances? I'm really just asking out of curiosity. I used to make similar though less ambitious calculations when I was only used to mountain trekking where you measure distances in hours and not km ;). It did not prepare me for camino walking ... 42 km is the furthest I ever walked, and only once. :cool:

Yes, it can be done but don't underestimate the amount of continuous long distance walking people had done before they did it.
I am sure it will be very hard... but if I can´t make it, there's always a bus to catch.

I used to make similar though less ambitious calculations when I was only used to mountain trekking where you measure distances in hours and not km ;). It did not prepare me for camino walking ... 42 km is the furthest I ever walked, and only once.

Yes! I've done a lot of hiking in the mountains - both the Sierras and the Coast range in California - so I was definitely ready for the hills. What I didn't anticipate was the toll that the day-after-day, long hours of walking takes on the body and especially the feet. And all that walking on the flat was actually the hardest part for me. My feet were in total revolt across the Meseta.

... walking on the flat was actually the hardest part for me.

I know that feeling from my training. In particular, after nearly four weeks walking from Le Puy-en-Velay, I left Saint-Jean early May 2016 . I quickly fell into taking very very very short steps (and breathing out on the left foot fall and in on the right) on the very very very steep ascent and made Orisson without stopping.

When approaching Orisson, my eyes could see the road level out ahead of me but my head was still in "going up" mode. It took quite a number of paces for eyes and head to get back in sync, and to keep upright.

Hi,

As long as you’re prepared to be alone it shouldn’t be an issue. You’ll be walking faster and farther each day than 99%+ of the other pilgrims. That means you won’t be walking with others and you won’t see any of the same people each night at your albergue.

My biggest fear in walking the CF was loneliness. I shouldn’t have been afraid, because I made lifelong friends on my Camino. I did have to slow down at one point though to stay with my Camino family. I’m glad I did. If these things are unimportant to you, then I don’t see issues with getting it done in 20 days beside the obvious ones of health and stamina.

On the other hand, if you are hoping to make lasting connections with people, I suggest starting at Burgos. You should be able to complete the CF from there in 20 days, and you will be more likely to make connections.

As long as you’re prepared to be alone it shouldn’t be an issue. You’ll be walking faster and farther each day than 99%+ of the other pilgrims. That means you won’t be walking with others and you won’t see any of the same people each night at your albergue.

My biggest fear in walking the CF was loneliness. I shouldn’t have been afraid, because I made lifelong friends on my Camino. I did have to slow down at one point though to stay with my Camino family. I’m glad I did. If these things are unimportant to you, then I don’t see issues with getting it done in 20 days beside the obvious ones of health and stamina.

On the other hand, if you are hoping to make lasting connections with people, I suggest starting at Burgos. You should be able to complete the CF from there in 20 days, and you will be more likely to make connections.
I think one of the interesting things about the Camino is how each person have built in reaction to others & how they approach the humanity that flows with them. Seems everyone gets an internal education about them selves. Those that have done multiple Camino's like anything become more comfortable. So when doing the first one most have surprises to adapt to. Depending on the person & the issue sometimes that is enough to stop the walk for them. The thing about the long distance walkers I spoke to was there ability to keep everything very simple. Very little gear, focus on movement down the road.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Jose - welcome to the forum.

Blisters, tendonitis, sleep...! I'm sure there are many other issues but those come to mind right away :D

It can be done, however. I've read of marathon runners doing it in the past but the question that may come up is 'why'? Even though guidebooks make it appear so, there really isn't a 'full' Camino, it's just a decision of where you start. You could start in Burgos and have a pleasent walk into SDC without the pain and exertion and enjoy the scenery each day. Just a thought...

Good luck with your planning.

Just plain stupid. What's the point? Maybe after you finish, you'll appreciate the Camino and do it again and soak it all in.

Hi,

I did in 24 days once it's not easy but for some odd reason I was on fire :) not to mention the fact that my tolerance level towards some inconsiderate pilgrims had reached a limit I just wanted to get over with
zzotte

Hi,

I walked my first Camino in 2013.I started walking in St.Jean.I had 6 weeks vacation,so time enough.The first two days I walked 25km-27 km.But the 3th day I started in Larrasoana and stopped in Puente la Reina.I took me 21 days to come to Santiago.And only the last day was a little difficult,but then I did the walk from Melide.Everything after Pedrouzo was full.It was great

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Just plain stupid. What's the point? Maybe after you finish, you'll appreciate the Camino and do it again and soak it all in.
I don't think it matters how fast you walk it, as it may take people 45 plus yet it draws them back as well. It is their walk & time.

This is exactly what I hope we can avoid. With all respect....beeing judgemental is not tolerance for all and everyone on this forum.

Sir. We are all very different and by that we seek a variety of ways to make the camino our own. I'm sure we can all agree about that.

Jose......it will simmer in the months to come....and to deliberate is a important part of the preparations.....thats the focus...

(((Lets hear more of homesoil walks and scenery in Brazil...it must bee veeery different..)))

Hi,

No. Firstly and most importantly, why rush? It's not a contest and as so many have probably noted in other comments, the journey is everything, not the destination. BUT, if you want this to be a gruelling physical test and not much else, you could do a different trek that is geared for more of an extreme sport approach. I had 26 days to work with and lost 3 to injury (overdoing it with a pre-existing injury) so I had to use a bike for 2 1/2 days and a bus to skip 70kms involving another big downhill. So I took 23 days and the cycling was the most gruelling thing I've done. It worked for me but I would NOT recommend it at all. 20 days is not going to be fun. And you'll be either rushing or exhausted so you won't interact with all the amazing people around you.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi,

Jose, I would have thought that it was impossible. However, in June, I met Karen, a delightful 52 year old woman from Hong Kong---who did SJPP to Santiago in 18 days! I met her on the way up to O Cebreiro, when we ducked into a bar to avoid lightning. When I saw her six days later, in Santiago, she had already been to Finisterre and Muxia. She was amazing. When I commented that her speed would prevent her from enjoying relationships along the way, she said that she had made friends with some of the bikers. We're all different. Different strokes....

Thanks a lot Bradypus!

On your journey, how many hours per day did you walk? I am thinking about leaving really early in the day (4:30, 5am) and walk during 6, 7 hours, reaching around noon. Do you think it´s feasible? I am wonder to start early in may 2018.

Best of Luck! We all walk the Camino in our own way.....

Some things that come to mind.

1. Be well prepared the night before so you can leave in the morning without disturbing others :oops: I presume you plan to stay in Albergues? (Though even if you upset some other Pilgrims, you won't see them again as you'll be leaving them far behind each day!).
  2. Covering 40 kms in 6 or 7 hours means maintaining a pace of of over 6 kph. That's fairly quick.
  3. Then you need to allow for rest breaks. At least 10-15 mins every couple of hours. Boots off, elevate the feet if you can.
  4. Repetitive use injury will be your biggest challenge. Tendonitis, shin splints and the like. These will be a very real danger for you. Learn about how to avoid them and how to treat them now. Talk to medical professionals.
  5. Depending how fit you are, and how you cope with the day to day stresses, I would consider walking slower. Still doing your 20 days, but slow down, maybe walking 8-10 hours a day. This would allow for plenty of breaks and not having to 'pound along' the road sections just to keep to your schedule.
Good luck!

Brien Crothers, a forum member here (@BrienC), did the Camino Frances in 20 days and also wrote a book about it called "Su Camino...20 Days - 785 Kilometers - Camino de Santiago." It's available from Amazon.com. In addition to recounting his day-to-day experiences, the book contains a whole section on training and preparation for such a speedy undertaking.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back