• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Black magic or devilment?

Stephen

Time of past OR future Camino
Twice walked from St Jean to Estella and once from Sarria to Santiago. Maybe someday I'll find the time to do the entire walk.
I've found the time. Just completed SJPP to Santiago. 25 Aug to 1st Oct, 2016.
And now the Portuguese from Lisbon.
I saw this hanging from the branch of a tree on the VdlP between Monesterio and Fuente de Cantos. It looks like a pigs skull.
I'd say devilment.

Attachments

• 20170925_085740.jpg
    20170925_085740.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 3,029
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well, if you want pictures of weird stuff found on the Camino, how about this from our Portuguese Camino this past April? Was on the central route early after leaving Ponte de Lima.

OMG, we saw the same bizarre doll heads while passin by (also in April). We thought it was so creepy we bursted laughing! :D

That is probably a scarecrow, plus a scarepersons. I was taught this trick by someone from a rural area. You put the skull there to keep people out of your property. This person lived in a village with a great view over the fields from one window. Unfortunately one of his neighbours would use the open space to peep into his garden and his house, and he did not like that. So he put a sheep's skull on a stick, placed it near the road and facing the road. Worked like clockwork, the neighbour did not like the sight and never peeped again. Caminowise, the owner of the piece of land may be worried more about poaching, picking fruit or pooping.

My rural friend would love the picture with the doll's heads. Very creative.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That is probably a scarecrow, plus a scarepersons. I was taught this trick by someone from a rural area. You put the skull there to keep people out of your property. This person lived in a village with a great view over the fields from one window. Unfortunately one of his neighbours would use the open space to peep into his garden and his house, and he did not like that. So he put a sheep's skull on a stick, placed it near the road and facing the road. Worked like clockwork, the neighbour did not like the sight and never peeped again. Caminowise, the owner of the piece of land may be worried more about poaching, picking fruit or pooping.
Devilment, then ? :D

I walked past this thing in northern France. I remember making some lame jokes about it, something about headhunters and the inevitable 'having an old friend for diner' quote, but that didn't make it any less freaky...

2016-04-07-12.25.35.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Can't be devilment!! Everyone knows the Devil wears Prada, and the trousers do not look at all like Prada. K-mart maybe, but not the real thing. Although the pig does not seem to care...

Wasn't me, all my pig skulls are accounted for - Hel

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I saw this hanging from the branch of a tree on the VdlP between Monesterio and Fuente de Cantos. It looks like a pigs skull.
I'd say devilment.
You may say devilment, I'd have to say...keep walking! Really? But what do I know?

Can't be devilment!! Everyone knows the Devil wears Prada, and the trousers do not look at all like Prada. K-mart maybe, but not the real thing. Although the pig does not seem to care...
I'm reminded of a couple of lines from an old comic song where the pig did care.
"You can tell a man who boozes by the company he chooses
At that the pig got up and slowly walked away..."

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'd say devilment.
Coming from a country that it's a common occurrence called "macumba" just don't mess with it whatever it is was not meant for you, a little prayer doesn't hurt

zzotte

:) Please all remember there is stuff around far older than a tale of a fallen angel. That said I'm more inclined to the 'bored farmer' explanation than anything I'd be looking for a silver coin to avert.

A mounted skull is usually a 'stay clear', 'b*gger off' message: it doesn't presage anything further.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A mounted skull is usually a 'stay clear', 'b*gger off' message: it doesn't presage anything further.

I will be starting from Sevilla in a couple of days time. I'll keep an eye open for things like this. If it keeps the wild boar away I'm all for it. If I start seeing something similar with human skulls then I might get a little worried ;)

Eventually, the weather took the clothes and hat, and pilgrim vandals broke all the slate. It became just a black mannequin.

upload_2017-10-1_8-40-10.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back